Best Star Wars?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 pm

The follow-up cannot be compared to the original trilogy. But as far as the trilogy goes, I like Return of the Jedi the best to watch. I have a hard time taking them separately, because I think of the whole story when I think of Star Wars, but Empire Strikes Back was incredibly daring of them. I cannot imagine what it was like to end a movie like that and have to wait for three years to find out what happens. Our generation I don't think has a huge attention span, nor the patience, for stuff like that.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:44 pm

Empire Strikes Back for the win. Although I'm sad that A New Hope is so underrated here. I mean, that movie is fantastic too. And without it, there couldn't have been an Empire Strikes Back.

Return of the Jedi is a decent end to the series, but I feel like it could have been better. I think it was lame to bring back the Death Star. I mean, do you really think the Empire would be THAT stupid? Maybe that was supposed to be the point, but to me it kind of cheapens the whole thing.

I'm not even gonna get started on the new trilogy...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby USSRGirl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:07 pm

X.x *Accidently voted for Return of the Jedi cause it was the last one on the list*

Jedi is actually my second favorite, but Revenge of the Sith was far superior. Definitely the best. Most touching, most serious. Attack of the Clones = BLEGH. Least fav by far. Reminded me of a soap operah. Soooooo cheesy.
USSRGirl

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Mega.EXE

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:50 pm

USSRGirl wrote:Jedi is actually my second favorite, but Revenge of the Sith was far superior. Definitely the best. Most touching, most serious. Attack of the Clones = BLEGH. Least fav by far. Reminded me of a soap operah. Soooooo cheesy.

Chatty battle droids + bad lines + a villain with bronchitis = serious? I'd think that Empire was probably the most "serious" of all six.

ROTS did have a fantastic ending, though. I nearly cried at the final scene with Obi-Wan and Anakin.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:50 pm

I'm sorry, I liked Revenge up until George Lucas destroyed the plot.

Anakin turned to the Dark Side to save Padme. Then he tried to KILL HER. This makes NO SENSE.

Oh wait, I can hear you now. "But that proved that his turn to the Dark Side was complete because he didn't care about Padme anymore!" Right, so that's why the FIRST THING he asked after he was put in the suit was ask if she was okay...because he didn't care about her...right?

Once that happened, I realized I had been tricked, the storyline was crap at that point. I liked it right up until that huge contradiction.

Oh and that "She's perfectly healthy, but it's like she's lost the will to live. She's dying of a broken heart." LAME. BEYOND LAME.

And that's why Empire is the best.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Stephen » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:14 am

I loved Empire...but I don't know if I loved it more then Revenge. So I will say a tie between Revenge and Empire. I loved the scene where Anakin marches on the Jedi temple. I felt it was suprisingly dark, yet should be in the film.
Stephen

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:50 am

Ark wrote:I loved the scene where Anakin marches on the Jedi temple. I felt it was suprisingly dark, yet should be in the film.

YES. That scene was AWESOME.

Little kid: "Are you here to save us, Master Anakin?"

*Anakin draws his lightsaber*

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:33 am

kaemmerite wrote:I'm sorry, I liked Revenge up until George Lucas destroyed the plot.

Anakin turned to the Dark Side to save Padme. Then he tried to KILL HER. This makes NO SENSE.

Oh wait, I can hear you now. "But that proved that his turn to the Dark Side was complete because he didn't care about Padme anymore!" Right, so that's why the FIRST THING he asked after he was put in the suit was ask if she was okay...because he didn't care about her...right?

Once that happened, I realized I had been tricked, the storyline was crap at that point. I liked it right up until that huge contradiction.

Oh and that "She's perfectly healthy, but it's like she's lost the will to live. She's dying of a broken heart." LAME. BEYOND LAME.

And that's why Empire is the best.

Quoted for absolute truth.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:13 pm

*Ponders if the sole reason of the prequel was as a means of getting it to the point to where Vader could later say in TESB to Luke:"Luke I am your Father!"*
mitsuki lover

Postby termyt » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:34 pm

Mega.EXE wrote:Your views on the movies will never be the same

While the spoofs were mildly amusing, the trojan that site downloaded onto my PC was not.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Tidus20 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:07 am

The good old classics all the way. The new ones seem to be too dependant on CGI, and not enough on story. Also, the old Star Wars were alot less grim, and more fun to watch, in my opinion. Episode VI is my favorite. Also, you guys should check this parody out at youtube. it is hilarious. http://youtube.com/watch?v=lv4Potdpjhw

That's so true.
When the clock reads 2113
-Coheed and Cambria

Check out my totally NOT MySpace thingy HERE.

My ACTUAL WEBSITE.
Tidus20

Location: A place not too far from my happy place. My left middle finger has touched the same guitar as that

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:50 am

Has everyone forgotten about the '80s Star Wars parody Space Balls?
mitsuki lover

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:07 pm

mitsuki lover wrote: Has everyone forgotten about the '80s Star Wars parody Space Balls?

termyt wrote:Speaking of which, can I vote Spaceballs?

Apparently not.

Still, Spaceballs is hardly an official official Star Wars movie, as it borrows from other sci-fi movies like Star Trek and Alien.
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ingemar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:27 pm

Let's jump on the negativity boat!

I can't give praise for any of the PT except for minor chunks. Here goes...

Phantom Menace: Bad movie, cartoony all around. I won't even mention He We Shall Not Name *ahem*Binks*ahem. It set the stage for a long string of really hopelessly bad lines ("This is podracing! etc")

Mitigating factor: Had, IMNSHO, the best lightsaber combat of any of the movies, before and after.

Attack of the Clones: Here Lucas demonstrates his ability to turn good actors and make the seem at best lame, at worst horrible. (Actually, you could say that about PM as well, see Liam Neeson and Samuel L. Jackson). Clones had the worst dialogue and acting of any Star Wars movie. If both dialogue and acting are bad, you're pretty much screwed: no amount of great acting can make up for lousy writing and the quality of writing cannot make up for the lack of quality in acting. In this case, the the bad acting reinforces the bad writing.

Anakin (or Hayden Chritansen, I can't tell whether it's the character or the actor) REAAAAAAALLY ruined this movie for me. Every word that came out of his mouth was either lame, confusing, or utterly retarded. Examples are the infamous "sand monologue" or his admission that he is a mass murderer. It pained me, as a viewer, that not only is the character an unstable killer, but an unstable killer with the mental/emotional fortitude of a three-year-old.

He is even more painful a lover than an unstable fit-thrower. God, just thinking about the "sand monologue" pushes the bile to my tongue. I got to go to the bathroom.

Mitigating factor: The third act had more lightsabers than you can shake a stick at.

Revenge of the Sith:

Ben: Only a Sith think in absolutes.
(minutes later (or before, who cares))
Ben: Palpy is evil!
Ani: From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

What's more annoying than a moral relativist is a moral relativist who goes back on what he says by engaging in a game of contra-absolutism with someone who, from previous films we can tell, is hardly a mentally capable polemicist.

The duel on Mustafar was less than climactic for me because it was interrupted by a game of verbal Tit-for-Tat between Obi Wan and Anakin. ("You turned her against me!" "You turned her against yourself!" "The Sith are evil!" "The Jedi are evil!" etc.)

All the acting and characters were disappointing. I found General Grievous very grievous. What the heck kind of evil robot has emphysema? (Blah blah, clone wars stupid cartoons, I know). Even if I already knew that he is more of a cyborg, I wouldn't feel too intimidated by a general with a whooping cough.

Padme's shock at her hubby being a mass murder (which, suprisingly was absent in the previous movie) and her deat were entirely unconvincing.

And on what basis did Luke *need* to be screwed over by living in a crap farm with his step-relatives? Why couldn't *both* be raised in abject poverty or royalty? Stupid Bail Organa, you're getting a two-fer and instead you give up a free baby to a man who's dumb enough to say "Why does this keep happening to us? We're smarter than this!"

The curse of Whiny Stupid Emo Anakin would unfortunately not abate once he turned into the Black Helmet Cool Awesome guy we all know and love. This movie commit the unforgivable crime of ending THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE on the dissonant note of Vader's howling NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What was meant to be a emotionally charged moment instead nearly made me laugh.

Mitigating Factors: At least Jar Jar didn't talk.
Had an OK space battle in the beginning.
The Crispifying of Lord Vader at least was somewhat convincing, even if Obi-Wan's ability to slice off all three of his good limbs without killing him was not.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:52 pm

Wow, I actually agree with everything in your post. XD While I was able to enjoy the movies, every point you mentioned is so true, especially the part about the sand. XD And poor Ewan McGregor, having to deliver that awful, "We're smarter than this!" line. He really is a good actor...XD

Even if I already knew that he is more of a cyborg, I wouldn't feel too intimidated by a general with a whooping cough.

Seriously! Grievous had the potential to be a pretty cool character, but that just kind of ruined him for me. It basically just made me want him to die faster, but not because he was doing really evil things...just because he was annoying. XD

I definitely agree about the climactic lightsaber battle in TPM, though. That was a really impressive and entertaining scene.

Radical Dreamer

Postby Tidus20 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:31 am

Sorry. It messed up. The real post is next.
-Coheed and Cambria

My ACTUAL WEBSITE.
Tidus20

Location: A place not too far from my happy place. My left middle finger has touched the same guitar as that

Postby Tidus20 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:31 am

The cough IMPROVED him!
-Coheed and Cambria

My ACTUAL WEBSITE.
Tidus20

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:26 am

No error made in Star Wars can ever compare to the audacity that is Howard the Duck. (shudders while thinking of the scene where Beverly and Howard are in bed together.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:34 am

I do tend to enjoy that lightsaber battle in Phantom Menace. And Amidala's wardrobe. But that's about the only saving grace of the new movies. I'm perfectly happy pretending that the second movie doesn't exist. And the third movie was better than the others, but still had so many flaws that I just can't enjoy it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:55 pm

But what made Vader cool as a villian in the original trilogy was the voice of
James Earl Jones.
mitsuki lover

Postby Ingemar » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:51 pm

I realize I haven't actually answered the question of the thread.

This goes against the grain of many Star Wars junkies, but I liked ROTJ the best. Why? I liked Luke's growth as a character, though not necessarily his self-righteousness which bordered on arrogance. The space battle was pretty tight, too (even better than the one in the more modern, souped-up Ep. III--TAKE THAT AS A HINT, LUCASFILM).

I hated the Ewoks. I realize it was their way of making SW more kid-friendly, but even as a five-year old, I felt myself screaming inside, "Get those damb furries out of my way and let the good guys wallop the bad guys like REAL MEN!"

Despite that, I loved the movie.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:28 pm

*Gasp* Ingy, how could you?????

I LOVED THE EWOKS! Once I found out who and what they were, I was like, "OMG THEY'RE SO CUTE!!"

Come on, hearing an Ewok saying "Aye, chihuahuah" in his own language is kinda lame (Yes, I admit it), but the cuteness overrides the cheesiness.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:32 pm

The original trilogy was the best, and the story of a New Hope gets my pick as best plot
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Evangeline-San » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:49 pm

Return of the Jedi is awseome because it wraps everything up in huge battles and just that good old classic movie. ^_^
And I do like the Empire strikes back just casue it was so dark. mwahaha
I do have a thing for episode II... I like it alot. but it's not my favorite.
~And we know that all things work together for good, to those who love God, and to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28
~*`*`*`*`*`*~
It's tough being a girl... In a pink world.
-me
~~~
~I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13
"I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak. There ain't no disguising the truth!"
Evangeline-San

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:44 am

K. Ayato wrote:*Gasp* Ingy, how could you?????

I LOVED THE EWOKS! Once I found out who and what they were, I was like, "OMG THEY'RE SO CUTE!!"

Come on, hearing an Ewok saying "Aye, chihuahuah" in his own language is kinda lame (Yes, I admit it), but the cuteness overrides the cheesiness.

Agreed. I mean, with all the creepy, bizaare-o looking Star Wars characters, it was about time that they made one that wasn't disturbing. I mean, it added a lot of appeal that they were so devoted as to risk their lives for Han and friends, as well as a fun element to RotJ.

I'm liking how the poll is standing right now - v and vi neck and neck.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Maledicte » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:14 am

Return of the Jedi: Big explosions, big chase scenes, big fights, big drama, a touch of romance, momentarily scantily-clad women, Chewie giving the legendary Tarzan yell, teddy bears, and the squeamish fact that Luke had been in love with his own sister. Fun for the whole family.
Maledicte

Postby memmer66 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:10 am

The originals man all the way!
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Tidus20 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:05 am

Return of the Jedi: Big explosions, big chase scenes, big fights, big drama, a touch of romance, momentarily scantily-clad women, Chewie giving the legendary Tarzan yell, teddy bears, and the squeamish fact that Luke had been in love with his own sister. Fun for the whole family.

When I was reading that I thought it was going to say Chewie giving someone the finger.
-Coheed and Cambria

My ACTUAL WEBSITE.
Tidus20

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:31 pm

You need help Tidus. (lol) May I recommend a tax-free mental institution?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Previous

Return to General Entertainment