The 300

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The 300

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Based on the graphic novel by Frank Miller, the movie adaption of The 300 looks to be a tour de force in cinematography! I havn't been this excited about a movie in a long time. Gotta love Epic stuff like this :thumb: Who else is psyched?
Ichigo_89

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:54 pm

Underwhelmed.The commercials make it look too much like a videogame.
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:12 pm

i saw one preview for it and thought it looked pretty cool. don't think i'll be watching it anytime soon though...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Puguni » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:15 pm

My teacher is really psyched because of the classical story. They're really putting a lot of money into advertising and it looks cool, but it might be a bit too violent for me, maybe? For anyone who has seen it, I'd like to know. :> I can take violence like the one seen from Troy.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Really if anyone's really going to have objections to it besides violence it will probably be in the sexual content. I've read an advance review on it and it does have a sex scene in it.

I'm seriously stoked for this though I loved the original graphic novel and everything about this movie looks phenominal. A bunch of my friends and I are going to see it on midnight opening night which is awesome because our spring break starts the next day. And Puguni I would tell your teacher that it's loosely based on the historical event. It takes some definite liberties with characterization of historical figures, the strength and number of actual Spartans and non Spartans (it wasn't really just 300 Spartans they had help from other Greek states) fighting the Persians, and of course the extremely exagerrated feats in combat. But it's not looking to be a text book adaptation on film. It uses the characters and setting and while staying true to the memory of the Spartans to make a great story.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:49 pm

Yojimbo wrote:Really if anyone's really going to have objections to it besides violence it will probably be in the sexual content. I've read an advance review on it and it does have a sex scene in it.

And that's what'll probably keep me from going to see it. Sucks, too, because it looks like an amazing film, from the previews. :/
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:45 pm

It would work better if the cinematography didn't have a videogame feel to it.
Or better yet if it had been done as an animated film.I predict it will end up getting a coveted Razzberry Award.
Aside from the cinematography the dialog is overly cheesey,at least from what they had in the ads.
In the end this was probably made for 17 year old boys to take their 15 year old brothers to on an afternoon so that their mothers could get them out of their hair.
Not tremendously great or anything.
mitsuki lover

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:49 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:It would work better if the cinematography didn't have a videogame feel to it.
Or better yet if it had been done as an animated film.I predict it will end up getting a coveted Razzberry Award.
Aside from the cinematography the dialog is overly cheesey,at least from what they had in the ads.
In the end this was probably made for 17 year old boys to take their 15 year old brothers to on an afternoon so that their mothers could get them out of their hair.

Or it's made for the fans of Frank Miller's comics, which are usually targeted to a more adult crowd. Just a guess. >_>
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:15 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:In the end this was probably made for 17 year old boys to take their 15 year old brothers to on an afternoon so that their mothers could get them out of their hair.

That's why they put a sex scene in it, right? Because sex scenes are always in movies for fifteen year olds.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:26 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:It would work better if the cinematography didn't have a videogame feel to it.

Yes. Which is why the Graphic Novel is hailed as one of the best of all time. It is also why it was given the following awards:

wikipedia wrote:The series won three Eisner Awards in 1999: "Best Limited Series", "Best Writer/Artist" for Frank Miller and "Best Colorist" for Lynn Varley.

So, yes. The movie will be horrible and anyone who likes it is obviously either a hormone driven teenage boy or just plain stupid person with bad taste. /sarcasm

Please, do some research before you open your mouth. (or in this case, type nonsense.)
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Puguni » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Yojimbo wrote:And Puguni I would tell your teacher that it's loosely based on the historical event. It takes some definite liberties with characterization of historical figures, the strength and number of actual Spartans and non Spartans (it wasn't really just 300 Spartans they had help from other Greek states) fighting the Persians, and of course the extremely exagerrated feats in combat. But it's not looking to be a text book adaptation on film. It uses the characters and setting and while staying true to the memory of the Spartans to make a great story.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my teacher is extremely well informed about this movie. She knows exactly about the comic book made by Frank Miller because she has a hard cover copy and is fully aware that it's not historically accurate. She's just been following this movie because of her adoration of comic books, the classics and the fact that it looks like it's going to be a terrific movie. My Latin teacher is no ordinary teacher, not by a long shot. :]

She encouraged her students to see it, but I wonder about the content, which is why a little insight would be nice.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:47 pm

There is very little chance I will see this film in theaters, but if it is positively reviewed and I have a chance to watch it on DVD with others later I might. Basically, I like the premise but it isn't enough to motivate me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:50 am

Se7en. 23. 24. 300. The 4400. It's a good thing numbers are infinite, or we'd have run out of film and television titles by now.

Looking forward to this movie with healthy skepticism.
Fish and Chips

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 am

I finaly got around to watching the full trailer. Oh dear. There are some great comic to screen transitions. So I did a quick google search to see if anyone had made a gallery of them. They did.

Warning: Website may contain swearing.
Link
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:51 am

ikimasu wrote:I finaly got around to watching the full trailer. Oh dear. There are some great comic to screen transitions. So I did a quick google search to see if anyone had made a gallery of them. They did.

I read that the movie is shot-for-shot adaptation of the comic book and knowing Frank Miller, it is.

Col. Roy Mustang
Roy Mustang

Postby Yojimbo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:04 pm

Roy Mustang wrote:I read that the movie is shot-for-shot adaptation of the comic book and knowing Frank Miller, it is.

Col. Roy Mustang

Sin City was pretty much a word for word/shot for shot adaptation with a few exceptions so we can expect that here too.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby silverSky » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:16 pm

I found Frank Miller's Sin City interesting and intriquing, so this might do the same for me as well. However I will end up watching this movie when it hit Starz.
I rarely go to the movies because nothing interest me enough to catch on the big screen. I usually make a mental note of the movie and catch it on DVD or some movie channel.

Although I do want to see Spiderman 3 and Sherk 3 on the big screen. ^_^

silverSky
Jhn 1: 1-5 KJ

1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2) The same was in the beginning with God.
3) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4) In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5) And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Psalm 115: 105-106 OKJ

105) Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
106) I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgements.

Psalm 91:1-2

1) He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty
2) I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
silverSky

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:38 pm

The reviews are starting to come in. They like it. It's good!

Rotten Tomatoes Link

Cognitive Gear

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:54 pm

100%. Impressive.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:28 am

ikimasu wrote:The reviews are starting to come in. They like it. It's good!

Rotten Tomatoes Link

Did not see that coming.

If the reviews continue being good, I will probably go see this.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:50 am

Caught a midnight showing.

Impressive actions scenes, excellent sense of style and atmosphere, and suprising historical accuracy (sans certain creative liberties).
Fish and Chips

Postby termyt » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:52 am

The event the movie portrays is perhaps one of the most significant events in the development of Western Culture. That alone makes the subject matter of some interest. That said, the movie will be more of a blood and beefcake fest than interesting historical insight, so my interest is diminished.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:32 pm

I too caught a midnight showing. T'was alright, I guess. The action, booldy as it may have been, was spectacular, and it deffinately captured the whole comic book look well. The story's not anything that hasn't already been done better many times, though, and the sexual contet is a real turn off (wow, that looks funny now that I've said it).

I guess I enjoyed it, but I wasn't the one who payed for my ticket. If I had been, I probably would have been disapointed.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Shinja » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:42 pm

saw it, wish i haddent, couldnt pull anything reedeming out of it, lots of violence and death for no real moral reason, didnt portray the real events and stood out to me as a good paradigm of the ideals of a Godless world. could have been much better. it was also way too CG'd. it was like the matrix only everybody was naked and with even less caracter definition. i also tink im the only one to get the underlying message of religion is foolishness and humanism is wisdom.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:12 pm

That wasn't an underlying message that I caught. The major underlying message I did catch felt kind of like a "support the war" kind of thing. Saw it. Wasn't expecting much. I came away supremely impressed.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:07 am

Shinja wrote:saw it, wish i haddent, couldnt pull anything reedeming out of it, lots of violence and death for no real moral reason, didnt portray the real events and stood out to me as a good paradigm of the ideals of a Godless world. could have been much better. it was also way too CG'd. it was like the matrix only everybody was naked and with even less caracter definition. i also tink im the only one to get the underlying message of religion is foolishness and humanism is wisdom.

Did you even know what you were going to be seeing, or did you just buy a ticket because everyone was going? By the trailers alone you should have been able to tell that you would not enjoy this film. This was never meant to be an accurate portrayal of the historical events, but the retelling of a story that has since become legend.

In case you didn't know, violence and death is rarely for a "moral" reason. I would also like to point out that the Spartans were fighting to preserve their culture and way of life. If that isn't worth fighting for, I don't know what is.

Also, had you read the source material or even looked at the art of the source material you would know that the movie looks the way it does for a reason. It really does look like they tore open a dimensional rift and let the characters loose while filming it.

Warning: :rant:

There is no anti-religion undertone! Or racial or support for the war. This story has nothing to do with those, nor is it trying to. Simply because they abandoned the "gods" of their forefathers in order to fight the Persians does not make this "anti-religious". By that logic, this movie is also anti-government because they left against the will of the council. Oh, and it's also promoting aborting babies for mental/physical defects. Because the Spartans abandoned any child who was imperfect. It's also anti-ninja because the immortals looked like them. It's also promoting the slaying of endangered species. The Spartans did kill those elephants and that rhinoceros. I could go on, but this rant is an unreadable wall of text already.

Cognitive Gear

Postby Animus Seed » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:52 am

I found the movie absolutely amazing.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to a Greek history major, and hearing her alternately squeal in delight and moan in frustration as the movie went on.

(FnC was a row behind me, even.)

As for the anti-religion thing:
There is a line about defeating the Persians and "freeing the world from mysticism and tyranny." Because we all know the Greeks were humanist and not mystical or superstitious at all, right...?

Well, whatever. I don't see the point of dragging that... er, point on.

This is a movie with a simple goal: to show cool buff guys fighting. It succeeds admirably.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Zilch » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:07 am

IGNORE POST!
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:09 am

Awesomely amazing movie
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:47 am

I think these anti-religious concerns are self-fed. It was a religious time, the people with their pantheons, oracles, and godkings. Parallels, intended or otherwise, will be drawn individually. It's probably all in your head.

And although the film is (obviously) highly stylized with creative liberties take left and right for the sake of costumes and killing, I found what details I could recognize surprisingly historically accurate. Spartan upbringing, phalanx tactics (when used), soldier counts, the role of the Immortals, the Senate, etc. Just details, but I was pleased they thought to poke at them.
Fish and Chips

Next

Return to General Entertainment