the prestige

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:17 pm

good gosh. it seems like there are a lot of plot twists and shocking turns of events in this movie. i'm tempted to read the spoilers but i can't. i must resist.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby soul alive » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:24 pm

Don't! Hang in there until you get to go. The previews are very good about telling you about the movie without telling you the movie. I know I would have been a little disappointed knowing what was going on before seeing the movie.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:49 am

soul alive wrote:[spoiler] Alfred and his brother really are twins. He states at the end of his diary that the word that he gave Angier to decode the diary - Tesla - while being the key, was just intended to get rid of Angier by sending him on a wild goose chase, he didn't know that that chase would end up creating that machine. Alfred was pulling his magic trick through with his twin, while Angier was convinced that something else was going on and became obsessed about finding it. Tesla probably did build a machine for Alfred, you could see it in his performances once he gets more well known, but it looked more like something there just to be cool, no real function.

The twist was that the wild goose hunt that Angier was sent on ended up being fruitful for him. The machine that Tesla created wasn't created until after Angier sought him out, and gave him enough financial support to be able to create it. Tesla was hiding out from Edison's men and barely had enough money to do the research he wanted. They didn't realize the machine worked as it did until Angier caught on.

One clue that points to Alfred's twin is the little old Chinese magician - who lived his entire life pretending to be a cripple for his magic tricks to work. Alfred was also living a life of pretending, he tells Angier at the end that they lived two halves of a complete life, taking turns living the 'reality' all for the sake of their magic tricks. Perhaps why Alfred was able to catch on so quickly that the Chinese magician was living a lie, as he was doing the same himself.[/spoiler]

Ahhh, that makes more sense. That whole thing had me so confused for the past few days! XD Well, I would say that you've saved me 6 dollars since I don't have to see it again to find that answer, but I'll end up going to see it again anyways, just 'cause it's wonderful. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yumie » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:44 pm

[spoiler] Alfred and his brother really are twins. He states at the end of his diary that the word that he gave Angier to decode the diary - Tesla - while being the key, was just intended to get rid of Angier by sending him on a wild goose chase, he didn't know that that chase would end up creating that machine. Alfred was pulling his magic trick through with his twin, while Angier was convinced that something else was going on and became obsessed about finding it. Tesla probably did build a machine for Alfred, you could see it in his performances once he gets more well known, but it looked more like something there just to be cool, no real function.[/spoiler]

Oooh, I didn't catch this, thanks for clearing that up for me!

[spoiler]One clue that points to Alfred's twin is the little old Chinese magician - who lived his entire life pretending to be a cripple for his magic tricks to work. Alfred was also living a life of pretending, he tells Angier at the end that they lived two halves of a complete life, taking turns living the 'reality' all for the sake of their magic tricks. Perhaps why Alfred was able to catch on so quickly that the Chinese magician was living a lie, as he was doing the same himself.[/spoiler]

Yeah, that's exactly what me and Osaka thought, only before we weren't sure that in living his lie he was hiding that he had a twin, or that he had a clone. Now I definitely need to see it again, I want to hear where he says that.
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Postby soul alive » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:17 pm

Glad I could help clear some confusion up. This is probably the first movie I've been to in years that I would be willing to pay to see again while still in theaters. I'm absolutely buying it when it comes out on DVD.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:23 pm

soul alive wrote:Glad I could help clear some confusion up. This is probably the first movie I've been to in years that I would be willing to pay to see again while still in theaters. I'm absolutely buying it when it comes out on DVD.

yeah. i haven't even seen the movie yet but i'm pretty sure i'm gonna really like it. if it comes out before christmas, then i'm gonna request that for a present. :sweat: anyways, i'll probably need to see it more than once to catch every detail and understand it to its fullest extent.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Maledicte » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:13 pm

This movie totally rocked my world. Such an intricate story that actually made sense! This one should be nominated for

-Best Picture
-Best Director
-Best Screenplay

And could easily get away with all three.

Also:

[spoiler] Alfred DID have a twin. Remember how he kept saying at the beginning that only HE could perform the trick? Because only HE had a secret identical twin and only HE had been sharing a life with that twin the entire time.

I love the foreshadowing used throughout the entire movie. Particularly the symbolism with the birds, and "getting your hands dirty." [/spoiler]
Maledicte

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:30 pm

yes! i finally watched the movie. it was like...super awesome! now i can look at all the spoilers and figure out how everything pieced together.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous

Return to General Entertainment