Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Joshua Christopher » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:16 pm

Sparrowhawk wrote:I love satire. I love comedy. I hate Borat. Why? Because you can satirize, even offending people, without being vulgar. If people are offended because it points out something they don't like, its great. But Borat does not do that. Many of these problems are already known and joked about in America. So it was not the satire that is so offensive (even tho I would understand someone from Khazakstan being offended by the satire), but rather the vulgarity. Vulgarity is not funny.

Well, that's your opinion, and that's fine. I disagree, but if you're trying to say every single Borat joke is vulgar, that's not true.

Borat: [to American Audience] We support your war of terror.

Borat: What kind of dog is this?
Zookeeper: It's a tortoise.
Borat: Is it a cat in a hat?
Zookeeper: No... it's a tortoise in a shell.

Borat: What's up, vanilla face?

Borat: [referring in thought to woman speaking in feminism group] I could not concentrate on what this old man was saying.

Borat: [voiceover, referring to Azamat in Oliver Hardy outfit] I did not come to California to fight with a man dressed as Hitler.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Sparrowhawk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:41 pm

Oh, I know not every joke is vulgar. Sry I came across that condemning. Some things in Borat disturb me and I came out too harsh. Sorry. I admit that not everything in it is nasty.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Ingemar » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:43 pm

I saw it--

In addition to be a satire, it is one of the most visceral gross-out fests you could ever see.

Yes, I am referring to the nude male wrestling.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:37 pm

btw:Check out the latest issue of U.S.News And World Report on page 38 they have an item about a terrorist who was nabbed in Britian whose name was,and as
Dave Berry would say I kid you not on this,BAROT!They had to put the headline,
The Name Is Barot,Not Borat.No Joke above it so that people reading it wouldn't think it was about Cohen's character.
mitsuki lover

Postby memmer66 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:05 pm

It's like the American Pie movies (and all the other movies of THAT sort), just because it's funny doesn't mean we should watch it.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Needle Noggin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:36 am

o rly?
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby beau99 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:33 am

memmer66 wrote:It's like the American Pie movies (and all the other movies of THAT sort), just because it's funny doesn't mean we should watch it.

Please tell me you didn't just compare Borat to those smutfest American Pie movies.
beau99

Postby Nate » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:45 am

If someone likes this movie, it doesn't make them a bad Christian.

If someone doesn't like this movie, it doesn't mean they don't have a sense of humor.

That is all.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:13 pm

beau99 wrote:The Kazakh government in this case is stupid. They don't get that the whole movie was made for shock value.

Well that certainly was a close minded statement. In what ways are they stupid? Shock value? Yeah right. There's a difference between "shock value" and stereotyping. I wouldn't really enjoy a movie that stereotypes or degrades Korean people, as I am Korean. (Crank being one of them, thought it wasn't too big)

Seriously, if there was a foreign movie that made Americans look like "fat rednecks who ate nothing but mcdonalds everyday" and was released in the US, people wouldn't be too happy.

I'm going to skip out on this one. While it may be satirical, (I like satire) it looks like it's done very amateurishly. A good satire would be something that is subtle. Besides, it doesn't look humorous in any sort way, shape, or form.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby beau99 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:03 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Seriously, if there was a foreign movie that made Americans look like "fat rednecks who ate nothing but mcdonalds everyday" and was released in the US, people wouldn't be too happy.

Actually I'd love it if a movie like that were made.

I'm from an area of the USA where they really are fat rednecks who eat nothing but McDonald's. I'm glad I moved away from there.
beau99

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:00 pm

I think it isn't the satire that people are against,it's the gross out factor that Cohen
adds to it.You can have satire without grossing people out and you can gross people out without being anywhere satirical.
btw:I suggest when talking about the movie we keep in mind that Borat is just a
character played by Cohen,I think we can get carried away and forget that fact,just like a lot of people in the film did.
mitsuki lover

Postby beau99 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:41 pm

I saw Borat tonight.

Other than the nude wrestling scene, I laughed so hard I nearly had a stroke.

THAT's how comedies should be made.
beau99

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Too bad Andy Kauffman isn't alive.I bet they could have made a lot more money if
Cohen and Kauffman wrestled each other in character,Cohen as Borat and Kauffman as Latka from TAXI.
mitsuki lover

Postby toolegit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:51 pm

Kazakhstan’s premier cultural ambassador — who may or may not be Sacha Baron Cohen — dishes on the hottest in Uzbek prostitutes.

Is it hot in here, or is it just you?
It is a nice temperatures. I am very comfy. It is great honor to be in a room with a chairs and windows made from glass.

[Links snipped. Please see our FAQ if you have questions about why they were snipped. -ShatterheartArk]
Blueberry Pancakes make my mornings!
toolegit

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:55 pm

Er...that isn't really CAA appropriate... >.>

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby beau99 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:30 pm

We might have a troll on our hands here.
beau99

Postby Stephen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:57 pm

Anyway. Moving on.
Stephen

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:23 pm

A couple of the guys who were in it are now trying to sue Cohen because they claim that he fooled them into making anti-Semitic and Racist remarks that do not really represent how they feel.
mitsuki lover

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:31 pm

Seen some of the villagers there asked for a huge sum of money becaused they thinked they where fooled to look like prostitutes, theives and such on the movie.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:33 pm

Wait, was this movie a fake "reality" movie where only the crew and actor were in on it? Like a candid camera movie, almost... That would explain the way the people acted in the trailers I saw... Actually, that's a really good concept... I need to plagiarize it. And do it WITHOUT naked wrestling men.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:59 pm

Yes, only the crew and Borat's character were in on it. The concept is great, but with all the crud added I wouldn't watch it.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby dyzzispell » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:27 pm

What has our world come to, when these are the sorts of things people pay to see? Why would I want to see naked men wrestling? How would such a thing reflect Christ in me? How would that glorify God?
As followers of Christ, we are to stand out from the crowd, as going against the flow, not mingling right in with it. Maybe we really don't know the words of Jesus anymore, or the rest of the Bible for that matter.
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29 (as just one example)
Just because it doesn't affect us ( or so we think), doesn't mean we should still watch it.
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby Needle Noggin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:50 pm

lol
Go young wildebeest
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:52 pm

I didn't say I would see it mate.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Stephen » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:04 pm

How about we leave it up to peoples personal convictions to watch or not watch? Considering that most people who bash others for what they watch or listen to...listen and watch things that are not perfect....I would say we should leave it up to a persons personal convictions. Way too many glass houses for a stone fight today.
Stephen

Postby Needle Noggin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:43 pm

My house is made from cardboard.
Go young wildebeest
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:35 pm

I live in a padded room!
mitsuki lover

Postby beau99 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:51 am

ShatterheartArk wrote:How about we leave it up to peoples personal convictions to watch or not watch? Considering that most people who bash others for what they watch or listen to...listen and watch things that are not perfect....I would say we should leave it up to a persons personal convictions. Way too many glass houses for a stone fight today.

You said it.

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Yes, only the crew and Borat's character were in on it. The concept is great, but with all the crud added I wouldn't watch it.

Pam Anderson was also in on it.
beau99

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 am

beau99 wrote:Pam Anderson was also in on it.

Pam Anderson = Crud :P So that affirms what W4J said.
Mr. SmartyPants

Previous

Return to General Entertainment