Lord of the Beans

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Lord of the Beans

Postby Kanerou » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:29 am

Anyone seen it? My siblings are getting it for Christmas, and so far, I've only seen the trailers.

I guess what I'm really asking is: did any other die-hard Tolkien fans see this and start gagging/choking/crying/etc.?
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:11 pm

I want to see it...

...which means I'm of no help to you.

I'm a die-hard, and I think I'll be more pleased with the cleverness of the puns than disgusted. It *is* just VeggieTales, after all.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:29 pm

I have seen it. What aspect in particular were you agonizing in advance over? I can probably tell you how it was handled.

As parodies go, I have seen far worse. Sauron doesn't exist, Saruman being the only villain (which is a shame, because they could have included a giant flaming nose or something similar). It had its share of original jokes as well as some direct mockery of the films (the books are essentially immaterial for this parody), and ultimately the story was changed for the purpose of their moral lesson.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sai » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:52 pm

I found it rather funny. I liked it over all
Sai

Postby Kanerou » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:27 am

I was groaning over some of the names. And the sporks. I think that was the worst of it. I'm sure it'll be great. The jokes just make me cringe, having seen the Trilogy.
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:52 am

I really thought the sporks were going to be waffles. The thing that creates them looks so much like a waffle iron. In any case, the two are roughly comparable.

I find your reaction interesting; I've also seen the trilogy and most of the time the puns and other jokes didn't make me cringe. The parody runs deep, however: the DVD's opening screen is direct mimickry of the first movie's.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:21 pm

Wait.....is this the Veggie Tales one?

I have a much better idea for an LOTR parody.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:11 pm

Yes, it is a Veggie Tales movie, and they use the Lord of the Rings asthetic to get across their intended moral lesson. I rather doubt they came to that thinking of satire.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:17 am

A friend of mine who is rather into both Veggie Tales and LOTR keeps insisting I watch it. I have to say, I'm rather intrigued.
Mithrandir

Postby Arnobius » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:33 am

My brother had it. It was OK, some parts were hillarious. Parodied some of the scenes of the movies, and the characters were made up to resemble the actors. The reaching of the moral at the end seemed rather wooden.

I was suprised to see they indirectly made use of some bathroom humor.
Arnobius

Postby FadedOne » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:38 am

lol, I bought it...Jonah is better, but hey...LOTR parodies must be watched! It made me laugh and cringe, but in a good way. I never have particularly high hopes for Christian animation. too many morals :P Still....I thought the sporks were wonderful. It's woth the $9 or $10 to watch once or twice and give to a kid at church.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby TurkishMonky » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:08 am

it was ok, the first half is like a direct paordy of the movie, until they get to the trees. my mom (who hasn't seen LOTR) said she didn't get a whole lot of it, which leads to the asumption that young kids who haven't seen LOTR probably won't either... anyway, the keebler elf was the best part!
TurkishMonky

Postby Godly Paladin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:46 am

It's woth the $9 or $10 to watch once or twice and give to a kid at church.

That's the way I feel about a whole lot of things.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:10 pm

TurkishMonkey wrote:which leads to the asumption that young kids who haven't seen LOTR probably won't either...

Not that the parody was ever really intended for children. This is one of the aspects that I appreciate about VeggieTales.
uc pseudonym

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:25 pm

I've watched the first half of it so far...Up until they reach the "Blue Gate." I must say, it had me in stitches!! I'm a huge fan of LOTR, so I was able to recognize a lot of the lines. I laughed so hard when they reached the trees! "Randalph, son of Mandalph..." I loved how they went on and on with the names! Hahaha! Anyways, I'll have to give a fuller review when I finish watching it, but I've loved it so far!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Silvanis » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:41 pm

I really enjoyed it. Sporks... pfffAHAHA!
Silvanis

Postby Sai » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:25 pm

I really liked a certian comment about maggoty bread made by the sporks.
Sai

Postby Arnobius » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:11 pm

I think my favorite part was the parody of the escape with the help of an Eagle from Fellowship
Arnobius

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Frubafan89 wrote:I really liked a certian comment about maggoty bread made by the sporks.

We ain't had nothin' bu' maggo'y bread for three stinkin' days!!!

Hahaha! I loved that part, too!! That line in the movie always made me laugh (I don't know why), so when I heard that in this version, I almost died! XD I finished watching it, and I think the whole thing is absolutely hysterical!! Ear of Corn, Leg o' Lamb, and Grumpy! Hahahah, and Billboy's "twelfthity-twoth birthday," instead of his eleventy-first!

OH, and I absolutely LOVED the scenes where "Leg o' Lamb" would walk on-screen and look around mysteriously, pointing his bow at everything. Hahaha! And who else cracked up during "Silly Songs with Elves?" "There is much wind coming from your mouth!!" I had forgotten how funny Veggie Tales could be! XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Gypsy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:34 pm

Cookie man say no.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:24 pm

I don't think it comes to Australia till late March.... :(

So says the online Christian bookstore anway...
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:53 am

Check earlier. Many times companies receive and stock items before the official release date, and it is possible whatever bookstore you intend to use will follow this pattern. However, Australian policies could differ and I would not be aware.

Gypsy wrote:Cookie man say no.

Heh. One of the best lines.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kanerou » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Yeah, the eagle part was great. I also liked the Silly Songs with Elves. "You're an Elvish impersonator!" That was a great double-meaning.

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Kanerou

Postby Silent Hunter » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:37 pm

I found the movie quite humurous. The first scene, with gandalf riding in on his wooden-horse drawn kart, was funny, and I especially liked the veggie commentary. It was quite a classy mock of the commentaries on the LOTR extended versions.

Overall, It was a good parody.

[color=#000000]Me: "Hey, what's her last name?"

Brett: "Doesn't matter. It's going to change anyway."

Brett: "Why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot them?"

[/color]
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Silent Hunter

Postby Scribs » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:42 am

I truely must see this... I have fallen behind on my veggie tales since Jonah. I particularly desire to se sumo of the opera, since it parodys songs from the Mikado, one of my favourite plays.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Return to General Entertainment