What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:25 pm

Berserk volume 28
Eyeshield 21 volume 12
Getbackers volume 17
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:05 pm

Death Note vol 2 to start.... soonish.
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:23 am

21st Century Boys chapter 6

And just when things we're quieting down, too. Naoki Urasawa, you lovable madman.
Fish and Chips

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:22 am

Rurouni Kenshin vol.2
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby mai » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:49 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I may read a shoujo title, Blood Alone, for a change of pace. We'll see if it holds my interest and develops in a solid manner.

You'll have to tell me what you think of it :) I've been thinking of reading it myself.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Well, I'm all of two chapters in, but I can offer a brief opinion. Right now it has a gentle, innocent feel. The vampires are fairly mundane, not really of the Bram Stoker variety or the Hellsing type either (the supernatural elements are fairly low key). I don't have a good feeling for if the plot is really worth anything, though. So far the character interaction feels fairly solid, but it doesn't take much to give this appearance and judging real characterization takes time. I'll keep following it, anyway.
uc pseudonym

Postby kryptech » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:51 pm

I noticed the local library has started a Hunter x Hunter collection so I checked out vol 1. It was kinda interesting so I'll probably continue working through the series and so how it goes.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:27 pm

kryptech wrote:I noticed the local library has started a Hunter x Hunter collection so I checked out vol 1. It was kinda interesting so I'll probably continue working through the series and so how it goes.

it's a really awesome series. the only really objectionable thing is the violence. the series is quite violent.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:25 pm

After picking up Monster vol. 7 at a nearby bookstore, I decided to browse through vol. 1 of Claymore, per UC's recomendation.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:36 pm

Ravages of Time

A highly inventive manwha based on the Warring States period of China. It makes some interesting variations on common legends from the time (for example, Luu Bu is not a tough idiot). Nothing spectacular but enjoyable reading.

Fish and Chips wrote:After picking up Monster vol. 7 at a nearby bookstore, I decided to browse through vol. 1 of Claymore, per UC's recomendation.

Any thoughts? The first volume doesn't begin the real plot but it does give a good sense of some aspects of the series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:11 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Any thoughts? The first volume doesn't begin the real plot but it does give a good sense of some aspects of the series.

Distinctive artwork. More of a European feel than a Japanese one, but then given the setting that was probably intentional. And thank you for telling me the first volume is more introductory than "Plottable." I'll need to read a little more before I reach a conclusion for that, then. Otherwise, though, Claymore has kind of the standard monster hunter genre feel, not too extraordinary. But then again, I said the same thing about D. Gray-Man at the time, so yeah, I'll definitely need to give it another whirl.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:40 pm

just read Hunter x Hunter 13 and Prince of Tennis 18.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Distinctive artwork. More of a European feel than a Japanese one, but then given the setting that was probably intentional. And thank you for telling me the first volume is more introductory than "Plottable." I'll need to read a little more before I reach a conclusion for that, then. Otherwise, though, Claymore has kind of the standard monster hunter genre feel, not too extraordinary. But then again, I said the same thing about D. Gray-Man at the time, so yeah, I'll definitely need to give it another whirl.

We'll see if you like it. Some of the general elements introduced in the first volume interested me, so if they felt standard to you the series might not be as involving. But what kept me reading with the series is a plot thread that grows only slowly. This probably isn't a real spoiler, but...
[spoiler]The organization seems pretty evil, doesn't it? Before five volumes are out, the yoma are essentially irrelevant because every character involved can slaughter dozens effortlessly. So it grows out of the monster hunter genre fairly quickly, but the substance might not change enough to strike you.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Well, there are certain genres that just don't appeal to me (exceptions to the rule pending). And no matter how they try to distinguish themselves, they usually just fall under those categories. Most of my favorite Manga series tend to somehow weave the plot in right away, even if the first few chapters or volumes are basically just introducing you to the universe. So I can appreciate introductory volumes, but it's harder for me to stick with them if they seem to be easily classifiable (for example, as I dubbed it, "Monster hunting.")

Still, next time I'm in a bookstore, I'll give it a second chance.
Fish and Chips

Postby Stephen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:22 pm

Just read Hellsing 6 and 7. 7 Is soooo sad!

[SPOILER] Poor Pip. At least he got his kiss. And Walter turning...bummer. I don't get how he is young again though....[/SPOILER]
Stephen

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:20 pm

ShatterheartArk wrote:Just read Hellsing 6 and 7. 7 Is soooo sad!

[SPOILER] Poor Pip. At least he got his kiss. And Walter turning...bummer. I don't get how he is young again though....[/SPOILER]

[spoiler]It seems like a side effect from his regenerative abilities (Doc admitted the procedure was rushed, I believe). Whenever he heals excessively, he grows younger. Mostly speculative.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby LittleTokyo91 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:22 pm

I've read:
One piece volume 8
Naruto volume 1
Gundam wing volume 1
Beyblade volumes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Whistle volumes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
so far thats it.
LittleTokyo91

Postby kryptech » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:22 am

Read Bleach vol 17 (I wasn't keen on the cover and extras, but I'm continuing to really enjoy the rest)
Read Hunter x Hunter vol 2 (working on vol 3)
jon_jinn wrote:the series is quite violent.

Ya, I was bit surprised by that as the cover and main character have a rather youthful appearance. It is rated "Older Teens" though.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:23 pm

zombie powder 3.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Are you reading the Viz releases, then? Tell me, are the extra manga worth it? I was curious when they said each volume would have rejected concepts by Kubo Tite, but I haven't had time to browse them at a bookstore yet.

Chances are I'll read a shoujo (though not purely such) manga called Superior. It seems somewhat interesting, if its premise doesn't become annoying.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:01 pm

yes. i AM reading the Viz releases. i, personally, don't believe that the extra mangas are all that great. i'd rather them simply have 180+ pages of zombie powder instead of 150 and then like a 30 page short story...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:55 am

Berserk vol.23

Rurouni Kenshin vol.13

Airgear vol.3

Alot of 3's in there for some reason...lol
Ichigo_89

Postby mai » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:17 pm

Blood Alone 1
A Midnight Opera 1
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby bakura_fan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:44 pm

Kage Tora, Destiny's Hand, and Fruits Basket for now.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby MasterDias » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:47 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Are you reading the Viz releases, then? Tell me, are the extra manga worth it? I was curious when they said each volume would have rejected concepts by Kubo Tite, but I haven't had time to browse them at a bookstore yet.

I looked at one of these very briefly. Story-wise, I can't give an opinion on, but I remember thinking that his early art looked really cluttered and unrefined in the one I saw.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Prince of Tennis vol. 10
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories vol. 2
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:17 am

Rurouni Kenshin volume 1

First volume was fairly ho-hum in terms of progression and artwork, but flipping through a later volume on the shelf caught my interest (better artwork, more solid story), so now I want to draw a connection between the two.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:10 pm

Cristo
Takeru - Susanoh
If You Wanna Break Out of This World

Random selection of new series I'm sampling. The first has struck me as a pretty mundane monster story that doesn't escape typical shonen failings. The second is a much better executed action title; it hasn't lost my interest yet but also hasn't proved itself. The last is actually josei and I'm not sure if I'll go back to it. I don't care about the main characters in the slightest, but there's a couple that actually seems cool (a rarity in anime and manga) and I may continue in the hope we'll get to see more of them.
uc pseudonym

Postby Adie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Yotsuba&! volume 1.
Fullmetal Alchemist volume 1.
Adie

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:50 pm

iD_Entity

A random volume appeared at the library, so I thought I'd sample it. While it doesn't strike me as particularly unique it succeeds in being generic action better than many series. Also, it deals more with actual gaming than .hack, which is the easiest comparison. Probably not as deep, but in some ways it actually has more substance.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews