College Football 06!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby termyt » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:49 am

I think it came down to two things in the minds of those who actually get to vote in the poles:

1) Michigan played a great game. There is no shame in loosing to the number one team in their own house by only three points. I don't think anyone wanted to punish Michigan for playing so well in the game. If anything, they proved they were the second best team. I doubt many out side of Ann Arbor want to actually see a rematch, but USC had to beat Notre Dame before they could make an bid for the National Title, so why not wait a week before deciding?

2) USC still needed to prove themselves a little bit. The rankings made the distance between Michigan and USC very close - basically hinging on UM's significantly more difficult schedule. Everyone knew that USC's bid hinged on the Notre Dame game well before the OSU-Michigan game was ever played, anyways, so why not wait until that game played out and let Michigan fans know that their team's accomplishments this season will not be routinely dismissed?

And USC made a statement alright. Man, did they handle UND, and have rightly taken their spot as #2.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Peanut » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:11 pm

I agree with what you said about earning the #2 spot...but I am still very skeptical of USC (I have been for quite some time now). I honestly think they are a little overrated, but they can easily prove me wrong by winning a BCS bowl game against a good quality opponent.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:23 pm

USC maybe overate a bit, but I think Mich and Fla are more overated then they are.

I thought that USC would lost at least one of these games in the past four weeks, but they haven't.

I know they still have UCLA, but I just don't want to see a title game of OSU vs Mich.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:18 am

Peanut wrote:I agree with what you said about earning the #2 spot...but I am still very skeptical of USC (I have been for quite some time now). I honestly think they are a little overrated, but they can easily prove me wrong by winning a BCS bowl game against a good quality opponent.

How's OSU for a qualtiy opponent sound?

To be honest, I think Michigan and OSU were in a class all their own this year. If USC beats OSU, it will be the largest upset since, well, OSU beat Miami.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:42 am

I cant wait for the Nebraska Huskers-Vs-Oklahoma Sooners game this saterday I Live in Nebraska but Im a sooners fan so When i walk into the colledge lounge I ll be the only sooners hat admist a sea of Huskers.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Peanut » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:15 pm

termyt wrote:How's OSU for a qualtiy opponent sound?

To be honest, I think Michigan and OSU were in a class all their own this year. If USC beats OSU, it will be the largest upset since, well, OSU beat Miami.

Honestly any of the teams in the top ten now would probably do outside of ND (they are overrated no matter what anyone says). I agree about OSU and Michigan being in a class of their own and that sort of hurts to say because I honestly think WVU and most of the teams in the top 10 could match up very well against both of these teams in certain aspects of the game. But overall, Michigan and OSU are much better teams. They have incredible defenses and offenses...enough said...

Mi-Ru-Me wrote:I cant wait for the Nebraska Huskers-Vs-Oklahoma Sooners game this saterday I Live in Nebraska but Im a sooners fan so When i walk into the colledge lounge I ll be the only sooners hat admist a sea of Huskers.

I sort of know how that feels, I'm a WVU fan living in Maryland...so yeah...it's fun...

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:37 pm

Peanut wrote:They have incredible defenses and offenses...enough said...

I disagree with one part of that. I do agree that OSU is a very good football team and Mich is not bad.

The only problem that I have is, Mich was playing catch up the whole time in the OSU game. OSU does have a good offense and defense as well as Mich does. But to say they have an incredible defense is something that I can't agree with.

I feel there teams that have better defenses then what OSU and Mich have.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:50 pm

Eh...I'm not sure about that...WVU's defense last year wasn't that great and yet for the first quarter and part of the second they held Georgia scorless and by the end they managed to score 38 points (and you have to remeber, with WVU, you should know what to expect almost every play of the game). OSU and Michigan have better defenses this year then WVU had last year so I think their defense would cut it. Plus, at least OSU's D seems to be quite fast and it might be fast enough to keep up with Slaton and White (something Georgia was unable to do). I do admit that I probably shouldn't of used the word incredible to describe their defenses but what I am trying to say is out of all the teams in the top 10, they seem to be the most balanced and they seem to be playing they are for the most part consistent. With the SEC, that is something I haven't really seen too much and all that really shows is that it is simply the most competitive conference in College Football.

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Peanut wrote:Eh...I'm not sure about that...WVU's defense last year wasn't that great and yet for the first quarter and part of the second they held Georgia scorless and by the end they managed to score 38 points (and you have to remeber, with WVU, you should know what to expect almost every play of the game). OSU and Michigan have better defenses this year then WVU had last year so I think their defense would cut it. Plus, at least OSU's D seems to be quite fast and it might be fast enough to keep up with Slaton and White (something Georgia was unable to do). I do admit that I probably shouldn't of used the word incredible to describe their defenses but what I am trying to say is out of all the teams in the top 10, they seem to be the most balanced and they seem to be playing they are for the most part consistent. With the SEC, that is something I haven't really seen too much and all that really shows is that it is simply the most competitive conference in College Football.

One one thing that I can say is, Ga defense was a hit and miss last year as they were this year. One thing is, the SEC does have problems stoping teams that play spread and the flexbone for some reason. But Mayer's system is something that the SEC defenses can stop, but no one could in the MWC.

And yes, the SEC defenses have been a hit and miss this year. The only two have really done well, was LSU and Ark.

But if OSU is the most balanced, then why are they not the #1 defense in the country right now.

More of a shock is that OSU is only in the top 10 in a few team statistics. Mich is #1 in Rushing Defense this year.

BTW: I'm not saying that OSU or Mich is bad. But I just feel they are a little bit overated.

Then again, I think Fla is overated at the sametime too.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Wingzero22 wrote:BTW: I'm not saying that OSU or Mich is bad. But I just feel they are a little bit overated.

Then again, I think Fla is overated at the sametime too.

I think that could be said for a lot of teams this year and most years of College Football. I don't really think OSU and Mich are that overrated though. Sure, they are talked about a lot but that's what happen when both of your teams are undefeated, ranked #1 and #2 heading into a head to head game late in the season which later on is recognized as one of the better if not best game in College Football this year. So, I think they deserve the talk they are getting. As for OSU's rankings in the defensive categories, that really doesn't matter too much. When I said OSU is the most balanced team I meant that they were balanced and nothing more. This doesn't mean they excel at one aspect of the game but are good at every aspect (something which my Mountaineers and many of the SEC teams can't say). They also tend to be good at every aspect every week with only a few exceptions but when they do have an off week...they still win (unlike another team which was a little too sleepy this last saturday...grrr....)

Florida...well...they have no offense...so yeah, they are REALLY overrated.

Now here's a question I just thought of. Whose the most underrated College Football team?

I think it is South Florida and I'm not just saying this because they beat my Mountaineers. They get no publicity's outside of when they beat a team like WVU or Louisville. They are 8-4 in a division with a BCS bid and this is only their tenth year in existance as a program. To me, that deserves at least some of the media's attention outside of when they upset a big name team.

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:23 pm

Peanut wrote: ranked #1 and #2 heading into a head to head game late in the season which later on is recognized as one of the better if not best game in College Football this year.

Really, I felt that game was nothing but hype. It was not a back and forth game, it was just Mich catching up. I know people have talk about this being one of the better games this year, but I can two games that have been better. Sadly, the only way to have seen them was have epsn gameplan, but I watch those games and they were alot better then the OSU vs Mich.

Florida...well...they have no offense...so yeah, they are REALLY overrated.

Yeah, the problem with them is no running game and I still think Leak is an overated QB. Tobow or whatever his name is a better QB and if they would put him in and not Leak, they would look alot better on offense.

Now here's a question I just thought of. Whose the most underrated College Football team?

South Florida is one team. I think Hawaii and Wake Forest are underrated.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 pm

South Florida? One Time? THEY'VE BEEN DOING THIS THE PAST FEW YEARS!!!! In their ten year history they have only had two losing seasons!! During their short history they have beaten Louisville twice (2003 when Lousiville went 9-4 and last year against a Louisvilled team which was supposed to roll through the Big East), Pittsburg twice (including a year where they went 7-5 with a bowl game win), they beat WVU this year and they lost to last years Penn State team by 10 points. I honestly think that this team is going to become one of the premier powers in the Big East, they have the location and if they keep doing what they have been doing they will be able to get good players on their team. I agree with you about Hawaii and Wake Forest though.

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:19 pm

error on my part, not one time. But one team.

As they are underrated or have been for a one to two years now.

And you don't have to use caps, I can read what you said just fine.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:57 am

Wingzero22 wrote:Really, I felt that game was nothing but hype. It was not a back and forth game, it was just Mich catching up. I know people have talk about this being one of the better games this year, but I can two games that have been better. Sadly, the only way to have seen them was have epsn gameplan, but I watch those games and they were alot better then the OSU vs Mich.

The game's final was not secure until there were only 25 seconds left on the clock. Michigan outscroed OSU 32-21 in the second half - a half as full of emotion and great plays from both squads as you will see anywhere. Does the lead have to change a dozen times for the game to be closely contested? I'm sure I don't know that it was the best game of the year, but it was pretty darn good.

I can understand a negative reaction to the hype, though, for those who don't care as much about the Big Ten.

Wake Forest was definitely a surprise. I'm really not sure how to gauge under and over ratedness. To a degree, you can always make an argument for every team in the top 25 for being both over and under rated.
termyt

Postby termyt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:00 pm

Pick'ems over, by the way.

I know there are still picks this week, but with only 8 games to pick, this week will not affect the scores of the top four players.

The top three will finish thusly:
Genma in first place with 199
Termyt in second with 197
Peanut third with 196

Curses! In the end, the week I missed likely cost me at least a share of the title. I figured I would have scored 14-15, giving me two or three more points in the final score.
termyt

Postby Peanut » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:08 pm

Yeah but hey, it's been fun...hopefully Yahoo will have a College Bowl Game Pick Em as well so we can continue this fun into the "play offs" of College Football...

Peanut

Postby termyt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:29 am

Yeah - I had a great time. Thanks for organizing the league , Peanut, and congratulations to Genma.
termyt

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 am

Hah... I so failed...I didn't do any picking for the last five weeks or something like that.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:24 pm

So did anyone pick Oregon State to beat Oregon in last week's Civil War?
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:47 pm

well, the UCLA Bruins are taking on the USC Trojans today. heh heh. should be intersting. XD. anyways, my brother went to UCLA so i guess i'm rooting for the Bruins. dunno if there's much hope though...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:52 pm

termyt wrote:I can understand a negative reaction to the hype, though, for those who don't care as much about the Big Ten.

Well, I don't have that I don't care about the Big Ten. College and high school football is big for me. I try to watch just about every college football game that comes on TV.

I just felt that the OSU vs Mich game was good, but I felt that it was over hype.

But now, If OSU plays Fla. I'm pulling for OSU just cause I will never pull for Fla, ever!

So did anyone pick Oregon State to beat Oregon in last week's Civil War?

They were not on the list last week. Teams have to be in the Top 25 to be pick.

Now this week, since Hawaii is #25. The Hawaii vs Oregon St is on the list. But I pick Hawaii.

well, the UCLA Bruins are taking on the USC Trojans today. heh heh. should be intersting. XD. anyways, my brother went to UCLA so i guess i'm rooting for the Bruins. dunno if there's much hope though..

Well, they won 13 to 9 and WVU is getting beat.

And how did Fla come up with an offence today? :shady:

Another underrate team is Navy.

Sure, they couldn't beat a heavy weight team, but they are pretty good for a school that is not really made for sports.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby silverSky » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:07 pm

all I have to say is .....................GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^
Jhn 1: 1-5 KJ

1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2) The same was in the beginning with God.
3) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4) In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5) And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Psalm 115: 105-106 OKJ

105) Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
106) I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgements.

Psalm 91:1-2

1) He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty
2) I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
silverSky

Postby Peanut » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:45 pm

Well...I just finished watching a game that was as good if not better then OSU-Michigan. I'm sure you guys will figure out what game it was...it's not hard...and yeah, I'm so happy right now...I can't say anything more :sweat: .

Peanut

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:41 pm

wow. i can't believe it. UCLA beat USC!!! i still can't believe it!

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:42 pm

Watching the Hawaii vs Oregon St game.

Oregon St for now is shuting down Hawaii on offense.

jon_jinn wrote:wow. i can't believe it. UCLA beat USC!!! i still can't believe it!

When it comes to rival games, you can throw out the record books. I just thought that USC would find a way to win it and that's why I pick them. But I felt that that UCLA could give them problems, but I didn't think they would shut USC down like they did.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Wingzero22 wrote:When it comes to rival games, you can throw out the record books. I just thought that USC would find a way to win it and that's why I pick them. But I felt that that UCLA could give them problems, but I didn't think they would shut USC down like they did.

Wingzero22

yeah. my brother was screaming like crazy during the entire game. he didn't leave the family room couch once during the game.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:48 pm

Forget UCLA vs.USC the big game yesterday was Army vs. Navy.Navy sank Army for about the sixth straight year in a row 26-14.
Basically I think the Army/Navy game is THE college football game of the year except for the Rose Bowl.
mitsuki lover

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:09 pm

Booyah for the USC UCLA game being an upset, and being one of the most talked about games on the west coast.

Honestly though USC lost because for some reason (unknown at this time) they called almost ALL RUNNING PLAYS. They're a PASSING team. So sad to see them mess that up. Oh well... now two of my friends have to march the Rose Parade two years in a row... XD

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Peanut » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:58 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Forget UCLA vs.USC the big game yesterday was Army vs. Navy.Navy sank Army for about the sixth straight year in a row 26-14.
Basically I think the Army/Navy game is THE college football game of the year except for the Rose Bowl.

I have to disagree with you this year about the Army/Navy game being THE college football game of the year (well...at least this year). Is it a great game to see live (and by live I mean live...not sitting on a couch with the TV remote in one hand and the other in a bag of chips while the game plays out for you on the the TV...I mean live as in sitting in the bleachers live...anyway...) but it was clear who was going to win this game before it was ever played. And games like that don't really interest me too much. Anyway, yeah, UCLA vs. USC wasn't the big game yesterday. I alluded to this last night and now that I have calmed down I will avoid all allusions and state that the WVU vs. Rutgers game was simply the best game yesterday and possibly the best game this year. Right from the very beginning the drama was amazing as all the viewers and the commentators noticed that Pat White wasn't WVU's starting quarterback! Instead, we had to rely on Pat White's backup Jarret Brown, who might of just knocked last years starter Adam Bendarik out of his newly acquired job as Pat White's back up thanks to the performance he had. Both Rice and Slaton had solid games. Both teams played hard and neither one was really ever able to finish the other team off before the 3rd overtime...oh and for what seems like the first time this year, WVU's secondary actually stepped up and made some good plays, most noticeably the play they made on the last play of the game. Oh, and that's another great thing about last nights game...it came down to the very last play.

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:43 pm

Army did play well over Navy for most of the half. The USC vs UCLA game was good and the WVU game was the better one.

I just wish WVU was playing a better team in the bowl that they are going to. They are going to blow out Georgia Tech.

mechana2015 wrote:Honestly though USC lost because for some reason (unknown at this time) they called almost ALL RUNNING PLAYS. They're a PASSING team. So sad to see them mess that up.

You would think they would know that. USC look like they didn't have a game plan at all. But UCLA defence really played well and that help.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment