Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby metolosophy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm looking for another shounen anime to get into- but I'm not quite sure where to begin looking. <<
My favorite shounen series so far have been:
Ao no Exorcist
Kuroshitsuji
FMA (and Brotherhood)
Soul Eater
(I like the supernatural action genre, I guess. :XD:)
As long as its not longer than FMA or Soul Eater, I'm pretty much up for anything. ^L^
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:05 pm

This hasn't aired yet, but in October Magi, one of my favorite shonen manga, is getting an anime, so I'll drop by to plug that as really fantastic. It'll be taking over the timeslot both FMA and AoEx ran in, if that is of any interest to you.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Twister980 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:44 pm

I'd recommend the following.

Full Metal Alchemist. (Watched the entire original series.)
Trigun. (Kind of like Doctor Who meets Firefly.)
Fruits Basket.
Shugo Chara.
And Fairy Tail. (Fairy Tail makes me cry. The music fits perfectly with the story.)
Image Image "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Twister980

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Just for the sake of clarification, Atria was referring to the series Visions of Escaflowne. There is a movie just called Escaflowne, but it takes a different direction entirely, in spite of both having much of the same characters.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:04 pm

metolosophy (post: 1583332) wrote:I'm looking for another shounen anime to get into- but I'm not quite sure where to begin looking. <<
My favorite shounen series so far have been:
Ao no Exorcist
Kuroshitsuji
FMA (and Brotherhood)
Soul Eater
(I like the supernatural action genre, I guess. :XD:)
As long as its not longer than FMA or Soul Eater, I'm pretty much up for anything. ^L^

I think you'd dig Claymore, if you can handle the additional violence. It's dark fantasy/action and pretty good until the very end (deviation from the manga).

I've never seen Pandora Hearts, but it sounds right up your alley.

If you want to expand your horizons just a wee bit, I think, based on the shows you've listed, that you would find a lot of love about both Sengoku Basara and Baccano!. The former is an over-the-top, action-y rendition of Japan's Era of the Warring States, and it feel like it has shounen roots. I don't want to go into why I think you'll like the latter due to spoilers, but I think your enjoyment of FMA means there's a good chance you'll like Baccano, again, with the caveat that you can handle the violence+.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:34 pm

How about Yuyu Hakusho?
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:40 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1583575) wrote:How about Yuyu Hakusho?

I fully endorse this recommendation.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Wow, lots of activity in this thread these past few days-- guess it's a good time to add my own request! Since my plan-to-watch list is starting to get a bit thin (the majority of it is stuff that I'm waiting to either be aired at all or to be released here), I'm looking to stock up some more titles-- so if you guys could please give me a bunch of recommendations, that'd be awesome! :thumb: Here are some preferences as a guide:

General:

Can be licensed or unlicensed; as long as it's translated in some manner, either's fine with me.

Also can be any type (series/OVA/movie/etc.), any length, any year (new or old), any category (shojo/shonen/seinen/josei), and any genre(s).

And because I've learned the hard way that-- except in certain cases-- I tend to be pretty darn picky about adaptations (to the point where if it's based on, say, a manga, I'd almost always just rather go read that instead :P), I would prefer the recommendations to be either anime-originals, or (good) adaptations of 4-koma manga (since I'm not really interested in reading entire volumes of 4-koma at the moment), or (good) adaptations of videogames/VN's, or adaptations of novels that are not currently available to read in English in any manner (licensed or not).

Also, on a sidenote, I'm even more picky about finales :sweat:-- so, #1, there had actually better *be* one (i.e., no rage-inducing 'now imagine your own ending! *trollface*'/never-to-be-completed/naggingly unresolved cliffhanger/etc. type stuff); and, #2, it had better be satisfying (...though I *am* well aware that the 'satisfying' bit can be tricky to predict sometimes {especially when you're trying to do so for other people!}, so please just go ahead and recommend stuff that had endings that were satisfying for you :)).

Content:

Violence... Anything up through, say, Fullmetal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin (manga), or Ergo Proxy levels is perfectly alright; but visible innards are a definite no (unless it's *very* rare, very short in duration, and could be quickly skipped/avoided).

Nudity... Views from behind, or the strategically-covered or undetailed Barbie-doll types, are fine. However, I would currently prefer to avoid nudity that's detailed, if possible.

Language... Not much restriction here; I mean, as long as it's not just dropping constant F.'s everywhere for no apparent reason, I really don't care.

Religion... Almost anything in this area is alright as well, as long as it's not openly bashing Christianity or something. Other than that, magic, supernatural stuff, other religions, & etc. are fine by me.

Oh, and no yaoi/yuri/shonen-ai/shojo-ai/etc., please :sweat:, if at all possible.

In Closing:

You can have a look at my anime and manga lists (links in footer) to see what I've already watched and read (and what I thought of them :)), as well as what I'm already planning on watching and reading (...and since I tend to read more than I watch, you'll probably want to check both lists to make sure ;)).

Also, if there are things that you really want to recommend that happen to fall outside of any of the preferences stated above, please feel free to do so anyway (with an explanation, of course :))-- since, as a few of my list entries show, I'm still willing to consider 'em!

And, finally, please throw as many titles at me as possible! (I'm serious-- no list is too large. In fact, the larger, the better! :))

...Whew! Sorry that was kinda long :sweat:-- and thank you all very much in advance!!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Okay, this should be pretty fun.

Xam'd: Lost Memories is one of my absolute favorite anime. It does stumble a bit in the second half (but the second half is also much better on a second watch) but the first half is honestly possibly the best anime I've ever seen. The production of the show is especially stand out, with film-quality animation for the entirety of its 26 episode run. This makes it especially fantastic because it adds a sense of realness to the world and actions because it looks normal. Akiyuki's dad takes a couple seconds to grope for his glasses after he wakes up or a character will trip (without significance) while they're walking. The characters are also amazing, especially because the animation is written into their characterization, the way they move, etc. I think you'd love it.

Similarly, Eureka Seven is Xam'd predecessor and is typically regarded as a better show by most people (including myself) and is very excellent. There is a magazine with a topless girl on it with detailed nudity that is shown briefly on occasion, but it isn't service-y or anything. Both Xam'd and E7 are streaming on Crunchyroll. They are both by Bones.

Library War is one of my favoritest things ever but I wrote a ton about it in Maokun's Best of 2008 thread so those should be easy to find. It's by Production IG. Unlicensed.

This is also my very bestest chance to try and pimp Oofuri some more. So I see you liked tsuritama right? Watch Oofuri. You will love it. I can tell. The first seasons is licensed by Funimation but it infamously flopped so the second season is unlicensed.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Long list o' great anime that I stand behind:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Cross Game
Michiko e Hatchin
Redline
Tokyo Godfathers
Fantastic Children
Rose of Versailles
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Serial Experiments Lain
The Tatami Galaxy
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The Castle of Cagliostro
Kaiba: What is Memory?
Patlabor OAV and TV
Library War
Wings of Honneamise
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Martian Successor Nadesico
Gungrave
Escaflowne TV & Movie
12 Kingdoms
Macross Plus
Samurai Champloo
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Terra e... (The 2007 version) (FOR HUMANITY! FOR TERRA!)

(There is some brief male nudity in two scenes, but it is not at all graphic. )
Neane

Postby Maokun » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 am

So I see it falls to me (but I don't complain) to recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion, minding the caveat that the true finale of the series (since you are picky about it) is a movie so you better mind that you need to watch both the series and the end movie.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:43 pm

@Hat: Ah, I'd been wondering if I should check out Library War and Eureka Seven-- thanks for letting me know that indeed I should! And you are quite convincing about the other two, as well. ;) I'll add all of those to my list immediately. :thumb:

@Neane: Interesting choice-- I'll definitely give it a look.

@SubtleDoc and @Maokun: I have a few more questions on some of these, however since I think said questions might get pretty long I'll ask them via PM. :)

You are all awesome :jump: -- thank you!! :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Juliannesan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:25 am

So guys, I have a question. I'm leaving in about a month to Florida for some intense missions training for 3 months, which will probably mean I will have next to no time to watch anime in those 3 months. So if you guys had any suggestions for any GREAT anime (On my to-watch list, or on-hold list, or not) PLEASE let me know. I am quite undecided. I've started to watch a few random episodes of different shows, but the only ones I've been following as of late are Hyouka (which is almost finished) and Folktales of Japan. So if you can recommend any from my list or not. That'd be great.

I'll only have time to maybe watch 2 or 3 more shows before I leave, due to packing and work and such. But any thoughts would be welcomed, keeping in mind these rules.

No explicit or really implied sex scenes.
No heavy language and/or terrible humor.
No explicitly gorey/bloody or heavy violence.
No witchcraft, or Ouija board stuff, not even if it's in ONE scene.

That is all.

One more thing, I tend to lean toward mystery, and a good love story. Some action is good, as long as it's not heavily violent. Like even DRRR! was a little much for me on the violence & language. Just to give you an example.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:18 pm

I think Tiger and Bunny, tsuritama, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 would all be pretty clean and excellent things you'd like.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1585570) wrote: Ookiku Furikabutte, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 would all be pretty clean and excellent things you'd like.

I am highly seconding these. Especially Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. I'm also going to go with Kemono no Souja Erin, which is shockingly good - it's like Miyazaki went in for a full TV series instead of a movie. Time of Eve is also a fantastic, clean series.

From your on-hold list]BUNNY DROP[/B]. THIS SERIES RIGHT HERE. It is amazing and wonderful and it is phyically impossible to be unhappy when you watch it because it is so full of wonderful.

I'm a little torn on Cardcaptor Sakura. The 'magic' in it is heavily implied to be passed on through lineage (aka if you have magic powers it's because you inherited them genetically). The cards are really there to focus powers, but they do have 'personalities', and there are several magically-created beings. And there is an implied romantic relationship between Sakura's brother and his best friend, but it's only mentioned in the very briefest way in one episode, and the rest of the time there's absolutely no indication it's romantic at all.

If you can't stand heavy violence, take Baccano! off your PTW list right now. It is far more violet than DRRR!
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1585570) wrote:I think Tiger and Bunny, tsuritama, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 would all be pretty clean and excellent things you'd like.
^ Definitely seconding/thirding these (especially Tsuritama :hug: & Tokyo Magnitude 8.0)!

Also seconding Atria's recommendation of Time Of Eve, however I'd actually go for the movie of it rather than the miniseries, because the movie contains all the content of the series plus a little bit extra. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:21 am

Okay! Sounds good. I will check those out. I already was thinking about Tsuritama, and also Tiger & Bunny since it's on Hulu Plus too.

Yeah, I've wanted to see Card Captors mainly because of my best friend, she used to watch it as a kid, and loved it, so I wanted to give it a try. But it may have to wait till I get back, because I don't want to rush through it, same with Kemono no Souja Erin.

Bunny Drop I have been intending to finish, and it's short, so I could do that easily.

And yeeah, I've been thinking of taking Baccano!! off my list for awhile, just haven't done it.

SO I think what it comes down to is these.

Bunny Drop - definite
Tsuritama - definite
Time of Eve - definite.

And Tiger & Bunny and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, maybe. If I have enough time.

Card Captors
Kemono no Souja Erin

I will watch later.

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the help!

Also, if there are any other suggestions, I'm willing to give it a listen.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Cadence » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi guys! Anyone have any recommendations they can throw at me? I haven't been too successful in finding anything that is keeping my interest lately. I'd prefer a shorter series right now (in the 13-26 episode range) and something that has already finished airing. I generally like fantasy, science fiction, or historical stories best, though I'm open to pretty much anything...though I guess I should say that I'm not a big fan of romance, especially of the sparkles and bubbles shoujo variety; and mecha isn't really my thing, either.

As far as content goes, I try to avoid anything potentially R-rated - the cleaner, the better. And preferably, something that is available to watch legally.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Heroic Age? I'm in the minority of people who dislike it. It's a solid sci-fi series, very clean, and legally available on Hulu and Funi.
Birdy the Mighty: Decode - This is one of my favorite sci-fi series, and even though Birdy's outfit can be slightly misleading, there's minimal-to-no fanservice. She just... wears what she wears, and it's never shown in any sort of sexual light. It's fantastic, and legally available to watch on Funi.
Cowboy Bebop - anime classic you haven't seen yet. I think I'd rate it a solid PG-13, most of it is pretty fun and decently clean, but it has its moments with gunfights and injuries, and one story arc involves a guy addicted to drugs.
Atria35

Postby Cadence » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks Atria! I've tried watching Heroic Age a few times, but I didn't like it much, either. :p I think I will give Birdy a try next.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:07 am

I really liked Ga-Rei: Zero, though it does have some detailed nudity at one point that is pretty clearly fanservice, and also a lot of subtext for yuri fans, but it does have some great fights, hilarious parts, and some pretty great characters. It's certainly flawed but it is especially great to watch with other people.

Brodacious Space Pirates is similarly pretty great but there is a couple of lesbians in the middle of the show. I'd give it a couple episodes and see what you think, because I'm not sure if it's your kind of thing.

This should also be the part where I re-push the other Hosoda movies too, I guess. And it might be worth your time to check out the LOGH prequel movies (My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War) to see if you'd be at all interested in them, though I think both movies and My Conquest especially are more enjoyable if you already know who the characters are, but it's pretty easy to pick up on things. Overture is essentially an expanded cut of the first couple episodes of the main series.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 pm

You might like the 2007 TV Series of Terra e..., it is a soild and complete epic space opera with a good ending. The only content that I think is that there is some brief male nudity in two scenes, but it is not at all graphic and also there is a little big of blood.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:08 am

Seconding Cowboy Bebop. Raising Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Samurai Champloo.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby Cadence » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Wow, lots more recommendations! Thanks, guys!

And don't worry, Hat, I haven't forgotten about the Hosada movies. They're definitely in my plans for the future. =)
Cadence

Postby AliceLink96 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello! I'm looking for an Anime to watch but I'm not quite sure where to start...o_o I really like action and comedy with a really good mystery. However, I really don't like nudity and all that other stuff..does anyone have any suggestions? Ive already watched Clannad and Clannad Afterstory, which were really good :)
AliceLink96

Postby Crossfire » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:43 pm

When dealing with action and comedy, the first series that comes to mind is Full Metal Panic. Gintama is also great if you don't mind the crude humor and Japanese references.
Crossfire

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:38 pm

AliceLink96 (post: 1590087) wrote:Hello! I'm looking for an Anime to watch but I'm not quite sure where to start...o_o I really like action and comedy with a really good mystery. However, I really don't like nudity and all that other stuff..does anyone have any suggestions? Ive already watched Clannad and Clannad Afterstory, which were really good :)

Action and comedy don't really go with mystery. I can only think of two that go that route - Detective Academy Q (which does have some mentioned fanservice - the one of the guys occasionally mentions the girl's panty pattern, but virtually nothing is actually shown onscreen), and Detective Conan.

If you liked Clannad, you'd probably be up for Key's other anime - Air, Kanon (2006), and Angel Beats.

Just for kicks because it's so good - Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Not action, comedy, or mystery, but then again Clannad isn't either ;D
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:41 am

Hmm, as Atria said, finding an intersection of those 3 is a bit difficult, but I think your best bet would be Dennou Coil.

Action + Mystery = Gosick, Death Note, Baccano! (the latter has lots of gore if that's a problem for you.)

Action + Comedy = Full Metal Panic Fumuffu!? InuYasha, Ranma 1/2 (the latter has some blurred nudity for comedic purposes)

Maokun

Postby Falx » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:45 am

Hyouka which just finished airing fits the bill as a mystery series, although it's not about solving crimes so don't expect any action. It's also an adorable romance and has some truly astonishing animation.

The only negative I can think of is that the very first mystery is really incredibly simple and could give you the impression that the rest are going to be equally dumb, and doesn't exactly grab your attention. But that's not the case as most of the mysteries were amazing and always made sure to point out how all the information was available, even for the audience, to put together if they could just see the connection.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews