Silent Hill 2

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Silent Hill 2

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:04 am

Silent Hylian on IMDb wrote:As of December 2006, Gans announced officially that a sequel is in the early planning stages. He was quoted as saying that "having spent a lot of energy organizing a complex mythology that is not known general public" including "the passage of one dimension to the other, Alessa's History, and the theme of the doubles," he would love to return to the series, however he "might not be able to (direct) Silent Hill 2 because of his involvement on (the adaptation of another Konami Video Game) Onimusha. Sony Pictures has told Samuel Hadida that "it is important that film have the same visual 'feel' as the first movie, and that the film's original audience "not feel cheated." Gans has promised to be involved in some manner if he can't direct the film personally, recommending that a European or preferably fellow French Director be hired to take up his mantle.

Hmm

Well, I'm excited in one way, and horrified in another...

1. It's a sequal... It's probably fair to say over half of all sequals suck. Over half...
2. He's passing the torch on... But with His vision, rather than a new fan consulting Konami and developing based on THEIR vision... So it's someone else tackling Gans vision, which was nearly, but not quite, Silent Hill...
3. He really wants it to be a French director... Well, consider I think Silent Hill is the best game movie ever made, though far far far from perfect, maybe that would be a good thing, but... I'm sure there are non-french directors who are quite competent, and hey! Maybe they're even fans of the game! Just a thought...

Anyhow... I was never much of an Onimusha fan, but maybe I'll be able to enjoy it more since I'm not a fan, hey? I mean, I don't have the exact mythology and such to look forward to having tweaked in ways I don't like, so it may actually be a good movie for me! Who knows...

In any case, Official announcement on Silent Hill 2... It probably barely broke even, so this is actually quite a shock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Yahshua » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:28 pm

AH? Really eh hopefully this movie will turn out well. Mostly video game to movie never works out well.
Yahshua

Postby Rocketshipper » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:44 pm

*hopes that some of the Silent hill 2 video game characters will be in it*
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:01 am

Silent Hill wasn't the same as the games; but that was one of the things I liked about it. Some of the hardcore fans may disagree, but I liked that it wasn't a retread of the game plot and made an original story out of it.

That said, in this world of Uwe Boll and Paul Anderson, Gans is one of the better directors to have around directing game movies.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:13 am

Really? Hmm... Well I guess I'll have to keep tracking the progress of this one like I did for the "first" SH movie (I followed every stage of it for over a year until its release). Considering how seriously everyone involved took that one, I'm willing to put some faith in the quality of this project, too.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Yeah, even though it seems Gans is building his own mythos (considering the character shifts in the first movie, it only seems logical he'll take it further in his own direction) out of the general feel of the games (even though that last battle scene was very un-silent-hill-like) instead of going off any story in the games...

EDIT: What I didn't realize was the worldwide total for the first movie was

$72,583,562 (Worldwide) (29 May 2006) (sub-total)

According to imdb. So, it's not quite a blockbuster (considering the shooting cost of 50 mil, and the distro cost of, what? 10 mil? 15?) but 7-12 mil profit isn't too bad...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Tommy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:13 pm

They should make a Pong movie instead.
Tommy

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:21 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:They should make a Pong movie instead.

Oh, that'd be HOT! Gary Sinise and George Clooney could be the sticks and Verne Troyer could be the dot! Talk about an epic film! :thumb:

Okay, back on topic now.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:40 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:They should make a Pong movie instead.

Hey, Silent Hill was a pretty good adaptation. The two reasons game movies fail is they do try taking the pongs of the world to build movies out of, and the directors don't respect the medium. Neither was the case with this movie.

In any case, I found this just now
http://silenthillorigins.com/?subaction=showfull&id=1166928764&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Gans, on the first film wrote:To us three, we had a very specific idea, a standard of quality that we wanted to attain, in relation to, of course, the 4 million dollars allocated in the budget to the SFX.

O_o

4 million is tiny, though to put things in perspective, Donnie darko had a budget of 2 million... The entire thing... Very very low budget, but still an incredible movie. There is a LOT of waste in the movie industry (much like professional sports and... another big industry I won't mention...) and inflated paychecks to the prima donnas (sp?) that keep the costs of making movies very high.

The Collector's Edition DVD of Silent Hill will exist one day, but not for a long time.

So sad, I read the title wrong...

The game is very successful in Anglo-Saxon Countries, such as the United States and the England, or also in Germany. But it is necessary to know that has only scarcely sold some thousands of copies in France... just as in Japan where Silent Hill has no commercial viability! This is a game that's very esoteric for a lot of people...

I was unaware of that... Which makes it all the more shocking that a French director picked it up.

Q: Which type of director could do Silent Hill 2?

The Japanese are really listening to us. They did not want to do a Hollywood film, and I think that the best way to acheive this would be for the director of the next Silent Hill to remain European. And in a best case scenario, French.

Q: You have a specific director in mind?

I have ideas. But if this does come to pass (a new director takes over), I would not be very far. With Samuel Hadida, everyone is "family"...

So the plan is to keep Hadida as Producer, I guess. I'm still not entirely sure what a producer's job is, but... That's at least comforting on a surface level.

I was really waiting for a special edition of the first Silent Hill... I know people ####### and moaned about the length, but it honestly didn't feel long to me... Maybe that's because I think of this at least partly as an adventure film. Adventure always takes more time than just scaring people. It is a beautiful world that deserves a bit more time to look it over.

Chronicles of riddick, on the other hand, though it was only 10 minutes longer than Silent Hill, felt like it took forever... I guess you'll put up with longer movies if you want to.
Bobtheduck

Return to General Entertainment