Neil Gaiman's Mirrormask

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Neil Gaiman's Mirrormask

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:41 am

I just watched it. Magnificent movie, but not mainstream in the least. The visuals were excellent and very surreal but the humanity of the story was balanced extremely well alongside it.
It didn't hurt that much of the acting was excellent and you really didn't know what was going on.
I don't think I've seen any of Gaiman's stuff before but I've heard his stuff is usually very odd, dark and sometimes funny.
Great humour in there and I couldn't get over the imagination of it all. I don't know how this movie was made (it's so whacked) - to cerebal for most kids, too warped for many adults.
Needless to say I loved it. Like a British Miyazaki!

9/10
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby narutofreak » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:47 am

I love this movie!!! Anything by Neil Gaiman is great!
narutofreak

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:55 am

I've never seen the movie, but I thought it was one of Jim Henson's works...? ^_^;
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:14 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Like a British Miyazaki!

A British Miyazaki. I like that, it sums Gaiman up pretty much perfectly.

TheMelodyMaker wrote:I've never seen the movie, but I thought it was one of Jim Henson's works...? ^_^:

Gaiman wrote it, Dave McKean designed and directed, Jim Henson Co. did the visual effects. A winning combination indeed!
I got this movie as soon as it came out. I love it. It's the fantasy movie I've been waiting for all my life. It's funny, most of Gaiman's stuff is sort of "fantasy for grown-ups", but even his children's stuff is probably more appreciated by adults. I myself have a copy of "The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish". I can't wait til I have kids so I can read it to them :)

Also, special credit should be given to Dave McKean for designing it. He has such an interesting art style that's almost Seussian in its distinctiveness and it's showcased extremely well in MirrorMask.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Oh yeah, Dave McKean is an awesome designer.
Did you know the girl who played Helena was bout 21 when it was filmed? How old was she meant to be for the purpose of the movie? 14 or 15 years old?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:49 pm

Neil Gaiman is my favourite author. His books are all incredible, as is his work in comics. I'd recommend The Sandman to any mature adults looking for an amazing comic.

Mirrormask was really great. It should be noted that it's really mostly Dave McKean's work (McKean did all of the covers for Sandman), coming up with the plot and all, and just had Neil write the screenplay, but there are plenty of his little touches throughout.

Also, the actress in this movie reminds me so much of Helena Bonham Carter.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:50 pm

I remember hearing about this a while back, and wanting to see it. I haven't had the chance to yet (I need to rent it), but from watching the trailer back then, it seemed very "Dark Crystal-esque". I enjoyed The Dark Crystal, so yeah, I'd definitely love to see this someday.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:
Also, the actress in this movie reminds me so much of Helena Bonham Carter.

Me too, actually! She has that same quirky sense of beauty that Carter has.

I just recently saw Mirrormask for the first time. Love it. Wish I had the money to buy it instead of just renting it. It's a great movie.

Actually, my friend was able to convince me to read some of Gaiman's stuff after watching this movie. XD
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:18 pm

Actually that's true! She did look like alot like a young Helena. Interesting. I was a bit freaked out that I found her attractive until I found out she was about 21 at the time of filming. Phew!

A very touching movie.
Can you believe some people hated the music? (thought it was too mainstream).
Whatever. (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 pm

Too mainstream? I thought the use of "Close To You" was brilliant. I love how they twisted it to be a sort of...OBSESSED, entrapping love.
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:39 am

Now, that scene with the singing dolls has got to be some of the most messed up creepyness I've ever seen!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Yeah. And I love the metallic squeaking noises that go along with their movements.
I've always been utterly fascinated by stories about people crossing over from their own world to a surrealistic new one. Perhaps that's why I'm a Silent Hill freak.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Return to General Entertainment