College Football 06!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Peanut » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:49 pm

Eh...maybe...Georgia Tech has a great receiver, WVU has a bad secondary and WVU has a history of letting people down when it comes to bowl games...yeah, um, I wouldn't pick them to win a bowl game unless it was against like California Santa Cruz...they just have a bad history...hopefully Pat White, Rodriguez and the rest of the gang can fix that...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:02 pm

Peanut wrote:Eh...maybe...Georgia Tech has a great receiver, WVU has a bad secondary and WVU has a history of letting people down when it comes to bowl games...yeah, um, I wouldn't pick them to win a bowl game unless it was against like California Santa Cruz...they just have a bad history...hopefully Pat White, Rodriguez and the rest of the gang can fix that...

Doesn't matter, when they have a bad QB. Not sure if you seen much of Georgia Tech this year, but Reggie Ball (there QB) is not that good at all. His best game came, when they played Samford ( DI-AA team).

Calvin Johnson is a great receiver, but if they let Reggie Ball play, Calvin will not hurt WVU at all.

I really hope that Calvin Johnson will stay for his SR year. Tech will be a much better team, if he stays and have a new QB.

GT is getting the #1 QB out of the state of Georgia next year and they have two other QB's that were rated high coming out of high school.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:08 am

Well, Florida is #2. I’m not surprised – actually I suspect that Michigan got torpedoed in the polls intentionally to prevent a re-match.

So, the BCS games are finally set:

Rose: Oh how I grieve for the grand-daddy of them all as it host the I’d Rather be in Arizona Bowl between Michigan and USC.

Orange: Louisville vs. Wake Forest

Sugar: LSU vs. Notre Dame. Both Auburn and Wisconsin finished ahead of Notre Dame in the AP, Harris, and Coach’s Polls and BCS rankings. Do they really deserve the BCS at large bid?

Fiesta: Oklahoma vs. unbeaten Boise State. Will Boise be able to claim a share of the title? BCS haters may make a case for it, but I doubt even the AP would be able to justify such a ranking.

Championship Game: OSU vs. Florida. By the way, even though the game isn’t technically the Fiesta Bowl this year, this will be OSU’s fourth appearance in an Arizona bowl game in five years, starting with the 2002 National Title game. The Buckeyes are currently 3-0 under Tressel and 4-1 over all in Arizona bowl games.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby meboeck » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:39 am

termyt wrote:Rose: Oh how I grieve for the grand-daddy of them all as it host the I’d Rather be in Arizona Bowl between Michigan and USC.

While both teams are obviously disappointed, I have to say it should be an excellent game. And while the BCS Bowl is very important, the Rose Bowl is a Big 10 tradition that goes way back. Go Michigan and Ohio State!
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:58 am

Rose Bowl is also the big one for the Pac 10 don't forget going back to when it was still the Pac 8 vs. the Big 8.This is why I so despise the stupid BCS(one of many reasons).I hate it because it took away the tradition of keeping the Rose Bowl solely between the Pac 10 and Big 10.Personally I DON'T want to see a Rose Bowl game between West Virginia and Texas,when I watch the Rose Bowl I want to see
Washington vs. Minnesota or Washington vs.Michigan or Washington vs.Ohio State
or Minnesota vs. Oregon or Minnesota vs.USC or Minnesota vs. Cal or something like that.
In short IMO the National Championship should stay away from the Rose Bowl and it should have remained a sectional rivalry between the Pac 10 and the Big 10.
mitsuki lover

Postby termyt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:02 pm

Well, you get your wish - sort of - this year. USC is the Pac-10 champ, I think. OSU is the Big Ten champ, so the Rose Bowl will have to settle for 2nd place Michigan.

But face it, even in the years leading up to the BCS - the same out come would have likely happened since they were trying to have #1 and #2 play each other. Either the Rose Bowl would have hosted OSU - Florida or ot would have hosted Michigan - USC, just as it is doing this year.

Now, there is a National Championship game that is separate from the other bowls, so the Rose Bowl will likely continue to host the best Big Ten and Pac Ten teams available.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:48 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Rose Bowl is also the big one for the Pac 10 don't forget going back to when it was still the Pac 8 vs. the Big 8.This is why I so despise the stupid BCS(one of many reasons).I hate it because it took away the tradition of keeping the Rose Bowl solely between the Pac 10 and Big 10.Personally.

But it didn't start out that way. There has been alot of other teams play in the Rose bowl, dating back to 1920's.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:40 pm

Eh, but the rose bowl feels like a Big Ten/Pac Ten tradition. Honestly I think we should just either incorporate the bowl games into some sort of tournament or just get rid of them all together and have a tournament to decide th champion...but that will never happen...sadly...anyway, it doesn't seem like Yahoo is going to have a bowl pick'em...which is sad...but here are the bowl games I am most interested in...

Papa John's.com Bowl or the I shut down Steve Slaton Bowl: South Florida vs. East Carolina- This should be a nice low scoring game. Neither team has a spectacular offense but both have great defenses as my little nick name shows...they have both shut down slaton but only South Florida was actually able to beat WVU...so yeah, I think they will win...

Holiday Bowl: Texas AM vs. California

Texas Bowl: Rutgers vs. Kansas St.- Rutgers tries to add to the success of their amazing season by winning their first bowl game ever.

Meineke Bowl: Navy vs. Boston College

MPC Computers Bowl: Miami vs. Nevada- I want to see how Coker does in his last game as the head coach of Miami.

Cotton Bowl: Auburn vs. Nebraska- Auburn should win but you never know...

Gator Bowl: Geogia Tech vs. WVU- I went to a Gator Bowl a long time ago and well...yeah...WVU lost. In fact they are 10-15 all time in bowl games and they have never won a Gator Bowl in fact they haven't scored over 20 points in a Gator Bowl. They are also 0-2 against Georgia Tech all time. While Georgia Tech doesn't have a good quarterback, it doesn't take a very good one to beat WVU when they can't cover one of the best recievers in the nation. Also, Georiga Tech's defense didn't look to bad but...well...only two teams have really been able to slow down WVU. Thanks to the Neihlein era I have learned to never pick WVU to win a bowl game. I didn't think they would this year and I am not that confident this year...but hey...Slaton and White have been known for breaking all of those horrible trends WVU has had throughout the year...so why not...WVU will slaughter Georgia Tech making me the happiness panda on New Years day...I hope...

Capital One Bowl or the I should be in a BCS bowl game bowl-Wisconsin vs. Arkansas: Arkansas might not deserve and at large bid but compared to Notre Dame they definitely do. The fact that Wisconsin isn't in a BCS bowl game is just a crime...they should sue the BCS for choosing an eleventh ranked Notre Dame team over them.

Orange Bowl: Wake Forest vs. Louisville- The hunter become the hunted...

Sugar Bowl: LSU vs. Notre Dame: No Steve Slaton to set a new record this year...but we do get Brady Quin and well...LSU...

Rose Bowl: USC vs. Michigan- termyt said it best...

BCS Championship: Ohio St. vs. Florida- The game that will show us how truly good this Florida team is. If they win, then we will have no choice but say they deserved to play in that game. But if they get slaughtered...well...I fear what will happen to the BCS...

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Peanut wrote:Eh, but the rose bowl feels like a Big Ten/Pac Ten tradition. Honestly I think we should just either incorporate the bowl games into some sort of tournament or just get rid of them all together and have a tournament to decide th champion...but that will never happen...sadly...anyway, it doesn't seem like Yahoo is going to have a bowl pick'em...which is sad...but here are the bowl games I am most interested in...

Yeah, it just wasn't untill 1947 that the rose bowl, become a Big Ten/Pac Ten tradition.

I like to see them play all the bowls and then take the top #8 rated teams or top #4 and play for the title. It will make the bowl people happy, it will make the fans happy, it will make the small schools happy.

Gator Bowl: Geogia Tech vs. WVU- I went to a Gator Bowl a long time ago and well...yeah...WVU lost. In fact they are 10-15 all time in bowl games and they have never won a Gator Bowl in fact they haven't scored over 20 points in a Gator Bowl. They are also 0-2 against Georgia Tech all time. While Georgia Tech doesn't have a good quarterback, it doesn't take a very good one to beat WVU when they can't cover one of the best recievers in the nation. Also, Georiga Tech's defense didn't look to bad but...well...only two teams have really been able to slow down WVU. Thanks to the Neihlein era I have learned to never pick WVU to win a bowl game. I didn't think they would this year and I am not that confident this year...but hey...Slaton and White have been known for breaking all of those horrible trends WVU has had throughout the year...so why not...WVU will slaughter Georgia Tech making me the happiness panda on New Years day...I hope..

Read the Atlanta paper today, and coach Chan Gailey may not let Reggie Ball play much in the Gator bowl.

If Gailey does that as not let Reggie Ball play. I can only say one thing to that, its about time!

ESPN may have a bowl pick them. I think CBS sportsline has one too. I can check.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:31 am

I would like to see the bowls become a playoff system. It will never happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing the season return to a ten game season and then follow that up with a 16 team play-off. From the chatter I here, people are calling for an 8 team playoff, which will immediately reveal the same kind of flaws that those same people decry about the current system.

Since they are the supposed "experts," it would be nice if they thought it through before running their half-baked ideas, especially since some of those folks think Michigan should play OSU again for the title. Or do those people actually think Michigan would have made it into an 8 team play-off this year? They would have been eliminated from play-off contention upon their loss to OSU on Nov 18.

With only 8 teams in the play-offs, every year will se the same kind of controversy around the number 10 ranked spot. With 16 teams – one additional week of games – the controversy is removed. All of the teams who would be ranked in the top ten would be available for the playoffs and no one cares much about teams ranked over 15.

A downside of the playoff system is the additional games that need to be played, so reduce the season to ten games. 16 team playoffs equal 4 more games for those who eventually make the finals – or one more game than most play now.

There are 15 games in a 16 team playoff. The lower ranking bowls will serve for the first two rounds of the playoffs. There will be 12 games each year for them to play. The higher ranked bowls – the BCS bowls - will take the final two rounds on a four year rotational basis – each bowl gets 1 final, 2 semifinals, and 1 quarterfinal game in the cycle.

It’ll never happen, though. Schools will not give up the revenue generated by the two extra games they play and no bowl wants to be a stepping stone for another game – not even the PappaWhoOutsideTheCollegesPlayingCares.com bowl.
termyt

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:43 am

I do think there are too many bowls now and I would like to see them cut the bowl games back, but have a playoff after the bowl games.

I feel that if you have a 16 team playoff is just not right. I feel that teams like Hawaii and Oregon State should get a treat for having a good season and get a bowl game.

It wouldn't be fair to teams like that and tell them, well you guys had a good season. Time for the playoffs, so sit a home and watch the 16 teams that are in it. We will call you, next season.

I also, think that every confernce should have a confernce title game.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:16 pm

I agree.I think they should keep the following bowls:
1.Rose Bowl
2.Cotton Bowl
3.Orange Bowl
4.Hawaii Bowl(or whatever it's called)
5.Sun Bowl
these are the main ones in any case.Also they should cut out the sponsor's name from the title.I mean no-one really says I am going to watch the Frito Lays__Bowl.
As far as title games go,well everyone knows that generally it has been the
#1 Pac 10 team vs. the #1 Big 10 team in the Rose Bowl until the BCS screwed things up.
As far as a play off goes,I don't think there ought to be one.I think instead they should have #1 vs. #2 after the last regular Bowl game in some place like
Canton,Ohio.
mitsuki lover

Postby Peanut » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Good ideas, before I give my opinion I would like to correct something I said. Yesterday I stated that it was a crime that Wisconsin wasn't in a bowl game...well...I finally realized why...and actually it's not a bad reason at all. I am pretty sure that I have heard somewhere that the BCS will only accept a maximum of two teams from a conference, so even though Arkansas, Auburn and Wisconsin deserve a BCS bid more then Notre Dame, this would have placed three or more teams from the SEC or the Big 10 in the BCS thus violating that rule...and honestly, that makes sense. They have tried to make the BCS available to all teams from all conferences so they have limited the conferences to two bids (even if it isn't a rule, I'm pretty sure that's why those teams aren't in a BCS bowl game...). Now then, it's time for me to criticize the BCS. I think the two ideas you guys have presented make sense and I think mitsuki is right about the bowl games which have to be kept. I honestly would like to see a 32 team playoff system but that's probably a little to large to ever happen. termyt, I like the fact that your system would probably allow teams like WVU, who have slipped up twice but are a BCS quality team, a second chance, but I think it would probably work better if some bowl games existed separately from the actual tournament. This way teams that had a good season could still be featured on TV and would be able to earn their programs some money. Remeber, the NCAA Basketball tournament is not the only way for teams to participate in games in the off season, there is also the NIT tournament...does anyone care about it outside of who's in it? Of course not...but it still keeps people from complaining or criticizing that system. WingZero22's system is actually the most likely to happen out of what we've suggested so far. As he said, everyone would be happy and it would give people a reason to treat any of the bowl games as a very important game and not some reward for a good season.

Wingzero22 wrote:ESPN may have a bowl pick them. I think CBS sportsline has one too. I can check.

I would think they would. Honestly I'm a little surprised that Yahoo doesn't, of course they might have one and just haven't started it yet. If either of them has a free pick'em, go ahead and set up a league. If you can't I would be more then happy too.

Peanut

Postby termyt » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 am

No Fiesta Bowl? That bowl's been around for 35 years. I've got nothing against the Hawaii Bowl, but I'm not sure I'd include it in a "must haves" and leave out the Sugar and Fiesta Bowls. What about the New Mexico Bowl, then?

Anyways, there are currently 31 bowl games according to a count my brother made yesterday. That's 16 Bowls not covered by my plan to allow for Bowl games for teams not necassarily in the running for the national title. You can do want you want to do with them - either add another week to the playoffs and allow 16 more teams in for a total of 32 or keep them separate from the system.
termyt

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Last year, it was 29 bowl games.

Three have been added to this year.

The three new bowl games are,

PapaJohns.com Bowl at Birmingham, Alabama

New Mexico Bowl at Albuquerque, New Mexico

International Bowl in Toronto.

The Hawaii Bowl use to be Aloha Bowl.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:27 am

We only need about 20-30 more and then every division one school can be in one.
termyt

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:08 am

termyt wrote:We only need about 20-30 more and then every division one school can be in one.

I'm still waiting for the two worst losing record teams to play in the toilet bowl that would be sponsor by 2000 Flushes.

Here is something that I didn't know about bowl games.

As we all know, the rose bowl is the oldest bowl game and I knew that the Sugar, Orange Bowl and Sun Bowl started in 1935 and the Cotton Bowl started in 1937.

But Gator Bowl started in 1946 and the Capital One Bowl started in 1947 under the name, Tangerine Bowl and then in 1983 it change its name to Florida Citrus Bowl.

I knew that it use to be called the Tangerine bowl, but I didn't know that it was that old.

Boston College coach Tom O'Brien has been hired as the new North Carolina State coach.

West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez did met with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore on Tuesday and West Virginia plans to spend millions on its football facilities in hope to keep Rich there.

Also this week's college football news, former University of Miami and NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar would like to return to the Hurricanes as their next coach.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:45 pm

Wingzero22 wrote:West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez did met with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore on Tuesday and West Virginia plans to spend millions on its football facilities in hope to keep Rich there.

Yeah, I've heard, hopefully Rodriguez won't leave. He probably won't but you can never be sure...

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm

Randy Shannon, the Hurricanes' defensive coordinator has agreed to a four-year contract to become the school's new head coach.

Alabama has offer a six-year, $12 million offer to Rodriguez, and Alabama would also pay West Virginia a $2 million buyout.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:30 am

I think Bernie will make an excellent coach. He was never the most physically gifted of QB's in the NFL (reference "side-arm passing") but he had a great understanding of the game. If he can pass that understanding on to his players, he has the potential to be a great coach. It's too bad Miami passed on him.
termyt

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:41 am

When to the Georgia high school football semi finals game that were played at the dome yestersday. I saw that the report on Rodriguez was that he was offered the deal at Alabama, but he didn't take it.

Smart move really. If you didn't play at Alabama then you are not going to be like at Alabama.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:55 am

*Celebrates the fact that Rodriguez is staying at WVU* Boy am I glad that that is all over especially since ESPN claimed that he had excepted that deal, thus making me quite upset yesterday. This was a very good move on Rodriguez's part mostly because if he probably wouldn't of lasted more then three years at Alabama thanks to the lofty expectations the fans have.

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:29 pm

Peanut wrote:*Celebrates the fact that Rodriguez is staying at WVU* Boy am I glad that that is all over especially since ESPN claimed that he had excepted that deal, thus making me quite upset yesterday. This was a very good move on Rodriguez's part mostly because if he probably wouldn't of lasted more then three years at Alabama thanks to the lofty expectations the fans have.

Not just the fans, but the trustes (sp). Alabama is never going to get a good coach untill they know that they can't live in the past.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm

First of all, Troy Smith just won the Heisman...so congratulations to him...what' more interesting is that Darren McFadden finished Second and Steve Slaton finished Fourth meaning that next years Heisman race should be very intersting especially if you add Ray Rice, Pat White and all those other spectacular Sophmore's and Juniors who got Heisman hype...finally I have gone ahead and made a Bowl Pick'em group at espn.com. All you need to play is a free espn account and this information about our private group:

Group Name: CAA Bowl Pick'em
Password: blah

Then just make your choices...oh and this version has that whole confidence point system thing...and I don't think I can turn it off...but I can try if any of you want.

Peanut

Postby termyt » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:39 am

I was a little surprised McFadden finished second. It like they were making a statement, but I'm not sure if it was directed towards McFadden or Quinn.
termyt

Postby Peanut » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:38 pm

Wow...I'm surprised nobody but me has joined the group I set up...I thought at least one other person would join...well, you guys have until the 28th of Decemeber...so if your interested...join...

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:02 pm

Peanut wrote:Wow...I'm surprised nobody but me has joined the group I set up...I thought at least one other person would join...well, you guys have until the 28th of Decemeber...so if your interested...join...

I'm going to. I just have to wait untill tomorrow to sign up on espn.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:12 am

I will find my way there eventually
termyt

Postby termyt » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:55 am

Two things -

The password is Blah, not blah. Just a helpful hint for those who may want to join.

And the really annoying thing - ESPN will display your real name beside your pick'em ID. I would advise against giving ESPN your real name unless you don't care about it being displayed to everyone in any fantasy group you join there.
termyt

Postby Peanut » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:20 pm

Yeah...that's why I made my name Meh Meh...and wow...I didn't get my password right...woops...my bad...

Peanut

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment