Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Cadence » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:52 am

Everything Falx said. =)

If you aren't against slow paced and quiet series, I'm going to toss Natsume Yuujinchou out there as well, since you seem to have seen and enjoyed basically everything else by Brains Base...
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:53 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1444546) wrote:And I absolutely will not stop.
What would you say if I told you that I own both a Last Exile mouse pad, and...wait for it...an ALVIS FIGURE!

OK, so I didn't go out and buy them on their own. They came w/ the box set, but still...I do own them.
---
@ Hat: Some legal, streaming shows you'd like!

First thing that jumps out: Eden of the friggan East. Watch it. blkmage will like you.

If you feel up for good shounen, Hikaru no Go. I know you will love this if you give it a a chance.

If you're in the mood for slice of life, Cross Game. See the tourney thread for my bit about this.

Action/drama you ask? Gankutsuou.

Just a fun adventure movie? Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro.

Mood piece? House of Five Leaves.

Over-the-top Gurren Lagann-esque-ness? Sengoku Basara

Interstellar cop show Fish and Mech really like? Birdy the Might Decode.

90s sci-fi western show that will make you laugh then make you cry? Trigun.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:43 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1444752) wrote:So guys, after almost two months of not watching anime, I've decided I'd like to watch something new. Here's my MAL if you need to know what I want to watch. I'm not picky about genre, I'll watch anything if it's good.
You already know what I'm going to recommend.

Go watch it. Don't come back until you do. You know which one.
TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1444953) wrote:What would you say if I told you that I own both a Last Exile mouse pad, and...wait for it...an ALVIS FIGURE!

OK, so I didn't go out and buy them on their own. They came w/ the box set, but still...I do own them.
I'd honestly be more impressed to hear you actually watched Last Exile recently and still thought I was wrong.

The biggest trend I've noticed in the people here who adamantly defend Last Exile, aside from repeatedly asserting, "It's beautiful," is that none of them have watched it in forever. But! They remember liking it! So, obviously, Fish is a hater. Even though his thoughts on Last Exile are fresh and recent in his mind. Oh man you guys, that Fish, just the kind of guy to poison a good thing.

Not once - not once - has any of my criticism of Last Exile, a show I maintain is not merely bad, but perhaps the worst show I have ever seen, been countered by anything beyond, "You're wrong, I loved Last Exile."
Fish and Chips

Postby Roz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:07 am

I'd honestly be more impressed to hear you actually watched Last Exile recently and still thought I was wrong.

The biggest trend I've noticed in the people here who adamantly defend Last Exile, aside from repeatedly asserting, "It's beautiful," is that none of them have watched it in forever. But! They remember liking it! So, obviously, Fish is a hater. Even though his thoughts on Last Exile are fresh and recent in his mind. Oh man you guys, that Fish, just the kind of guy to poison a good thing.

Not once - not once - has any of my criticism of Last Exile, a show I maintain is not merely bad, but perhaps the worst show I have ever seen, been countered by anything beyond, "You're wrong, I loved Last Exile."

Wow. I was having a wonderful day until I read this.

On topic though, thanks all for the recommendations! Can anyone tell me if Summer Wars is any good? And does anyone feel strongly about The Irresponsible Captain Tylor?
Roz

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 am

Roz (post: 1445007) wrote:Wow. I was having a wonderful day until I read this.
What a coincidence.

So was I.
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:31 am

Roz wrote:And does anyone feel strongly about The Irresponsible Captain Tylor?

I do, I do! It's really a fantastic show and definitely worth watching. It gets recommended by me.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Roz (post: 1445007) wrote:Can anyone tell me if Summer Wars is any good?

IT IS A WONDERFUL MOVIE. Seriously, it is one of the best anime movies out there right now. I thought it was better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and I rated that one a 10!
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:11 pm

Sorry for the double-post- I'm going to be taking advantage of RIghtstuf's sale, so I'm considering

Pretear complete collection
Angelic Layer complete collection
X'amd DVD collections 1 and 2
Mushishi DVD set (minus the movie)
Texhnolyze My Beautiful Girl Mari/A Tree of Palme DVD Double Pack
Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU complete collection

I've only seen Mushishi and loved it, so I think that's going on my short list. Anyone got any info/suggestions on the others? I can't buy them all! Feel free to check out my MAL list if you want to take a peek at the anime that I like (and don't, for that matter).

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sweetpea
Atria35

Postby Falx » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Xam'd is pretty good, although not quite up to par with Bones usual story-telling. It bears very strong similarity to Eureka 7.

FMP:Fumoffu! is an utterly hilarious comedy... depending on how tolerant you are of the fanservice in one of the episodes. You never actually see anything, there's always a convenient something in the way (like a rubber duckie o_O) but leaves precious little to the imagination. It's not ALL fanservice ALL the time, it's really only one episode, but yeah.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:05 am

^ Thanks, Falx. I don't mind fanservice if the heavy stuff is contained to about one episode (I liked Tatami Galaxy, even with Ep. 4), so I think FMP will go on my short list, too.

I can't afford X'amd if I'm getting FMP! Fuu and Mushishi, though, so that's off the list.

Anyone have any opinions on the other shows?
To relist:

Pretear complete collection
Angelic Layer complete collection
Texhnolyze My Beautiful Girl Mari/A Tree of Palme DVD Double Pack

short buying list:
Mushishi collection
FMP! Fuu complete collection
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1444972) wrote:You already know what I'm going to recommend.

Go watch it. Don't come back until you do. You know which one.
Uh, Giant Robo? I'd watch it in a heartbeat if I had the money to buy it.

EDIT:And thanks guys. I think I'm going to go check out Eden of the East now.

EDIT2:AS EotE is rated M and I'm a mere 16, I'm going to go watch Birdy the Mighty.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm

I've been thinking of watching Seto no Hanayome... But I'd like to know how much fanservice/bad religion/ect it has in it first.

(Also while watching the first episode of PreTear I noticed how they call the larva, 'demon larva'. Does the show have anything else like that? Anything worse? Or is that as bad as it gets?)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:19 am

Hey everybody. :) So I'm thinking of trying to find some new anime... The stuff on my "plan to watch list" is mostly a mesh of stuff I've heard of/that's been recommended to me awhile back and so I'm not sure how much of it I'd be into. And so, I'm thinking of re-watching some of my favorite titles and then deciding exactly what I'm looking for.

As a whole, I'm into more dark, melancholy, and gothic types of anime... And some shonen. But I don't let this keep me from enjoying some more lighthearted shojo like Ouran, Fruits Basket, and Shugo Chara!

Here's my MAL if you wanna see what I've watched so far: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/mysngoeshere56

Overall, I still like most of the things I've watched in the past... I'd say my top ten would be...

1. D.N.Angel
2. Tsubasa Chronicle/xxxHOLiC
3. Vampire Knight
4. Kanon (2006)
5. FMA
6. Wolf's Rain
7. Shugo Chara!
8. Darker Than Black
9. Bleach
10. Ouran High School Host Club

Fruits Basket would likely be on the list if it kept on going and didn't have the abrupt ending that the manga didn't have.

Like I said - as a whole, I'm into the darker stuff, and more shonen/seinen than shojo/josei, but there are exceptions to my majority. I also like my titles to be more unique, because I like diversity in my shows... I don't feel like watching the same thing twice. This is pretty much why Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Shugo Chara! were the only magical girl shows I gave a good score to... They were all original, and everything else just reminded me too much of Sailor Moon or CCS. Or they were just too stereotypically frilly and feminine for my personal liking, as was the case with Wedding Peach. And even then, I only liked Sailor Moon *as a whole*, because certain characters were pretty annoying (Chibi Moon and the title character herself being the most guilty of this - Sailor Moon became a likable character in the last season though... and I *love* Sailor Pluto!).
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:39 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1447658) wrote:Hey everybody. :) So I'm thinking of trying to find some new anime...

Okay, looked at your MAL list, and I think that first and foremost I should recommend

Clannad and Clannad Afterstrory- If you liked Kanon, this is a must-see. Especially since the second season is where you get the drama and darker stuff. I do not recommend the movie.

Baccano!- there's action, adventure, and a bit of mystery. Definitely rated R for a reason- the violence is there and in-your-face.

Jigoku Shoujo- if you can deal with the Buddhist elements to this one, it's very dark, very engaging. Basically, if you log onto a website at midnight and type in a person's name that you want revenge on, Jigoku Shoujo appears and gives you a doll. Pull the string, and their sould goes to hell- at the price of your own. The first 8 episodes either will draw you in or turn you off- they're somewhat repetitive.

Kino's Journey- I see the movie on you list, but not the series. The series is definitely worth watch, as it reflects a lot of different societies she comes across and the various benefits/dangers/sorrows that come with them and the overall human condition. Very good.

Rainbow- a story about seven boys that end up in a boy's reformatory after the War. This is also R for a reason- two of the people are evil, one liking to beat and break the boys, the other who's a pedophile who rapes them. The rape (two scenes of this total) never gets really graphic, but is definitely implied, with some brief non-graphic shots of it happening. The violence is a bit more graphic, though.

And from your PTW list, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Haibane Renmei
Eve no Jikan

are amazing
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:03 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1447658) wrote:As a whole, I'm into more dark, melancholy, and gothic types of anime.
The following fit your criteria of being heavy, dark and often melancholy but have certain content issues; however, your MAL indicates that this isn't much of a problem. PM me if you have specific questions.

You can find most of these streaming legally.

Casshern Sins (you are in for a treat here)
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Ergo Proxy (finish it!)
Death Note
Claymore
Fantastic Children
Tetsujin 28-go (don't be fooled by the art style; it belies the show's melancholic feel)
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Sheol777 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:37 pm

[quote="TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1447735)"]The following fit your criteria of being heavy, dark and often melancholy but have certain content issues]

This was my suggestion as soon as I read your post.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks, you three! I'll have to look into these more. I got MAL a few years ago but stopped watching anime for a bit. I've gotten more picky and learned more of what I like (and don't like) as far as anime goes as the years have gone on, so I actually went through and re-did all my scores to fit how i feel about every individual title right before posting that recommendations request... I honestly can't tell you everything I have under my "Plan To Watch" list off the top of my head because that stuff changes every now and then, but I deleted several titles that didn't interest me much anymore awhile back so I think that's mostly true to my current taste.

I'll be sure to look into these titles! :) Especially Serial Experiments, if two people suggested/planned to suggest it.

@Atria - I think Clannad will definitely be something I'll look into. Why wouldn't you recommend the movie, though? Was there something inappropriate I should know about or did you just dislike it? (And I'll check out your other recommendations too, but the question was about Clannad, so that's why I just said Clannad. XD)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:50 pm

The Clannad movie is a subpar adaptation. Clannad and Clannad After Story covers the same story, but is adapted and produced much better.
blkmage

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Oh! So the Clannad movie's pretty much the same story that's in the series, but with a bunch of changes that really weren't for the better? I gotcha. I typically don't like movies that go in that sort of direction anyway.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:10 pm

I third the Serial Experiments Lain recommendation. :) It's absolutely amazing, though you have to pay attention real close to follow what's going on.

(and I meant to post earlier, but didn't so I'm posting anyways! xD )

07-Ghost -- is very angsty, but has these funky gothic elements in it that make it rather fun. =) It's by no means spectacular, but it is quite entertaining.

Legend of Legendary Heroes (Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu) -- okay, okay, the first episode gives an absolutely atrocious feel for the rest of the series. Really. It's actually a really good anime, even though the name is stupid and the first episode is like "um. sure." The first episode makes it look like b-rated, slaphappy cheesy anime, but after that it gets into a much darker story and different political and relational twists and turns. I really loved it, was my favorite thing of its season. As a warning though, the ending is only a great ending if it gets a second season.

I also second Kino's Journey which some stories are gothic, some are happy, but for the most part it maintains a consistent melancholy vibe.

as for shoujo, if you like Fruits Basket and Ouran, Kaichou wa Maid-Sama! is kind of in the same vibe of sense of humor and seems to be kind of poking fun at itself (though it's a little dirtier in humor). =)
MightiMidget

Postby impact777 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:30 am

Hi!
I have some questions concerning the anime/manga Gin Tama. Would you recommend it? Is there any bad content in it, like bad religion? Thanks Atria for the hint. ;)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Falx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:46 am

[quote="impact777 (post: 1448469)"]Hi!
I have some questions concerning the anime/manga Gin Tama. Would you recommend it? Is there any bad content in it, like bad religion? Thanks Atria for the hint. ]

Well there isn't any bad religion in it, and the fanservice is quite minimal with only the occasionally skimpy outfit.

The main issue you might have is that much of the humor is quite crude. Fart jokes/poop jokes/urine jokes/snot jokes/spit jokes and the frequent appearance of (thankfully censored by pixels) man-bits.

Other than that it's, actually amazingly good. The humor that doesn't rely on a dirty punchline will have you rolling on the floor and when it gets serious, which it does more often than you would think, it has some of the best action sequences I've seen in ages, and it's even adept at squeezing some tears out of you once in a while.

Kagura is my favorite character.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby impact777 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:53 am

Thank you Falx. That sounds quite interesting. ^^ I think I'll try it out.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby steenajack » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Could someone tell me about the content in the OVA series Muto? It looks interesting, but I want to make sure there isn't a lot of sexual/fanservice stuff in i before I view it.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Sebastian Michaelis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:18 pm

I need a new series after Sgt Frogs I have watched any anime mostly shonen and can anyone recommend an anime like the follow?

Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Ruroni(sp) Kenshin
Azumanga daioh

and besides that does anyone know a good site for dubbed anime? ^^
I am simply one hell of a butler-FKA MajorArmstrong-
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators
Sebastian Michaelis

Postby Falx » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:49 am

Major-Armstrong (post: 1448635) wrote:I need a new series after Sgt Frogs I have watched any anime mostly shonen and can anyone recommend an anime like the follow?

Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Ruroni(sp) Kenshin
Azumanga daioh

and besides that does anyone know a good site for dubbed anime? ^^

Soul Eater
Full Metal Alchemist
Fairy Tail
K-On!
Gun x Sword
Eureka 7

Falx

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:36 am

Major-Armstrong (post: 1448635) wrote:and besides that does anyone know a good site for dubbed anime? ^^

Older series tend to be shown in dub on the licensor's websites or Hulu. For Funi, if you click on a show's page, then scroll down to Sort and Language (right above the episode thumbnails), you can click on whether you'd like episodes in DUB only or SUB only. If you do the same for Hulu, it will also show on the show's page whether or not it has episodes in sub or dub.
Atria35

Postby Nanao » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 am

Atria35 (post: 1448694) wrote:Older series tend to be shown in dub on the licensor's websites or Hulu. For Funi, if you click on a show's page, then scroll down to Sort and Language (right above the episode thumbnails), you can click on whether you'd like episodes in DUB only or SUB only. If you do the same for Hulu, it will also show on the show's page whether or not it has episodes in sub or dub.

how do you get hulu to sort between SUB and DUB? i've been wishing it would do that, but have always had to go through and look manually.
Nanao

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:40 pm

risa (post: 1448722) wrote:how do you get hulu to sort between SUB and DUB? i've been wishing it would do that, but have always had to go through and look manually.

If you go to the show's page, right above the episode thumbnails you will see it say 'Subbed' or 'Dubbed'. This does depend on the show- for instance, they have both subtitles episodes and dubbed episodes labeled/shown on Ghost Hunt's page. They are clearly marked as such. On Jyu-Oh-Sei's page, it lists all the subtitled eps it has (they don't have any in dub). But for Full Metal Panc! The Second Raid, they only have them labeled as 'Episodes'.
Atria35

Postby Nanao » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:54 pm

yay! found it. thanks!

and i second the Fullmetal Alchemist suggestion :)
Nanao

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews