Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:33 pm

steenajack (post: 1448632) wrote:Could someone tell me about the content in the OVA series Muto? It looks interesting, but I want to make sure there isn't a lot of sexual/fanservice stuff in i before I view it.

Are you asking about Munto? If so, it's really quite clean. The only thing I remember is one of the characters had very slightly revealing clothes, and they were tame. It's been a while, but I don't remember more than that...I haven't heard of an anime called Muto though...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby steenajack » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm

That Dude (post: 1448765) wrote:Are you asking about Munto? If so, it's really quite clean. The only thing I remember is one of the characters had very slightly revealing clothes, and they were tame. It's been a while, but I don't remember more than that...I haven't heard of an anime called Muto though...

Yes! Munto! Sorry, typo. XD! But thank you so much Dude!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby AngelicTotoro » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1445895) wrote:I've been thinking of watching Seto no Hanayome... But I'd like to know how much fanservice/bad religion/ect it has in it first.

(Also while watching the first episode of PreTear I noticed how they call the larva, 'demon larva'. Does the show have anything else like that? Anything worse? Or is that as bad as it gets?)

Anyone have an answer for me? Or should I just find out for myself...? :?:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:54 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1449380) wrote:Anyone have an answer for me? Or should I just find out for myself...? :?:

Well, I know that in the manga of Pretear, they don't even have those larvae (though the manga was only decent overall). I have no information on the other one.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Hmm, then I guess I should just continue watching PreTear.
Thanks for your help!

(*Is still waiting for a reply for Seto no Hanayome*)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Okay, I haven't seen the entirety of Seto no Hanayome, thus why I didn't respond earlier, but I'll tell you what I can. =) (I only got 4 episodes in before the headache it induced was not worth it :oops:)

Content: There are a lot of gay jokes and slapstick humor. The MC goes all gushy over another guy. I have a feeling there was more innuendo...but that is the only big thing I can remember. :( I'm sorry I can't give any more information!
MightiMidget

Postby That Dude » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Seta No Hanayome, I've only seen the first season, but there was a decent amount of gay jokes, and a fair bit of fanservice, not a ton, but enough to be a bother. As far as bad religion, I don't remember any at all.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby bunnygalxoxo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:17 am

[quote="White_Rose (post: 1097386)"]Honestly, I did not know there was a thread like this for manga requests. I was -at the time- trying to request manga.
But having said that, please pretend my post was requesting anime purely]

i used to love the mechancholy of haruhi suzumiya- before i becamse a christian, now i just find it hard to watch when haruhi is presented as 'God'..
bunnygalxoxo

Postby impact777 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 am

Hi!
I have some questions concerning the anime Pale Cocoon. Now my usual questions. ^^ Would you recommend it? Is there any bad content in it, like bad religion? :)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:49 am

Pale Cocoon I don't think has any swearing, no sexual content, and no gore--though it's a smidgen intense? It's not necessarily "violent." As for bad religion, I don't think there's any, because I don't remember religion even being mentioned. :)
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:10 pm

^ What MightiMidget said. I totally recommend it. There's no swearing, or if there was it was one word. No sexual content. No gore or blood or violence. No sex.
Atria35

Postby impact777 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Perfect! :) Thank you MM and Atria!
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:08 pm

I've got a couple of questions about Kemono no Souja Erin.
I need to know about spiritual/sexual/violance/etc.
Thanks!
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1452476) wrote:I've got a couple of questions about Kemono no Souja Erin.
I need to know about spiritual/sexual/violance/etc.
Thanks!

Spiritual.... I don't recall anything religiously bad in the series. Religion isn't mentioned. Oh! Wait- Erin does see her mother and adopted father in her dream, once or twice in the series. They're telling her to move on, it's all right to do so, and that they loved her. No sexual content. No nudity. Next to no language- I think there might be one utterance of the D-word, but that's it. Violence is light- there is a part in the series where [spoiler]her mother is executed, by being stabbed in the side and tossed into a feeding area for the lizard creatures. This is very stylized- you only see the outline of it, with it blacked out, and her death is not seen.[/spoiler] All other violence is similarly hidden- usually the most you see is red on clothes.

Overall, I would put the age rating at 10 or 11. It's a very good series, and I higly recommend it.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Loved Princess Tutu.
Other quality magical girl shows?
Legally streaming, please.
My Anime List.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1452644) wrote:Loved Princess Tutu.

I have no idea if it's legally streaming, but Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is considered pretty good. You could also try the Ah! My Goddess tv series.
Mai-Hime is considered really good, but there is some shoujo-ai.

But other than those.... nope.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1452644) wrote:Loved Princess Tutu.
My Anime List.

Shugo Chara is basically the only one streaming, but I don't know if you'll necessarily like that because it actually is straight-up magical girl.

Beyond that, if you want to go to the quintessential magical girl show, that would be Card Captor Sakura. For more trope subversion, there's Revolutionary Girl Utena, (which I believe is out of print), which also talks about things like gender roles and such. There's also Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, which is a far more action-oriented magical girl show, to the point of lifting mecha tropes.

As for unlicensed stuff, there's all of PreCure, which people seem to like and Madoka, which is airing right now. There's also Sailor Moon if you want to go further back, but to the good version.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:42 pm

I can't vouch for it's quality since I haven't seen it, but the very first Pretty Cure series is also available on the legal streaming sites.

But, yeah, isn't Princess Tutu supposed to be pretty unique compared to the average magical girl show?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Seto_Sora » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Princess Tutu is insanely unique. I sometimes have a hard time figuring it out, but definitely fascinating.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Having followed HeartCatch PreCure pretty closely this season, I can attest to its quality if you're into magical girl shows.

Except for the Super Silhouette thing, but that's a minor nitpick. Well...sort of minor anyway.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby PonderingChibi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 pm

I can't find many consistencies between the animes that end up as my favorites, but maybe you could find some and/or recommend a few that I might like? I usually prefer 13+, plz
these have been my favorites out of the ones I've watched(not in any particular order):
Tegami Bachi
Code Geass
Hetalia
Durarara!!
Tales of the Abyss
Shugo Chara
and though I'm only 20 eps in, I really like Bleach.
and though I'm only 44 eps in, I like Gintama a lot, too.

Also, if you recommend one, can you plz say how much violence, language, bad religion, nudity, etc. is in it?
PonderingChibi

Postby jsav777 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I've fairly recently gotten into anime and have been looking for a good movie or series to watch. I like action or thought provoking anime. not really into romance stuff. no nudity or stuff like that either. fullmetal panic: second raid, kaze no stigma and soul eater looked interesting to me too but i don't know how they are content-wise.
I really liked:
Samurai 7
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Noein
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Last Exile
Mushishi
Origin: Spirits of the Past

Didn't Really Like:
Angelic Layer
Dragon Ball
Naruto
Bleach
Street fighter
Halo Legends
jsav777

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Soul Eater is not particularly clean for the first ten episodes. It has a lot of fanservice ("Fanservice - anything perverted added to a show merely to please the coarse audience. Example: a "convenient" camera angle that emphasis a female's anatomy, a sudden unexplained event that rips off clothing, etc." --CAA Glossary) in the forms of breast jokes. There is also some almost-nudity with Blair, who is on a mission to make everyone as uncomfortable as she can it appears. Nosebleeds ensue. After the first ten episodes, however, most of, if not all, of that goes away. It's a very fun action show, though it's not very deep. But it is very stylized and just plain cool to look at. Maybe youtube the opening credits, and see what you think from that? It shows what you'd be getting into action, style and even somewhat content wise.

Ergo Proxy is action and thought-provoking, though it does have a couple scenes of almost-nudity. It is shaded and not sexual, however. Serial Experiments Lain is another one solidly for thought-provoking, though it is not action-oriented. At all. Also think it may have some undetailed nudity, but I don't remember. :/ There's a review for it ---> Here

Also, I haven't seen it, but 5 Centimeters Per Second is also by Shinkai, who made Place Promised in Our Early Days, and I've heard nothing but glowing about it. =)
MightiMidget

Postby jsav777 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:04 pm

thanks I'm gonna have to check out 5 centimeters per second it looks pretty good. Do you anything like Samurai 7? I love anime with swords and stuff like that too.
jsav777

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:11 pm

jsav777 (post: 1455240) wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I've fairly recently gotten into anime and have been looking for a good movie or series to watch. I like action or thought provoking anime.

Man, I would totally recommend Summer Wars, but there is some partial (non-sexual) nudity.

Paranoia Agent is good for thought-provoking, even though it can be confusing.
FMA: Brotherhood is a must-see. There is some *slight* romance, but overall, the story is full of action and thought-provoking.
Cowboy Bebop is pretty darn good, too, on that front. Faye Valentine is pretty fanservicey with her outfits, but that's never emphasized too much.
Ergo Proxy- A must-see for thought-provoking, but does have stretches without action.
Mushishi- again, thought-provoking. It does deal with supernatural stuff, but is an excelent overall series.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:52 pm

jsav777 (post: 1455240) wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I've fairly recently gotten into anime and have been looking for a good movie or series to watch. I like action or thought provoking anime. not really into romance stuff. no nudity or stuff like that either. fullmetal panic: second raid, kaze no stigma and soul eater looked interesting to me too but i don't know how they are content-wise.
I really liked:
Samurai 7
Noein
Last Exile
Mushishi

Didn't Really Like:
Angelic Layer
Dragon Ball
Naruto
Bleach
Street fighter
Halo Legends

Sword of The Stranger. Rent it in Blu-ray. If you don't have a Blu-ray player, rent one just so you can watch it on Blu-ray.

Baccano might be right up your alley as well. Eureka 7 too. Ghost in The Shell's series might also be worth looking into.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 pm

jsav777 (post: 1455240) wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I've fairly recently gotten into anime and have been looking for a good movie or series to watch. I like action or thought provoking anime. not really into romance stuff. no nudity or stuff like that either. fullmetal panic: second raid, kaze no stigma and soul eater looked interesting to me too but i don't know how they are content-wise.
I really liked:
Samurai 7
Noein
Last Exile
Mushishi

Didn't Really Like:
Angelic Layer
Dragon Ball
Naruto
Bleach
Street fighter
Halo Legends

Oh! And Kino's Journey! It's kind of Mushishi-like in vibe...very philosophical, and sometimes action, sometimes not.

As for recommendations like Samurai 7 or things with swords, I'm sorry, I can't think of anything. :oops: I haven't seen Samurai 7, and haven't seen much sword-play anime.
MightiMidget

Postby jsav777 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks for all your suggestions, they all look great!
jsav777

Postby Cadence » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:02 am

Hey CAA! Cadence is turning to you for some help...

Lately, I haven’t been able to find anything that has kept my interest for more than a few episodes, and so my anime watching has mostly been re-watches of shows I already know I love. Which isn’t a bad thing, but I am up for something new.

So, any recommendations for good titles that are available legally in the USA? I am open to just about any genre (except romance and romantic comedies). My favorites are probably fantasy, sci-fi, and slice-of-boring. As far as content goes, I avoid anything potentially R-rated. Excessive violence, fan service, language, and sexual content will definitely turn me away.

Here’s a link to MyAnimeList. It’s not up to date yet, but it will give you some idea of the kinds of things I like. (Yeah...I really like Studio Ghibli).
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Falx » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 am

I see you already have two of the three ARIA series on your plan to watch list, you should start on all three as soon as possible.

Also, watch Sketchbook FullColourS~
Hidamari Sketch is also a staple of the Slice-of-life genre.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews