Writers seen turning to animation if strike long

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Writers seen turning to animation if strike long

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:35 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071107/film_nm/screenwriters_strike_animation_dc;_ylt=AmQ5TAg90VpXD.Kby95HKNlxFb8C

By Sue Zeidler Wed Nov 7, 6:46 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Cartoon characters may come to the aid of striking Hollywood screenwriters if the Writers Guild of America's two-day-old walkout turns out to be prolonged.

Most animated shows are covered by a different union from the Writers Guild and are unaffected by the WGA strike. In addition, the WGA has withdrawn objections to its members working in animation.

Some 12,000 WGA members went on strike against film and television studios on Monday, jeopardizing America's hit TV shows including some animated programs like "The Simpsons," which are covered under WGA contracts.

But many other animated films and TV shows are covered by a separate union whose members remain on the job, said Steven Hulett of the Animation Guild Local 839, part of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE).

The two guilds clashed recently when the WGA proposed a strike rule threatening members who entered a writing contract on animated features with fines and loss of membership. After protests, the WGA said the proposed rule was modified.

"Now writers can write for animated features," Hulett said, adding that many writers are still nervous. "I suspect we'll get more (calls) over the next few weeks, if the strike goes on for long."

"A GREAT RELATIONSHIP"

Hulett said various WGA members have made and renewed deals to work at DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. and other animation studios in recent weeks.

"We have a great relationship with animation writers under the IATSE and we are fortunate that it is business as usual for us," a DreamWorks spokeswoman said. "This means we can continue to offer opportunities to the writers with whom we've been working for some time now on existing DreamWorks Animation projects."

The Animation Guild also has pacts with animation divisions at Walt Disney Co, Time Warner Inc and Sony Corp.

"We have contracts with various animation studios, which could engage any number of Writers Guild writers legally during the strike," Hulett said.

One studio executive said while writers could seek work in animation, he did not expect big-name writers to risk the negative perception that may come with it.

"It's kind of like crossing the line," he said, noting that it might be seen as weakening the position of striking WGA members or competing with existing animation writers.

Some WGA veterans say writers will take their pens far and wide to earn a buck if the strike persists.

"I've been through five Writers Guild strikes and I've never been out of work during any of them," said WGA member Mark Evanier, 55, who is working on an animated "Garfield" series for Europe.

[color="Red"]
[font="Book Antiqua"]Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:08 am

Well, at least some of the writers will have the chance to keep working if they want to.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:23 am

I will be very happy if this creates some serious, prime time level American cartoons. I'd love to see what quality animation could come out of the big bucks spent on Prime Time TV.

While doing so now would be the opposite of what the writers are trying to do, I could see TV execs adding non-traditional shows to their line up when this is all over. By diversifying the types of shows, they would enable themselves to still turn a profit in times like these.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:37 am

hmm sounds interesting! It would be amazing if we got some GOOD american cartoons with actual storylines! (instead of episodic ones).
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby AsianBlossom » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:28 am

Yeah...I can't stand it when American cartoons go all weird and raunchy. That's why I don't watch adult cartoons (the closest I'll get is teenager-oriented anime, but even then there are some exceptions).

I think it would be fun writing for animation. I'm more of a writer myself and think that the writers should get credit for their work.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:30 pm

It's the LCD(Least Common Denominator)they write for the drunks and cokeheads.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:28 pm

I would find that encouraging if I was very impressed with prime time television. But for the moment I will assume I am merely overly cynical and perhaps this will lead to some improvement in the medium.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:25 pm

The writers that work for the animation industry are part of a separate Guild which is why they aren't on strike.
mitsuki lover

Return to General Entertainment