Battle Royale

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Battle Royale

Postby memmer66 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:14 pm

Who all has seen this movie? My personal favorite movie EVER (alongside Spirited Away I can't decide which 1 I like better so I don't try no more).
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Needle Noggin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:38 am

memmer66 wrote:Who all has seen this movie? My personal favorite movie EVER (alongside Spirited Away I can't decide which 1 I like better so I don't try no more).

I love this movie, but really how is this not "worse" that Borat? I think graphic depictions of death are worse than some bad language.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby meboeck » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:19 am

Needle Noggin wrote:I love this movie, but really how is this not "worse" that Borat? I think graphic depictions of death are worse than some bad language.

First of all, let's not go spreading debates from one thread to another. Second, you said "I think," which means it is only your opinion. I know there are many people who do not feel the way you do.

That being said, hopefully the rest of this thread will actually focus on Battle Royale. I think it's a very well-done movie, and it really makes you think. The part that had the most effect for me was when

[spoiler]The one girl in the lighthouse used the poison and then all the other girls ended up dying because of her. And then when they all said she was the only innocent one out of the group she just couldn't hanlde it.[/spoiler]

Things like that really bring out the selfish nature of the human being. It's very violent, but it's done in a non-realistic way. For people who don't like violence, it's not a good movie, but for everyone else, I would recommend it.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:35 pm

Battle Royale was an interesting movie. It's pretty good, with some good acting. And of course, it has Takashi Kitano in it!

But in no way is it one of the best asian movies out there.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby meboeck » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:06 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:But in no way is it one of the best Asian movies out there.

I do have to agree with that. I am learning from MSP just how many excellent Asian movies there are.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby memmer66 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:27 pm

It's my personal favorite movie. Thats my opinion.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:58 pm

memmer66 wrote:It's my personal favorite movie. Thats my opinion.

=p Can I recommend you some more asian movies? (Especially Korean ones) I am sure you will really enjoy them. I'm an asian movie buff myself. (Well, besides the fact that I am asian XD)

For starters, check out Joint Security Area (Or JSA for short) It's an incredibly well done, and masterful tale of brotherhood and friendship. It's pretty emotional too.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby memmer66 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:34 pm

Sure! :) Here's a list of Asian Movies (not including anime) that I've seen:

Battle Royale
Battle Royale 2: Innocence
A Tale of Two Sisters
Ichi The Killer
Audition
Suicide Club (or Suicide Circle whatever floats your boat)
2LDK
Moon Child
Ju-On: The Grudge
Ju-On: The Curse (original before any other ones)
Dark Water
Ringu
Shikoku
Kung-Fu Hustle (it's Chinese)
memmer66

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:52 pm

memmer66 wrote:Sure! :) Here's a list of Asian Movies (not including anime) that I've seen:

Battle Royale
A Tale of Two Sisters
Ichi The Killer
Audition
2LDK
Moon Child
Dark Water
Ringu
Shikoku

i'm very inexperienced at watching asian movies but i would like to suggest that you try shoalin soccer. that's one of my favorite asian movies and the director is stephen chow (director of kung-fu hustle).
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Rocketshipper » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:01 pm

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=10027&highlight=Battle+Royale

there is already a topic about this movie, and a couple others about the manga and book as well.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:39 am

memmer66 wrote:Sure! :) Here's a list of Asian Movies (not including anime) that I've seen:

Battle Royale
A Tale of Two Sisters
Ichi The Killer
Audition
2LDK
Moon Child
Dark Water
Ringu
Shikoku

Wow... you're a horror fan? Lol I am not a fan of horror. Battle Royale 2 stank. Ichi the killer looks interesting. I'm told by some people that a tale of two sisters is INCREDIBLY scary. Dark Water looks quite interesting as well. Oh and yes, Kung-Fu Hustle is pretty good.

Here's my list. Click the underlined titles to view the trailers.
Oldboy (one of the best movies PERIOD)
Lady Vengeance (another one of the best korean movies)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Joint Security Area
Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War
A Bittersweet Life
Save the green planet!
Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa film)
Battle Royale I and II
Infernal Affairs (An EXCELLENT crime drama. Features Andy Lau! There is a well-done remake of this movie that came out this year called "The Departed")
Volcano High (Don't bother. It's pretty dumb)
Attack the Gas Station
A Funny Movie (A Parody of a lot of recent Korean films. VERY Funny if you watch a lot of korean movies)
Swiri
Memories of Murder (Excellent korean police drama)
Peppermint Candy (One of my favorite movies)
Running out of Time (Also with Andy Lau)
Hero
The Host (EXTREMELY well done Korean Monster movie. Just came out this year)
Rocketshipper wrote:http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=10027&highlight=Battle+Royale

there is already a topic about this movie, and a couple others about the manga and book as well.

Yeah, but that thread is waaaay back since 2004. Not worth gravedigging.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby memmer66 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:53 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Wow... you're a horror fan? Lol I am not a fan of horror. Battle Royale 2 stank. Ichi the killer looks interesting. I'm told by some people that a tale of two sisters is INCREDIBLY scary. Dark Water looks quite interesting as well. Oh and yes, Kung-Fu Hustle is pretty good.

Here's my list. Click the underlined titles to view the trailers.
Oldboy (one of the best movies PERIOD)
Lady Vengeance (another one of the best korean movies)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Joint Security Area
Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War
A Bittersweet Life
Save the green planet!
Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa film)
Battle Royale I and II
Infernal Affairs (An EXCELLENT crime drama. Features Andy Lau! There is a well-done remake of this movie that came out this year called "The Departed")
Volcano High (Don't bother. It's pretty dumb)
Attack the Gas Station
A Funny Movie (A Parody of a lot of recent Korean films. VERY Funny if you watch a lot of korean movies)
Swiri
Memories of Murder (Excellent korean police drama)
Peppermint Candy (One of my favorite movies)
Running out of Time (Also with Andy Lau)
Hero
The Host (EXTREMELY well done Korean Monster movie. Just came out this year)

Yeah, but that thread is waaaay back since 2004. Not worth gravedigging.

A few of those I've been meaning to check out. Thanx for the list! Ichi The Killer was a VERY good movie but watch at your own risk. It has lots of sexual content (including rape) and MOUNDS of violence. The main reason BRII was so horrible was because we were expecting a movie like BR, what we got was BRII. It wasn't so horrible as just, bleh. A Tale of Two Sisters wasn't scary (but then again I don't get scared easily at all) but Dark Water did freak me out (try taking a **** after watching that movie!).
memmer66

Postby memmer66 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:54 pm

And yes I love horror movies!
memmer66

Postby memmer66 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:00 pm

And yes I love horror movies!
memmer66

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:49 pm

memmer66 wrote:And yes I love horror movies!

eh...you can edit your posts so you could've just put this with your other post.

memmer66 wrote:A few of those I've been meaning to check out. Thanx for the list! Ichi The Killer was a VERY good movie but watch at your own risk. It has lots of sexual content (including rape) and MOUNDS of violence. The main reason BRII was so horrible was because we were expecting a movie like BR, what we got was BRII. It wasn't so horrible as just, bleh. A Tale of Two Sisters wasn't scary (but then again I don't get scared easily at all) but Dark Water did freak me out (try taking a **** after watching that movie!).
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Return to General Entertainment