The Last Unicorn comes to DVD 2/6/7!!!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Last Unicorn comes to DVD 2/6/7!!!!

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:43 am

One of my favorite non-anime cartoons has finally come to DVD! The Last Unicorn! So, is anyone gonna pre-order it? I know I'm gonna buy it!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby EireWolf » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:53 am

This is the 25th Anniversary Edition, which is supposed to be better quality than the 2004 release. (It's been on DVD for a while, but the quality was supposedly pretty bad.)

Some of the reviewers on Amazon are saying that Peter S. Beagle (the author of the Last Unicorn novel) is not getting any royalties for this release (which is just wrong). So I looked it up... if you buy it directly from Conlan Press, Beagle gets royalties (more than half of each sale). It costs $10 more for an autographed copy, but I'm all for supporting artists/writers. :) You can also get an un-autographed copy for the same price Amazon sells it for -- and you benefit the author.

Go here for more info: http://www.conlanpress.com/youcanhelp/

I'm buying the autographed copy. I'd just feel wrong buying it anywhere else, knowing what they're doing to Beagle.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:03 am

How did it compare to the book?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:12 am

Sure, I'd buy that. Good film. Assuming the price isn't absolutely insane like with The Flight of Dragons.
Fish and Chips

Postby EireWolf » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:03 pm

The price is pretty good, actually. $14.98 for an un-autographed DVD; $24.98 for autographed (by the author of the novel).

How did it compare to the book?
I haven't actually read the book yet, so I couldn't tell ya.

EDIT: This is interesting. I just ordered the DVD from Conlan Press, and got a letter along with my email receipt:

Conlan Press wrote:Thank you for helping Peter S. Beagle by purchasing the new DVD of THE LAST UNICORN from Conlan Press, instead of from somewhere else. More than half of what you just spent will go to support Peter and his projects, but if you had bought it somewhere else, Peter would have gotten nothing.

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

* Granada Media International (the English company that owns the animated film of THE LAST UNICORN) has sold more than a million copies on DVD and videotape since 1999. By contract, they owe Peter hundreds of thousands of dollars in royalties, but so far they have refused to pay him a cent.
* Peter has fought for three years to get his due, so far without success.
* He still isn't getting any royalties from the DVD you just bought, either (not as long as Granada keeps stonewalling).
* However, the people at Lionsgate Entertainment (the film's American distributor) are great folks. To make it possible for American fans of THE LAST UNICORN to finally own a GOOD version, they are putting out this special digitally-remastered 25th Anniversary Widescreen DVD. And to help Peter, they have agreed to let us sell copies via the Conlan Press website. By purchasing here you have put money straight into Peter's pocket and helped him in his quest for justice.
* Please spread the word. If you know anyone who wants to buy this DVD, tell them why they should buy it here.

Thank you very much! (And thanks to Lionsgate for caring.)

If you'd like to know more about the situation, and what you can do about it, go to http://www.conlanpress.com/youcanhelp.

And if you'd like to add your own voice to the people from more than 34 countries who have stood up for Peter, just go to http://www.conlanpress.com/html/fans_speak.html and follow the instructions there.

Peter S. Beagle needs support in the fight to get him his due for the animated versions of THE LAST UNICORN and THE LORD OF THE RINGS. To learn all the details and find out how you can help, go to: http://www.conlanpress.com/youcanhelp.

Sincerely,

The folks at Conlan Press
EireWolf

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:16 pm

EireWolf wrote:EDIT: This is interesting. I just ordered the DVD from Conlan Press, and got a letter along with my email receipt:

Yeah, there was a fairly big controversy over royalties of the film.
Fish and Chips

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:12 pm

I will definitely have to re-buy this when its released. I have the 2004 DVD and aside from the nostalgic moment I had watching it for the first time since I was six, the movie experience sucked. Not the movie itself but the whole presentation of it. Crappy cropping, faded colors, bad sound etc. And the box cover was UGLY! I sure hope they improve the cover art cause the one I have looks like its a movie that only 2-5 year olds would enjoy judging by the cover alone.

EDIT: Sweet. Much better box art =D Not much special features but at least its in Widescreen!!! You know, though, if I had heard about this release earlier I probably would have written colonpress or whoever for one *tiny* suggestion: Keep the movie exactly the way it is but PLEASE!!, on that "Now that I'm a Woman" song, re-dub it with the version of the song that was on the original motion picture soundtrack. It was sung by someone who COULD sing on the CD were as in the movie, the voice of the unicorn could NOT sing and that scene makes my ears bleed every time.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:49 pm

Wow, this was favorite my when I was a little girl. My Dad said every time we went to the video store we got it. I must have been in kindergarten.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:43 am

Fun fact: Rene Auberjonis (Odo on DS9) has a voice credit. He also did a voice on Transformers too.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby EireWolf » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Odo was in The Last Unicorn? COOOOOOOOL! :thumb:

I am such a nerd. :hits_self

Doubleshadow, it was one of my faves as a wee lass, too. I have to get it, if only for the nostalgia factor.

But really, it's not only for the nostalgia factor, or I'd buy up all the Fraggle Rock episodes too.

Now, there's an idea... :grin:
EireWolf

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:48 pm

EireWolf wrote:Odo was in The Last Unicorn? COOOOOOOOL! :thumb:

Christopher Lee was in The Last Unicorn. :rock:
Fish and Chips

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:22 am

I ordered it from the site. I usually don't buy movies twice but this has been my favorite cartoon since I was 5. I heard though that the other word for "darn "is edited from this version. I guess to keep it rated G by todays standards? With the busty tree, the harpy and strategically covered Amalthia, I would have thought the language wouldn't really be a big deal here.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby EireWolf » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:43 pm

I received mine the other day... *happy sigh* So good.
EireWolf

Return to General Entertainment