Anime movie making programs

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Anime movie making programs

Postby onyxmoon21 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:43 am

There is an anime movie I'd really like to create, however I don't know of any program that would help me in this area, and I don't thinkWindow's Movie Maker is any good for this kind of thing. I'm talking about a real anime. I'm willing to draw the whole thing out frame by frame, but I don't have a system that would help me make it into a movie. I know there has to be some kind of program like this out there somewhere, because I've seen moving cartoonish avatars before that people have drawn... or maybe they have nothing to do with each other. (probably not)

Anyway, any comments in this area would be helpful. It's quite possible that these kind of programs haven't been released for public use, or if they have they're really expensive. But still, if they're out there, I'd very much like to know.
onyxmoon21

Postby onyxmoon21 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Actually, I did find something today... it's called "Magic Theater" and it's able to make cartoons, but it's for little kids I guess. Really little kids. However, this does give me hope that maybe, maybe there's something out there that's exactly what I'm looking for. I understand that probably not a whole lot of people would be able to help me in this area, and that's OK. It's a pretty bizarre question, after all. But still, if anyone can give me any advice, I would really appreciate it!
onyxmoon21

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:59 pm

There are programs in the proffesional field that will build movies out of individual pictures, but they are likely very expensive... There are also film cameras that will build a movie reel out of one frame at a time... The program is a one time cost, the film is an every time cost to develop... So... That would make things a lot harder. If they made a digital version, which I'm sure they have, that would be much easier...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:52 pm

Macromedia Flash 8 or ToonBoom... My choice would be ToonBoom since its made specifically for cartoon animation where Flash is more for all types of stuff so its alot more complecated and not very animator friendly unless you know what youre doing.

I have Flash 6 and I've "attempted" making my own animes but its such a pain. Its not really made for frame by frame animation and stuff and to do short cuts and stuff you have to really know what youre doing. Toonboom has a much nicer layout for animation and everything is specifically for 2D animation so that would be your best bet IMO. Aslo, if yo udo happen to have flash, you can import toonboom animations into flash if you want.

http://toonboom.com/

Mind you, it is expensive =/
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby onyxmoon21 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:38 pm

Thank you very much! I'll have to look into it.

I'm curious, have you ever been able to make an anime movie with this program? How long did it take you? Again, thank you for the suggestion.
onyxmoon21

Postby Esoteric » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:15 am

Well...if you're willing to draw it frame by frame and you aready have a drawing program you like, perhaps just consider a video editing program. There are several relatively cheap ones, Moviemaker and Premiere Elements come to mind. With these programs, you can sequence drawings together into a movie. I've never tried to do a 14 fps animation in Elements (anime frame rate?). But it's certainly feasible if you're willing to do most of the work.
Esoteric

Postby onyxmoon21 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:47 am

I managed to find another movie-making program called Anime Studio, formally called MoHo, I guess. It's a lot cheaper then ToonBoom, and more user-friendly for beginners. However, ToonBoom seems to be exactly what I'm looking for... but I'll have to look into it more. Has anyone ever heard of this Anime Studio? It sounds like it could work for me, but before I spend 200 bucks I want to make sure I'd be getting my money's worth.
I'm particularly excited because it says you can create your own voices for your characters, plus you can scan your own pictures onto the program and it will create a bone-structure for your person, allowing you to bend the body at will instead of drawing frame after frame! (I'm not sure if that's the same with ToonBoom...)
onyxmoon21

Postby Momo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:03 am

onyxmoon21 wrote:I managed to find another movie-making program called Anime Studio, formally called MoHo, I guess. It's a lot cheaper then ToonBoom, and more user-friendly for beginners. However, ToonBoom seems to be exactly what I'm looking for... but I'll have to look into it more. Has anyone ever heard of this Anime Studio? It sounds like it could work for me, but before I spend 200 bucks I want to make sure I'd be getting my money's worth.
I'm particularly excited because it says you can create your own voices for your characters, plus you can scan your own pictures onto the program and it will create a bone-structure for your person, allowing you to bend the body at will instead of drawing frame after frame! (I'm not sure if that's the same with ToonBoom...)

I know this is slightly off-topic but, when you find out what program to use and your Anime is in the works, can I be a voice in it? I've always wanted to be a character in an anime! Plus I can sing, (don't know if that helps) so if the character ever sings then I can voice her. ^^
My heart is as frail as a dove
And my spirit is as weak as a rose
See my sorrow, feel my pain
You're my refuge, You're my reason
My strength in this beautiful place
That's where I find God
That's where I find God
-The Afters

[My art! =D]
Momo

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:28 pm

Someone who uses ToonBoom told me all about it. I downloaded the trial but I didnt get a chance to use it much before it expired. I made about a 30 second anime clip (it was going to be a music video but never finished it) on flash which took about 5-6 hours to do. It does take a while but if you love it, you can do it.

I have never heard of Anime Studio but it looks pretty sweet too. I'll have to check it out. I'll download the trial when I know I'll have some time to really try it out. Toonboom has a trial too so you could just dl both and see which works better for you.
Scarecrow

Postby onyxmoon21 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:30 pm

This is kind of off-subject, but I made an amv for Final Fantasy VII using Windows Movie Maker, and put it on YouTube. If any one wants to see it, here's the address:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBHjwDsv3lU

Note: our computer, for some reason, didn't record all of the pictures, espcially in the "flash sequences", (you'll see what I mean if you watch it) so it doesn't look as good as I'd want, but oh well. When we get a better computer I might upload a nicer version.
onyxmoon21

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:12 am

BTW, if you still care, I went ahead and bought Anime Studio 5 after much concideration and such. I'll post how it is when I actually get it (its coming in the mail tomorrow or thursday I think...). Really like the idea of the skelleton thing and the scanning your own stuff into it... not sure how it works out excactly but I'll find out =D
Scarecrow

Postby onyxmoon21 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:28 am

Cool!!!!
onyxmoon21

Postby The Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:18 pm

Let us know soon Scarecrow. I'm curious to know how it works.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:11 pm

Yes I will... as I've told onyxmoon though, I messed up on the address when I set my account up on Amazon so my package is out in limbo right now =/ I have to wait till its returned to amazon and re-order it =/ (its undeliverable since I was stupid and put my last name where the street address goes -_-) So aggrivating.

I ordered something else 5 days ago and that came yesterday... argh....
Scarecrow

Postby jayquam » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 pm

onyxmoon21 wrote:This is kind of off-subject, but I made an amv for Final Fantasy VII using Windows Movie Maker, and put it on YouTube. If any one wants to see it, here's the address:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBHjwDsv3lU

Note: our computer, for some reason, didn't record all of the pictures, espcially in the "flash sequences", (you'll see what I mean if you watch it) so it doesn't look as good as I'd want, but oh well. When we get a better computer I might upload a nicer version.

i watched it today,it was very good.
Serious, Intense, Low-key.
jayquam

Postby onyxmoon21 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanks, jayquam!
onyxmoon21

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:06 pm

Ok yea!! It finally came today! (had to re-order it but anyway)

Ok I've played around with it a wee bit and so far I think it is awesome! I dont know if this is cuase I'm used to flash or it what but I love it! Compared to flash, it sooooo easy to use. The tutorials are actually helpful since they are specifically for animation and not all this extra stuff you have to dig through to find what you want. The key frames, the drawing tools, the coloring, etc... extremely easy to work with! The tutorials are great... it was so hard to find tutorials for flash for what you want but these are all nice, simple, and well organized.

I haven't done a lot with the bone thing but what I have is pretty cool. Though you wouldn't be able to use it for everything, for certain scenes it would work well. Again, very easy to use. I was also browsing through a lot of the other stuff and I can't wait to learn it all cause you can do some really cool things. Like this kind of 3D animation look almost. I mean it's 2D but... Its kind of.. I dunno kind of hard to explain... the best way I could put it is like the stage of a play. All your props are spaced out in the foreground/background and you can move the cameras in and out through this stage... I hope that gives you some Idea what I mean. You can also create kind of 3D characters... they look 2D but you can move em around and rotate em like they're 3d... I haven't worked with this yet I was just looking through some of the other tutorials and saw that in there.

Oh, its not specifically for anime btw. I mean a lot anime techniques aren't used here but you can create some pretty cool stuff anyway . I'm sure you could create some nice anime style stuff but the animation might look/feel a bit different unless you do everything frame by frame without using any of the little tricks and special effects stuff.

Anyway, I think its a great animation program. Compared to flash, its fantastic. I still can't believe how easy it is to use. So nice and clean too where flash was bit clumpy and ugly and took forever to firgure everything out. And their tutorials sucked as far as animation. Oh and it publishes so clear/smooth! Very professional looking.

Umm... yea I'm still playing with it but feel free to ask questions. IMO, its a great animation program.
Scarecrow

Postby The Doctor » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Ok,

do you have to draw by hand and scan it into your computer to make animation? Or do you design it on the pc?

And btw, if you haven't practiced drawing by hand, what is the BEST computer animation software out there to make anime on your pc when your hand style isn't developed?

THanks
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:34 pm

It sounds great! I've tried Flash a fair bit and while good for web based stuff, it is quite a bit harder to learn animation in it.
I'll give this a whirl (demo) and see if it's worth getting.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:20 pm

The Doctor wrote:Ok,

do you have to draw by hand and scan it into your computer to make animation? Or do you design it on the pc?

And btw, if you haven't practiced drawing by hand, what is the BEST computer animation software out there to make anime on your pc when your hand style isn't developed?

THanks

You can scan and import stuff or you can just create it in the program. I think I've read you can scan in your own drawings and make a bone structure and animate it but I haven't tried that(or maybe it was mentioned earlier in the thread). But other than that, you generally just create it on the PC in the program. I do at least. Helps if you have a tablet. Scanning in everything would take forever. I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at with you're second question. Are you saying you're looking for a program to help you draw better or just something to give your stuff a professional anime look? Either way, I'd have no clue... as for animation alone, I'd say this is great and easy to use. You could create an anime looking clip or a south park looking animation or whatever... just depends on the style you wanna do...
Scarecrow

Postby onyxmoon21 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:16 pm

Wow, this program sounds great! I'll have to download the trial version...

Just curious: how helpful would you say Anime Studio 5 is for people who have absolutely no experience making animated movies? [like me, for instance] I read somewhere that it's recommended you have some previous practice with walking movement and stuff like that. Also, isn't there a voice making device in it, like a synthesizer that helps you create your own voices for your characters?
onyxmoon21

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:52 pm

Well... Its about as easy as I think its gonna get =/ I mean... as far as movement and stuff... that all just comes with practice. You arent ever gonna get practice if you dont ever try doing it.. however there is a cheap alternative to make little animations and get the basics down*. Anyway, I just watch alot of cartoons and then rewind em and then watch em on slow speed to see each frame. Usually do this alot with action scenes and such.

As far as voice maker... voice MAKER? There isn't anything that makes voices for you or whatever. There IS though a lip sync tool that lip syncs your audio with its mouth animation or something... I'm not sure how it works, I haven't touched that at all yet. They say in the tutorial it may not be perfect but works well enough for what most people like to do.

* I first started animating using Power Point... Microsoft Power Point doesn't work nearly as well as the one they have for Mac (mac is generally a better computer for graphics and animation anyway... wish I had one) but still works enough to get basics down. If you're interested in animating with Power point, I can go into more detail on how to do it. Its easy to do but it would take a bit explaining all the steps and I havent done it for years so I'd have to refresh my memory on what you go into to do it and all..
Scarecrow

Postby onyxmoon21 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Anyway, I just watch alot of cartoons and then rewind em and then watch em on slow speed to see each frame. Usually do this alot with action scenes and such.

Good advice. I'll try that.

Scarecrow wrote:As far as voice maker... voice MAKER? There isn't anything that makes voices for you or whatever. There IS though a lip sync tool that lip syncs your audio with its mouth animation or something... I'm not sure how it works, I haven't touched that at all yet. They say in the tutorial it may not be perfect but works well enough for what most people like to do.

Okay, thanks. I must've misunderstood... :sweat:
onyxmoon21

Return to General Entertainment