Asian Dramas

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Asian Dramas

Postby Doe Johnson » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:51 pm

I'm sure they've been discussed here before, but I seem unable to find any threads about them.

So, who all here watches Asain dramas? Which ones are your favorites?

The dramas I've seen some of:
Devil Beside You
Full House
Gokusen
Gokusen 2
Hana Yori Dango
Kurosagi
Mischievous Princess
My Boss My Hero (Japan)
Nobuta wo Produce
The Prince Who Turned Into a Frog
Return of the Condor Heros
Soulmate
Trick

Out of those, I really liked Gokusen (1, not 2), Kurosagi, My Boss My Hero, Mischievous Princess and The Prince Who Turned Into a Frog. The only one I don't care for is Return of the Condor Heros, but I've only seen one episode of it, maybe it gets better.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:10 am

Wow, Asian Full House was weird! The original was bad enough, but this is appalling!

I've only other one worth mentioning is: 'Kindaichi shônen no jikenbo' Season 3.

Besides the guy who played Kindaichi (who was a hopeless actor besides his bishie looks) it was a great series. Not as dark as the manga at all though.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Doe Johnson » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:39 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Wow, Asian Full House was weird! The original was bad enough, but this is appalling!

I don't think the Korean Full House was all that bad. The story has started becoming interesting again whereever it is that I'm stopped at, but I do find it to be really slow. It feels like each episode takes ages to watch, but I'm fine with slow things. I just thought that people give it too much praise. It was good, but it wasn't THAT good.

The Prince Who Turned Into a Frog though...this might actually be my favorite series right now. I've actually cried in nearly every episode I think, or at least the last three. And I'm only on ep 13! It's a 30 episode series.

For comedy (and thus less girly so guys can watch it) I'd really suggest Gokusen and My Boss My Hero.
Gokusen is about a teacher at an all male high school teaching for her first time. She gets put in with the worst class, the one all of the teachers have given up on and some even fear. She just happenes to have a secret though...she's the heir to a yakuza clan! I've gotten a couple of people who don't watch dramas into liking that one.
My Boss My Hero is also about the heir to a yakuza clan, but this time he's a 27 year old who can't even add. Finally his father sends him back to high school (acting like a 17 year old!) telling him he can't take over the business unless he passes. I love this show! I first saw it at the Asian cinema section of Nan Desu Kan. It makes me want to randomly scream out the word "WAAATEEER!!!" and eat pudding, which is odd since I don't really care for pudding all that much.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:32 am

Ha, ha! They sound great. Very ...different.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:45 am

I hear Dae Jang Geum Is really good. It's got Lee Young-ae who is like OMG awesome. (She was in JSA and Lady Vengeance)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mave » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:11 am

I confess to enjoying Meteor Garden (Taiwanese version of Hana Yori Dango) to a certain degree.

I've heard of Full House and intend to check it out along with Princess Hours (the current craze in Singapore). I also have Winter Sonata sitting at my bookshelves. Apparently, my friends tell me that WS is a classic. :eh: Erm, ok..

I've most likely watched some other dramas but never quite knew the titles properly so I'll be looking into those titles you've mentioned. Who knows I might have already watched some of them....
Mave

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:57 pm

A while back...maybe a year ago...I stumbled upon a Korean drama on AZN TV (a cable channel for asian americans...which I'm not, but oh well), that I adored. I think it was called something like "The Prince's First Love". It was about a guy who's called a 'prince' because he's the son of a wealthy business-man, and he meets a girl from a poor family during a ski trip. But he kind of messes up when he meets her (he got drunk and passed out, and when she took him to his room to take care of him, when he woke up he thought she was a prostitute he didn't remember hiring and handed her some cash. Oops!). Eventually they made up and became friends, and he started to fall in love with her, but he somehow messed up again (I think I missed that episode) and then she got mad with him again and....I think she got hitched to his step-brother or half-brother...and he was all upset because he wanted her to be happy, but HE wanted to marry her, and...it was just crazy. XD

I actually LOVED it--sort of a gulity pleasure--but I lost track of the series something like halfway through because I was at school the same time it was airing (I think), and AZN hasn't rerun the episodes at all. I know it must be on DVD somewhere, but I have no idea where. It makes me sad.
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Mimiru14 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:13 pm

The only one I've seen so far is Hana yori Dango...I admit that it's a bit addicting -_-
[color="Magenta"]"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."
— J.K. Rowling [/color]

[color="Plum"]"It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's what makes it cool"[/color]:thumb:
Mimiru14

Postby Puguni » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:18 pm

I don't really watch...many shows, which is shameful, because all of you non-Asians watch more than I do.

Well, I liked Attic Cat, it was cute. :> Sometimes, just for fun, I like to watch an overly dramatic drama, and poke fun at it. Like, there was this one show called Merry-Go-Round, and it was so sad, that every character's pain was probably my amusement, because it was so unrealistic. There was that one guy in there though that I liked a lot though. :> Stairway to Heaven is another show like that. A lot of girls liked it though. *shrug* My sister and mom liked Fire Bird.

Then there was this old show called Yun-Een-Dul, which means Lovers, but it doesn't mean that at all. It's most like a Korean version of Friends, just without the innuendo and sex jokes. It was pretty funny. :]

And Dae Jang Geum is probably the most awesome. It was wildly popular in Asia not too long ago. I enjoyed it, because Jang Geum is a fantastic character and would be an awesome role model for girls. :>

My mom is currently watching many historical Korean dramas like Dae Jo Young and Joo mong, both about the Goguryeo empire in Korea. Of course, this obviously only interests people who are into Korea.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Miso_Chan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:40 am

where do you find these show on???????

youtube???(sorry, gootube)
a television station??!?!?!?!?!?!?
私は必死に日本への高等学校の外に移動することを希望し、日本の学生です。とにかく私の場合はより詳細な研究では、メインの仕方を知っているお問い合わせください!

私のお気に入りのアニメをしているカノンは、涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱ハチミツとクローバー、カウボーイビバップ.
Miso_Chan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:23 am

I saw one episode of Gokusen Live Action...

And decided that I wanted that hour back. It was simply terrible. lol
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:10 pm

There's a cable channel ,has been noted before, called AZN that runs a lot of Asian
programming including,I think,anime.You have to check your local cable or satellite dish listings to see if you get it.
mitsuki lover

Return to General Entertainment