August 5, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

August 5, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:19 pm

Let The Church Be The Church

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm,-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
Revelation 3:15-16

In the Greek Islands, one can seek out the home of Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine. In the area, one can also find an olive tree, supposedly dating from his time. If this is so, this tree would then be some 2400 years old. The trunk of this tree is very large but completely hollow. The tree is little more than thick bark. There are a few long, straggling branches, but they are supported by sturdy wooden poles every few feet. It has an occasional leaf here and there and might produce a few olives each year. In the fields around, however, are olive groves in many directions. The strong, healthy, young trees with narrow trunks are covered with a thick canopy of leaves, under which masses of olives can be found each year. The tree of Hippocrates can still be called an olive by nature, in that it still shows the essential unique characteristics, but it has long since ceased to fulfill an olive's function. Tourists file up to inspect this ancient relic, having some link to a dim history, but the job of the olive tree passed long ago to many successions of replanted trees. Do you know any churches (or even people) like the tree of Hippocrates? The form is there, but the function is not. They have stopped reproducing and are satisfied just being big, or having a noble history.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to help you do your part in making the church everything He called it to be.

"Remember putting your face above a headless frame painted to represent a muscle man, a clown, or even a bathing beauty? Many of us have had our pictures taken this way, and the photos are humorous because the head doesn't fit the body. If we could picture Christ as the head of our local body of believers, would the world laugh at the misfit? Or would they stand in awe of a human body so closely related to a divine head?"
~Dan Bernard
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Felix » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:13 am

Wow....that's amazing. That one really spoke to me. Thanks so much, Doc.
Felix

Return to Devotional Readings