Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Cadence (post: 1455398) wrote:So, any recommendations for good titles that are available legally in the USA? I am open to just about any genre (except romance and romantic comedies). My favorites are probably fantasy, sci-fi, and slice-of-boring. As far as content goes, I avoid anything potentially R-rated. Excessive violence, fan service, language, and sexual content will definitely turn me away.

Tsubasa Chronicles might interest you. It is fantasy, with some romance. I think the content card fits for what you'd like. But you'd have to fill in the gaps in the story with the manga. I think AnimeGirl has some reviews of the series and the OVAs...
http://breakingmetalwindows.blogspot.com/2010/11/tsubasa-spring-thunder-chronicles-ova.html
http://breakingmetalwindows.blogspot.com/2010/11/tsubasa-tokyo-revelations-ova-series.html
http://breakingmetalwindows.blogspot.com/2009/12/tsubasa-reservoir-chronicles-gathering.html

(though she doesn't have a review for the entire TRC series, she has seen it.)

Galaxy Express 999- it's older but definitely would be up your alley (can be seen on CR)
The Wings of Honneamise- worth your time if you can find a copy
Atria35

Postby jsav777 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, still figuring things out, but here's some anime I saw listed on netflix instant watching that looked pretty interesting. Could you tell me if they're any good, content/ quality-wise? Thanks!
Jyu-Oh-Sei
Basilisk
Dokkoida?
jsav777

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Hahahaha! Jyu-oh-Sei. I love Jyu-Oh-Sei. xD

For the most part it's fairly clean. It has some awkward "mating" conversations. One of the characters does not understand when the MC says "no" when she says she wants him as her mate. Because that just isn't done, and it's discussed. But it's all naivety, not there just for crude humor. It's just there. As for violence, it gets a little bloody near the end. (World of killer plants) Not super, super bad. Basically some people get eaten by a plant and there is a mini-waterfall of red that follows. I think there aren't mutilated bodies shown, though I could be wrong.

Quality-wise. The first half or so of the English dub is really bad, when everyone is a little kid. :oops: The second half isn't bad. It's kind of cheesy, b-rated science fiction, but it is not void of quality. =) (But I got the series for $3 so my expectations weren't particularly high.) It's fun and short.

I don't know anything about the other two. :/

BTW: Nice to meet another Narnia fan! And I didn't say this earlier, oops! Welcome to CAA. =)
MightiMidget

Postby jsav777 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:07 pm

cool, I think I'll watch it thanks. Oh and thanks for the welcome! =]
jsav777

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 pm

jsav777 (post: 1455494) wrote:Dokkoida?

I hadn't heard of this before. A quick look at MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1837/Dokkoida) shows in the pic that one girl is going to be fanservice. But I have absolutely no idea about the content or anything. It's not a well-known title at all.
Atria35

Postby jsav777 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Atria35 wrote:I hadn't heard of this before. A quick look at MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1837/Dokkoida) shows in the pic that one girl is going to be fanservice. But I have absolutely no idea about the content or anything. It's not a well-known title at all.

Hmmm I never noticed that in that in the picture, thanks for pointing that out, probably won't be watching that then, I can't really take much fanservice
jsav777

Postby PonderingChibi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 am

Hi! (sorry if I just got in the way of a current conversation) I can never tell what types of animes interest me, because they're all so different, so it makes it hard to find new ones to watch that I'll enjoy. I also don't really know where to look for new animes. I generally prefer no higher than a 14+ age rating. here a few animes that I've strongly enjoyed: Tegami Bachi, Hetalia, Code Geass, Mamotte! Lollipop, Darker than Black, Durarara, Yumeiro Patissiere, Shugo Chara, Fullmetal Alchemist, and though I'm only 50 out of 201 episodes into Gintama, I like that too. Thank you!
PonderingChibi

Postby Cadence » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, Falx and Atria! I'll definitely look into these.

I ordered the first half of Aria the Natural several weeks ago...I finally got a shipping notice today, so it should be here pretty soon. I can't wait. =)
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby jsav777 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:04 pm

MightiMidget wrote:Hahahaha! Jyu-oh-Sei. I love Jyu-Oh-Sei. xD

For the most part it's fairly clean. It has some awkward "mating" conversations. One of the characters does not understand when the MC says "no" when she says she wants him as her mate. Because that just isn't done, and it's discussed. But it's all naivety, not there just for crude humor. It's just there. As for violence, it gets a little bloody near the end. (World of killer plants) Not super, super bad. Basically some people get eaten by a plant and there is a mini-waterfall of red that follows. I think there aren't mutilated bodies shown, though I could be wrong.

Quality-wise. The first half or so of the English dub is really bad, when everyone is a little kid. :oops: The second half isn't bad. It's kind of cheesy, b-rated science fiction, but it is not void of quality. =) (But I got the series for $3 so my expectations weren't particularly high.) It's fun and short.

I don't know anything about the other two. :/

BTW: Nice to meet another Narnia fan! And I didn't say this earlier, oops! Welcome to CAA. =)

Wow Jyu-Oh-Sei was really good! thanks for the recommendation. The only thing is I wish it was longer :)
jsav777

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:16 pm

jsav777 (post: 1455911) wrote:Wow Jyu-Oh-Sei was really good! thanks for the recommendation. The only thing is I wish it was longer :)

Yay! I'm happy to hear you liked it. :grin:
MightiMidget

Postby jsav777 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Does anyone know if vandread is any good? I'm almost done Fruits Basket, and I might watch that next. I haven't seen a review up yet so I'm not sure.
jsav777

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 pm

jsav777 (post: 1456631) wrote:Does anyone know if vandread is any good? I'm almost done Fruits Basket, and I might watch that next. I haven't seen a review up yet so I'm not sure.
I would describe it at a decent sci-fi comedy w/ harem and mecha elements. You could do worse. There is a fair bit of fan service. But that should be expected since the comedic premise of the show is that women and men, having at some point become separate races isolated from one another, are suddenly reunited (What are these? They feel soft. Hyuck, hyuck.).

Review of Season One
Review of Season Two
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby jsav777 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:09 pm

TheSubtleDoctor wrote:I would describe it at a decent sci-fi comedy w/ harem and mecha elements. You could do worse. There is a fair bit of fan service. But that should be expected since the comedic premise of the show is that women and men, having at some point become separate races isolated from one another, are suddenly reunited (What are these? They feel soft. Hyuck, hyuck.).

Review of Season One
Review of Season Two

Hmmm do have any suggestions of a better quality sci-fi comedy? I don't really know many
jsav777

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:38 am

jsav777 (post: 1456642) wrote:Hmmm do have any suggestions of a better quality sci-fi comedy? I don't really know many

Tetsuwan Birdy Decode (also known as Birdy the Mighty Decode)- while her outfit may be considered fairly revealing, it's just.... there. No boob shots, no panty shots, it's surprisingly clean. But it also goes into 'drama' territory in the later episodes.

Planetes- there's very little/pretty much no fanservice in this, and it's rather laid back. It also has some drama in it, but it's very good.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:54 am

Rahxephon is a confusing story at times, but the music is beautiful! I'd also recommend Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, or Silent Mobius.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:43 am

jsav777 (post: 1456642) wrote:Hmmm do have any suggestions of a better quality sci-fi comedy? I don't really know many
I second all of the above recommendations. I will also add a few.

Level-E is a currently airing series. I like it a lot, and I find the comedy is much funnier than Vandread's overall. New episodes premiere each Monday on Crunchyroll.

Fantastic Children is an excellent sci-fi mystery.

Infinite Ryvius has been described as Lord of the Flies in space, but it really is a much deeper character study than Golding's classic novel.

Noein: to Your Other Self is a cool little show that, in addition to being a solid drama, explores interesting ideas about quantum mechanics and travel between parallel universes.

If you're looking for the darker side of sci-fi, try Serial Experiments Lain or Casshern Sins.

If you're interested in some of the classics of the genre, see Captain Harlock or the Space Battleship Yamato Movie.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby That Dude » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:55 pm

"Nadesico." One of the alltime best sci-fi comedies. I guarantee it!

Also you could check out "Irresponsible Captian Tylor." It's one of the alltime classics of the genre and Nadesico borrows from it quite a bit but from the little I've seen of ICT I enjoy Nadesico much more.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:07 am

I'd like to know the content of "Kaze no Stigma" and "Glass Fleet". I have been interested in checking this out, but I'd like to know the level of possibly objectional content there is. Like how much sexual content is there? How violent does it get? Anything offensive religously? Is swearing mild, or frequent?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby That Dude » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:07 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1457356) wrote:I'd like to know the content of "Kaze no Stigma" and "Glass Fleet". I have been interested in checking this out, but I'd like to know the level of possibly objectional content there is. Like how much sexual content is there? How violent does it get? Anything offensive religously? Is swearing mild, or frequent?

I don't know about Kaze, but "Glass Fleet" I could only make it through one episode. It's not that well done...I don't remember much objectionable stuff, but it was a chore just watching that one episode.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Rock suggested Cowboy Bebop, and although it is good quality (apparently, I didn't like it, but a ton of people do) I would recommend reading the review first. It has some nudity and sexual themes now and then. And some of it really did not need to be there. :)
MightiMidget

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:31 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1457356) wrote:I'd like to know the content of "Kaze no Stigma" and "Glass Fleet". I have been interested in checking this out, but I'd like to know the level of possibly objectional content there is. Like how much sexual content is there? How violent does it get? Anything offensive religously? Is swearing mild, or frequent?
I've heard Kaze no Stigma is about as mediocre as mediocre gets.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby jsav777 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:53 pm

AnimeGirl wrote:I'd like to know the content of "Kaze no Stigma" and "Glass Fleet". I have been interested in checking this out, but I'd like to know the level of possibly objectional content there is. Like how much sexual content is there? How violent does it get? Anything offensive religously? Is swearing mild, or frequent?

I haven't seen Glass Feet, but I watched a couple episodes of Kaze no Stigma. There's violence but it's mostly hand to hand or magic fights (there's a little blood, but it's rare). In the episodes I watched there was a some fanservice and innuendos, but it's all played for humor. I've been meaning to watch some more the series, but I read there was some worse fanservice later on so I decided to wait until it I could find anyone who knew about it. The only bad religion I can think of is the fact they use magic, but it's more like Avatar than dark magic kind of stuff. There was some fairly frequent language but nothing too harsh.
jsav777

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Alright, I have about nine shows I need to ask about.
I know I've asked about some of them before... but I'm just double checking.
(I'd forgotten about a couple of them since it takes me so long to watch just one show.)

I need to know about fanservice/religion/violence/etc for;

Rurouni Kenshin.
Ah! My Goddess.
Lost Universe.
His and Her Circumstances.
Kimikiss Pure Rouge.
Shugo Chara!.
Gakuen Alice.
Yumeiro Patisserie.
Bamboo Blade.

If I could get answers for all of these I would really appreciate it.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:06 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1457625) wrote:Rurouni Kenshin.
This website has a pretty accurate review of RK in the archives.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 pm

His and Her Circumstances - safe
Kimikiss Pure Rouge - servicey iirc
Shugo Chara! - safe magical girl
Yumeiro Patisserie - children's show about baking
Bamboo Blade - pretty safe iirc
blkmage

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:34 pm

TSD@: I know that, just making sure so that my sister has peace of mind. :dizzy:
-
I have no idea what iirc means... sorry.
and how servicey is kimikiss?

Also, I'd like to know about SDF macross? (fanservice/etc) I like mecha shows so... it looked kind of interesting and I saw some one on here talking about it.

Thank you for replying. :jump:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:37 pm

IIRC = if I recall correctly

Macross has at least one shower scene of Minmay early on. And Roy Focker has a poster of a naked chick in his room. I don't think there was any blood...some people die though.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:29 pm

A shower scene huh... (yuck) Umm, how often does that occur? and does it show anything..? other then that does it have anything else?

Still need to know about;

Ah! My Goddess.
Lost Universe.
His and Her Circumstances.
Kimikiss Pure Rouge. (as asked before, how fanservicey?)
Gakuen Alice.
Bamboo Blade. (mostly safe means... what?)

Thanks for your time!
AngelicTotoro

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:33 pm

I know the shower scene occurs in the first handful of episodes. It's when Minmay and Hikaru are trapped in the depths of the ship. I think they may have a flashback to the scene later in the series, but it's been ages since I saw it, so I can't remember. It shows a rear view of her and her boobs. The naked chick poster in Roy's room just shows boobs.

For Ah My Goddess do you mean the OAVs or the TV series? I can help on the OAVs, but not the TV series.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Detailed or not...? (if it's detailed then forget it, dropped.)

I mean the tv series.
AngelicTotoro

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews