What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:45 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Okay, I misunderstood.
Whatever.

...Alright then.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:53 pm

RaveMaster Volume 6. It's not that bad actually.
Worth a read.
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:36 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Nice try to somehow offend me, but in case you didn't notice Alexander Anderson isn't exactly a good guy.

...glad to see that got worked out. I think it was just meant to be a Monster reference, and I for one liked it.

jon_jinn wrote:that's basically what Oh Great! is known for...his mangas that bombard readers with fanservice...

That definitely comes across in his work. But Tenjou Tenge is a step above ordinary fanservice, which is why I bothered to comment.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:36 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:...glad to see that got worked out. I think it was just meant to be a Monster reference, and I for one liked it.

That's the one.
Fish and Chips

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Death Note vol. 8. As soon as I'm done I'll pick up Anne Freaks vol. 1.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:18 pm

Reading Fullmoon O Sagashite 6. For some reason, Fullmoon is kinda tough to follow... Sorting through the art van even be a good challenge, heh.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Alice » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:17 pm

jon_jinn wrote:Whistle!: the manga totally rocks huh? anyways, it'll get better as the story progresses. not only the plot, but also the characters and the art as well. it's a good manga.

I must admit that I originally started reading this manga because I could get it easily at the library, but I'm really enjoying it. This morning I read over 2 volumes!

One of the things I like best about this series is the "real" treatment of unattractive characters. Unlike in many mangas, not all the characters you hear about and care about are good-looking. You have to respect that!
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:02 pm

Berserk vol.14

Best manga, EVER
Ichigo_89

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Ok, I'm almost through vol. 1 of Anne Freaks (I can only read it in my spare time). Ryan (MSP), if you see this post, go pick up Anne Freaks now. You'd love it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:16 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:But Tenjou Tenge is a step above ordinary fanservice, which is why I bothered to comment.

i seriously don't blame you... :thumb:

Alice wrote:One of the things I like best about this series is the "real" treatment of unattractive characters. Unlike in many mangas, not all the characters you hear about and care about are good-looking. You have to respect that!

i must agree with you on that. i never really looked at the manga that way. but it is a definitely true and noteworthy aspect of the manga.

Ichigo_89 wrote:Berserk vol.14

Best manga, EVER

totally man. this manga rocks like crazy. i'm really eager to read volume 20...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mimiru14 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:11 pm

A friend at school let me borrow vols.1-3 of Ultra Cute..and boy,will I be glad to give them back to her!
[color="Magenta"]"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."
— J.K. Rowling [/color]

[color="Plum"]"It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's what makes it cool"[/color]:thumb:
Mimiru14

Postby Ichigo_89 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:10 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i seriously don't blame you... :thumb:

i must agree with you on that. i never really looked at the manga that way. but it is a definitely true and noteworthy aspect of the manga.

totally man. this manga rocks like crazy. i'm really eager to read volume 20...

I assume U read it on thespectrum.net like I do? Yeah, I'm reading it again and trying to get to 19 before they cycle to the next batch, GAH!

Currently on vol.17
Ichigo_89

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:13 pm

Ichigo_89 wrote:I assume U read it on thespectrum.net like I do? Yeah, I'm reading it again and trying to get to 19 before they cycle to the next batch, GAH!

Ah, so The Spectrum has gained some notoriety, I see. Good place to find quality Manga.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:24 pm

Ichigo_89 wrote:I assume U read it on thespectrum.net like I do?

actually, no i don't. my berserk is feeded to me via email XD. my friend reads the manga and then edits it and emails it to me. that's why i can't read the manga at a consistant pace. i always read it in clumps of 2 or 3 volumes each time. i seriously wouldn't consider the unedited manga due to the severe graphicness. but it is indeed a very good manga. :thumb:

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:29 pm

The Spectrum's a good place for the download-phobic, as you can browse all the series in your Internet browser. That's where I stumbled across 20th Century Boys and Monster, and I'm a better person for it (or at least my taste in Manga).

Naturally, I support the American releases as they are published.
Fish and Chips

Postby Stephen » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:24 pm

Read Helling 3,4, and 5 today. Need more Hellsing!
Stephen

Postby Adie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:48 pm

Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, volumes 2 and 3. This series is awesome so far. ^^
Adie

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:50 pm

I've been too busy to read much manga lately, but I have enjoyed the return of the Japanese Weekly Jump after the extra long break. My next American issue will probably come before too long as well.

Fish and Chips wrote:Naturally, I support the American releases as they are published.

Not everyone does, however, so we discourage discussion of specific sites except via PM. Just to keep in mind for the future. I will note, however, there are plenty of virus-clean places on the internet to get Berserk (all of it), if you don't mind downloading.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:07 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Not everyone does, however, so we discourage discussion of specific sites except via PM. Just to keep in mind for the future. I will note, however, there are plenty of virus-clean places on the internet to get Berserk (all of it), if you don't mind downloading.

True, but most scan sites I've come across are farily supportive of the American release (with two possible exceptions). The people running TS are rather adamant that if you enjoy what you see, quit window shopping and pick up a copy. They've also removed series when receiving letters from publishing houses to do so.

But I'm just rambling.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:16 pm

The issue is more of liability for CAA and not wanting to be an enabler for anyone going about things in an unethical way.

In my experience, most of the major sites are pretty good about such issues but once you get deeper into the net (with the groups that don't have websites and distribute otherwise) you'll find plenty of people who boast at being 100% illegal and some who even declare their goal as providing high-quality scans to replace purchasing the titles.

But that's just me stating the other side of the coin. Now that I've posted to clarify the rule we should probably let the thread return to its primary topic.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:28 pm

well, i just read berserk volume 19 (ended at the worst time though...) i know, i said that i was on volume 20, but i actually meant 19...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:25 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:The issue is more of liability for CAA and not wanting to be an enabler for anyone going about things in an unethical way.

Alright, fair enough.
uc pseudonym wrote:In my experience, most of the major sites are pretty good about such issues but once you get deeper into the net (with the groups that don't have websites and distribute otherwise) you'll find plenty of people who boast at being 100% illegal and some who even declare their goal as providing high-quality scans to replace purchasing the titles.

I know, I've met some of them. Disdainful people.
uc pseudonym wrote:But that's just me stating the other side of the coin. Now that I've posted to clarify the rule we should probably let the thread return to its primary topic.

Fine, I'll shut up now.
Fish and Chips

Postby kryptech » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:44 am

I've been working through the Bleach series - just finished vol 14 last night (boy, they go fast...) I skipped vol 9 after seeing the cover... Thankfully the recent volumes have been pretty clean in that department.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:54 pm

The volume covers for Bleach have next to nothing to do with the content of that volume, actually. I don't remember if volume 9 has anything offensive or not (the cover is that explosives lady, right?).
uc pseudonym

Postby kryptech » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:33 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:The volume covers for Bleach have next to nothing to do with the content of that volume, actually. I don't remember if volume 9 has anything offensive or not (the cover is that explosives lady, right?).

From what I've seen the covers usually depict a certain character dealt with in that particular volume. I think it was that crazy lady with one arm, though I can't remember her name (I'm aweful at remembering the zillions of Japanese names for all the Soul Reapers and other characters). She was around in vol 10 at the beginning but happily I've not seen her since (nothing personal - just didn't care for the outfit!)
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:01 pm

Started Death Note today. Should be done the first 3 volumes tomorrow. Thanks Grubb!
Stephen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:28 am

The Drifting Classroom is definitely a work of art. Amazing stuff.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:40 am

I started the first volume of Yotsubato this week at my local Borders and it is both hilarious and cute.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Just got Negima 12 and Immortal Rain 7 also there was a buy 3 get one free sell so they talked me into getting a couple more books so I grabbed Bleach 1 and 2
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:42 pm

kryptech wrote:From what I've seen the covers usually depict a certain character dealt with in that particular volume. I think it was that crazy lady with one arm, though I can't remember her name (I'm aweful at remembering the zillions of Japanese names for all the Soul Reapers and other characters). She was around in vol 10 at the beginning but happily I've not seen her since (nothing personal - just didn't care for the outfit!)

She really isn't important. I can't remember her name either unless I've heard it recently.

But I suspected that might be the cover you were thinking about. I don't think she appears much in volume 9 either, but if you know it would bother you I can't fault you for skipping it. Nothing much important happens in that volume, either.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews