The Prisoner

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Prisoner

Postby Steeltemplar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:19 pm

So I just received in the mail today my box set containing every episode of The Prisoner (glee!) starring Patrick McGoohan.

Question: Does anyone else know/love this obscure classic?
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Maledicte » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:39 pm

*waves hands wildly* I DO!!!
My dad has the whole series (I think). I've only seen one episode myself, the one where they get into his brain and he's dreaming that he's at a party or something and they can see what he's dreaming on the screen...that was pretty cool.
Maledicte

Postby Steeltemplar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:25 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:*waves hands wildly* I DO!!!
My dad has the whole series (I think). I've only seen one episode myself, the one where they get into his brain and he's dreaming that he's at a party or something and they can see what he's dreaming on the screen...that was pretty cool.

Oooooooh.... "A, B, and C" was the name of that episode. It's my favorite!
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:26 pm

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... :drool: The Prisoner? Hmm nope...never seen it.. ^^; Sorry ST...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Arnobius » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:01 pm

I remember it. Hard to take it seriously when he's being chased by bouncing rubber balls when he tried to escape ;)

But in fairness I only saw it once or twice
Arnobius

Postby Technomancer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:13 pm

Such a good, good series even if the final episode is truly bizarre. The Simpsons parody is superb as well.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby ashfire » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:20 pm

I seen it when it first came to American TV. One wild show. The ending is even wilder.
ashfire

Postby Maledicte » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:53 pm

I remember that Simpsons parody! That was hilarious!
Maledicte

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:49 pm

They sometimes show it on PBS.I saw some of it the last time it was on here.
It was filmd in Wales,I believe.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:45 pm

Yes, at a resort whose name I have forgotten.

Incidentally, does anyone remember 'Nowhere Man'? To a large extent it was inspired by The Prisoner and was also a pretty good show (even if it was never aired at a consistent time).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to General Entertainment