The Godfather

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Godfather

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:27 am

I just watched it. Highly overated. Yes the cinematography was nice, the acting was great, the locales were interesting but I just didn't get invested in the characters that much. The one that constantly annoyed me was The Godfather. He sounded lethargic, bored and was hard to understand (I turned subtitles on). His voice was novel for about 1 minute and then it became tiresome. I preferred the parts he wasn't in. I found the movie did not warrant its 2 hour 50 minute running time. It felt so slow and boring in places. I did enjoy the family interaction and whatever but surely it could have been cut down to 2 hours or something? For the most part it wasn't even entertaining and please don't call me an Xbox kiddie or MTV wannabe. I normally enjoy this sort of thing.

I don't know. This certainly isn't the greatest piece of cinema. Overblown, overated. If I want a gangster movie I prefer The Untouchables and Bonnie and Clyde and maybe some Dick Tracy.

Just my thoughts.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:05 am

(mild spoilers)
I'm going to disagree with you. :grin: I think The Godfather is an excellent movie. It was well acted (especially by Brando) and I don't think it is too long. It is nothing more than a story of the slow but willing moral corruption of a good person (Pacino) and his family. You must understand that Brando's performance in the movie (as sort of bored and lethargic) is part of a persona; at all times during the movie he wears a metaphorical mask, at times one of someone so in control that it bores him but it is a mask and nothing more. Sometimes he wears one of detached power. The only times he lets go of these "masks" is when he says to Michael Corleone that he never wanted him to be in the 'family' business. What makes the performance so good is both the subtlety and the screen presence of the character. Also the entire Godfather trilogy is about the words that Jesus said: what is it worth if a man gains the world yet loses his soul? Michael Corleone could have been a great man, especially since he had the oppertunity that other people in the criminal world do not have, but instead he becomes less than he could have been.

For the most part it wasn't even entertaining and please don't call me an Xbox kiddie or MTV wannabe.

I wont. :grin: Not liking one good movie doesn't make you an MTV wannabe, whatever that may be (sounds like one of them loaded terms :) ). Entertainment is a hard word to define, since it goes according to taste. If you didn't like it, then it doesn't mean you have bad taste.

Besides, "overated" movies can sometimes grow on you. It certainly happened with me.

If there is an overated movie, then it is Godfather Part II. Better than the first? Hardly. Now that's a slow, overlong movie if I've ever seen one. I doubt it'll ever fully grow on me.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:14 am

Hi J,

I realise The Godfather's character was meant to be like that, but his voice was still very annoying to me.
Maybe another fact I didn't like it was because I couldn't place the era it was in. The cars were generally early to mid 1940s but then much of the decor and hairstyles and clothing reminded me of the late 1960s/early 1970s. I know the movie was made in 1972 but at least keep the movie in the same era consistently!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Maybe another fact I didn't like it was because I couldn't place the era it was in. The cars were generally early to mid 1940s but then much of the decor and hairstyles and clothing reminded me of the late 1960s/early 1970s. I know the movie was made in 1972 but at least keep the movie in the same era consistently!

The movie's era was the years after World War 2 up until the late 1950s and I believe the movie is rather consistent as far as it is possible. Your observation about the clothes and hair (and in a sense the decor) is acute, but most period dramas echo the time they were made in somewhat, despite any attempts at accurary. Somehow they always reflect the attitudes and styles of the day they were made in, and the Godtather is no exception.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:27 am

I thought Marlon Brando's acting was AMAZING. He got the puffy cheeks with cotton balls in his mouth.

I think the reason why everyone likes it, was because Pacino's Character takes over the "family" for good reason, but turns into a vengeful character that goes on a destructive rampage against the other rival families, the way his father didn't want to have it done.

The best scene is when his Goddaughter is getting baptized, and when he's saying stuff like "I reject satan", parallel things are happening, where his men are clearly killing the rival gang-leaders. It's ironic and shocking.

The movie, yes I agree it's overrated, but like Citizen Kane, I felt it was really good. It's pretty emotional for a gangster film.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:52 am

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse!"
Even those of us who haven't seen the movie or read Mario Puzo's novel(yes it was a novel to begin with for those of you who may not be aware of it,just go down to your local library and check out the Ps in the fiction section)know at least that line and the part with the horse head.
Over all I would say it is the classic modern gangster movie.Ever since then anyone portraying a Mafioso Boss has copied Brando in one way or another.
btw:Later on Brando did a parody of his Godfather character but I can't remember the name of the movie.It was one where the main character is a college student who ends up involved with Brando's character.
mitsuki lover

Postby ashfire » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:30 pm

I remember when I went to see it when it first came out in the theaters. Alot better than watching it on a TV. I am trying to remember who I went with to see it. I think a bunch of us from the fire station went to see it. I think a few of us had our jaws drop during the wedding night scene :wow!:
Now the violence is what I guess you have to expect with a underworld life.
I know in my own fire company that our fire chief has been refered has The Godfather because of his family background and his way of getting things done his way and you don't cross him. He looks like Tony Soprano.
ashfire

Return to General Entertainment