Star Trek Polls Part III: Deep Space 9

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Star Trek Polls Part III: Deep Space 9

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:07 am

Deep Space Nine was the first Star Trek show I didn't finish. When Dax became a man, I quit watching. This was the first Trek show to go downhill for me. And those taboos it broke. I hate when TV kowtows to agendas.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:17 pm

Hnh.. as I remember Dax went from being Jadzia to being Ezri and last I looked
Nicole Deboer is not a guy!
And in any case Dax was in a male host BEFORE it was placed inside Jadzia.
Remember Kurzon Dax?
In any case I voted for Kira.She's tough!That and watching Nana Visitor play
her Mirror Universe alter ego The Indentant was a blast!
mitsuki lover

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:35 pm

Yes Mitzuki Lover is right....

you must be thinking of that one Trill custom/festival/whatever where something is done to have the experiences of the symbiote or whatever go inside the friends of the host. Or maybe the one where she was having issues with the previous host that was the serial killer that was never meant to be a host.
Psycho Molos

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:59 pm

My vote goes to Sisko, because we were WELL overdue for a black captain! I love the episode "In The Pale Moonlight"...it rocks!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Now if we were voting on Captains I would agree.I think of the five series the three best were Kirk,Sisko and Janeway.
Plus Sisko would get extra credit points for being the ONLY Starfleet captain to figure out how to get rid of Q:YOU SIMPLY BEAT THE BEJABBERS OUT OF HIM WITH A GOOD LEFT/RIGHT COMBO!
mitsuki lover

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:06 pm

Sisko also had this cool, deep,voice that quite literally quivered with powwa (Not "power", "POWWA!!") Especially when he got mad--

I'm reminded of that scene between Sisko and Eddington on the bridge of the Defiant in the episode "For The Uniform"...that scene is classic! Sisko sitting on the bridge, playing the "bad guy"...that's powwa!!!!

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:21 pm

Did you know that he taught Jazz music in real life?Yep,Avery Brooks taught Jazz.
Of course it didn't hurt that in an early acting incarnation he played Hawk on
Spencer For Hire and A Man Named Hawk.So that's why he could come across as having so much POWWA!

The reason why I liked Kira is she was another strong character.The early episodes when she and Sisko used to clash a lot were also really fun because you never knew which one of them was gonna give up.It was like watching a bull and
a she bear fighting it out.
mitsuki lover

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:34 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:The early episodes when she and Sisko used to clash a lot were also really fun because you never knew which one of them was gonna give up.It was like watching a bull and
a she bear fighting it out.

Yeah, they did have that kind of tension...almost like "Moonlighting" or something...except in the case of "Will they, or won't they." they didn't!

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby silverSky » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:52 pm

I like Captain Sisko he is my second favorite captian the first being Picard. I loved Picard because he was just... well different, and I like that he loved to read literature and sipped Earl Grey Tea. He was great captian.

Not only was Sisko tough he had a soft romantic side as well. He like to cook and was a wonderful father and leader. Those touching scene with his were beautiful. I found it interesting he was the only captian who was raising a kid while on Duty.
Yeah I know Kirk had son but he had little interact with him and did not raised him. In fact he didn't meet him until he was grown man.

silverSky
silverSky

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:27 pm

Too bad Morn wasn't listed.He was probably the most important non-speaking non-main character they ever had on Star Trek.From what little we know of him he was:
*A big elbow bender who loved to gab
*An even bigger drinker
*Quark's favorite customer,even to the point where Quark made a rule of acquisition up about how when Morn doesn't show up you know it's time to quit buisness
*A smuggler
*Smarter than Quark(Hey in Who Mourns For Morn he even managed to convince everyone he was dead)
*A bit of a ladies 'man'
That and the fact that his name was a tribute to George Wendt's beer loving character on Cheers.
mitsuki lover

Postby silverSky » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:58 pm

Lol I remember Morn, what he only fake his death! O_o

silverSky
silverSky

Postby PrincessZelda » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:16 pm

rocklobster wrote:Deep Space Nine was the first Star Trek show I didn't finish. When Dax became a man, I quit watching. This was the first Trek show to go downhill for me. And those taboos it broke. I hate when TV kowtows to agendas.

Dax never became a man... O_o

And, in the poll, which Dax are you talking about? XD
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Alice » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:21 pm

Sisko was a good captain, with a cool deep voice, but my favorite character was definitely Odo. I have a certain loyalty for any angsty shape-shifter. <3
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby EireWolf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:09 pm

I voted for Dax. I liked both the Dax characters, Jadzia and Ezri. (Of course there were several more Daxes, but only those 2 were regular characters.)

Rocklobster, you must not have watched much of the show at all. The Dax symbiont is neither male nor female, but gets transferred to a new Trill host when the old Trill host dies. So "Dax" was Curzon Dax, and then Curzon died. (That's why Captain Sisko calls Dax "old man" -- he was good friends with Curzon Dax.) Dax was transferred to a new host, Jadzia. Then Ezri. Dax had a total of 10 hosts, but never "became a man" during the course of the show. The gender of the Trill host really doesn't matter to the symbiont. It might seem like a "taboo" thing, but if you think about the "science" behind it, it really isn't. I found it very interesting.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:08 am

Odo, because he's a shapeshifter... That's always been my favorite branch of mythical creatures. Deep Space Nine was my favorite of the the Star Trek shows. Very underrated. Also had a decent game attatched to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby silverSky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:24 am

Yes the symbiont itself is asexual, its the host that determines the sexual nature of Dax. I always found the symbiont very interesting but in all honesty every single character on Deep Space 9 was just interesting, complex, and unique with great story lines. There was not one character I didn't like or found annoying on Deep Space 9.

silverSky
silverSky

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:10 pm

EireWolf wrote:I voted for Dax. I liked both the Dax characters, Jadzia and Ezri. (Of course there were several more Daxes, but only those 2 were regular characters.)

Rocklobster, you must not have watched much of the show at all. The Dax symbiont is neither male nor female, but gets transferred to a new Trill host when the old Trill host dies. So "Dax" was Curzon Dax, and then Curzon died. (That's why Captain Sisko calls Dax "old man" -- he was good friends with Curzon Dax.) Dax was transferred to a new host, Jadzia. Then Ezri. Dax had a total of 10 hosts, but never "became a man" during the course of the show. The gender of the Trill host really doesn't matter to the symbiont. It might seem like a "taboo" thing, but if you think about the "science" behind it, it really isn't. I found it very interesting.

I just didn't like the new host. That's why I had the problem with it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby silverSky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Actually I have to correct myself I wasn't really impress with Ezri Dax (in fact I forgot about her), she wasn"t a very strong character, and couldn't really fill in Jadzia's shoes. Not that she was suppose, at least I think that was what the writers had in mind. There was a time when Garen or Garek went off on her, telling her that she could never be Jadzia that she was just some person pretending to be her, and stop it because she was just pissing him off. Basically I think he was kind of saying what some of the fans were thinking.

But in all fairness I think a lot of fans, myself included, were just plain hurt and bitter in the lose of Jadzia because she was really such a great character. Then some kid came and thought she could be Jadzia Dax. However now I think about it more about I kind of see where the writers were getting at. She was no longer Jadzia Dax nor was she suppose to be. She was Ezri Dax a new person and Ezri had to accept she may have Jadzia memories but she was not Jadzia. Plus Ezri was a rush decision, I don't believe she was train to be host, so she really had to learn to new entity, to be Dax. All in all, I think Ezri was underdevelop character if the season continue for a few more years I might have learn to like her or at least be neutral towards her.

Hmmm I wondering if I'm even making sense. '~'

silverSky
silverSky

Postby EireWolf » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:25 pm

The writers of DS9 didn't intend to write Jadzia out of the storyline. Terry Farrell declined to renew her contract.

After six seasons on DS9, Farrell was presented with the chance to join the Paramount comedy sitcom Becker. Instead of renewing her original contract for DS9 for one more season, she left and joined the cast of Becker in 1998 where she stayed for four years playing the character of Reggie Costas. There were many rumors as to why Farrell left DS9; some believed she wanted more money, there were differences with producers, or she had arguments with fellow cast members.

After leaving Deep Space Nine, Farrell stated that, if asked, she would love to return to Star Trek to play Jadzia as a clone, Jadzia from another universe or a hologram. She also stated she grew greatly from playing Dax and that she wouldn't change a second of her time with Star Trek.

Source: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Terry_Farrell
EireWolf

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:15 am

EireWolf wrote:The writers of DS9 didn't intend to write Jadzia out of the storyline. Terry Farrell declined to renew her contract.

Source: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Terry_Farrell

Ah, I see. It was another Denise Crosby/Tasha Yar thing. :shake:

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby silverSky » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:13 am

I know that Farrell left the show by her own choice, its just that I was still bitter and sad about her lost.

silverSky
silverSky

Postby EireWolf » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:03 pm

I was too. Jadzia rocked.
EireWolf

Postby termyt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:01 pm

My vote goes to Sisko. Easily the most entertaining and well played of the Star Trek captains. Avery Brooks is one of my favorite actors.

I also really liked the changes Ezri Dax brought to the series. She freshened up the show quite a bit in the last season.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Return to General Entertainment