Classic Movies

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:12 pm

I like the old horror-type movies like Frankenstein, Little Shop of Horrors, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. I really wanna see Soylent Green. I can't believe I haven't yet.
Also, The French Connection, The Italian Job (the original), Hard Boiled and The Professional are all pretty good.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:19 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I recently saw Kurosawa's Ikiru and I must say it was incredibly slow, deep, and moving. Such a good film.

I'm glad you liked it. But you say slow as if it's a bad thing. If you meant it as a good thing, then you should have said "deliberately slow". ;) :grin:
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:47 pm

there's a trilogy of movies done about musashi morimoto that's really good that came out many years ago, i think kae knows what i'm talking about, it's called "the samurai" i believe, i've only been able to see the second in the trilogy, but between the story and the actual acting its very good, an other oldie that's a goodie = the heiress (1949) with olivia de havilland, good story and the way the dude gets burned at the end rocks like a volcano
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:26 am

[quote="bigsleepj"]I'm glad you liked it. But you say slow as if it's a bad thing. If you meant it as a good thing, then you should have said "deliberately slow". ]
Well I meant in a good way. Deliberately slow I meant.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:51 pm

This is the time of the year for one of everyone's favorite classics:
It's A Wonderful Life starring life long Presbyterian Jimmy Stewart.
mitsuki lover

Postby knivesmominlaw » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:01 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Umm... I don't watch much classics either. I find most to be boring (sorry, blah blah I have a low attention span, cant appreciate good ol fasion movies blah blah... I don't care... a classic IMO, is something that is good and I've watched it a dozen times).

ANYWAY, the only classic I REALLY like (i actually bought the set cause I think they're so awesome) is The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly... and the other two movies in the series. And is Dr. No a classic? Its the first in the James Bond series at least and made before 1980 so I guess its old enough :P (yes I know Dr No was made in 62 but anyway...)

Since you brought up The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly...I have to mention Once Upon a Time in the West directed by Sergio Leone. For the first 10 minutes or more all you see is close up shots of these guys waiting at a train station...and water dripping.

When I was a kid it was on TV. We just happened across it and were intrigued by the beginning...We hadn't planned to watch it, but we kept waiting to see what would happen..what were they waiting for? who were they? Got hooked, saw the entire movie and have loved it ever since. Great twist. Love the harmonica.
knivesmominlaw

Postby knivesmominlaw » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:07 pm

heero yuy 95 wrote: To Kill a Mockingbird- Though it leaves out some from the book, it reflects on a simpler time, a very touching movie not only exploring the issue of racism, but it also has a nice touch of innocence, being told from the eyes of a young girl.

Definately gotta agree with you on this one. Movie was very well done. Made me go read the book which was terrific.
knivesmominlaw

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:01 pm

Well if we're talking classics nothing gets better than The Day The Earth Stood Still.
If you want Sci Fi.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:56 pm

I watched "Vertigo" for the first time yesterday and thought it was brilliantly done. Not one I'd watch over and over just for fun, but there is a lot of thought put into all the little details which really add to the suspense and development of the story. Great, great acting as well as Hitchcock's ability to get into your head.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:18 pm

Hmmm... I didn't like Vertigo. Some clever things but I found it overate and a bit slow paced compared to many of his others.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby samuraidragon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:42 pm

Darn it! The second I saw this thread the first two movies that came to my head were Seven Samurai and the Samurai trilogy, and they've already been mentioned.

Anyways other favorites are:
The Manchurian Candidate
The Day the Earth Stood Still (haven't been able to see all of it yet)
Some movie about Death taking a vacation, I can't remember the name.
The Incredible Shrinking Man (yes, it was actually a really good movie)

I have many more, but I can't seem to remember any names, just images. I'll post back later.
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby Technomancer » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:29 am

Since quite a few of my own favourites have been mentioned here, I'll just list a few others that are worth seeing.

The Sand Pebbles
The Fall of the Roman Empire (tells a similar story to Gladiator, but is far better).
Inherit the Wind (see the B&W version with Spencer Tracy, not the later colourized version).
The Great Dictator
The Day the Earth Caught Fire
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:10 pm

I recently saw an interesting movie called Aguirre: The Wrath of God, a disturbing German movie about Conquistadors in the late 1500s looking for El Dorado and their leader, Don Lupe de Aguirre, going insane as they sall down the Amazon. It is arguably one of the most disturbing movies I've also watched in my life, but only disturbing on a very subtle level.
bigsleepj

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:55 pm

The Lion In Winter is a good one that deals with the family life of Henry II.
The Robe is the best Biblical epic ever made,with Richard Burton and Elizabeth
Taylor.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz(of course)with Judy Garland.
The Sons of Katy Elder,John Wayne and Dean Martin.
The Great Escape,Steve McQueen and James Garner in the greatest war movie of all time.
The Good,The Bad And The Ugly Clint Eastwood continues the saga of The Man With No Name.
mitsuki lover

Postby HisaishiFan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:18 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:They apparently were having a Topper marathon on TCM yesterday.
Topper being the comedy series about the Englishman who is haunted by a dead
beauty.

I love the first Topper movie, but not really any of the others. Cary Grant and Constance Bennett are a hoot (even if they did sort of die from drunk driving . . .) Glenda the Good Witch a/k/a Billie Burke plays Cosmo Topper's (Roland Young's) rather uptight wife.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:19 pm

Anyone ever seen Fitzcarraldo? I saw it today. It's a cult-clasic epic. I rather liked.
bigsleepj

Postby samuraidragon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:21 pm

Has anyone ever seen Zotz!?
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 pm

My Girl Friday was on TCM the other day. I love that movie--really funny, and I love Cary Grant. They have such rapid-fire dialogue in that movie, too...so fast paced, you can barely keep up at times. You don't see something like that anymore.
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby rocklobster » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:12 am

YES! Someone else on here has seen Dr. Strangelove! I'm surprised no one's mentioned the ultimate classic: Citizen Kane. This is probably the one movie Orson Welles will be best remembered for.
"Rose-bud..."
(And no, I am not going to spoil the significance of the quote.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:23 am

Strangelove is one of the best movies I've seen. But I'm sorry, Citizen Kane is highly overated. Highly. It's not a bad movie, it's just not, well, as good as other movies from before or after it.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:43 pm

Is Seven Samurai any good?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:05 pm

Well, first thing you got to realise about seven samurai is that it's very old (of all Kurosawa's best films it is one of those who aged badly, in my oppinion). Second it is not really an action movie, but a complex drama examining the certain aspects life of of samurai as well as the Japanese caste system. If you are willing to go with that, well, then it might just be one of the best movie experiences you'll likely ever have.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:41 pm

I can enjoy a good old movie (it's from the mid-50s isn't it?) and a complex drama and I enjoy the samurai culture, so I'll give it a go.

Thanks J!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:51 pm

I watched All About Eve and The Philadelphia Story over Christmas, and I liked both of them for different reasons. Eve was incredibly written, tense, brilliantly performed and presented. The latter was fun and Jimmy Stewart was hilarious.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Is Seven Samurai any good?

it'd be cool if they did a remake of this movie. though i highly doubt that it would be better than the first if they did. anyways, one classic movie of mine (if it is considered classic), is The Goonies.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I can enjoy a good old movie (it's from the mid-50s isn't it?) and a complex drama and I enjoy the samurai culture, so I'll give it a go.

Thanks J!

You should also check out Yojimbo and Ikiru.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:29 pm

Yes! I echo Ryan's recommendations. Ikiru is arguably one of the best movies I've seen, though the first 90 minutes can be overwhelmingly depressing (though by the end the movie will be very uplifting).

Yojimbo (and its sequel, Sanjuro) haven't aged and are still excellent (though not as complex) and are easily enjoyable.
bigsleepj

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:49 am

I have yet to see Ikiru. I know it stars one of the actors from The Seven Samurai.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:06 am

Yes, Takashi Shimura, who played Kambei the leader, plays the bureaucrat in Ikiru, but he plays the role wholly differently. In Seven Samurai he was a wise, strong and charismatic leader of the band; in Ikiru he's a petty character who looks like a monkey behind a desk (though goes through a change through the movie); such two different characters, and he manages to pull them off.

Also many of the other Seven Samurai have smaller "cameo" roles, two as Yakuza in a brief scene (though the movie was made before Seven Samurai)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Previous

Return to General Entertainment