Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:15 pm

If you want scifi/mecha: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, and Macross Frontier are all contemporaries of Code Geass that you might like. If you go back a little farther, there is also Full Metal Panic and Eureka 7.
For action shows in the vein of Naruto, Bleach, and Kenshin; I'll go ahead and suggest One Piece, Soul Eater, and D.Gray-Man.
Shakugan no Shana and Last Exile might also be worth it to you as well.

Have you browsed Funimation's Video Portal and seen if anything has caught your eye?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:35 pm

I was thinking about Gurren Lagann, but I was going to see if the Sci-Fi channel reruns it now that they've finished

Ah Gurren lagann is amazing ^^ my favorite anime ^^
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Any thing for me? I've been browsing for a while but haven't found anything that seemed to interest me yet.

I REALLY Like Giant Robo... Great music, very smooth animation, loved the storyline and the way it unfolded with the almost greek tragedy like ending... Everything was BIG! The art was a little too cartoony and simple but it didn't bother me.

I'm in the mood for stuff some epic storyline that keeps moving but more in the vein of Hellsing Ultimate, Berserk (prefer an ending though), Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Samurai X Trust and Betrayal (NOT something like the series) I REALLY like those series/movies. Some kind of futuristic post apocalyptic or gothic horror type story with great stylized art, good soundtrack, big, etc etc would be nice :D I love the art, style and tone of stuff like Basilisk too but the actual story left something to be desired...

I'm not in the mood for the cutesy looking anime or fantasy type stuff like Scrapped Princess or Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1325843) wrote:Any thing for me? I've been browsing for a while but haven't found anything that seemed to interest me yet.

I REALLY Like Giant Robo... Great music, very smooth animation, loved the storyline and the way it unfolded with the almost greek tragedy like ending... Everything was BIG! The art was a little too cartoony and simple but it didn't bother me.

I'm in the mood for stuff some epic storyline that keeps moving but more in the vein of Hellsing Ultimate, Berserk (prefer an ending though), Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Samurai X Trust and Betrayal (NOT something like the series) I REALLY like those series/movies. Some kind of futuristic post apocalyptic or gothic horror type story with great stylized art, good soundtrack, big, etc etc would be nice :D I love the art, style and tone of stuff like Basilisk too but the actual story left something to be desired...

I'm not in the mood for the cutesy looking anime or fantasy type stuff like Scrapped Princess or Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight.

for epicness try soul eater and gurren lagann and cowboy bebop.
for the gothic thing try devil may cry the story isn't too good but its got lots of action
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

Makachop^^128

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1325843) wrote:Any thing for me? I've been browsing for a while but haven't found anything that seemed to interest me yet.

It isn't finished yet, but I think you might like Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven movies based on the novel by Kinoku Nasu. I hear that it's sort of a prototype for Tsukihime. Anyhow, it 's not as action-packed as some of the other stuff you listed, but when there is, usually at the climax of the movie, it's phenomenal. Each movie is around one hour in length, except for the fifth one, which is close to two hours.
blkmage

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:48 pm

blkmage (post: 1325850) wrote:It isn't finished yet, but I think you might like Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven movies based on the novel by Kinoku Nasu. I hear that it's sort of a prototype for Tsukihime. Anyhow, it 's not as action-packed as some of the other stuff you listed, but when there is, usually at the climax of the movie, it's phenomenal. Each movie is around one hour in length, except for the fifth one, which is close to two hours.

Ah, this looks excellent! Not finished yet... do you mean like Hellsing Ultimate where it's an ongoing work in progress or that it just hasn't been all released in America yet?

And that Gurren Lagann... I'll have to check that one out too... not exactly what I was looking for at the moment but judging by the clips, it looks very interesting/fun. Thanks :D
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1325564) wrote:Fruits Basket(I read the first three chapters, and it's neither one nor the other. Does it develop a point?)

Hmm... are you talking about the anime or the manga? This is for anime so at first I thought you meant anime, but then noticed you said "read" and "chapters" so I figured you might be talking about the manga.... and the answer to your question would be different depending on which route you're going.

Fruits Basket is one of my favorites. I really liked the anime, but the anime kind of leaves you hanging and doesn't develop much. The manga actually gets pretty epic, dramatic, and romantic.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Maokun » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1325564) wrote:Alright, I have absolutely NO idea what to watch, so I come here to ask you all. I'll also post series I've read/watched and whether I liked them or not.
Fullmetal Alchemist(both versions)(favorite)
Rurouni Kenshin(liked)
Cowboy Bebop(liked)
Code Geass(liked)
Ouran High School Host Club(liked)
Naruto(liked)
Bleach(liked)
Death Note(liked)
Tsubasa(I liked the first sixish episodes, but then it got pretty bad)
Fruits Basket(I read the first three chapters, and it's neither one nor the other. Does it develop a point?)
D.N.Angel(liked)

Following Naruto and Bleach it seems that you can enjoy shoune, so if you are in the mood of getting in another 400+ episodes series, try One Piece. Aslo following Cowboy Bebop, if you like Samurai Champloo, try Wolf's Rain

If you haven't seen it I definitely recommend Death Note. Also, on the line of Gothic/vampire you might also want to try Trinity Blood.
Maokun

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks to all of the people who reccomended stuff! I now know a numerous amount of series to try.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Ikimaru_Tarimi » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm watching Lucky Star, anyone want to comment about that show?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
God loves you

:dance:MOES:dance:
Ikimaru_Tarimi

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:18 pm

Ikimaru_Tarimi (post: 1326057) wrote:I'm watching Lucky Star, anyone want to comment about that show?

Lucky star is brilliant:sweat:
Konata is awesome

Makachop^^128

Postby Maokun » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Ikimaru_Tarimi (post: 1326057) wrote:I'm watching Lucky Star, anyone want to comment about that show?

I'd recommend watching some 100+ other anime series before watching Lucky Star so you'll "get" at least a small fraction of the jokes, references and cameos. Or at the very least, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya :P
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:42 am

Maokun (post: 1326445) wrote:I'd recommend watching some 100+ other anime series before watching Lucky Star so you'll "get" at least a small fraction of the jokes, references and cameos. Or at the very least, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya :P

It's probably a good idea to get acquainted with the Haruhi voice actors as well, since there are a metric ton of seiyuu jokes, as well as Japanese culture and otaku culture in Japan.
blkmage

Postby coffeehubby » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:40 am

Anyone have any recommendations for family friendly slice of life stuff...where guys are the heros? I saw some recommended stuff and was very disappointed to be honest. I did like STEAMBOY an action flick...but prefer SLICE of life
躍動感あふれる人生を受け入れる[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
coffeehubby

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:25 pm

There aren't too many slice of life shows that feature a bunch of guys, but I've heard good things about Ristorante Paradiso, which is about a bunch of guys who run some restaurant.
blkmage

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 pm

There are slice-of-lifey things that are properly other genres, but I can't think of anything that really equals, say, Minami-ke or the like. Occasionally you do get stuff that is normal shoujo slice-of-life, but has some equal time for the guys. The just-aired "Hatsukoi Limited' is a good example of that.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Maokun » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:57 am

Could you please tell us which animes disappointed you (and why, if you feel like)? That way we'll get a better idea of what NOT reccomend to you :p and well, maybe what to reccomend.
Maokun

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:12 pm

All right everybody, ready for some work?

I'm looking for more anime!

Here is what I've seen along with my thoughts....

-Angelic Layer: Not a favorite, but it's adorable. I loved the cuteness, and the ending almost made me cry.
-Bleach: Very good story with some great characters. My only major complaint would be the amount of language.
-Cardcaptor Sakura: My favorite magical girl series. I watched the whole series and the first movie. I just have to get myself to watch the last movie and I'll be done.
-Digimon: Digital Monsters: It's cute. Not a favorite, but cute.
-D.N.Angel: One of my absolute favorites. It was one of the two that got me into anime.
-Fruits Basket: Started watching it out of boredom, and it soon enough became one of my favorite shojo series.
-Dragon Ball: The concept was amazing with an awesome story, but the fanservice and crude humor was just too much for me. I stopped watching after about 3 and 3/4 episodes.
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Amazing so far. That's all I can say.
-Hello Kitty and Friends: I saw this when I was a little kid.... It was cute, but not a favorite of mine. I mostly prefer stuff for the older crowd now.
-Inu Yasha: Interesting story with interesting concepts, but it didn't fascinate me as much as some other shonen. I stopped watching after about 6 episodes but might pick up sometime.
-Kanon: It's just too adorable.... I love some of the characters. I haven't even been watching it for 2 weeks and I'm past the half point.
-Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Couldn't stand this series at first.... I thought it was just a cheap rip-off of Cardcaptor Sakura, but as I went on, it became more original, and I started to find it more enjoyable.
-Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch: It was okay. I hated it at first, but it began to grow on me as I pressed on. I didn't like that they didn't have super cool attacks like most other magical girl series, but their songs were cute and catchy.
-Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Pure: Only on episode 5ish.... It's all right but there's too much "monster of the day" filler so far. Makes me feel like they're just copying Sailor Moon with the "monster of the day that creates filler" thing.
-Naruto: Not very far into this one, only at episode 5, but so far, it's great.
-One Piece: At about the same point I'm at with Naruto, but it's really good too.
-Ouran High School Host Club: Completely amazing, and up there with Fruits Basket for favorite shojo.
-Pokemon: Not a favorite, but brings nostalgia. Also has lots of adorable creatures with awesome powers.
-Princess Tutu: It was cute. I loved the creativity of the series and the characters were just all too adorable.
-Revolutionary Girl Utena: I won't elaborate on this one since it's a "do not discuss" title.
-Rurouni Kenshin: One of the best shonen series I've seen.
-Sailor Moon: I won't lie... I only started this because it was so popular. I didn't care for it much at first, but as I went on, it grew on me. Now, I love it.
-Superbook: I saw this when I was a little kid.... so I don't remember much of it.
-Tokyo Mew Mew: Just started this, but so far, it's just too adorable. Definitely just the typical magical girl anime (at least up to this point), but the typical cute magical girl anime too.
-Trigun: It's super confusing.... but it's interesting too. I'll keep watching.
-Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle: A first and favorite for me. One of the two titles which got me into anime.
-Vampire Knight: Completely amazing... The artwork was incredible and I really like ZeroXYuuki.
-Wedding Peach: It was cute, but I didn't really care for it all that much. Their attacks were just too frilly and not exciting enough for me. I realize the same was with Mermaid Melody, but MM actually had some catchy attack songs. The transformations and attacks are the main things I like about magical girl series, but this series really didn't have transformations and attacks exciting enough for me. Stopped at episode 12.
-Wedding Peach DX: Actually an improvement when compared to the series. Their attacks and transformations were awesome in this OVA. Too bad they didn't use stuff like that in the series.
-Wolf's Rain: Only watched one episode... It was okay. Should I keep going?
-xxxHOLiC: Not a favorite, but watchable.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 pm

There are some pretty obvious choices here. Kanon, which I'm assuming is Kyoto Animation's 2006 26 episode series and not Toei's awful 2002 12 episode series , logically leads to KyoAni's other adaptation of the Key games, which are Air and CLANNAD (and, of course, CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~). I thought Air was just okay and you'll probably enjoy it, but CLANNAD is one of my favourite series and is considered Key's best visual novel. CLANNAD's main theme is family and it's way more sad and tragic than Kanon or Air.

The other one is Nanoha. If you enjoyed Nanoha, then look into its sequels, Nanoha A's and Nanoha StrikerS. A's is a lot more like the second half of Nanoha and has some great action and is generally considered to be the best of the series. StrikerS is set after A's and evolves the series into something that isn't quite mahou shoujo anymore and develops the world and characters more. To go with the anime series, there are two supplemental manga, A's to StrikerS and StrikerS. Set after StrikerS, there's an important audio drama called Nanoha StrikerS Sound Stage X and after that, there are two parallel manga series called Nanoha Force and Nanoha ViVid.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:44 am

You seem to like the works of CLAMP as you listed 4 of their titles (though XxxHolic somehow failed to be a favourite) so I'd recommend Magic Knight Rayearth, one of their earliest but most iconic shows. I'm also sure you'll enjoy Chobits from the same authors.

If you liked the premise of Dragon Ball but disliked the toilet humour and the innuendo you may want to check Dragon Ball Z wich continuates the premise but is a lot cleaner and IMHO, though Z is a direct sequel, you don't really need to watch Dragon Ball to be able to understand it, as it stands quite well on its ownl Kudos with Naruto and One Piece, but I hope you realize you are embarking on series with around 400+ each and still running.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to follow Trigun and Wolf's Rain. They are way grittier and deeper than the other series but there are excellent at make you think at the same time you are being entertained.

Finally I'll recommend you the top series in my list, Cowboy Bebop. If by the time you are done with Trigun you find you liked it, definitely give a try to CB.
Maokun

Postby Maokun » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 am

You seem to like the works of CLAMP as you listed 4 of their titles (though XxxHolic somehow failed to be a favourite) so I'd recommend Magic Knight Rayearth, one of their earliest but most iconic shows. I'm also sure you'll enjoy Chobits from the same authors.

If you liked the premise of Dragon Ball but disliked the toilet humour and the innuendo you may want to check Dragon Ball Z wich continuates the premise but is a lot cleaner and IMHO, though Z is a direct sequel, you don't really need to watch Dragon Ball to be able to understand it, as it stands quite well on its ownl Kudos with Naruto and One Piece, but I hope you realize you are embarking on series with around 400+ each and still running.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to follow Trigun and Wolf's Rain. They are way grittier and deeper than the other series but there are excellent at make you think at the same time you are being entertained.

Finally I'll recommend you the top series in my list, Cowboy Bebop. If by the time you are done with Trigun you find you liked it, definitely give a try to CB.

EDIT: crappy connection made me think it hasn't sent the post submission before dying and ended posting twice. Can a kind Mod please delete? :sweat:
Maokun

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for the list everybody! :) I'll be sure to check some of these out. And xxxHOLiC isn't something I didn't like exactly, I just didn't like it as much as Cardcaptor Sakura and Tsubasa. Then again, I'm only at episode 9, and stuff usually has to grow on me before I like it... so I have a lot more episodes to watch.

Right now I'm watching the original Kanon, actually. I would like to watch the 2006 version but I just can't really find it anywhere. It's longer (which I like) and it has improved artwork, but for now this suffices.

I put Air on my "to watch" list awhile ago and never got around to it.... Maybe I'll watch that when I finish Kanon.

Thanks for the insight into Nanoha's sequels! :dance: I didn't know that A's was typically considered the best. I'll keep my eyes out for them.

I think Magic Knight Rayearth would probably be a winner for me. I read the manga, which was really good, and heard the anime has a bit more story to it, so I'll probably like the anime.

I've been wondering if it'd work out for me to just skip over to Z, so thanks for that thought. :)

I'll be sure to follow Trigun and Wolf's Rain a bit more then, and I heard Cowboy Bebop is a very popular one... So I guess I'll give that a shot too.

All right, well, thanks for the suggestions! Feel free to keep them coming.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:27 pm

ah... I for the first time don't have a huge list of animes I want to watch I'm almost done with Eureka seven and not to sure what to watch next. any ideas?
My favorite animes of all time are
Tengen toppa gurren lagann
Mushishi
Soul eater
Ergo proxy
Cowboy bebop
and Eureka seven
any recommendations?

Makachop^^128

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Long series or short series ^^?

Full Moon wo Sagashite- Is a good long shojo-y anime <33
Aire TV- Is a short, but deep ^__^ Very bitter sweet with more bitter 8( I loved it <33
School Rumble-Is caked up with laugh out loud comedy ^^

What's your favorite anime genre ^^? That should help narrow it down a bit :)
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1330514) wrote:Long series or short series ^^?

Full Moon wo Sagashite- Is a good long shojo-y anime <33
Aire TV- Is a short, but deep ^__^ Very bitter sweet with more bitter 8( I loved it <33
School Rumble-Is caked up with laugh out loud comedy ^^

What's your favorite anime genre ^^? That should help narrow it down a bit :)

oh well long or short idk lol heh..
I really like mecha, science fiction and action

Makachop^^128

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:37 pm

For mecha, look no further than the big hits of last year: Gundam 00, Code Geass, and Macross Frontier. Beyond that, for something that's kind of like a more subdued Eureka Seven, there's Xam'd: Lost Memories.
blkmage

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:48 pm

blkmage (post: 1330576) wrote:For mecha, look no further than the big hits of last year: Gundam 00, Code Geass, and Macross Frontier. Beyond that, for something that's kind of like a more subdued Eureka Seven, there's Xam'd: Lost Memories.

ah! thank u very much I'll check them out

Makachop^^128

Postby Wyntre Rose » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:39 pm

mysngoeshere56: I'd encourage you to keep with xxholic - my favorite stuff happens in the 2nd season, called xxholic: kei. It's only available online with fansubs right now, but if you like clamp, which it seems like you do, I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy it.

Also, wolf's rain is amazing! It does get a bit gritty at times, but the modern day folktale feel of it is just awesome.

We seem to have very similar tastes, almost all of my favorites are on your list. One that I don't see on your list that is spectacular is Death Note. If you like cat and mouse/mindgames/detective stories, or even just suspenseful, cerebral storytelling, you'll enjoy it.

Makachop: If you like mecha/action/scifi, I'd also highly recommend Vision of Escaflowne, also just known as Escaflowne.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Makachop: If you like mecha/action/scifi, I'd also highly recommend Vision of Escaflowne, also just known as Escaflowne.

thank u I'll check it out ^^

Makachop^^128

Postby That Dude » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 am

I second Escaflowne. It's amazing!

And if you haven't watched it yet, then you need to see Trigun.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews