Has CN/Toonami gone insane?!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:08 pm

ChristianKitsune wrote:I dunno...I just know that what was on probably would have been better later in the evening... that's all. :/

I hate to be antagonistic =\ But that's a subjective statement there. There could be people who disagree with you on that statement.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:32 pm

Another thing is that more and more kids are getting their own tvs with cable feeds to there room and speaking as a person who went through those years when I first got my cable I watched things my parents wouldnt of approved of and probably would of grounded me for it thats why I worry for my 7 year old brother and 3 year old sister
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:01 am

Correct, Ryan, it was my opinion...this entire thread is made up of opinions. ^_^

I know exactly what you mean, Mi-Ru-Me. :/
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:29 am

Mi-Ru-Me wrote:Another thing is that more and more kids are getting their own tvs with cable feeds to there room and speaking as a person who went through those years when I first got my cable I watched things my parents wouldnt of approved of and probably would of grounded me for it thats why I worry for my 7 year old brother and 3 year old sister

Very true I had cable in my room at one point and I would say the same thing. But it wouldn't be much of a problem if the V-Chip was used that's in almost every TV then parents could block programs with certain ratings.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby beau99 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:36 am

^ V-chips are obsolete.

A lot of TVs nowadays do have filtering programs though.
beau99

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:26 am

V-Chips or Filtering programs, (not exactly sure how to work a V-chip but I do know the filtering programs pretty well) Only work if the content is rated a certain level. The movies the showed on Toonami were reated Y7 I believe, maybe PG but I don't think so. If a setting is set to block something higher than Y7 or PG programming then the filter will only block things that are rated higher. In the case of these movies, a parent who previously set their televisions to block TV 14 or TV MA wouldn't get much of a result considering these movies weren't rated that high. :/

Also, filtering programs can be easily changed... I know I have done it so many times.. ^^;

I know what many in here are saying, that Parents need to take control and all that stuff. I guess it just saddens me that we have even come so far as to allow certain content into certain movies. Even in anime, there is a lot of offensive stuff that we shouldn't be viewing. But Japan's culture is a lot different than ours so it's sort of understandable...sort of.

I am over the age of 16 I think I am able to handle this stuff...however I believe some kids shouldn't be exposed to certain things at such a young age.. that's all I am saying. I don't want my little sister to grow up with a perverted mind and being a cuss-oholic. My parents are doing their best to raise her like they raised my sister and I. But with the content on TV getting racier and racier it's a bit scary...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby AsianBlossom » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:03 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I personally haven't seen what you're talking about, but I'll believe it. It IS getting scarier with all the garbage appearing on television these days. I mean, yes, freedom of speech and all that wonderful jazz, but at least don't poison the minds of our youth by exposing it to them, especially if it's inappropriate for their age level.

I just find it so scary that younger children are acting older and older as time goes by. I mean, I have been mistaken for a younger teenager simply because I don't look like my peers. I don't dress like I'm trying to grab every guy under the sun's attention, or like I'm some sort of fashion model reject. I dress in what's comfortable, thus making people think that I'm just starting highschool rather than finishing it.

Sorry; I just had to say that. And on a final side note, when I first saw the title for this thread, I thought, "Yeah, Cartoon Network and Toonami are loosing it; Teen Titans is now only on Saturdays at 11 and 11:30 a.m.!!" (Er...note: that's eastern time)
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby oro! » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:30 pm

I understand that cable networks can show any crap they wish in order to get whatever works to get an audience, however, I do have a problem with some of you defending immorality. Are you saying that we shouldn't be shocked at sin and hate it? Maybe some of you are not Christians, however, those of you who are: wake up! You are basically excusing sin with your statements. I understand what's real in this world, but we can change it. You say to move it to a different time. How about not at all? Should your age excuse exposing your mind to what is the opposite of what pleases God?
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:55 pm

Good point, Oro. I agree. Unfortunately, this world isn't run by Christians...and thus asking them to not show something wouldn't be easy...=_= I agree this stuff isn't good to be seen by anyone... But there are somethings that we as christians just have no say over... this is unfortunate.

The fact is.. things ARE going to get scarier...it's sort of predicted. They are going to get a lot worse before it gets better... the only thing we can do is pray, and not watch this stuff...

I am more worried about the kids that watch it though, their minds are easily swayed... and I don't want anyone to tell me otherwise, when I have a little sister who loves to mimic everything she sees on tv
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Stephen » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:56 pm

If society gets to the point, where everyone agrees TV is what is wrong with kids...we are beyond hope. If parents would do the job they are suposed to do....this would be a non-issue. But of course, lazy parents need a scapegoat. It is not just limited to parents though. As a society it is the thing to do. Nothing is my fault, blame music movies or TV. Obviously it is CN's fault my kids a hellion. *eyeroll*

As for my 2 cents I think if a person is convicted for watching somthing on CN...stop watching it. But not everyones convictions are the same. So to lable somthing sinful is going a bit far. I am sure things we all do might be considered sin by someone else. Movies we go to theaters to see, music we listen to, TV we watch, attitudes, etc.
Stephen

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:07 pm

I'm with Steve. Just because you feel convicted for watching something, doesn't mean everyone is, and I think to label something as sinful, is not the best way to go about things. Also remember just because you don't want to expose kids to it doesn't make it evil or immoral. There are good things too that we shouldn't want kids to know about. Am I saying the content of these movies is good? No, I'm not. I'm simply saying that just because you don't want kids to see it, doesn't make it evil or sinful.

By the way, please don't take this thread into the "Using bad language is un-Christian!" route, because it's been done to death on CAA many times before, and we all know how I feel about it. -.-

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:37 pm

Yeah, responsibility first rests on the parents. Not that the TV networks and cartoonists aren't sinning (there's never a need for skimpy clothes.) And CN knows that a lot of kids watch their stuff and parents can't be there every waking moment and kids are sneaky... Welcome to sin, so pray.

Bad words are relative anyways.

Whoa, made a serious post outside of the role play forums...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:03 am

You know they also showed two Hellboy movies that are so dark, disturbing and blasphemous I turned off the TV. However Mosaic was OK but not for kids under 13.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:58 am

They also happen to be a cable network.The rules are different for cable then for
broadcast networks.You can get away with things on cable that normally you wouldn't on over the air broadcast networks.
mitsuki lover

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:28 pm

Actually if you watch non-anime shows on [adult swim] then you will be appalled at some of the stuff in those shows. They poke fun at everyone including God and Jesus. Besides that there's raunchy humor and cursing (including bleeped out f, s bombs and uses of God's name in vain with **** and *** used with hole).
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:19 pm

Yeeah, most of those other shows are nasty...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:54 pm

The thing is to choose not to watch the shows that might offend you or that you find disgusting.
mitsuki lover

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:38 pm

ML is so right here. I mean, CN IS a cable network after all. But it still shocks me to see movies with profanity, violence, and fanservice/related nudity on a KID'S NETWORK nonetheless!
ilikegir33

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:41 pm

ilikegir33 wrote:But it still shocks me to see movies with profanity, violence, and fanservice/related nudity on a KID'S NETWORK nonetheless!

Kid's network?

I thought we as anime fans were above the whole "Cartoons are for children" ideology. It's called Cartoon Network. Not Children's Network.

I guess even among anime fans the "cartoons are kids' things" belief still exists. How curious.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Jih » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:53 pm

I still hold Hideaki Anno's parenting guide which is exposing children to as much as possible as early as possible. In most cases, I think children (such as myself when I was 12 or 13) will go and seek out whatever it is that's considered to be bad by their parents. Anyway, what's wrong with the lack of censorship on late night TV? I don't think we should have any censorship personally. Besides as the liberal inside of me would say, "The kids are going to figure it out and do it anyway."
Jih

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Nate wrote:Kid's network?

I thought we as anime fans were above the whole "Cartoons are for children" ideology. It's called Cartoon Network. Not Children's Network.

I guess even among anime fans the "cartoons are kids' things" belief still exists. How curious.

Thanks for clarifying that Nate. I was totally wrong. Yeah, it IS the Cartoon Network after all. But before Adult Swim there was Midnight Run. That was way less shocking than that stuff on Adult Swim (xcept 4 the anime lol)
ilikegir33

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:44 pm

I remember when on Sundays they used to have Black And White Overnight and they would air shows like Popeye and then they used to also air episodes of shows they were running on Boomerrang like Top Cat and Deputy Dawg.
mitsuki lover

Previous

Return to General Entertainment