What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:18 pm

prince of tennis volume 16
eyeshield 21 volume 11
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:38 am

I've continued to read Airgear, because oddly enough I've had some free time at random moments lately. So far I am enjoying the progression and I like the beginnings of what I think will be team-building, but we'll have to see how it carries through. Also, I think the sidekick character (Kuzu) is far superior to the protagonist.

jon_jinn wrote:i dunno. i read the first volume cause it looked like something new and original. however, the author IS Oh Great! and let's all remember that he was also the author of the extremely explicit and fanservice-filled manga tenge tenjo.

I haven't read the title in question, but currently Airgear seems to have fanservice at about the highest levels for a Weekly Jump title but relatively infrequently. Because it's so easy to page through manga, it's easily within my tolerance levels.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:00 am

tenge tenjo is a fighting manga running in Ultra Jump. i read the first couple chapters or so, but understood very little of the manga and quickly lost interest. tenge tenjo also packs a wallop in the fanservice department (definitely more than air gear) but contains other graphic content as well.

anyways, for me:
berserk volumes 14-15

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:28 am

Just finished the whole series of Death Note.

Looking for something else....
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:48 am

berserk volume 16
prince of tennis volume 17
hunter x hunter volume 12
whistle volume 15

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:06 pm

berserk volumes 16-18

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Rei » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Dramacon volume 2
Absolute Boyfriend volume 3
When you search your soul, what do you see?
A broken piece of your heart, or happiness as large as the sea. When you fall to pieces, do you cry, or do you look up to the sky..remembering the promise made, that he will always be there to make darkness fade.

----------------
Dramacon!!!!You have to read this manga!!!
----------------
Alone..Never..Dreamer..Forever..

New layout on my Myspace:
myspace
Rei

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:31 pm

Pluto volume 1.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Rereading Azumanga just for the heck of it (and I needed something to read at work during my lunch :/)
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:45 pm

berserk volume 19

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby beau99 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist vol 1-2 (both came from the library)
beau99

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:41 pm

Pluto volume 2.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:25 pm

Chrono Crusade volume 3
Airgear (in general)

Despite a weak premise and not excellent execution, I find myself vaguely interested in the former manga. "Vaguely" meaning that I will continue to read volumes if they happen across my path in a free form, such as the library that has given me the first three.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Pluto volume 2.

say, is this manga any good?

anyways, 20th Century Boys volume 14.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:32 pm

jon_jinn wrote:say, is this manga any good?

Only Urasawa could pull this off, and well.

Read it.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:33 am

Fish and Chips wrote:Only Urasawa could pull this off, and well.

Read it.

well, what can you expect from an Urasawa manga? only the best.

i'll be sure to check it out when i have time...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby chimera189 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:20 pm

3x3 eyes volume 20-21
Lunar Legend Tsukhime v.3
Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Charles Spurgeon
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details. Albert Einstien
Luke 23:39-43; "And it also makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the streets of gold that knows more about grace than a thousand theologans. No one else would have given him a prayer, but in the end that is all he had, and in the end that is all it took." -Max Lucado

[url=myspace.com/chimera189]myspace[/url]
chimera189

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:22 am

Pluto volume 3.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:49 pm

I've just gotten to the 14th volume (chapter 110ish) of Airgear and I'm eager to read more with recent developments (given the introduction of the dark Sleeping Forest, if that's what it really is, I expect an arc with more fighting and less fanservice, conditions that sit well with me). If someone has a better resource I'd be grateful if they would PM me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Alice » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:42 pm

Last night I read Boys Over Flowers, volume 1.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby mai » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:09 pm

Vampire Knight vol 1
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:26 pm

20th Century Boys volume 22.

Impatient as ever for the 21st Century.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:59 am

Fish and Chips wrote:20th Century Boys volume 22.

Impatient as ever for the 21st Century.

i still don't understand something. if 20th Century Boys isn't complete, why is Urasawa still working on Pluto? i mean, isn't hard to do two manga series at a time?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:59 am

Certain talented manga-ka can do two series at once. Takehiko Inoue is currently doing two series(Real, Vagabond) as well.

It helps that Big Comic Original (where Pluto is serialized) is Bi-monthly, I believe.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:11 pm

i see. i suppose that explains it. still, however, it must be hard trying to do both Pluto and 20th Century Boys since Urasawa has to focus on both plots and all that stuff...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:58 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i still don't understand something. if 20th Century Boys isn't complete, why is Urasawa still working on Pluto? i mean, isn't hard to do two manga series at a time?

Mangaka's publishing two series isn't unheard of, especially if one is winding down. I'm just glad Naoki Urasawa has a better work ethic than Khota Hirano.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Mangaka's publishing two series isn't unheard of, especially if one is winding down. I'm just glad Naoki Urasawa has a better work ethic than Khota Hirano.

I know. Seriously. Hirano (Hellsing’s author) releases his volumes INSANELY slow. i think it took him about EIGHT months to finish one of his volumes. as for Urasawa, i suppose that he'll be finishing up 20th Century boys soon since he's starting to do Pluto...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:10 pm

jon_jinn wrote:I know. Seriously. Hirano (Hellsing’s author) releases his volumes INSANELY slow. i think it took him about EIGHT months to finish one of his volumes. as for Urasawa, i suppose that he'll be finishing up 20th Century boys soon since he's starting to do Pluto...

20th Century Boys is done. Right now he's working on a "Sequel" series 21st Century Boys. Essentially, its the final chapters shown in a different light, tying up all the loose ends, polishing off what the series hasn't. So I suppose its technically still running.

What I mean to say is, we know how it ends, so the series is finish in that respect, but there's still things such as the aftermath and running questions to consider, what happens to such and such characters, etc.
Fish and Chips

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:49 pm

I am currently reading D Gray Man. I love this series.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:17 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:20th Century Boys is done. Right now he's working on a "Sequel" series 21st Century Boys. Essentially, its the final chapters shown in a different light, tying up all the loose ends, polishing off what the series hasn't. So I suppose its technically still running.

What I mean to say is, we know how it ends, so the series is finish in that respect, but there's still things such as the aftermath and running questions to consider, what happens to such and such characters, etc.

wow. i had no idea Urasawa was planning on doing a sequal for 20th Century Boys. :hits_self that sounds interesting...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews