Mobile Suit Gundam

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:21 pm

blkmage (post: 1486410) wrote:anime adaptation of a manga adaptation of an anime

It's not a straight 1-to-1 manga adaptation. It's more of an alternate retelling, I think. From what I've understood, it rearranges certain events and goes into much more detail on things like the origins of Zeon and Char's history.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1486443) wrote:I thought I had talked about this already.

A few years back, the Gundam movies came out on DVD with COMPLETELY redone audio. Apparently Tomino thought the original mix wasn't good enough or something. All the lines were re-recorded, some of the music was missing, the sound effects were all wrong, and I think a few people may have been re-cast. The story is the same, but the audio is fricking annoying to listen to. Imagine if George Lucas replaced some of the musical score with something else, and then made all the actors come in and re-record their lines for the next cash grab he does. It's sort of like that.
Which audio does this edition have?

MasterDias (post: 1486449) wrote:It's not a straight 1-to-1 manga adaptation. It's more of an alternate retelling, I think. From what I've understood, it rearranges certain events and goes into much more detail on things like the origins of Zeon and Char's history.
Yeah, from what I gather the story will be told from Char's point of view rather than Amuro's.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Those DVDs have the remastered audio.

Also...a retelling, eh? This could either be really freaking cool, or the worst thing ever.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 pm

From what I've heard, The Origin is considered pretty good. It's also apparently been rumoured to be the "next" TV Gundam since SEED. That's a pretty good sign, I think, and if this turns out well, the UC people will be placated and we'll have a way of introducing the UC to nubs. Other than story tweaks, I hear the mobile suit designs have also apparently been subtly updated so that they all look excellent instead of slightly derpy like some do (lol Guncannon).
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Oh dang. This is sounding pretty good.

However, I'm gonna cry if they don't get Ikeda Shuuichi and Furuya Tohru. They can re-cast anyone but them. They pretty much HAVE to re-cast Bright since Suzuoki passed away :< I think the guy that played Dozle passed away too actually.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1486354) wrote:I wish I knew more Japanese so I could play Super Robot Wars, where this kind of stuff happens all the time.
From the looks of things, doesn't look like you need to know much Japanese at all.
Fish and Chips

Postby Agloval » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:38 am

A bit more AGE information.

The obligatory two-letter timeline name is AG ('Advanced Generation').
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:01 am

This actually sounds like kind of an interesting concept. I can't say I care for the art style, but at least it's not that sameface Gundam SEED glassy-eyed crap.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:56 pm

After War: Gundam X

They should call this show "The AU Gundam for UC Gundam fans" because it's pretty much a "what if...?" of the UC sans UC characters. While the words "Universal Century" aren't uttered, you have things like a colony drop and the concept of the Newtype that play a huge role in the story.

I started out not really digging the robots but somehow during the course of watching the series, I pulled a 180. I really, really like the mecha in Gundam X. The titular machine is very RX-78ish, while a couple of the Gundam take their design cues from Gundam Wing's Epyon (only, they are way cooler than Epyon).

For me, X competes with Zeta for best cast top-to-bottom. There's only one character that I felt meh about, while the rest were either intriguing or entertaining or even kind of enthralling. For anyone who has seen Eureka 7, the main trio and even a couple of the minor characters functionally overlay quite nicely with those of E7, if only initially. Once the dominos begin falling, you'll stop comparing them.

Gundam X also has the best (read: most satisfying) romantic relationship I've seen in a Gundam series, and the most BA captain since Bright Noa, namely Jamil Neate (not BA in a hot-blooded way, but a more quiet, Harlock-ish way).

Enter rumor dispelling corner: It's a fact that Gundam X holds the dubious distinction of being only the second Gundam show to be cancelled. You might hear that it got cancelled because it did so poorly in the ratings, even after its timeslot got moved. This is not quite accurate; the show was doing ratings comparable to its predecessors, G and Wing, but its timeslot got moved to a not-so-great one (some terrible time on Sunday). Only then did the ratings begin to go in the tank. And, fear not; they said everything they wanted to say by the end. The climax doesn't feel too abrupt or disjointed. The last 8-9 episodes pick up the pace, but I don't consider that a bad thing.

So, Gundam fans should consider this one a must watch IMO. It's up there in the same ballpark with Tomino's better efforts, though it doesn't surpass them. If you only watch one AU Gundam this year...=). course, I have yet to see Turn A, so, I'll just say that tentatively, X is the best AU Gundam I've seen. And, again, whether Turn A is better than it or not, X is still one of the better Gundam shows period, for me.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby battletech » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:54 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1487337) wrote:After War: Gundam X

They should call this show "The AU Gundam for UC Gundam fans" because it's pretty much a "what if...?" of the UC sans UC characters. While the words "Universal Century" aren't uttered, you have things like a colony drop and the concept of the Newtype that play a huge role in the story.

I started out not really digging the robots but somehow during the course of watching the series, I pulled a 180. I really, really like the mecha in Gundam X. The titular machine is very RX-78ish, while a couple of the Gundam take their design cues from Gundam Wing's Epyon (only, they are way cooler than Epyon).

For me, X competes with Zeta for best cast top-to-bottom. There's only one character that I felt meh about, while the rest were either intriguing or entertaining or even kind of enthralling. For anyone who has seen Eureka 7, the main trio and even a couple of the minor characters functionally overlay quite nicely with those of E7, if only initially. Once the dominos begin falling, you'll stop comparing them.

Gundam X also has the best (read: most satisfying) romantic relationship I've seen in a Gundam series, and the most BA captain since Bright Noa, namely Jamil Neate.

Enter rumor dispelling corner: It's a fact that Gundam X holds the dubious distinction of being only the second Gundam show to be cancelled. You might hear that it got cancelled because it did so poorly in the ratings, even after its timeslot got moved. This is not quite accurate]then [/I]did the ratings begin to go in the tank. And, fear not; they said everything they wanted to say by the end. The climax doesn't feel too abrupt or disjointed. The last 8-9 episodes pick up the pace, but I don't consider that a bad thing.

So, Gundam fans should consider this one a must watch IMO. It's up there in the same ballpark with Tomino's better efforts, though it doesn't surpass them. If you only watch one AU Gundam this year...=). course, I have yet to see Turn A, so, I'll just say that tentatively, X is the best AU Gundam I've seen. And, again, whether Turn A is better than it or not, X is still one of the better Gundam shows period, for me.

You broke it down perfectly. The romantic relationship is great. Those two kids were so cute.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Doc, you are making me want to see X even more than I already did. I know a lot of people who are like "LOL IT GOT CANCELED SO IT OBVIOUSLY IS THE WORST GUNDAM SERIES". I love it when people talk crap about series they haven't even seen yet.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:23 pm

battletech (post: 1487437) wrote:You broke it down perfectly. The romantic relationship is great. Those two kids were so cute.
Thanks, and yes, those two are really good together.
ShiroiHikari (post: 1487454) wrote:Doc, you are making me want to see X even more than I already did. I know a lot of people who are like "LOL IT GOT CANCELED SO IT OBVIOUSLY IS THE WORST GUNDAM SERIES". I love it when people talk crap about series they haven't even seen yet.
Yeah, wouldn't that make First Gundam the co-worst?

And, as you well know Shiroi, people dissing shows they haven't seen (or have seen very little of) is one of my bigger anime-fan pet peeves.

I'm really anticipating your report on Victory, btw. Can't wait!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:21 pm

So I saw the AGE trailer yesterday, and I thought it looked interesting. It looks quite a bit like Tezuka was referenced for the character designs.

On another separate note, the panel I went to made me want to take a look at the UC series of series, and see if I could get into Gundam that way maybe.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:39 pm

fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby battletech » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:58 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1488914) wrote:So I saw the AGE trailer yesterday, and I thought it looked interesting. It looks quite a bit like Tezuka was referenced for the character designs.

On another separate note, the panel I went to made me want to take a look at the UC series of series, and see if I could get into Gundam that way maybe.

Where was this panel? AX ? Just wondering.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:51 am

I am told that at Anime Expo this weekend it was said that Mobile Suit Gundam Complete Collection 1 DVD will be released September 13. ^_^

sauce

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 am

Double post because I am flipping out that this even exists at all and I need to share my joy with people that will understanndddd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmmMMQaJHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_bGJQDrrQ
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1488914) wrote:On another separate note, the panel I went to made me want to take a look at the UC series of series, and see if I could get into Gundam that way maybe.
UC Gundam is for sure the way to go. Instead of the first Gundam TV series, though, watch the Movie Trilogy. You get everything that Tomino intended to convey in a sleeker, shorter, better animated package.

I'd also like to know about the panel: title, who ran it, what was discussed, what clips were shown, etc.
ShiroiHikari (post: 1489238) wrote:Double post because I am flipping out that this even exists at all and I need to share my joy with people that will understanndddd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmmMMQaJHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_bGJQDrrQ
After a long night of riding in a car, this is just what I needed. Thank you.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby battletech » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:49 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1489670) wrote:I'd also like to know about the panel: title, who ran it, what was discussed, what clips were shown, etc.After a long night of riding in a car, this is just what I needed. Thank you.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2011/anime-expo/16

This is the best I could do. Took a long time to find this.
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:10 am

That pretty much covers it. I couldn't remember much of what was talked about because, frankly, I didn't have a clue and they were flashing between series pretty darn quick in the discussion.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:42 am

Okay, Gundam AGE is looking pretty hot here

blkmage

Postby Agloval » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:59 am

ANN have a video up called 'Inside Sunrise' (I think this link ought to work), and the middle third is about Gundam. Nothing particularly earthshaking I think, but it does contain some comments on the decisions they have to make about which kinds of viewer they're going to appeal to. (The first third of the video's about Tiger & Bunny, and the last is Sunrise's president talking about the company's history and anime's future.)

Also there's some footage of things they were working on for Gundam Unicorn when the tour was filmed.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 am

blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:40 pm

That was awesome.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheBigSpeigs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:24 pm

I really wanna start watching the Gundam series. I've never really watched much mecha anime and seeing the huge library of Gundam titles gives me leaves me so many choices. where should I start? The original Mobile Suit or somewhere else?
TheBigSpeigs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 pm

TheBigSpeigs (post: 1496464) wrote:Where should I start?
The answer to that question depends on how you answer the following question: Can you enjoy old anime? More specifically, does old and/or cheap animation and a decidedly un-modern method of storytelling bother you?

If the answer is no, then I would advise starting with the Universal Century Gundam stuff. First, you should see the original Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy rather than the TV series. The TV series got cancelled earlier than expected, so Tomino had to rush the ending. However, in the compilation movies he gets across all the ideas he originally intended with the TV series, you don't miss anything significant plot-wise, the animation is improved a bit, and the DVD is good value for money. From there, you'll want to proceed to Zeta Gundam (which is my personal favorite) and Char's Counterattack.

If your answer to the question is yes, then, as much as it pains me, I'd say not to start with the original but with one of the newer Alternate Universe shows like Gundam 00 or even Gundam Unicorn, which, though it takes place in the Universal Century timeline, is meant to be newbie friendly. If you enjoy the newer shows enough, perhaps you will be able to tolerate going back to the older Gundam series at some stage.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 am

For a newer one, I'd go with 00 and not Unicorn. Or something in between like 08th MS Team.
blkmage

Postby TheBigSpeigs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:44 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1496465) wrote:The answer to that question depends on how you answer the following question: Can you enjoy old anime? More specifically, does old and/or cheap animation and a decidedly un-modern method of storytelling bother you?

If the answer is no, then I would advise starting with the Universal Century Gundam stuff. First, you should see the original Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy rather than the TV series. The TV series got cancelled earlier than expected, so Tomino had to rush the ending. However, in the compilation movies he gets across all the ideas he originally intended with the TV series, you don't miss anything significant plot-wise, the animation is improved a bit, and the DVD is good value for money. From there, you'll want to proceed to Zeta Gundam (which is my personal favorite) and Char's Counterattack.

I usually enjoy old anime, and as long as I can tell whats happening, any kind of animation is okay with me. I found the movie trilogy for about 20 bucks so I'll probably pick that up. Thanks for the heads up on the original series being cancelled early, I hate it when series are cancelled before they reach their full potential.

The only other Gundam I ever watched was back on Toonami when I was little and I can't remember the name at all ( the main character had a sword I think?). I remember enjoying it though.

The only Gundam I've heard bad about is Gundam SEED, and I'm not sure if that's warranted since I haven't seen it :P
TheBigSpeigs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:22 pm

TheBigSpeigs (post: 1496545) wrote:I usually enjoy old anime, and as long as I can tell whats happening, any kind of animation is okay with me. I found the movie trilogy for about 20 bucks so I'll probably pick that up. Thanks for the heads up on the original series being cancelled early, I hate it when series are cancelled before they reach their full potential.

The only other Gundam I ever watched was back on Toonami when I was little and I can't remember the name at all ( the main character had a sword I think?). I remember enjoying it though.

The only Gundam I've heard bad about is Gundam SEED, and I'm not sure if that's warranted since I haven't seen it :P
Good man.

You will be happy to know that Zeta Gundam is legally streaming, subbed only on CrunchyRoll, dubbed on youtube. So, you've got 2 parts of the UC trinity already =).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Amuro Ray wrote:This...this is what we're fighting against?!

So guys, I've finally gotten around to joining all you Gundam people and watched the first film in the 0079 trilogy. That was certainly impressive. A lot of the battles had an edge the TV series lacked, and it was a pretty spectacular watch. One thing that really impressed me was how much ground they'd covered. I'd seen the first four episodes of the TV series, so I was wondering how they were going to cover the entire show with only three films, but holy crap, the pacing was pretty impressive.

One side detail I liked was that Amuro's RX-78 was not the only one the Federation had built, so it wasn't like they'd planned on making one Uber Prototype and would destroy the Zeon fleets with just it. I also liked that the Guncannon and Guntank weren't completely useless, though I would have preferred them to be the same unit instead of two separate ones, but I guess kids don't want the same toy twice. I wasn't quite sure how into the battles I'd get until they landed and things had reached a much more epic scale, at which point it became pretty awesome.

So I'm impressed, and I definitely am looking forward to the rest of the 0079 trilogy.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews