What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby mai » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:43 pm

Tsubasa 10
Angel Shop 1
ES 4
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:57 pm

Ultimate Muscle Volume 8
World of Warcraft Volume 1

The former was picked up for no good reason and I will not read another. The latter was because I've been trying to read this series for some time and have only read the second of three.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:05 pm

Samurai Deeper Kyo volumes 1-5

Meh, it's an average series that screams out too many elements done by other Manga series, and done better in those series, but not too shabby in it's own right. So far, mostly action, intrigue, and fanservice (whose inclusion I find disappointing). I'm reading it more because it's there (my roommate's "Other" love), and because I haven't yet made time to read more of Rurouni Kenshin or watch more Basilisk.
Fish and Chips

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Yotsuba&! vol 3
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 3
Prince of Tennis vol. 10
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Fruits Basket vol. 6
Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 5
D. N. Angel vol. 4
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Adie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:33 am

Yotsuba&! volume 2.
Fullmetal Alchemist volume 2.
Adie

Postby Sanctum Angel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Nothing TT-TT I'm to poor to buy manga and if I wasn't I'd buy Trainman volume 2 both of them and all the shonen jumps and shojo beats I missed. As well as Beauty Pop
Sanctum Angel

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:04 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Meh, it's an average series that screams out too many elements done by other Manga series, and done better in those series, but not too shabby in it's own right. So far, mostly action, intrigue, and fanservice (whose inclusion I find disappointing). I'm reading it more because it's there (my roommate's "Other" love), and because I haven't yet made time to read more of Rurouni Kenshin or watch more Basilisk.

I read a volume or so some time ago and left the series for basically the same reasons you list. If by chance you continue it because it continues to be there, tell me if it improves or degenerates. There are times when I have enough time to read a simply average manga and don't mind doing so.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:42 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I read a volume or so some time ago and left the series for basically the same reasons you list. If by chance you continue it because it continues to be there, tell me if it improves or degenerates. There are times when I have enough time to read a simply average manga and don't mind doing so.

same here. i finished the first two volumes but stopped there because the manga just didn't seem to interest me. most of the fights included the main character simply changing personalities and then, w/o much effort, quickly dispatching of his opponent. the fan service was also a pretty big downside...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:49 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I read a volume or so some time ago and left the series for basically the same reasons you list. If by chance you continue it because it continues to be there, tell me if it improves or degenerates. There are times when I have enough time to read a simply average manga and don't mind doing so.

My roommate owns the first 21 volumes, so chances are I'll get back to you on that 16 volumes later, if then. And I'll at least say this in the series favor, they've gotten out of the split personality rut rather quickly, as now the main character has the reverse problem (stuck with the samurai while his traveling partners are trying to figure out how to reawaken the medicine man). And I've skimmed later volumes, so it does promise some improvement, but I still couldn't say if I'd advocate reading into it unless it just happens to be there.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:20 pm

Chronicles of the Cursed Sword

Another example of sampling a random series because it was at the library. I'd call it middle of the pack as far as shonen manwha goes. However, I'm glad I picked it up because it gave me a very interesting idea of my own.
uc pseudonym

Postby Lady Macbeth » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:36 pm

Ghost Hunt

I bought volumes 4 and 5 last weekend and I've been re-reading them ever since. I love that series to bits.
Toto, I don't think we're in Oz anymore...

I'm a woman - when I'm lost, I ask for directions.

Genjyo Sanzo: Banishing Stupidity, One Idiot at a Time
Lady Macbeth

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:32 am

Samurai Deeper Kyo volumes 6-10
Fish and Chips

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:48 am

Yotsuba&! vol. 2
Prince of Tennis vol. 11
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Adie » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Yotsuba&! volume 3.
Adie

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:24 pm

(Recent Discussion) + (Bit of Free Time) = Samurai Deeper Kyo

I'm not sure where I stopped, so I just started at a point where I hopefully missed little. So far it has seemed superior to the initial chapters.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:08 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:(Recent Discussion) + (Bit of Free Time) = Samurai Deeper Kyo

I'm not sure where I stopped, so I just started at a point where I hopefully missed little. So far it has seemed superior to the initial chapters.

I've been reading it on and off, and I have to say it's grown on me. Past the dreg of the first five or so volumes, it's rises above all that to become a surprisingly decent series. Particularly now that the Mibu have come out of the shadows.

Samurai Deeper Kyo volume 11-21

Also, Taihaku is pretty much awesome. You might not have met him yet, though.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:55 pm

Not yet, no. I haven't gotten a chance to read any more yet (though I may tonight; we'll see how fast I get everything done). Last night after posting I also started to read Soul Eater, which struck me much more positively than I expected. Standard shonen, but it has enough interesting elements that this isn't apparent unless you think about it.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:31 pm

I read a few chapters of Soul Eater awhile back. I don't remember it that well, but I sort of remember it having some wacky moves/characters. Tell me how it is as you get into it.

And, Samurai Deeper Kyo, huh? Well, if you two find it interesting, I might check it out when I have time.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:10 pm

MasterDias wrote:I read a few chapters of Soul Eater awhile back. I don't remember it that well, but I sort of remember it having some wacky moves/characters. Tell me how it is as you get into it.

And, Samurai Deeper Kyo, huh? Well, if you two find it interesting, I might check it out when I have time.

You'll need to persevere through the first couple of volumes, which are essentially little more than character introduction, episodic action, and fanservice. Once they get into the forest, though, it gets decidedly more awesome, and doubly so after the Mibu start to show up.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Still haven't read much more in that series. I'm to the point where Kyo is fighting "that man" though, for the sake of reference.

MasterDias wrote:I read a few chapters of Soul Eater awhile back. I don't remember it that well, but I sort of remember it having some wacky moves/characters. Tell me how it is as you get into it.

I've read about four volumes, which I believe is all that is currently available. As it has progressed some of the elements I didn't like (haphazardness, attempts at comedy, fanservice) have been lessened. Unfortunately, now that I have a better feeling for the plot, I don't think it is going to be anything exceptional. However, in general storyline and action it strikes me as at least par for the shonen course, so if you like some of the more unique elements it may interest you.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:06 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Still haven't read much more in that series. I'm to the point where Kyo is fighting "that man" though, for the sake of reference.

Ah, Oda then? Only guy in the series to own a horse.
Fish and Chips

Postby Adie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:23 pm

Fruits Basket volume 1.
Adie

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:04 am

Prince of Tennis vol 11
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:17 pm

Samurai Deeper Kyo through volume 14

As others have said, it has certainly outgrown its beginnings. However, the shonen formula is wearing old for me by this point. Too many characters seem to be presented as incredibly powerful too often. Things seemed relatively balanced until Nobunaga died and tons of people who can surpass him began appearing. Unfortunately, this is all of the manga I have access to without going to a bookstore or such.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:59 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Things seemed relatively balanced until Nobunaga died and tons of people who can surpass him began appearing.

UC! shouldn't that be put in spoiler tags?!
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:01 pm

Took me forever to finish Death Note vol 2, but I finally did it... and now that I've started Fruits Basket vol. 12 (not TOO too behind with it now...), i can imagine how long this one will take me to finish^^ Lack of time, lack of time :/
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:17 pm

jon_jinn wrote:UC! shouldn't that be put in spoiler tags?!

Trust me, Nobunga's late-game tagging is small fish compared to some other revelations I could happen to mention. And as over power levels over 9000, Akimine seems to prefer introducing a stock of characters, then developing them over a period of chapters. Powerful, yes, but plastic, no.

And I have to say I'm actually a fan of most of the Five Stars, overpowered though they may be.

No new Manga this week. I've been watching more than reading lately, and even my watching is usually limited.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:24 pm

jon_jinn wrote:UC! shouldn't that be put in spoiler tags?!

I don't think so. You don't learn who that character is until not long before he dies, and (and here I speak carefully to avoid spoilers) the circumstances surrounding his death make it not that big of a deal.

Fish and Chips wrote:Trust me, Nobunga's late-game tagging is small fish compared to some other revelations I could happen to mention. And as over power levels over 9000, Akimine seems to prefer introducing a stock of characters, then developing them over a period of chapters. Powerful, yes, but plastic, no.

And I have to say I'm actually a fan of most of the Five Stars, overpowered though they may be.

That's unfortunate to hear. I'll keep reading anyway, though, if I ever get the chance. However, I don't understand what you mean by "plastic".

Haven't met the Five Stars yet either, unless I just don't know about it. So far I like his characters, I just don't like how he doesn't seem to have any coherent power system worked out.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:55 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:That's unfortunate to hear. I'll keep reading anyway, though, if I ever get the chance. However, I don't understand what you mean by "plastic".

Plastic. Static. Undeveloped. His characters may be overpowered, sure, but at least most of them are fleshed out to a degree, as opposed to the flat, flavorless cardboard cut-out villains. Powerful, but also interesting. Not sure what you meant by "Unfortunate," unless you misread "Stock."
uc pseudonym wrote:Haven't met the Five Stars yet either, unless I just don't know about it. So far I like his characters, I just don't like how he doesn't seem to have any coherent power system worked out.

If you recognize the guy in my avatar, you've already met half of them. And I can't speak for the power system, that annoys me too, although I do understand why the Mibu are all so powerful, but that's a major spoiler I only know by chance.
Fish and Chips

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews