Blind Purchases

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Blind Purchases

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:05 pm

How many people here sometimes take a gamble on buying a DVD (cheap or expensive) without having watched the movie / series on it before? Are you willing to take such a gamble, even with expensive DVDs and Box-sets?
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:24 pm

I often do blind purchases (especially with anime since it's rarely shown on tv here) but they aren't true ones. I research the show/movie a bit (read varied reviews), watch a trailer of it and then decide.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:29 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I often do blind purchases (especially with anime since it's rarely shown on tv here) but they aren't true ones. I research the show/movie a bit (read varied reviews), watch a trailer of it and then decide.

I'm a clinical blind-buyer myself, but I usually do research as well to see if I will like it; I have many DVDs in my collection that are as such, and I've only been rarely dissapointed (though not in a "this movie must burn" sense, only a mildly "that's overated" dissapointment).
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:41 pm

No...not really...I only recall making only one real blind anime purchase, and that was for "His and Her Circumstances"...the only thing I knew about it was from a small article I read in "Anime Explosion!"

Turns out to be the best blind purchase I ever made!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:51 pm

Oops, I thought this was regarding Anime, so I hit "I do not buy DVDS". But in fact I should have picked "I want to watch it first, to make sure my money would be well spent". Because it is true. I only buy DVDs of movies I find incredible and worth buying.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby agasfas » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:51 pm

Princess Nine, Last Exile, Ceres, HoopDays and Chance Pop Session are a few series I've taken a gamble on buying w/o knowing anything about them. And fortunately they have all turned out to be pretty good series. ^_^

Though, usually if I see something that interests me, I usually go home and read reviews first.

But there are occasions...
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby termyt » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:23 am

I buy a lot of my DVD's blindly - mostly just anime, though.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:12 am

I usually don't make completely blind purchases (meaning I always have some sort of knowledge about a series from reading reviews before buying it), but I have bought thinpaks of series before seeing the entire series. I bought the Pretear thinpak after reading CAA's review, and I bought the Kaleido Star thinpak after asking around about it and watching the first two DVDs via Netflix. I think that I'll probably only ever make blind purchases when it comes to buying thinpak series, though--the boxed sets that cost 80$ and up aren't worth it unless I know the series is really good. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:56 am

I bought my copy of Outlanders pretty much that way.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:21 pm

It will be a strange day when I purchase anything blindly, much less an item like a DVD. Of course, I rarely purchase those anyway, so perhaps that is part of why. Though I do make completely blind library rentals, those don't involve money and hence it isn't the same.

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Oops, I thought this was regarding Anime, so I hit "I do not buy DVDS". But in fact I should have picked "I want to watch it first, to make sure my money would be well spent".

The poll has been edited to reflect this. Because if a poll on a random internet forum wasn't accurate, the world as we know it would end.
uc pseudonym

Postby HisaishiFan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:33 pm

Certain things I'll buy blind; others I want to see first. I'll buy any Studio Ghibli film blind, whether it is Miyazaki or not. This has only backfired once: Pom Poko (yucky, yucky, ew!)
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:47 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Because if a poll on a random internet forum wasn't accurate, the world as we know it would end.

That is definitely worth putting in my signature.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby termyt » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:12 am

uc pseudonym wrote:The poll has been edited to reflect this. Because if a poll on a random internet forum wasn't accurate, the world as we know it would end.

That was close. A swarm of locust had nearly devoured my house when, at 3:21 (EST) they mysteriously disappeared. Now I know why.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:51 am

To my recollection, the only blind purchases I've ever made were Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service. I was not disappointed. :lol: But everything else I've bought I had previously seen anyway, and I don't buy that much. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:35 pm

Besides Outlanders I also bought Please Save My Earth,Kimagure Orange Road,Cardcaptor Sakura,Bubblegum Crisis:Tokyo 2040,and a few more titles 'blind'.At least you could consider them 'blind' purchases since I may have only read up on them without having seen them.
mitsuki lover

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:29 pm

blind buys have gone good and bad for me. Some examples being...

good: Noein, Ghost in the Shell 2, Voices of a Distant Star

bad: Chronicles of Riddick, Underworld, Bruce Lee double dvd set (crappy quality)
Ichigo_89

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:34 pm

I have never made a blind purchase. No matter what anime I bought, I retained my sight during the entire transaction.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:22 pm

I only own a few DVDs... Riddick Trilogy (got in white elephant), Batman Begins (got for a white elephant, but traded back for it because the person that got it had it already, and I didn't), First two extended edition LotR, Nadesico Complete, Harvey Birdman Attourney at Law season 1, Beverly Hillbillies movie... I used to have Sailormoon R uncut and Grave of the Fireflies... So, really, I've never made a blind purchase... The closest thing to that would be that when I stole Riddick from someone in the White Elephant (she wanted someone to steal it, a trio of unrated movies wasn't something she wanted for her son) I hadn't seen it yet... I kept hearing great things about Pitch Black, so I decided I'd give it a try (I wasn't disappointed, by the way... With Pitch Black, anyhow...)

If you extend this to VHS movies, however, I've made a few blind purchases... I once purchased an entire box of user recorded tapes... Mostly the person had made copies of rental movies, but some HBO stuff too... One of my violated moments in movie watching history, that's what you get watching things you have no clue about... I also bought the first tape of Nadesico based on a brief vote of confidence from some crippled guy at the video store, and I bought Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals without really knowing what it was like... That's why I don't generally do blind purchases... (not due to Nadesico, that was good enough I later bought the entire series on DVD, but that was just a fluke )

Nate wrote:I have never made a blind purchase. No matter what anime I bought, I retained my sight during the entire transaction.

You haven't seen Dead Leaves, then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Ichigo_89 wrote:Bruce Lee double dvd set (crappy quality)

:wow!: How could you SAY such a thing?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote::wow!: How could you SAY such a thing?

I think he meant the DVD quality, not the movies (I think).
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:50 pm

bigsleepj wrote:I think he meant the DVD quality, not the movies (I think).

Mah who cares about DVD quality! He fights CHUCK NORRIS! CHUCK NORRIS MAN! :lol:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:14 pm

And they have a statue of him in the Herzegoviinian city of Mostar!!
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Stiletto » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:41 pm

I've done this quite a few times. I think about 70% of my anime DVD collection are blind purchases. It seems a bit frivolous just to buy a DVD simply because the cover art looks good or because the summary on the back makes it seem like an appealing buy, but I've done it a lot (and luckily most of the shows turned out to be enjoyable in the end).
Stiletto

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Well where I go to Barnes & Nobles there isn't a lot of choice animewise,a bit better with Borders still though not as large as some other places.So you have to take what you can find.
mitsuki lover

Return to General Entertainment