Fearless

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Fearless

Postby Omega Amen » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:42 am

*goes into Hype-a-Jet-Li-Martial-Arts-Movie mode.*

Alright, this movie will arrive in theaters this week. So, I need to let the word out.

Jet Li's best and most revered movies were filmed in the context between the Qing dynasty to the period of Western colonization. (One can tell with the male hairstyle called the Manchu queue, a combination of a shaved head and pontail.) For some reason, Jet Li's performances in this context produced some of his best work like the Once Upon a Time in China series, and Fong Sai Yuk.

Well, after getting over his gangsta-rap modern-day fighting movie phase *cringes at the thought*, Jet Li has came to his senses and has put on his Manchu queue for one last time. Teamed with fight choreographer Yuen Wo Ping (The Matrix, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Once Upon a Time in China 2, Fist of Legend) and producer Bill Kong (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero), Jet Li seems to be in his vintage form, which was what made me a big fan of his work in the first place.

This also seems to be his last martial-arts focused film. So this might be the last time anyone really gets to see him in his best form. I am really looking forward to watching this film.

Here is a Quicktime trailer.

And the movie website.

Oh, it is rated PG-13.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the fighting choreography more resembles Once Upon a Time in China. It is not the "floating" style of CTHD or Hero.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:41 am

I'm glad it's not like the "floating" type. I tend to dislike them.

Anyway I'll be sure to look into this. Unfortunately this is his last Wushu movie he will be in.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby oro! » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:25 am

I love Jet Li's films. This will be a must-see this year. I normally don't go to cinemas, but perhaps that will be possible for Fearless.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:34 pm

i really want to see this movie. i saw the previews and it looked pretty crazy. i read a review off pluggedinonline.com and it said that it featured no nudity or sexual content. only violence. and the violence isn't that extreme either. that's pretty good for a PG-13 jet li movie.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby The Last Bard » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:06 am

(Yes, I am back...) I want to see this movie so bad! It's looks wicked awesome!
The Last Bard

Postby Omega Amen » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:03 pm

Well, I saw it on opening weekend.... (It is unfortunate it could not beat that stupid MTV movie garbage....)

Either way, like I anticipated, it is Jet Li back in his best element. The historical setting always suits him. And this is obviously a well-financed production, and it really makes a difference. I particularly like the photography and the camera placement in many fights. Very fast-paced fights with interesting choreography. The plot is rather simple, but very effective, and the moral message comes across rather easily. In fact, it is kind of a nice change to see Jet Li play a spiritually tormented martial artist rather than the usual "perfect" hero.

My only complaint is that it is rather short for a Jet Li wushu film. Not even 2 hours. I cannot help but think that is a sign that Jet Li does not have the same stamina to do these films. He has been doing these films for a long time, and I guess it takes its toll.

Oh yeah, my favorite dialogue exchange, on the fight on the elevated platform.

Jet Li (mockingly): "Cat's Paw?"
Opponent (enraged): "TIGER'S CLAW!"
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby oro! » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 pm

I went to see Fearless today. It was very good indeed, once a person gets over the middle hill. The way they catch you to want to watch more and more was very clever. The basics for this story are very classic. (don't want to give away the plot, though)

From a girl's P.O.V., it was an emotional roller coaster, but the action and morals made it all worthwhile.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Ashley » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:20 am

Hurray for bumpage!

I saw this movie last night and absolutely adored it. I haven't seen a WHOLE lot of martial arts movies before, but I knew that I liked them and this was no exception. Sure, the plot was VERY clichéd, but for some reason I really enjoyed it. I couldn't help but pick up on some Hamlet-esque themes (though I doubt they are intentional, but maybe?) and wondered if in his last speech Jet Li was giving a farewell to his fans as well as staying in character.

The nationalistic element was a little hard to swallow at first. Maybe it's just because as an American it feels like everyone hates us right now, and then we get reminded what a buffoon we were in other countries and it's just not a pleasent image.

I did very much like Tanaka's character though. And I loved that they made him switch between Japanese and Chinese (it made me proud that I could understand him without the subtitles!). Overall I just really enjoyed this movie and was quite pleased with it.
Ashley

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:57 pm

I find it interesting that some women found this movie appealing. In my experience, usually, this type of wushu film turns women off.

But then, that is what make these ladies so cool.

oro! wrote:From a girl's P.O.V., it was an emotional roller coaster, but the action and morals made it all worthwhile.
I am trying to understand why do you feel the movie was an emotional roller coaster. Could you please elaborate?
Ashley wrote:I saw this movie last night and absolutely adored it. I haven't seen a WHOLE lot of martial arts movies before, but I knew that I liked them and this was no exception. Sure, the plot was VERY clichéd, but for some reason I really enjoyed it. I couldn't help but pick up on some Hamlet-esque themes (though I doubt they are intentional, but maybe?)
Well, the plot may be simple, even predictable, but it illustrated a lesson that many people can sympathize: the consequences of ambition and pride, the search for peace and redemption. These themes are universal in appeal. They just have to be executed well and creatively to be enjoyed.

Ashley wrote:wondered if in his last speech Jet Li was giving a farewell to his fans as well as staying in character.
Maybe. He is going to do a movie co-starring with Jackie Chan later, but it will not be a martial arts film. *shrugs.*

Ashley wrote:The nationalistic element was a little hard to swallow at first. Maybe it's just because as an American it feels like everyone hates us right now, and then we get reminded what a buffoon we were in other countries and it's just not a pleasent image.
Yeah... that is kind of hard to explain especially to people raised in a Western culture. Let us just say there is an issue of "face" underlying the whole film, which is crucial to understanding the Far East cultures.
Ashley wrote:Overall I just really enjoyed this movie and was quite pleased with it.
Glad I am not the only one.

Omega Amen

Postby That Dude » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:24 pm

I was also very pleased with this movie. It was one of the best, if not the best of the recent kung-fu epics that have been released in the last few years.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to General Entertainment