What does Adult swim REALLY think of Americans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

What does Adult swim REALLY think of Americans?

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:22 pm

Ok...maybe I am the only one who has noticed this...

(Possible RANT ALERT)

But I see the new "comedy" shows on Adult swim, and the main throught that comes to my head is, "Only idiots would watch this stuff."

I don't understand how poorly drawn cartoons with vulgar humor can sell so well! I mean what is wrong with america? Have we lost all our taste?

I apologize if some really enjoy some of the new comedies...but I forone just can't seem to get the point of a drug addict blue...blob? (12 Oz Mouse) or a poorly drawn green rat with guns.

I guess my main point, Does AS really think that most americans are idiots?

(Again, sorry for offending anyone.. I am really talking about the GENERAL masses... not pointing anyone out for liking these shows...^^; )

I guess it's just opinion really.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Stephen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:22 pm

I love Aqua Teen Hunger Force like a mother loves its child. I feel, that my life has more meaning...now that I understand Carl.
Stephen

Postby Kkun » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:23 pm

I don't know...Squidbillies is pretty darn funny. So is Metalocalypse.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Yumie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:56 pm

I'm with you CR, but I have a feeling (as has already been displayed rather clearly above) that most of your opposition will come from guys who are teenagers or in their early 20's. I think most of the humor is aimed at them, so, that's why we don't get it. :P
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Postby Swordguy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:32 pm

I don't know i don't like most of them. but i have never been much into that. however i do love Family Guy and Futurama....as long as they keep those on there i am good
I used to "Follow" Him because i had to....now i would give everything to follow Him.

Me check it out!

Quest for the True Grail

rei wrote:"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."

[quote="The forgoten"] .â€
Swordguy

Location: The Largest chunk of concrete these united states know.

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:38 pm

I don't care for most of the Adult Swim original comedy shows. The only ones that I like are Venture Bros, The Brak Show and Sealab 2021.

The Oblongs and Futurama are the only other comedy shows that I like on Adult Swim.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:49 pm

I am with you one hundred percent on this one, CR. I only watch the anime. If you want, I'll lend you my soapbox next time. ^_^ Tell them about it!
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby beau99 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:07 pm

I don't like most of the AS comedy shows myself.

And I'll probably get stoned for saying this, but I love Moral Orel.
beau99

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:35 am

Alot of the as shows I watch were taken off air a wile back such as home movies , Mission Hill, Baby blues. yet I still watch venture brothers robot chicken and sometimes harvey birdman , oh ya an the anime I quit watching futurama since its like the 82 showing of the show and that gets old after awile.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:58 am

I like SOME of what Adult Swim shows. Family Guy and Futurama are obviously great. I love Harvey Birdman as well. Aqua Teen is hit or miss, sometimes it's great to me, sometimes it's lame. I'm also occasionally fond of Boondocks.

But I feel the same way you do. Aside from those shows, I really don't like anything on Adult Swim, it just seems to be offensive rather than funny, but I guess that's what people want or they wouldn't keep showing it. I don't think Adult Swim is calling Americans stupid or anything, they just want ratings, and if these are the shows that get them those ratings, they're going to keep showing it.

It reminds me of that one commercial break where someone wrote to Adult Swim and said "How come you guys hate anime?" They then showed the rankings of the shows and most of the anime was at the bottom, and the screen said, "So in conclusion, Adult Swim doesn't hate anime...YOU hate anime."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Myoti » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:12 am

I haven't really watched many of those shows, so I'll probably just side with Nate on this.

Though honestly, the same thing can be said about media in general. Just look at alot of the stuff on regular CN and Nickelodeon. Camp Lazlo, Squirrel Boy, etc.; they may not be as 'vulgar' (usually...), but alot of these shows still gives off that same "who actually watches this stuff?" feeling.

As Nate said, it's about ratings, which is why you often find such networks suddenly creating several shows aimed at the same sort of demographic (of course, Japan is the same way; they just tend to make some of their stuff look... prettier? =p ).
Myoti

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:33 am

kaemmerite wrote:It reminds me of that one commercial break where someone wrote to Adult Swim and said "How come you guys hate anime?" They then showed the rankings of the shows and most of the anime was at the bottom, and the screen said, "So in conclusion, Adult Swim doesn't hate anime...YOU hate anime."

Hmm... I don't want Anime fandom in the US to get beyond a cult market, so I'm happy with this. Of course, I'd rather that better anime than the fanime AS shows would make it on the air (ok, so they've had a couple Gems like Cowboy bebop, which manages to be fanime that's actually good) but that was TechTV's territory... Lain, Boogiepop, CotS... Alas, poor Patrick, we knew him well...

Oh, and I actually prefer some of their american stuff to the Anime they show... Venture Brothers, for instance... ATHF is... Hit and miss... Brak Show was pure cannibinated goodness (no, I've never done it and I never will... Think of Brak as a drug-free alternative, haha) Space Ghost was... Well, it was sort of a less-funny ripoff of AlTV, but it had its moments, and I think Al and his good friend Emo phillips had both had moments on there... Then there are the imports... Family Guy, Mission Hill, and at times the oblongs... Yeah... Given their anime listings, the American side really wins on there...

I don't actually watch ANY of it anymore, though... I just wait for stuff to come out on DVD and get it on netflix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby agasfas » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:27 am

I like Family guy, Futurama and few animes they show but I wish they had more variation on the shows and genres adultswim airs. And for some reason, I could never get into Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex. so I really only watch like 3 shows.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:34 pm

I am another person who only watched the anime on AS.Without shows like Inuyasha,Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Complex and Neon Genesis Evangelion in the line up I would probably not even bother to watch AS at all.Or if I did the only show I would watch would be an occasional Futurama.Face it Futurama is the only comedy on AS that isn't crapful of crap.
Of course the reason why the 'comedies' are so popular is that they appeal to the sort of stupid person who thinks pro-wrestling is rea.
mitsuki lover

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:38 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Of course the reason why the 'comedies' are so popular is that they appeal to the sort of stupid person who thinks pro-wrestling is rea.

You wanna take that back there, pal? :shady:

Nate

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:43 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Of course the reason why the 'comedies' are so popular is that they appeal to the sort of stupid person who thinks pro-wrestling is rea.

I'm going to assume that you don't know many people who watch those shows. I happen to know three people with IQs over 145 that love Family Guy, Harvey Birdman, and Futurama.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby creed4 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:56 pm

I'm another that pretty much sticks to anime on adult swim
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:34 pm

I don't really watch Adult Swim anymore. They've started showing anime again on weeknights, which is okay I guess, but it's hard to just jump into a series, and I don't like dubs or edited versions anyway.

Anyway, back to the original topic...some of Adult Swim's comedy shows are funny, but most of them are pretty stupid. And just because they're showing that stuff...does that necessarily mean that people actually like those shows? I don't know anyone who likes 12 Oz. Mouse or those other really off-the-wall shows... Do they think Americans are stupid? Maybe so. The sad truth is, some Americans really are stupid. That's the nature of the human race. :P
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:12 pm

I agree with you on most of this. I never watch Adult Swim on purpose anymore (meaning I don't set aside a time to watch a certain show that comes on that channel, I just find things there from time to time). That's not really because I hate the channel or anything; it's mostly because I'm busy doing other things. XD I will watch Futurama when it comes on some days, and it can be funny. My brother loves Family Guy, and I will admit that I find the show funny when I'm not offended by it, but most of the other stuff on there is trash (mostly referring to the newer shows).
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Actually, I'm inclined to say they know Americans pretty well. Remember that the ratings are the ultimate rule of law: they wouldn't be showing it if people didn't like it. So I guess this could become a "What does uc really think of Americans?" but let's not go there.

ikimasu wrote:I'm going to assume that you don't know many people who watch those shows. I happen to know three people with IQs over 145 that love Family Guy, Harvey Birdman, and Futurama.

I'm not so sure he was referring to those shows. Futurama is fairly mainstream humor, and Family Guy is very witty in a way that happens to be somewhat unorthodox (I can't speak for Harvey Birdman, having never seen it). For the most part, I don't think anyone in this thread is objecting too much to these comedies.
uc pseudonym

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:41 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm not so sure he was referring to those shows. Futurama is fairly mainstream humor, and Family Guy is very witty in a way that happens to be somewhat unorthodox (I can't speak for Harvey Birdman, having never seen it). For the most part, I don't think anyone in this thread is objecting too much to these comedies.

As far as the thrad in general is concerned, yes. However, I thought that Mitsuki Lover was making a statement about all shows other than Futurama, although I may be mistaken.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:52 pm

ya I understand the ratings gig Thats the reason Adult Swim quit showing Case closed no one watched it so they quit showing it

I stand by the fact that they put the show on to late at night but they are the ones who make there rules.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Stephen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:27 pm

Of course the reason why the 'comedies' are so popular is that they appeal to the sort of stupid person who thinks pro-wrestling is rea.

Of course, anyone who finds somthing funny that you do not, must be stupid. Btw. You're post could use a few taps of the space bar.
Stephen

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:23 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:I don't know anyone who likes 12 Oz. Mouse or those other really off-the-wall shows...

When reason why 12 Oz Mouse is still on is, because its so cheap to make. They are really not losing any money by making eps of that show.

I think the same goes for Tom Goes to the Mayor.

I think TGTM is a up in the air as some like it and some hate it. But I heard that Williams Street got a bit of hate mail about TGTM that went out and made more eps.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54 am

I laughed my butt off to TGTM... But I also only watched one ep... I didnt' feel like it was worth continued watching... It was just a novelty that wore off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:52 am

wow...didn't think this would balloon to be such a big thread lol! Great comments

I totally forgot abou TGTM i am really disturbed by that show? ^^;

I guess I only watch AS for it's anime..but not necassarily for anime's sake! I like the anime they show...but I am not complaining because it's not doing as well in the ratings, i am complaining because of the sunday night thing.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:46 am

mitsuki lover wrote:I am another person who only watched the anime on AS.Without shows like Inuyasha,Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Complex and Neon Genesis Evangelion in the line up I would probably not even bother to watch AS at all.Or if I did the only show I would watch would be an occasional Futurama.Face it Futurama is the only comedy on AS that isn't crapful of crap.

What if I started saying that people who enjoyed watching hundreds-of-some episodes of Inuyasha lacked good taste in Anime and was too dumb to appreciate something non-mainstream and philosophical like Paranoia Agent?

Everybody has different tastes. You can hate on the show all you want, but you shouldn't hate on the viewers for enjoying it.

Touche my friend.

Oh and by the way. No I don't hate Inuyasha. Nor do I think people who watch Inuyasha lack intelligence.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kkun » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:50 am

Squadbillies. Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Metalocalypse. Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law. That's all I need to say to prove that there is some high quality entertainment on Adult Swim. Saying Futurama is the only good thing...well, that's just igna'nt.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:16 pm

The fact is I was referring to every comedy except Futurama.And I have read comments by certain people here and on other forums that bashed Inuyasha just as badly or worse so let us not get on a high horse here.
The fact of the matter one can never compare a high quality anime series with a bunch of crappy cartoons.
mitsuki lover

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:26 pm

Okay, that's it. I was HOPING you'd read the comments here and apologize, but apparently that isn't going to happen.

Yes, I don't like Inuyasha. I have no qualms with saying it sucks. I have no problem saying it's a horrible series. But have I EVER called you stupid for liking it? Have I EVER said "You must have an IQ smaller than your shoe size to like Inuyasha?" NO. I HAVEN'T.

So for YOU to sit there and say I'm an idiot for liking these shows is COMPLETELY out of line. I don't care if you insult the show. I'm fine with that. You can say that Aqua Teen sucks all day long and I won't give a crap.

But you insulted ME. That's totally different. Just because I find something funny that you don't is no freaking excuse to call me names.

So you know what? Fine. I guess you're right. I'm an idiot. That's why I made Dean's list TWICE the past two years of college and I'm getting a degree in nuclear engineering. That's why I got an A in calculus without doing a single homework assignment. Because I'm stupid, right?

By the way, if you're going to go around calling people stupid, make sure you look intelligent by comparison, by say, using proper grammar and spelling in your posts.

Nate

Next

Return to General Entertainment