Why is Scarface so darn popular?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Why is Scarface so darn popular?

Postby Maledicte » Wed May 10, 2006 10:13 am

'cause really, I don't get it. It's no. 1 on the iMDB charts, and I've seen some of it, and really I wasn't impressed.

It's violent, and depressing, and has lots of swearing....and...?

Normally I don't find such things a turn-off for cinema, but there's a bunch of movies violent, depressing and with lots of language, with similar stories, that aren't as popular, and violent, depressing and language-filled movies with better stories that still aren't as popular.

A big defence I hear for Scarface is that it's "so true! That kind of stuff really happens!"...So?

...I really don't get it.
Maledicte

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 10, 2006 10:50 am

I've recently seen this and I tend to be in agreement with you. While the movie seemed to be starting out as a gritty crime drama, it quickly fell apart into pointless improbable scenes, badly written and badly acted, climaxing with a "let's wrap this up" shootout in the end. It seemed like violence was the end in itself as opposed to an element of the film as better quality films are... with the killings seeming random and pointless... not senseless as so much real life crime is, but pointless as in "What was the point of that scene?"

Not sure why it's rating all the hype now. I remember (I think I was in the 8th grade when it came out), that the reviews were almost entirely negative
Arnobius

Postby Tommy » Wed May 10, 2006 12:38 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:It's violent, and depressing, and has lots of swearing....and...?

Those are some positive points of movies these days to the mainstream view sadly.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed May 10, 2006 1:56 pm

The drugs is what i am thinking everyone is all "there are drugs in it it must be cool and plus i saw it on MTV cribs"
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Tommy » Wed May 10, 2006 2:17 pm

I think the "older generation" liked it better.
Tommy

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed May 10, 2006 2:26 pm

Well, at the very least it makes me appreciate the Godfather *shrugs*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby The Last Bard » Wed May 10, 2006 9:31 pm

It's kind of like one of those things...I guess it would be like a fad.

Because when it came out it got very bad ratings and made a pathetic $656,161 in the box office.
Then a few years (Or months) later it became a hit.

I think that is how the story goes. If that's not how it went, let me know so I'll never tell anyone that again. ;)

And yes, Lizardqueen, The Godfather is great. I'm about to watch Part II right now. ;)
The Last Bard

Postby Steeltemplar » Thu May 11, 2006 11:52 am

Well, there is some cool action. And I think people like the atmosphere.

However, I think it is all about the Tony Montana character when it comes down to it. Both the way that Pacino played him and the great quotes that have endured well beyond people who have even seen the film. Of course, most of them are things I can't post in CAA :sweat: Although there is the classic: "You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!"

It was a movie about a mobster in Miami running drugs. I can't make any claims about realism. However, that it is violent and depressing with a great deal of obscenity does fit with that motif. The whole point of it IS the way that Montana destroyed his own life and how the drugs and crime he was involved in led him to do it. This isn't supposed to be an uplifting film.

Whether it is good or not is another matter, I suppose. I liked watching it, but I would not watch it again I think. It is pretty dark. But I am glad that I did see it the one time.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Maledicte » Thu May 11, 2006 10:07 pm

From what I've heard though, the depiction of the whole drug business is overblown, bordering on cartoonish--the story itself is nothing new--the accents are horrendous--in any case I find it largely overrated.
Maledicte

Postby Stephen » Thu May 11, 2006 10:39 pm

Have you actaully watched the film? You might have more ground to make judgements on it then. I am fairly neutral on the film itself. I liked it...I can see the negative points to it, but it was not the best film ever made. It was a decent movie though.
Stephen

Postby Maledicte » Fri May 12, 2006 10:35 pm

Like I've said earlier, I've seen some of it, and heard both negative and positive reviews from others...however the negative ones seem to back up their arguments to a far more convincing extent than the "THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!!" ones.

And like you said, Ark, if anything it's decent. My main question is why the overbearing load of posters selling and why so many people think it's cinema's gift to mankind.
Maledicte

Postby Steeltemplar » Sat May 13, 2006 9:06 am

SirThinks2Much wrote:Like I've said earlier, I've seen some of it, and heard both negative and positive reviews from others...however the negative ones seem to back up their arguments to a far more convincing extent than the "THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!!" ones.

And like you said, Ark, if anything it's decent. My main question is why the overbearing load of posters selling and why so many people think it's cinema's gift to mankind.

Well, as is evidenced by the popularity of the quotes, I think that people identify Scarface with a certain factor of coolness. This popularity has almost certainly been bolstered further by the game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which was (intentionally or no) almost an homage to Scarface. In fact, GTA:VC (a game which is certainly rated M for good reason, so not for the younger folks here) was what inspired me to rent the movie. I should think I am not the only one.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 13, 2006 1:19 pm

Steeltemplar wrote:Well, as is evidenced by the popularity of the quotes, I think that people identify Scarface with a certain factor of coolness. This popularity has almost certainly been bolstered further by the game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which was (intentionally or no) almost an homage to Scarface. In fact, GTA:VC (a game which is certainly rated M for good reason, so not for the younger folks here) was what inspired me to rent the movie. I should think I am not the only one.

Well, maybe GTA could come up with a game based on "City of God" which was a Brazillian film and one of the best "life of crime" movies I've seen. Or maybe the John Woo Hong Kong cinema...
Arnobius

Postby Steeltemplar » Sat May 13, 2006 2:25 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Well, maybe GTA could come up with a game based on "City of God" which was a Brazillian film and one of the best "life of crime" movies I've seen. Or maybe the John Woo Hong Kong cinema...

It would rock if they did. Honestly, I loved GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas. They've done an 80's theme and a gangsta theme already, so who knows what the next will be? A John Woo HK style one would be fantastic.
Headbangers United

CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Heart of Sword » Sat May 13, 2006 2:34 pm

I saw about 10 minutes of it on television (edited version). I thought the acting was pretty...bleh...

I dunno why it's popular. *shrugs*

Also, why's he called Scarface or whatever? All he has is a little mark on his eyebrow. O__o;;
Heart of Sword

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 13, 2006 4:37 pm

[quote="Heart of Sword"]I saw about 10 minutes of it on television (edited version). I thought the acting was pretty...bleh...

I dunno why it's popular. *shrugs*

Also, why's he called Scarface or whatever? All he has is a little mark on his eyebrow. O__o]
Well it may have been a "modernized" version of an older gangster movie of the same name. It never really played a role in the movie though
Arnobius

Postby gungrave » Sat May 13, 2006 6:51 pm

there is one famous line...*cant remember* and one BIG GUN*at the end...if remembers correctly*but every other word was the f-word.... umm I cant really tell....but... it was looooooooooooooooong
You find that you have a weapon, an instrument that
will give you power over the wind and sea.
In one word, you can stop time. It is a weapon
so powerful that even God will bow
down to you and all his angels fall at your feet.
What would you do with it?

Adopted: Jack Bond
Adopted: Mega
Adopted By: Black Rose Misao
Adopted By: GrubbTheFragger

then I will be all over those games like white on a paper plate with a styrofoam cup filled with milk in the north pole during a snow storm ---iscryed4u which is my AIM screen name so, I said it XD
Felix wrote:And gungrave, XD I am sure you look quite the man-beast in a suit.

\m/ >,< \m/<-----if u listen to anti hip-hop music Aka metal or just hard rock put this in ur profile and represent

JonathOn !!El perro esta en fuego!!
C.R.A.P. leader
:thumb:
---GamerTag: HxS L3TH4L
gungrave

Return to General Entertainment