The Host

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Host

Postby Maledicte » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:22 pm

Anyone hear of it? It was the blockbuster Korean movie last year, and it's going on limited release in theaters in the US. It's your standard monster movie--mutated fish thing goes on rampage--but with a dysfunctional family trying to rescue their daughter, political satire, and a good heap of comedy.

Right now I'm watching it in increments on Youtube, but it's unsubtitled. I like it so far--I love how the monster isn't hidden for half the movie, it just gallops in and starts eating people. Very gross and unusual monster design (very froggy), the animation's pretty good but actually looks better in daylight than in concealing night scenes.

Good music too, I must say.
Maledicte

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:23 pm

The Host (Gweomul) is a great monster movie. Good to see you're enjoying it. Too bad you can't get the subtitles though =(

It's not all shrills and thrills though. The overarching point of the movie is actually a social commentary on the lower-class citizens of Korea. Such as that in the end, it's all the big guys in black suits talking things over, and they don't really affect the poorer people. And also how the poorer people simply don't care. They just live to live their lives and such.

Great film. I loved it. It's no surprise it currently ranks #1 in Korea's box office.

American Dudes: "Blah blah blah highly scientific words in english no virus blah blaH blah no way the korean guy would understand us blah blah"
Korean Guy: "... What? No virus?"

That part was hilarious XD

Oh and Song Kang-Oh is like my favorite Korean actor (The daughter's father). One of his best performances was in Joint Security Area. I highly recommend it. It's available in Region-1 now.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby memmer66 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:15 pm

How gory is it?
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:36 pm

Not gory really gory. There are scenes with the Monster eating people and stuff, and a fair amount of blood and bones. But no gore or explosive guts or innards spilling out. *Laughs at Radical Dreamer*
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:38 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Not gory really gory. There are scenes with the Monster eating people and stuff, and a fair amount of blood and bones. But no gore or explosive guts or innards spilling out. *Laughs at Radical Dreamer*

Aha. Ahaha. Ahahahahahaa.

:P

XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Maledicte » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Not very gory from what I saw, but still a bit disturbing (the monster attacking the people in the trailer--subdued but VERY well-done). Some of the violence is kind of funny too, like the girl with the headphones.
Maledicte

Return to General Entertainment