Movies you dislike

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Movies you dislike

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:22 am

I have a film that fits this category, and that is M. Night Shymalan's Lady in the Water. Of course realize I am not bashing people who perhaps enjoyed this movie. But I wish to express why I personally did not like it in a logical manner, based upon what I enjoy in movies.

I have some reasons why I do not like Lady in the Water. Watch out. Spoiler's ahead.

Point Number 1: I felt that M. Night attempted to put some sort of "philosophical moral" in this movie. And we all know this is true. Every person had a "role" or a "destiny". And that's not a bad theme to choose. Rather, the execution of this idea was what made it bad.

I believe that a philosophical theme/message should be subtle, thus forcing the viewer to delve into the meaning behind the film's theme. Lady in the Water does not accomplish this. You are spoon-fed everything, and forced to take things face value because that is all there is to take in. (Partially because this was written as a bedtime story for his children)

Point Number 2: The part where M. Night's character had the ability to persuade some future president into thinking differently. Unlike some other people, I don't really care if he cast himself as such a role. But I felt that this idea was random, and appeared out of nowhere. The movie could have still survived without this theme.

Point Number 3: That random chinese woman that played a korean lady. That was sooo weird. The whole time I was like "she's so chinese. She doesn't sound ONE bit korean." Her mother was played by a japanese actress, but she sounded pretty korean. (Korean and Japanese are more similar to each other in comparison to Korean and Chinese) Then the story the korean/chinese lady told. It wasn't very korean at all XD

Though this film had some good moments. Let me express that the cinematography was superb. Every shot was beautifully put. The lighting was also very well done. But the plot stank.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:01 am

This is a hard question for me; I tend to love good movies and the bad ones just filter out of my mind. Off the top of my head, here's a few....

• The Village. I loved Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs and I'm relatively neutral on The Lady in the Water, but I just found the village to be totally devoid of any redeeming feature (except maybe some tense moments and some good cinematography.

• Stander. André Stander is one of the most fascinating people to ever come out of South Africa. How can a film about a man, who became one of the youngest captain's in the South African Policeforce and who ends up five years later being gunned down a Florida policemen in Fort Lauderdale, be so boring? Although the movie has incredibly good parts, the otherwhelming feeling for me was that it depicted Stander wrong and somehow did not convey an accurate depiction of Apartheid Era South Africa at least not for me (despite the fact it was filmed in South Africa, which make this fault all the more staggering). It did have a well filmed depiction of a massacre in Soweto and Thomas Jane (the Punisher) actually managed an authentic-sounding accent (which is highly commendable!!) but still, the movie as a whole. Even the circumstances of Stander's death in Florida was changed to such a point that it does not make sense in the context of fictionalised version of the movie. In short, it sucked.
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:50 am

Final Fantasy Spirits Within.

REASON: I just didn't like it. XD
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Stephen » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:49 am

1. The Ring

Reason? Over-rated in every sence of the word. People hailed it as the best horror of our time. Then, if you were one of the few people who thought it was lame...well, then you were dumb. Seriously. I have had people tell me that if you were not scared during the Ring, you are a stupid person. So we now defend trash movies like this.

2. Anything done by Uwe Boll.

Reason? If you need a reason, slap yourself. Really hard. Then go watch somthing like Alone in the Dark. The man needs to be banned from making movies.
Stephen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Ark wrote:2. Anything done by Uwe Boll.

Reason? If you need a reason, slap yourself. Really hard. Then go watch somthing like Alone in the Dark. The man needs to be banned from making movies.

:lol: How could I forget that man. Go challenge him to a boxing match Ark!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Stephen » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:13 pm

Heh. Since you brought that up. Did you hear what went down there? He challenged these critics of his to boxing...claiming they would be trained. (Since he has done amature boxing before and is no slouch) And just lied, and beat the crap out of a bunch of rookie people. I guess he needs to feel better about himself. But heck, if I made one of his movies...I would need to feel better about myself somehow too...
Stephen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Ark wrote:Heh. Since you brought that up. Did you hear what went down there? He challenged these critics of his to boxing...claiming they would be trained. (Since he has done amature boxing before and is no slouch) And just lied, and beat the crap out of a bunch of rookie people. I guess he needs to feel better about himself. But heck, if I made one of his movies...I would need to feel better about myself somehow too...

LOL That's pretty funny.

Poor Uwe... that man needs to stop DIRECTING/WRITING/PRODUCING MOVIES.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby meboeck » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:25 pm

[bold]Kazaam.[/bold]

Point 1. Shaq cannot act.

Point 2. Horribly cliched story line with the city kid from a broken family.

Point 3. A genie in a boombox?

Point 4. Shaq cannot act.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:43 pm

Ya know. I actually watched Kazaam a long time ago. I thought it was okay XD Then again I was like 5 or 6 years old.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:08 pm

Million Dollar Baby

This movie, I felt, was one of the most manipulative, agenda-ridden, anti-Christian/moral, unbelievable, angering movies I have ever seen, without going into specifics.

:rant:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Angel37 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:11 pm

History of Violence and Aeon Flux.
They SUCKED. Random sex, crappy plot, and a HORRIBLE conclusion. Both movies had such promise too!
Angel37

Postby Sparrowhawk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:27 pm

I know I'm gonna get chewed out for saying this but...Napoleon Dynamite.
I know, I know... everyone else loves the movie, but here are my reasons.
1. No plot
2. Dumb Characters...that are not funny
3. No Plot
4. Wasted part of my life watching it.
5. No Plot
6. "Gosh, do you all need another reason or what?"
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:46 pm

Angel37 wrote:History of Violence and Aeon Flux.
They SUCKED. Random sex, crappy plot, and a HORRIBLE conclusion. Both movies had such promise too!

Didn't see Aeon Flux, but I did see History of Violence and I'll have to agree with you there :/ The random bad scenes just SO aren't necessary (and I remember quite a few lengthy ones in that one too... sheesh! >_<)
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby meboeck » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:04 am

Sparrowhawk wrote:I know I'm gonna get chewed out for saying this but...Napoleon Dynamite.
I know, I know... everyone else loves the movie, but here are my reasons.
1. No plot
2. Dumb Characters...that are not funny
3. No Plot
4. Wasted part of my life watching it.
5. No Plot
6. "Gosh, do you all need another reason or what?"

While I personally liked the movie, I can easily see why someone would dislike it. It's more of a cult classic than a truly good movie.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 am

Pulp Fiction
Reason: It was extremely difficult to follow and seemed devoid of anything positive.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:56 am

rocklobster wrote:Pulp Fiction
Reason: It was extremely difficult to follow and seemed devoid of anything positive.

Yea i didn't like that one due to the extreme language.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Pay it Forward. Because Christians I knew acted like it was God's voice speaking to man, and that it was a good biblically sound movie promoting christian values. Please... It was secular humanism, "If we people are good to each other we can change the world for the better (and we have the power to do that as people and don't need God for that, because man is inherently good)" There is a huge problem with the PIF scenario... Selfishness... The people that will pay it forward out of guilt (which is what drives a PIF scenario... Guilt and obligation) will eventually run out, because guilt only carries people so far. It will fizzle out rather quickly.

See, the difference between the way Christianity is supposed to work and a PIF scenario is that Christians are supposed to do that all the time (good things to help people) and it is to come out of Love based on the revelation of what God did for us, not some epiphany of human goodness. And, no, close enough isn't. Close enough is worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:57 pm

rocklobster wrote:Pulp Fiction

I would totally have to disagree with you there. It's one of the best movies every out there. It's only difficult to follow for some people because of the nonlinear plot. It all ties in together once you analyze it. The intertwining characters is pretty original and noncliched.

There's nothing positive because there isn't supposed to be anything positive. It shows the dark side of man and corruption. It's not a feel-good movie in any way. (Besides some laughs from dark comedy)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Gritz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:26 pm

Batman And Robin

Do I really need to explain? :shady:

X Men 3

It was the worst X Men movie made. The plot which would have made a good storyline was a small sidestory. They introduce new mutants and barely give any depth to them. Cyclops died, The professer died, Almost everyone was OOC, CYCLOPS died, The Iceman vs Pyro fight was so sickening. I was expecting a massive brawl between these two powerful elements, instead it was a stupid standoff that wasn't even impressive. CYCLOPS DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rant: :rant:
Gritz

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:37 pm

Gritz wrote:Batman And Robin

Do I really need to explain? :shady:

X Men 3

It was the worst X Men movie made. The plot which would have made a good storyline was a small sidestory. They introduce new mutants and barely give any depth to them. Cyclops died, The professer died, Almost everyone was OOC, CYCLOPS died, The Iceman vs Pyro fight was so sickening. I was expecting a massive brawl between these two powerful elements, instead it was a stupid standoff that wasn't even impressive. CYCLOPS DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rant: :rant:

Wow, guess there's no reason for me to see X-3 anymore, then. XD;

Anyways, movies I dislike...probably a good handful of the CG movies that are made today (the ones that aren't made by Pixar, that is). Madagascar, Over the Hedge, Shark Tale...all of them are such terrible excuses for movies, and they're really not even that funny. And no, I won't go into my "animated movies aren't what they used to be" rant right now. XD;;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:48 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer"]Wow, guess there's no reason for me to see X-3 anymore, then. XD]
Agreed!! ^_^

I know I am probably gonna be tied and thrown over board...haha funny how I say that...because...

I really really hated Pirated of the Caribean 2... Why?

1. I would like to think that a movie can be more than comedy...especially when the first one was more drama that comedy. Thsi movie made too much fun of itself and the whole "Why is the rum always gone?" Quote gets really really old.
2. THe bad guy. I mean I know he is supposed to be Davey Jones..but he just seemed far to unbelievable.. why davey Jones?!

3. Elizabeth is an idiot.
4. Jack Sparrow is an idiot
5. Will Turner is a pansy.

Yeah... I just didn't like that movie and I am not too keen on the actors either... (no offence to anyone) The comedy was OKAY though..not great but it was okay.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:00 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:5. Will Turner is a pansy.

XD!! That's great. And pretty true. XD

Anyways, I agree with most of what you said regarding the comedy in the second movie. It felt quite forced in some places, and I think it's because it was purposefully written that way. The first film wasn't meant to be a comedy; Johnny Depp just turned his character into a creative (and very funny) entity. But in the second movie, a lot of things were meant to be "funny", but they just weren't (pointless scene on the cannibal island, I'm looking at you). When I watch the first one now, I still laugh at the quirky lines and antics, but the second only has me chuckling in a few places.

Anyways, I'm hoping for good things to come of the third one, but I guess we'll just have to wait. XD

Another one that I should probably put down here would be Star Wars: Episode I. It was probably mentioned earlier, but it's my least favorite of all six films. XD The acting was mediocre, the Force was turned into something more "scientific" (midichloriones, anyone? Not sure if that's spelled correctly, though...), and it was just...bad all around. XD Although, Duel of the Fates is still a great scene/piece of music. You can never go wrong with John Williams. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:18 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:5. Will Turner is a pansy.

Radical Dreamer wrote:XD!! That's great. And pretty true. XD

Ever see him in Troy? He like, spelled out pansy through the whole thing there (and amazingly enough got to show off more of his archery skilz). Good movie though (lots of inside jokes with friends on that, plus a good movie, minus a couple scenes in there :/) But with the words "Orlando" and "pansy" put together, that totally came to mind^^

Tenshi no Ai

Postby Tommy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:24 pm

Transporter 2.
Crappy sequel, my friends. Excellent, stylized action, but undetailed cliche action plot.
Tommy

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:28 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Ever see him in Troy? He like, spelled out pansy through the whole thing there (and amazingly enough got to show off more of his archery skilz). Good movie though (lots of inside jokes with friends on that, plus a good movie, minus a couple scenes in there :/) But with the words "Orlando" and "pansy" put together, that totally came to mind^^

especially with a last name like "Bloom" XDDDD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:55 am

[quote="Radical Dreamer"]Anyways, movies I dislike...probably a good handful of the CG movies that are made today (the ones that aren't made by Pixar, that is). Madagascar, Over the Hedge, Shark Tale...all of them are such terrible excuses for movies, and they're really not even that funny. And no, I won't go into my "animated movies aren't what they used to be" rant right now. XD]

Not just those, but most of the drivel Disney is releasing today. They haven't made a good animated feature in forever.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Eaglestrike » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:16 am

Princess Diaries. Crossroads.

I enjoy a lot of movies. And I have problems recalling movies until I see the title and maybe a little about it. I know there are more movies I couldn't stand, those are just two I can remember.

Oh yeah, BE COOL. Worst movie ever. I walked out like 30min in and went to Denny's with my friends.
Livejournal
Anime watched: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Claymore, Lucky Star, Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Elfen Lied, Card Captor Sakura, FLCL, Death Note, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Mai Hime, Mai Otome. <3 them all
Myspace
Eaglestrike

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:34 am

Radical Dreamer wrote:Another one that I should probably put down here would be Star Wars: Episode I. It was probably mentioned earlier, but it's my least favorite of all six films. XD The acting was mediocre, the Force was turned into something more "scientific" (midichloriones, anyone? Not sure if that's spelled correctly, though...), and it was just...bad all around. XD Although, Duel of the Fates is still a great scene/piece of music. You can never go wrong with John Williams. XD

CORRIE... you can't even spell Midi-chlorians correctly? Oh no you fail! :shake:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:44 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:CORRIE... you can't even spell Midi-chlorians correctly? Oh no you fail! :shake:

Hey, I was close, Mr. "I don't know what Salacious Crumb is"! XDD

Anyways, Az, I pretty much agree about Disney's recent animated features (that aren't linked with Pixar). The only reason I didn't list any is because I never saw any of them. XD Why waste my money on one of their awful movies when I could spend it on something I'll enjoy much more? XD The ones I did list I watched while babysitting, so yeah. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:40 am

Radical Dreamer wrote:Hey, I was close, Mr. "I don't know what Salacious Crumb is"! XDD

Amusing... I've hardly seen all 6 movies (haven't even seen the 3rd at all), not the biggest fan, nor know a heck of a lot about it, but even I know who that character is^^

Tenshi no Ai

Next

Return to General Entertainment