Enjoying a "stinker"...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Enjoying a "stinker"...

Postby Stiletto » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:31 pm

Does it ever bother you knowing that you may be the only one who enjoys a certain, unpopular movie?

Out of all the reviews made by professional critics and the like on rottentomatoes.com, it definitely seems unsettling knowing that there is a vast majority who would trash a movie that you, in contrary to popular opinion, enjoy fully.

A couple of examples for me would be "It's Pat the Movie" and "Titan AE". I know the former scored high on the IMDB bottom 100 worst movies, but it somehow was an enjoyable and funny movie to me. And Titan AE was definitely a dud in the box office and was panned by a majority of movie critics during it's release. Yet, it was a phenomenal sci-fi film that happens to be one of my favorite animated movies of all time.

Can anyone relate?
Stiletto

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:36 pm

I thought Titan AE was very fun and well done!
Thr3e, I haven't seen yet but I doubt it's quite as bad as RT says.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:42 pm

I also thought Titan AE was a good movie. The movie was very well done as an animated sci-fi movie. I also like Disney's Treasure Planet that also did poorly at the box office.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Disney's Atlantis. Now that's one I enjoyed greatly. Very Indiana Jones-ish but with a bit of steampunk thrown in. Too revolutionary for the people who wanted more talking animals and tapping songs.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Animus Seed » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:52 pm

I loved Treasure Planet!

Everyone in my family except me adores the movies "White Chicks" and "Taxi." I don't care for them that much.

I did like the Underworld movies, however; as well as Van Helsing.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:10 am

I tend to be very critical and strict when I watch movies. I've noticed in the past that the overall score on rotten tomatoes and my own personal opinion tend to be near-consistent with Rotten Tomatoes.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:08 am

Titan AE is a great example of this type of movie. In all hanesty, it's a good sci-fi movie with fantastic dialog (Go Joss Whedon). It had a few plot wholes here and there, but the movie was entertaining enough that I am more than willing to overlook them.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:29 am

I also thought Van Helsing was pretty good too.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:53 am

Tron was rather good Disney Sci Fi movie.
I don't really read the reviews for what the critics say,I read them to see what the movie is about.
mitsuki lover

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Stiletto wrote:A couple of examples for me would be "It's Pat the Movie"

LOL no way! That movie's like, a huge inside joke with my friends, ever since one of my friends tried describing the bits that she saw from it years ago. So all my friends got together and watched it... later on I found it for cheap on DVD at Walmart, so just HAD to pick it up^^

I can only think of one movie at the moment that I feel like I'm the only one who likes it (well, the minority at least): Eragon DESPITE all the complaints...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:19 pm

My buddy Rob and I enjoyed Van Helsing, Super Mario Bros., and the Bill and Ted movies.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:54 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:My buddy Rob and I enjoyed Van Helsing, Super Mario Bros., and the Bill and Ted movies.

.rai//

Hahaha, I remember the Super Mario Bros. movie! XD Man, that thing was...well, an abomination, if you're looking for a movie that doesn't stray far from the game. XD It was pretty funny, though, if only because it was so cheesy. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:54 pm

Bill and Ted was so popular.

I have to say Eragon was amazing....:eyeroll:
Tommy

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:56 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Hahaha, I remember the Super Mario Bros. movie! XD Man, that thing was...well, an abomination, if you're looking for a movie that doesn't stray far from the game. XD It was pretty funny, though, if only because it was so cheesy. XD

Last year on my birthday we rented the VHS (in one of the rare rental places that have them) and ym friends and I re-watched the movie that we had watched years ago... brought back nostalgic memories and everything^^ Although apparently, there won't be a DVD of it probably ever... something about the VHS company sold the movie or something like that :/

Tom Dincht wrote:
I have to say Eragon was amazing....:eyeroll:

Har har har... didn't say it was AMAZING, just said I liked it (wow the Eragon bashing almost brings back the days of a certain bad dub of an anime being discussed...)

Tenshi no Ai

Postby Rexman64 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Last year on my birthday we rented the VHS (in one of the rare rental places that have them) and ym friends and I re-watched the movie that we had watched years ago... brought back nostalgic memories and everything^^ Although apparently, there won't be a DVD of it probably ever... something about the VHS company sold the movie or something like that :/

Er... Actually...
Don't defrost the alligator.

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight, carry that weight a long time...
Rexman64

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Rexman64 wrote:Er... Actually...

Oh... well, I just heard that from a pretty good source (aka the guy that works at the video rental that my friend and I always go to, and has his views and reviews on alot of movies...) Looks like I can't even trust video store nerds anymore! *snaps finger*

Tenshi no Ai

Postby beau99 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Stiletto wrote:Does it ever bother you knowing that you may be the only one who enjoys a certain, unpopular movie?

No, not really.

I've never trusted critics before, and I'm better off that way.
beau99

Postby Alice » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:05 pm

I liked Titan AE.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:56 am

Alice wrote:I liked Titan AE.

Yeah, I remember liking this one enough. Well, I liked it until they decided to name the new planet "Bob"...that was a bit anti-climatic. XD Still, I felt it was a good traditionally animated movie (something we're really running short on these days, coughcough), and I wouldn't mind seeing more like it in the future.
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:55 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Well, I liked it until they decided to name the new planet "Bob"...that was a bit anti-climatic. XD

I thought it was funny.

EDIT: Um, Tenshi, I didn't read your post until after I posted so I thought I was the first to bring up Eragon. Sorry :sweat:
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:34 pm

I also really liked Titan A.E., Treasure Planet and Atlantis. Yay! for lack of show tunes!
I, Robot is another I really like, but it didn't do as well as I had thought...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Rocketshipper » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:32 pm

There are a lot of movies that I liked a lot that other people seem to totally hate. Here are a few ^^;;;...

Romeo Must Die
House of the Dead
Mortal Kombat/ MK Annihilation
Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions ^^
Tomb Raider
Super Mario Brothers
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:13 am

Yeah, I know the feeling. It used to bother me a quite a bit when I liked a movie or something but my family didn't. Then again, I'm the only one in my family who likes anime so I'm used to it by now.
Esoteric

Postby Maledicte » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:29 pm

LXG: Probably because Nemo, Jekyll & Hyde, the Invisible Man and Dorian Gray were so flipping cool.

Van Helsing: I thought it rocked when I first saw it. Then I saw it again and realized it sucked. But it still rocks. (And Richard Roxburgh was in it too!)

The Swan Princess: so girly, but the dialogue is great. Plus "No More Mr. Nice Guy."

All Dogs Go to Heaven: for some reason critics HATE this movie! "Too dark" or "not funny" come on! So it's not Winnie the Pooh. Great characters and animation.
Maledicte

Postby Gritz » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:08 pm

Two words...Batman Forever

;)
Gritz

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:00 pm

My favorite bad movie: Big Trouble in Little China
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:42 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:
All Dogs Go to Heaven: for some reason critics HATE this movie! "Too dark" or "not funny" come on! So it's not Winnie the Pooh. Great characters and animation.

An animated film that's dark and isn't a comedy? Psshhh, who wants to see that? *runs off to rent it; I've never seen it before XD* I wonder what they thought of The Secret of NIMH. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:06 pm

I loved All Dogs Go To Heaven. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Maledicte » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:40 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer"]An animated film that's dark and isn't a comedy? Psshhh, who wants to see that? *runs off to rent it]
It actually IS funny, but it's smart humor. The dialogue is superb.

And I haven't seen Secret of NIMH...*makes seeing all Don Bluth films a lifetime goal*
Maledicte

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:43 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:It actually IS funny, but it's smart humor. The dialogue is superb.

And I haven't seen Secret of NIMH...*makes seeing all Don Bluth films a lifetime goal*

I really will have to watch it now. XD There's not enough good animated films out there these days, so knowing that there's some older ones I have yet to see is always good. XD And Secret of NIMH is great! I haven't seen it in a very long time, but I loved it when I watched it. :D

Radical Dreamer

Next

Return to General Entertainment