I am not usually an Sports fan but it is great to be a Husky

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

I am not usually an Sports fan but it is great to be a Husky

Postby Yahshua » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:53 pm

Red-hot Huskies rewarded with No. 1 seed
06:40 PM PST on Sunday, March 13, 2005
Associated Press
SEATTLE - Washington keeps making history. One day after winning the Pac-10 tournament for the first time ever, the Huskies were awarded a surprising No. 1 seed in the 65-team NCAA tournament on Sunday.
Washington (27-5) is the top team in the Albuquerque Regional, which keeps the Huskies in the West, potentially, through four rounds. They open the NCAA play Thursday against No. 15-seeded Montana (18-12) at Boise, Idaho.
Unlike last year's cross-country NCAA trek to Columbus, Ohio, where Washington lost 102-100 to Alabama-Birmingham in the first round, it's a 6-hour drive from Seattle to Boise, and the Huskies' students are sure to be there.
"I'm really hyped about that," point guard Will Conroy said. "It means the Dawg Pack can go."

Fans and Washington players gathered at the team's on-campus arena, and cheers went up when the television broadcast revealed the Huskies as one of four top-seeded teams in the field.
"I'm not going to lie and say I thought we were going to get a No. 1 seed," forward Bobby Jones said. "But then I woke up today, and I started watching the shows. People were saying we could get it. I started believing them." Washington made a strong case for a No. 1 seed by beating Arizona 81-72 in the Pac-10 tournament final Saturday night, the first league title of any kind for the Huskies since 1985.
Washington outscored Arizona 17-2 in the last five minutes.
"Washington has had a tremendous year," said Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the NCAA selection committee. "They've had a lot of good wins. They are a postseason-tournament winning team. We just felt they deserved to be on Line 1." The Huskies closed the season strong, going 11-2 down the stretch. The basketball program has improved during a downturn for the once proud football program, which was a school-worst 1-10 last fall.
"We've definitely got a banner to put up in the gym next year," Jones said. "We'd love to have another one that says, 'National Champions,' too." The program has been on a rocket ride since coach Lorenzo Romar took over at his alma mater before the 2002-03 season. Romar was a top assistant under Jim Harrick when UCLA won the 1995 NCAA title.
In three years, the Huskies have gone from Pac-10 also-rans to one of the top four teams in the nation -- at least according to the selection committee. Romar took Saint Louis, his previous team, to the NCAA tournament in 2000.
"I never thought this would happen this quick," Jones said.
"It shows how talented we are, and it says a lot about coach Romar. Guys like to play for him because of the attitude he brings.
There's no favoritism. You've got to respect that."
Yahshua

Postby Zedian » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:24 pm

Naturally I'm all for the Golden Bears of Cal but we did just bad. But congrats Washington, I really think the Huskies will be up there with Illinois, North Carolina and Kentcuky for the Final Four.
Zedian

Postby Yahshua » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:14 pm

Yeah Husky advance to Round 3 go go go.
Yahshua

Postby Zedian » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:47 pm

And Washington just lost today...my hats off to Lousiville for being a great team. Now, its' all about Illinois and Duke for me.
Zedian

Return to General Entertainment