Eragon: The Movie

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:15 pm

Needle Noggin wrote:Here is my summary (*Spoilers*):

Long ago Dragonriders (Jedi) who use magic (the Force), maintained peace in the land. But then one rider turned evil (Darkside) and betrayed the Dragonriders (Jedi). He gets another rider to join him (Darth Vader) who has strong magic (the Force). The first one becomes the Emperor (The Emperor) who hunts down and kills all the Dragonriders (Jedi) and enslaves the land.

Eragon (Luke) lives on a farm with his uncle (Luke's uncle) on the outskirts of the empire (Tatooine). Meanwhile, a dragon egg (the Death Star plans) are captured by a princess (Leia). She tries to deliver it to an old dragon rider who lost his dragon (Obi Wan). She is captured by the emperor's right handman(Vader), but not before she teleports the egg (Death Star plans) away (sending R2 to Tatooine). Eragon finds the egg (Death Star plans) in the woods by chance (Luke buys the droids). Eragon (Luke) then finds that the egg has a dragon in it and looks for the old Dragonrider (Obi Wan). While talking to the rider (Obi Wan) bug faced Nazgul ripoffs (Stormtrooper/Nazgul) kill Eragon's (Luke's) uncle and destroy his farm. The rider (Obi Wan) informs Eragon (Luke) that he is the last Dragonrider (last Jedi) and that only he can save the Vandar (Rebels) He then sets off on a quest with the rider (Obi Wan) to seek out the Vandar (The Rebels)...

On route to the Vandar (Rebels) Eragon (Luke) and the rider (Obi Wan) take a detour to rescue the princess (Leia). The rider (Obi Wan) teaches Eragon (Luke) how to ride his dragon (use the Force). While Eragon (Luke) is rescuing the princess (Leia) the Emperor's right hand man (Vader) attacks. The rider (Obi Wan) appears and sacrifices himself to save Eragon (Luke). Eragon (Luke) goes back on his way to the Vandar (Rebels). Upon reaching the Vandar (Rebels) the Urgals (Stormtroopers/Orcs, who have been attacking Eragon(Luke) since the begining) begin to attack. The emperors right hand man (Vader) prevents Eragon (Luke) using his dragon to beat the army. Eragon ultimately deafeats (Vader) and his magic dragon (Death Star) by using his dragon(the Force). Eragon (Luke) is lauded for his acomplishments (End of Star Wars).

Hahahaha, wow, I had heard it was a lot like Star Wars and LOTR, but I had no idea it was THAT similar. XD That's amusing, aside from being downright plagarisim. :lol:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby beau99 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:33 am

I personally saw nothing similar to Star Wars. If there was any similarity, I would've hated the movie without watching it.
beau99

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:42 am

Really? Star Wars bites Eragon in the butt easily.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby wingedfox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:26 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:I was hoping they'd improve on the story, but man they left a lot of stuff out.

you can say that again I was deeply deeply disappointed with the movie. they left so many things out and what they did hahve they really messed up on. the Rozaks(think i spelt that wrong) didn't look any thing like they where supposed to. they are bettle bird thing with hunched up backs, not mummy looking things made of beattles.(i know i'm spelling stuff wrong(i think)). I was so mad at the end of it...oh and did anyoone see a dwarf in the Vadacan(sp) hide out? Not a single one did I spy. They consintrated so much on flying and battles that they left out 80% of the story. :bang:
wingedfox

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:19 pm

So I'm not the only one, huh? Somehow I doubted I would be. There was so much stuff in the book that I really wanted to see in the movie but it just wasn't there. The problem with this movie is that they tried to stuff a 400-some-odd page book into a movie less than 2 hours long. I understand the need to do a little editing here and there in order to make a screenplay out of a novel, but you can't be afraid to take your time with something like this. Also, Eragon is a Fantasy. Fantasy books and films are typically at least as much drama as there is action, in most cases more drama with action in the right spots to keep it from getting boring. If you take out too much of the drama, you're just left with Die Hard With A Dragon.
Kinda like when Hayao Miyazaki's original Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga was turned into the anime film "Warriors of the Wind" (though at least that was a halfway decent Japanese film first before it got chopped up and served with rancid gravy to American audiences).

Oh, and by the way... it's "Varden".
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Kawaiikneko » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:08 pm

I read the book and it held my attention... though once I was done I looked back and wondered why I had read it. The actual story is very very predictable, but as a casual read it's okay.

I plan to see the movie eventually... <.<; Though I doubt it'll be very good.
Kawaiikneko

Postby wingedfox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:47 am

SpoonyBard wrote:So I'm not the only one, huh? Somehow I doubted I would be. There was so much stuff in the book that I really wanted to see in the movie but it just wasn't there. The problem with this movie is that they tried to stuff a 400-some-odd page book into a movie less than 2 hours long. I understand the need to do a little editing here and there in order to make a screenplay out of a novel, but you can't be afraid to take your time with something like this. Also, Eragon is a Fantasy. Fantasy books and films are typically at least as much drama as there is action, in most cases more drama with action in the right spots to keep it from getting boring. If you take out too much of the drama, you're just left with Die Hard With A Dragon.
Kinda like when Hayao Miyazaki's original Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga was turned into the anime film "Warriors of the Wind" (though at least that was a halfway decent Japanese film first before it got chopped up and served with rancid gravy to American audiences).

Oh, and by the way... it's "Varden".

thanks (bad at keeping the names of ppl straight :sweat: )
wingedfox

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:48 am

Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:32 am

ooh that was painfully almost true..XD I loved the movie...but..the actor for Eragon...seemed...a little fruity to me..THERE I said it!

of course he looked like a guy I once took to Winter Formal...who I later found out decided to turn to the dark side...>3< Thank goodness i never dated him..

so yeah.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:44 am

Evidently all the critics I have read hated this movie.The last one I read said it was
like watching a videogame.
Then of course there are the rumors that Paolini 'wrote' the novel by using
the paste and clip features on his computer.
Whenever Paolini actually writes a book worth reading,wake me up.Of course that will be when he stops pretending and actually learns the craft of writing.
mitsuki lover

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:37 pm

Well, consider Paolini's age and relative inexperience in writing. He started writing Eragon when he was 16. Is it a tad formulaic? Yes. But all things considered, it's a pretty good book. You just have to put out of your mind the idea that The Lord of the Rings ever existed while you're reading it, or else you'll end up picking it apart and you won't enjoy it at all.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:50 pm

SpoonyBard wrote:Well, consider Paolini's age and relative inexperience in writing. He started writing Eragon when he was 16. Is it a tad formulaic? Yes. But all things considered, it's a pretty good book. You just have to put out of your mind the idea that The Lord of the Rings ever existed while you're reading it, or else you'll end up picking it apart and you won't enjoy it at all.

16 when he started, sure, but he's 23 now.
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Actually, 15 when he started. I think it's a great book though and I can't wait to see the movie.
Tommy

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:58 pm

please don't tell me the bad guy is really his dad...*groans*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Maledicte » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:11 am

ChristianRonin wrote:please don't tell me the bad guy is really his dad...*groans*

At the end of Eldest (the second book), Murtagh tells Eragon...

[SPOILER]"Eragon, I AM YOUR BROTHER"[/SPOILER]
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:42 am

Blarg!

Paolini, you are a regular Einstein.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mave » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:07 am

Even before reading this thread, I seriously thought that the lead character looks a mighty lot like a mix between Luke and young Anakin Skywalker.
Mave

Postby beau99 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:31 am

K.

I saw the movie and I'm currently reading the book.

I still see no Star Wars resemblance.

Even if I did see something, it's not totally fair to call Eragon a Star Wars clone when Star Wars is a clone of stories before it.
beau99

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:35 am

beau99 wrote:K.

I saw the movie and I'm currently reading the book.

I still see no Star Wars resemblance.

Even if I did see something, it's not totally fair to call Eragon a Star Wars clone when Star Wars is a clone of stories before it.

Just because Star Wars takes place in outer space and Eragon takes place in a medieval time period doesn't mean there can't be similarities in the plot line. Can't you see all 50-something (or more, I didn't really count) similarities in the summary that NeedleNoggin posted? XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:53 pm

I read needle noggins summary to my friend and thats exactly what she said "they cant be similar cuz star wars is sci-fi and eragon is fantasy" I gave up....

LOL this was possibly the most Dissapointing thing about 2006 for me... Reading what everyone told me was an AMAZING book and finding it to be a copy of every other fantasy book... and have A writing style I couldn't engage myself in... then going to the movie and having it be even worse then the book.

if you must see this movie rent it... it is not worth 7 dollars to get into the theatre...

First off they cut out 3/4 of the book... bleh and what they do have in there goes at breakneck pace... not only that but the scenes are blocky and don't flow and the dialog is just... wierd...

consider if you will the very first line spoken by a character "I suffer without my stone... do not prolong my suffering" Does it not bring forth a bubbling fountain of laughter?

not only that but saphira looks nothing like described in the book (she has feathery scales on her wings... NO SPIKES... and her wings come off of her rear legs back end area) and the costumes are really bad... they dont look old and rugged but new and dry cleaned. it really bugged me.. not to mention that they changed alot of the characters personalities and appearances..

all in all it was a very bad movie! yah Im done ranting now!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:10 pm

Arya... was too nice...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby onyxmoon21 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:14 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I totally understand what you're saying.
Saphira has feathers!! I was incredibly disgusted upon first sight and still am. A dragon like her isn't supposed to have feathers--wasn't in the book, shouldn't be in the movie.
Also, what's up with Aria? I hate her, hate her, hate her. She was sooooo meeeean in the book, but in the movie she doesn't seem all that cruel. That totally bugs me. Totally. I want her to be just as horrible in the film so I can keep on despising her. (Mwahahahaha!)
Plus, she's supposed to have black hair. Black! Not red/brown!
onyxmoon21

Postby Mega.EXE » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:01 pm

onyxmoon21 wrote:Plus, she's supposed to have black hair. Black! Not red/brown!

That's what I said! Then when Saphira flew in the sky it went bang boom poof I'm a big kid now!
Mega.EXE

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:39 pm

Vernhal wrote:consider if you will the very first line spoken by a character "I suffer without my stone... do not prolong my suffering" Does it not bring forth a bubbling fountain of laughter?

That...is so hilarious, that it almost makes me want to see the movie. XDD Whoever wrote for this thing should be shot. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Rachel » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:02 pm

My little sister saw this the other day and said that she was crying, it was so bad. If I see it, it'll just be so I can laugh at it.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:57 pm

Arya... was more annoying than Eragon, and that's saying something for the most unfulfilling 'hero' of fantasy ever.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:10 pm

O_o woooow.. what book was I reading? Arya was mean? O_o
Yeah...that part about the stone...was kinda "....*gag*

I didn't really like it when Saphira was all of a sudden big either... I was like "but...wait.." O_O HE IS SUPPOSED TO STRUGGLE TO FIND FOOD!! =.=
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:49 pm

Thankfully, I saw the movie before readnig the book (learned my lesson from Stormbreaker), and so I was able to enjoy it. I knew that they would have to cut out a ton of stuff and would probably change things I would hate if I read teh book first (and from teh little I've seen of this topic, I was correct).

Now, after enjoying the movie, I can read the book and be amazed at how much they left out and how much better it is.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby beau99 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:18 am

Radical Dreamer wrote:Just because Star Wars takes place in outer space and Eragon takes place in a medieval time period doesn't mean there can't be similarities in the plot line.

Yes, there could be similarites. I'm just saying it's not really fair to call it a Star Wars clone when Star Wars itself isn't original.

Can't you see all 50-something (or more, I didn't really count) similarities in the summary that NeedleNoggin posted? XD

Not one.

Oh btw, I find the book extremely boring. The movie still rocks though.
beau99

Postby yukinon » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:58 am

My boyfriend practically inhaled the books. I don't plan on reading them, since I already have at least three bookshelves full of things to read.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment