Favorite Musical?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Favorite Musical?

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:32 pm

Well, I guess this should go in Gen. Entertainment, since musicals are movies/plays, so here goes! What's your favorite musical? And movies with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, etc. totally count. I love White Christmas and Holiday Inn! :D

Anyways, I think several of mine include the following (in no particular order):

Fiddler on the Roof
My Fair Lady
The Phantom of the Opera
The Music Man
The King and I
White Christmas
Holiday Inn
Guys and Dolls
Roger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella (NOT the one with Brandy, haha)
The Wizard of Oz (Scarecrow is my FAVORITE.) :D
The Sound of Music
And though this may not exactly count...Disney's Beauty and the Beast!!! "Madame, Gaston, can you believe it?! Madame, Gaston, his little wife! No sir, not me, I guarantee it! I want much more than this provential liiiife....." Ack! I love it!

So what are some of your favorites? :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ashley » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:37 pm

Phantom of the Opera
Camelot (I love singing to the soundtrack, especially when Julie Andrews is Guinevere)
The Producers (Oola is so funny)
D*mn Yankees!
Beauty and the Beast (if that counts, that is)
Ashley

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:38 pm

The one, the only

The Blues Brothers

'nuff said....
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Tarnish » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:40 pm

As far as plays go, I like The Fiddler On the Roof (seeing Wicked and The Producers may change that, however...).
But as far as movies go...I like..um...The...Corpse...Bride. :sweat: Heh.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:42 pm

Wicked is one of the best soundtracks, but Cinderella and Bye Bye Birdy were the most fun to play for for me.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm

Ashley wrote:Camelot (I love singing to the soundtrack, especially when Julie Andrews is Guinevere)

I really want to see Camelot, haha! I love the song "If Ever I Would Leave You," it's SO pretty! I've only heard that song, though, and I love all of the King Arthur stuff. I'll have to rent it one day. :lol:

Orenji wrote:I like..um...The...Corpse...Bride

I dunno, that one did have some catchy tunes. :thumb:
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:47 pm

• Sound of Music
• My Fair Lady
• Chicago
• Evita
• The Court Jester
• O Brother, where art Thou

Yup - that's about it for me.
bigsleepj

Postby meboeck » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:55 pm

Beauty and the Beast does count. It was on Broadway for a while.

My favorites are:

The Wizard of Oz
The Sound of Music
The Music Man
The King and I
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:35 am

The Phantom of the Opera
The Fiddler on the Roof
Les Miserables
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Guys and Dolls
Little Shop of Horrors
Man of La Mancha
Cabaret
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:24 am

I'm not big on musicals but the stage version of The Phantom of the Opera was awesome. Also Blues Brothers was a very good blues movie musical.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby KojiroMusashi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:48 am

Yes, in no particular order, here's a peek into the musical section of KojiroMusashi's mind....those of you with weak stomachs, look away!

-Fiddler on the Roof
-Nightmare Before Christmas
-Chicago
-Anything VeggieTales
-Moulin Rouge
-CATS
-Blues Brothers and Blues Bros. 2000
-Phantom of the Opera
-West Side Story
-White Christmas

And I would list Beauty and the Beast, but really my brother and I only watch the show for Gaston. Since he's only got one song, it really doesn't rate high enough for me *shrug*

(Yeah, we skip to all the scenes that have Gaston in them. He's our favoritest Disney character ever. :thumb: :thumb: )
KojiroMusashi

Postby Sai » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:23 am

I really like Singin in the Rain, Fiddler on the roof, and Beauty and the beast. After awhile, Glenda's singing, in Wicked, got on my nerves.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Anti-me » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:40 am

I have to say Phantom of the Opera has the best soundtrack that I've heard, however Fiddler on the Roof has a great story.

Does Disney actually count here? Its animated. But I guess I'm on the wrong site to discredit animation
Anti-me

Postby Arnobius » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:31 am

Musically, I'd go with "Paint Your Wagon" though the story is reprehensible. "Chicago" was also excellent. Some classics were always good, Fiddler for example. "Avenue Q" is one I'd like to see but Broadway is a long long way from where I live.
Arnobius

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:14 am

I like plenty of the ones already mentioned, as well as some that haven't been: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and Bye Bye Birdie all come to mind. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:24 am

I like The Sound of Music, Moulin Rouge, Wizard of Oz. I haven't seen many other musicals honestly...the ones I've tried to watch have been EXTREMELY irritating or just had too many slow points to keep me interested in watching the whole movie (e.g. My Fair Lady).

Phantom of the Opera was okay...it had a really nice soundtrack but it didn't really work as a movie to me. Perhaps the stage play is better (not that I'll ever get a chance to see it).

Chicago had some nice music and nice costumes and stuff, but it was a little too racy for me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rogie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:23 pm

Wizard of Oz, hands-down, especially since I got to perform as the Tin Man on stage in high school. ;)

"When a man's an empty kettle..."

But I also like a lot of the Disney musicals. My fave of those would be "The Little Mermaid," since I like all the songs, including Ursula's (and you can't say that you like a villain's song in many other Disney toons). "Part of Your World" is beautiful, "Under the Sea" is a lot of fun, and "Kiss the Girl" is just plain catchy.

And yes, I am a guy who is comfortable saying he loves "The Little Mermaid." :grin:
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:35 pm

My Fair Lady
West Side Story
CATS
The Phantom of the Opera
Little Shop of Horrors
Guys & Dolls
Man of La Mancha
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:55 pm

*Godspell:"Prepare Ye The Way","Day By Day","By The Willows There"
*Paint Your Wagon:"They Call The Wind Maria","I Talk To The Trees"
*The Sound Of Music:"The Sound Of Music","The Do-Re-Mi Song","Edelweiss"
*South Pacific:"Some Enchanted Evening","There's Nothin'Like A Dame","Bali Hai"
*The Wizard Of Oz:"Somewhere Over The Rainbow","If Only I Had A Brain"
*Camelot:"Camelot","If Ever I Would Leave You","I Wonder What The King's Doing Tonight?"
mitsuki lover

Postby Scribs » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:24 pm

WHAT! Noone has even mentioned any Gilbert and Sullivan!? This is a travesty! Gilbert and Sullivan were the writers of the best light operas of the late 1800s!

The Mikado
HMS Pinafore
The Pirates of Penzance
Patience
Iolanthe
The Yeomen of the Gaurd
The Gondoliers
Ruddigore

The list goes on and all. These musicals are in all ways superior to those already listed.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:24 pm

ST2M wrote:Les Miserables

Oh, I want to see that play so much!! I've heard two of the songs from it, and they were both so great! Hopefully, it'll come near to my town soon. :D

KojiroMusashi wrote:And I would list Beauty and the Beast, but really my brother and I only watch the show for Gaston. Since he's only got one song, it really doesn't rate high enough for me *shrug*

Haha, I LOVE the song about Gaston! "I'm especially good at expectorating!" :lol: Man, I love that movie.

Anti-me wrote:Does Disney actually count here? Its animated. But I guess I'm on the wrong site to discredit animation

Yes, of course it does. :lol: Score + Voice actors is...Well, ALMOST the same as score + stage actors, especially if it has a really fantastic score! ]
the ones I've tried to watch have been EXTREMELY irritating or just had too many slow points to keep me interested in watching the whole movie[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that happened to me in Carousel. Some of the dance scenes can reaaaaly drag on for a looong time. :sweat: Then again, there are some dance scenes that I really love, like "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing," from White Christmas. So, I guess you just have to find that happy medium. XD

Rogie-San wrote:Wizard of Oz, hands-down, especially since I got to perform as the Tin Man on stage in high school.

"When a man's an empty kettle..."

....He should be on his mettle...and yet I'm torn apaaart. Just because I'm presumin' that I could be kinda human if I only had a heart! :thumb:

I want to do that play at my school, but they won't let us because of the witch...:sniffle:

Oh, and I forgot to metion earlier...Mary Poppins!! I LOVE the chimney sweep song, and also "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"...Or Dociousaliexpilisticfragicalirepus. :lol: I love that movie!

Radical Dreamer

Postby Anti-me » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:46 pm

Sorry Scribs,
But I agree that G&S write the best comedies to music, however, at the same time, my experience has been rather limited
Anti-me

Postby meboeck » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:19 pm

Anti-me wrote:Does Disney actually count here? Its animated. But I guess I'm on the wrong site to discredit animation

They made a Broadway musical based on the Disney movie, just like with The Lion King.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby righteous_slave » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:55 am

Blues Brothers and You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. BB2000 just wasn't nearly as good as the original, and not quite good enough to warrant inclusion on a favorites list.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby righteous_slave » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:56 am

Blues Brothers and You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. BB2000 just wasn't nearly as good as the original, and not quite good enough to warrant inclusion on a favorites list. Moulon Rouge is always interesting to watch, as there seems to be new stuff hiding in it every showing.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby TurkishMonky » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:39 am

fiddler on the roof. most definately .i saw a highschool performance of it from a local highschool, and it was awesomely done.
TurkishMonky

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:42 pm

Not necessarily in order:
Jesus Christ Superstar
Godspell
Music Man
Pinafore
Mikado
Candide (yes it's technically an "opera", but... not really.)
Fiddler on the Roof
West Side Story!

The show tunes I'm most likely to start humming are:
"Modern Major General"
"America" (the one in West Side Story)
"Prepare Ye The Way Of The Lord"
"I've got a little list" (I suppose my co-workers should be concerned about that!)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Scribs » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:10 pm

EricTheFred wrote:Not necessarily in order:
Jesus Christ Superstar
Godspell
Music Man
Pinafore
Mikado

Candide (yes it's technically an "opera", but... not really.)
Fiddler on the Roof
West Side Story!

The show tunes I'm most likely to start humming are:
"Modern Major General"
"America" (the one in West Side Story)
"Prepare Ye The Way Of The Lord"
"I've got a little list" (I suppose my co-workers should be concerned about that!)

Now this is a person with good taste. For it really doesnt matter who he puts upon the list for theyed none of them be missed, theyed none of them be missed.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:13 pm

EricTheFred wrote:"Modern Major General"

Haha, I love that song! "I am the very model of a modern major general, I've information vegetable animal and mineral..." Haha, it's so fun to sing!!

Radical Dreamer

Postby Scribs » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:50 pm

I know our mythic history king arthur and sir caradox, I answer hard acrostics and I've a pretty taste for paradox...

Great stuff!
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Next

Return to General Entertainment