The Charlie Brown toons

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Charlie Brown toons

Postby Wakarimashta! » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:24 pm

Does anybody remember seeing any of the old Charlie Brown cartoons? I know there were a few well-known ones, like "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown," "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving," and "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

There used to be a block on Nickelodeon that aired quite a few Charlie Brown toons. All of them were classics.

My favorite CB shows were "You're in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown" and "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown."
Wakarimashta!

Postby meboeck » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:27 pm

I just saw my friend in the play version of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and he was Charlie Brown! I love anything Peanuts related, whether it's comics, cartoons, or just memorabilia (sp?). And I remember seeing aone chow about the writing of the Constitution.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:33 pm

I love these old Cartoons too! I wish they'd release them over here on DVD - because I'd certainly buy them. My favourite, however, is the seldom seen "Bon Voyage, CHarlie Brown" and "You're the Greatest, Charlie Brown." I love those. :)
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:53 pm

I loved the Peanuts comics but absolutely hated the tv show! It was boring and contrite and didn't work. The humour and situations aren't very made for tv, its not dynamic in the least. The comics get the thumbs up, the cartoon tv show does not.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:46 am

YES! :grin: I love the comics and the cartoons; and I've even got the soundtrack CD from A Charlie Brown Christmas. Awesome stuff that Chuck Schultz created... ^__^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:09 am

Ahhhh, nostalgia. I used to watch the holiday specials all the time when I was a kid, back in the 80s when they actually showed them on CBS. My dad would record them for me. I had tons of those things on tape!

You gotta love the Great Pumpkin special and the Christmas one. I own the Christmas special soundtrack X3

I liked most of the others, too. What was that movie...there was a movie where they went to summer camp or something like that. I can't remember the name though.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Wakarimashta! » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:27 pm

Too bad Mr. Schultz isn't around to make any more comics. Though his legacy remains...

Bill Melendez (who had worked on the cartoons with Mr. Schultz) is able to reproduce some of the non-print Peanuts artwork, and possibly keep the animation stuff going.
Wakarimashta!

Postby TrigunX89 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:22 am

Yeah, the old Peanuts cartoons are great. I just watched the Thanksgiving special a couple days ago, and I also watched the Great Pumpkin one on Halloween. Good stuff. I'll probably watch the Christmas one again this year, too. I know I've seen more, but I can't remember them at the moment...
TrigunX89

Postby Arnobius » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:50 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:I liked most of the others, too. What was that movie...there was a movie where they went to summer camp or something like that. I can't remember the name though.

There were a couple. One was It Was a Short Summer Charlie Brown which involved the boy camp and the girl camp competing in a number of events, and losing, ending up with Lucy vs The Masked Marvel (Snoopy) in rm wrestling.

Another was "Race for your life, Charlie Brown" which actually was in theaters, involving the gang vs a bunch of mean kids in a rafting race.

I remember those old ones... they seemed to be maybe 7 minutes long without the Dolly Madison commercials.

I also remember "Snoopy Come Home" the musical Peanuts special.

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I loved the Peanuts comics but absolutely hated the tv show! It was boring and contrite and didn't work. The humour and situations aren't very made for tv, its not dynamic in the least. The comics get the thumbs up, the cartoon tv show does not.

I seem to recall a couple of specials from the 80's where they recreated some of the story arcs from the comics and adapted them well, like "Sack" (WHere Charlie Brown goes to camp with a sack on his head because of a rash and ends up being the most popular kid in camp)
Arnobius

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:03 pm

Yeah, "Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown" is the one I used to have. I also remember watching "Snoopy Come Home". That's the one where the little girl in the hospital has Snoopy, or something like that?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Arnobius » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:15 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Yeah, "Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown" is the one I used to have. I also remember watching "Snoopy Come Home". That's the one where the little girl in the hospital has Snoopy, or something like that?

The girl was her previous owner I think.

Man I must have seen them all... :sweat:
Arnobius

Postby Wakarimashta! » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:07 am

Let's see... has anybody seen "It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown?" I quite enjoyed the musical number near the end where Snoopy was dancing in a disco club. :)
Wakarimashta!

Postby TrigunX89 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:41 am

Ah yeah, "Snoopy Come Home" was one I watched a lot when I was little. I still remember the song... It kinda made me sad, but it was still good.
TrigunX89

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:42 am

"Snoopy Come Home", indeed, was the one where Charlie Brown learns Snoopy had a previous owner (Linus: "You have a used dog, Charlie Brown!"), Lila, who is in the hospital.

While I find most of the cartoons (especially Thanksgiving) barely passable, my two favorites are "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," and, most assuredly, "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Where else on TV are you going to find cartoon characters quoting the passage from Luke? I agree the strip is superior in many respects, but Charlie Brown's quest for meaning in a materialistic world is such an apt metaphor for our times that this one can't be discarded lightly.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby termyt » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:30 am

Linus's telling of the true meaning of Christmas is a classic TV moment. It's a fond memory of my childhood. I'm not surprised that they seem tame or boring now-a-days. They certainly don't compete with the fast-paced-change-the-camera-angle-three-times-a-second TV we are used to now. But I think they do just fine.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby SnowLeopard » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:03 pm

termyt wrote:Linus's telling of the true meaning of Christmas is a classic TV moment. It's a fond memory of my childhood. I'm not surprised that they seem tame or boring now-a-days. They certainly don't compete with the fast-paced-change-the-camera-angle-three-times-a-second TV we are used to now. But I think they do just fine.

I know exactically how you feel.

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby TrigunX89 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:31 pm

A change of pace is always nice. Those fast-paced-change-camera shows can get boring too, when that's all you see. I rather like the simplistic animation and dialog of the old Charlie Brown cartoons. :)

Did anyone watch the 2 Christmas Charlie Brown specials last night on ABC? I saw the last few minutes of the first one. I didn't stick with the second one.
TrigunX89

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:53 pm

Yeah the Christmas special was by far the best, but Charlie Brown rocks no matter what.
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Yojimbo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:06 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:You gotta love the Great Pumpkin special and the Christmas one. I own the Christmas special soundtrack X3

My dad has some kind of Charlie Brown album. It's good stuff has BB King and other good artists. Been forever and a day since I last listened to it though.

I like Charlie Brown the comic strip and the show. But honestly it's kinda depressing! In a funny way though but still. Dang I mean what's more pathetic than a chronically depressed 10 year old with premature baldness and an ugly sweater.:lol:
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Return to General Entertainment