Another Sign Cartoon Network As Lost It

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Another Sign Cartoon Network As Lost It

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:25 pm

If you have been watching Fox News Channel the past half hour or hour you know that one of the things they've been talking about is a stupid stunt that Cartoon Network's Adult Swim pulled in Boston to advertise for
Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
The only positive thing is now more people have heard of AS and ATHF.
The bad thing is that now more people have heard about that stupid ATHF.
Now in the past such a stunt wouldn't have been that big a deal,however since 9/11 Law Enforcement has gotten a bit figetty about such things.
What makes it even worse is that the location made it appear that it was a serious threat.
This of course made the Boston and Massachuetts officals call out the Emergency workers,etc.Which now turns out to be a waste.
Now one has to wonder if there is any sanity left in AS.
One thing for sure someone is going to get fired.
mitsuki lover

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:38 pm

For those of us who do not watch Fox News... What happened? Got a link?
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby samuraidragon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:57 pm

-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:02 pm

On the one hand, I don't see why law enforcement has to get THAT worked up over things. It's that kinda stuff that causes panic among the populace.

On the other hand, it's pretty ridiculous that AS did this in the first place. I am a fan of the Aqua Teens, but even I can admit that this was a pretty dumb idea.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:15 pm

Mitsuki, are you still bitter about Aqua Teen taking the place of some lame anime? (If I recall thats what your hate of AT stems from)

As is the case with all things media and whatnot, any attention is good attention. I thought the whole thing was funny myself...
Stephen

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:39 pm

Waaaitt.. AS did this!?

baaaah...stupid people

although it was funny to hear the news casters say "Apparently this is a rebellious symbol against the government XDD"
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:44 pm

CR did they actually say that on Fox?
Stephen

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:01 pm

They switched over to a Local Boston Fox Channel on Fox News (to Listen in) and yes, they DID say that. Or something to that effect. I was just giggling! I was like "Okay, unless these two characters have a double meaning.... they are just mooninites!!"

ROFL! I am watching FN right now, and Shepard smith mistook Master Shake, Meatwad and Frylock as the Mooninites! ROFL!!!

Ohhh maaaaan...this is really hilarious!!! Such a horrible little publicity stunt!! AS is really stupid...oh boy... I like that channel but..

One Question I have is did CNN know about it?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:05 pm

Wow. Every negative sterotype about Fox just became true if they made that comment. You would have to be a senial old man to get an anti-government meaning from a mooninite. God help this country. Was this action foolish? Yes. Anti-government? Heck no.
Stephen

Postby beau99 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:20 pm

This is the best promo stunt [as] has ever done.
beau99

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:31 pm

ShatterheartArk wrote:Wow. Every negative sterotype about Fox just became true if they made that comment. You would have to be a senial old man to get an anti-government meaning from a mooninite. God help this country. Was this action foolish? Yes. Anti-government? Heck no.

It wasn't FOX NEWS out of NewYork.. it was a LOCAL Fox Channel out of Boston that said this. Fox news merely was airing the other fox's coverage XDDD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:31 pm

I would say this to Fox.

"You and your...third dimension....oh, no. It's cute. On the moon, we have 5...5000 dimensions."
Stephen

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:36 pm

ROFL!!! I totally quoted that earlier when I was telling my sister about it!! HEHE!!

I actually like Fox news better than any other Cable news...^^; but wow...this is just hilarious!

Apparently FN wasn't the only stupid ones though our security officials weren't the brightest either... though I have to wonder... why in the heck didn't AS speak up sooner?! Wouldn't they have avoided a lot of controversy?

I just hope this doesn't make people like, Cancel CN or AS...that would majorly suck..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:38 pm

Perhaps I've skimmed the article too quickly, but has Adult Swim made an official statement on the subject? Because it strikes me that they might have intended exactly this. Right now they have their publicity and even if they're fined it could be viewed as money well spent. Not that I approve of this, but that's how the situation looks to me.
uc pseudonym

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:41 pm

Turner Broadcasting has spoken on behalf of the AS people, saying that they regret the outcome of this incident. They didn't mean for this to happen...basically..

so yesh they have talked...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:41 pm

As I said, notice is notice. Even if it does get them a fine. While there are AT haters out there....so many people have yet to know the love that is Carl, Meatwad, Shake, and company. Open your hearts people. Let a little Mooninite in.
Stephen

Postby beau99 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:42 pm

^^ Yeah, they placed these things in 10 different cities weeks ago. None of this was intended to happen.
beau99

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:51 pm

/me huggles Meatwad!

I like ATHF!! I just dont some of the content...but I looooove meatwad!!

Watch...these Lightboards are gonna be all over t-shirts at Hottopic..just watch!! :3
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:20 pm

Wow, that's...pretty hilarious. XD Why anyone thought those blinking lights were potential bombs is beyond me, though I do think AS should have contacted...whoever they're supposed to contact to display stuff like that. It would have gone over a lot more smoothly, I'm guessing. XD

I just wish Geraldo Rivera had done the story. That would have made the hilarious factor go up by at least 5 points. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:02 pm

Apparently Adult Swim's normal Disclaimer has a long apology notice.. i didn't get a chance to read it all.. I commend them on that...

it's still floors me that AS would do something this drastic to promote their series though XDDD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby samuraidragon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:30 pm

Well if someone saw blinking lights on a circuit board with wires all over in a subway I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was a time bomb or something. Especially considering the London subway bombing.
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:31 pm

Two men have been arrested for planting the cartoon publicity ploy.

This is just down right silly.

Since my comment on this matter would sound like ShiroiHikari commets. I agree with her on what she said on the matter.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:18 pm

Geez. They are taking this way to far. It was a joke people. We are losing it as a nation due to fear. I think tomorrow I am gonna scream and fall out of my truck at the first intersection I come to. Because those blinking overhead lights might be Osama and Jim Morison in a UFO come to get me!
Stephen

Postby beau99 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:20 pm

And Bill O'Reilly is saying Ted Turner should be arrested.

Um... I'm not a fan of Turner, but he doesn't run adult swim so he had no control over this.

Get a grip, Bill. You make us Irish-Americans look bad.
beau99

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:21 pm

May it be public knowledge that before this day, I liked and respected Fox news.
Stephen

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:49 pm

beau99 wrote:And Bill O'Reilly is saying Ted Turner should be arrested.

Um... I'm not a fan of Turner, but he doesn't run adult swim so he had no control over this.

Bill O'Reilly needs to get out more.

Ted Turner doesn't even run TBS anymore for that matter. He hasn't since late 90's and all of Turner Broadcasting is own by Time Warner.

Is Bill O'Reilly going to go after the warners and the warner sister now?

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:11 am

Honestly AS should have known better, especially since there was another incedent with planted objects a while back (mario brothers box girls) and the participants got arrested, and it's not the first time that a company has gotten smacked down by a city for advertising (microsoft got fined by NYC for vandalism after they had the MSN butterfly logo chalked onto the streets).

Reguardless of my opinion of the show, I think the ads should have been thought through better and better notifications provided to the authorities. I think their lack of knowledge of the plan is the biggest error that was made. You really can't do whatever you want in a city without notifying someone, since without context, authorities won't be garanteed to know anything about a product, especially something tied to a show that is A. only 15 minutes long twice on a weeknight and B. only on a network that most citizens do not watch.

To me it seems that AS got cocky and thought that they were more than they are, which is a NITCH cable channel, NOT a universally recognised brand (especially in the case of ATHF moonites), and lost track of the fact that people are panicky and didn't have any frame of reference to recognise the odd square blinking objects that were being placed in critical locations to city functionality (bridges and tunnels for example).

If you were driving down the street and saw a blinking square on a bridge support with an odd pattern on it, that wasn't there the day before, what would you think... honestly, it might freak me out a bit too.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:24 am

HA HA. HA HA HA. Bill O'Reilly. Just hearing that guy's name makes me laugh.

Anyway...I think everyone is making too big a deal out of this. I also think Cartoon Network was kinda stupid for doing this. As to the question of why they didn't get permission, it's simple. Apparently the fines for something like this are actually cheaper than the cost of getting a permit.

But America is so paranoid now, it's ridiculous. From the article:

"It's almost too easy to be a terrorist these days," said Jennifer Mason, 26. "You stick a box on a corner and you can shut down a city."

Terrorism isn't just about killing people and destroying cities. It's also about making people constantly live in fear and terror...hence why it's called "terrorism."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Stephen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:16 pm

Ding ding ding. Someone get Nate a cookie.

Nate wrote:Terrorism isn't just about killing people and destroying cities. It's also about making people constantly live in fear and terror...hence why it's called "terrorism."

If only everyone would realise that.
Stephen

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:25 pm

ShatterheartArk wrote:If only everyone would realise that.

I wish people would realise that. But Network news media knows that fear is a great for them and a good selling point.

And some people are going to believe everything that the news media tells them.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Next

Return to General Entertainment