UFC and the Contendor

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

UFC and the Contender

Postby agasfas » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:06 pm

I'm not much for reality based TV shows, but for some reason I can't help but to like:
UFC:The Ulimate Fighter
-and-
NBC's The Contender

I hate shows that people vote to get others off... For the most part, I can't stand reality tv. But for these two shows are a bit different. Instead on being based on votes, the winner of the fight advances and the loser goes home. It more fair because the best wins, period. Plus being heavy into martial arts and stuff, it's just so entertaining.

In case any of y'all don't know already, UFC is known for their cage fighting (The Octagon). Fighters from all styles come together and see's who's the best. Jujitsu, Boxers, wrestler, KickBoxers, South Paw etc.... It's really quite entertaining. Though, most fights in up on the ground. I've been watching the UFC since the first volume.
Anways, the fights are chosen by who ever wins the "team challenge." The winning team is allowed to pick whoever he wishes to fight from the same weight class. The two hosts are both Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture- both great fighters. Currently, it's one of my favorite shows on at the moment. Who ever wins the entire weight class gets a UFC contract. Comes on Mondays at 10:05-ish central (after WWE) and repeats Saturdays 6pm central on Spike TV.

Then the Contender is a Boxing show that comes on NBC. They have a bunch of fighters from both the East and West Coast. Which ever team wins the "team challange" gets to pick the match- who will fight who. It's also quite entertaining.

So anyone seen any one of these shows, or have any opinions? Heck, I'm just wondering if anyone else has even heard of these two shows....
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:26 pm

I love the UFC show. Lightbringer got me watching it. I like the red haired guy and the dude who shaved part of his head...As long as Coscheck does not win I will be happy.
Stephen

Postby agasfas » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:44 pm

Heck yeah, Chris Leben is the man! The first episode I didn't care much for him because of his attitude... but after the third episode, I couldn't help but like him. It just grew on me....

The first time Koscheck won the fight it wasn't really clear. Nothing happened, he would just take Leben down and stall. At least Leben trying trowing submissions. Though before that fight, I think Leben had his emotions get the best of him. Next time, Koscheck is going down!
Personally, for the finals my guesses are:

Middleweight finals: Diego and Leben
Light Heavyweight finals: Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar.

If anyone is interesting in the UFC show, check out: http://www.theultimatefighter.tv/

Image Leben is going all the Way :P

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:47 pm

I want to see a rematch of Leben and Koscheck. I think in there first fight Koscheck should have lost points for stalling.
Stephen

Postby John316 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:49 am

I personally prefer Pride Fighting Championships myself.
Romans 12:9 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."
John316

Postby agasfas » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:05 pm

ahh the Pride FC... I like it, but the atmosphere isn't quite the same as the origianl. Although Pride FC doesn't have as many rules as the UFC, I can't help but like the original a bit more. But they both provide great entertainment. :)

agasfas

Postby agasfas » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:24 pm

For anyone who watched "The Ulimate Fighter" tonight, what did y'all think about the Light-Heavyweight fight between Alex Schoenauer and Forrest Griffin?

Personally, I was a bit surprised about how scrappy Alex was. Alex not only surprised me, but I'm sure he surprised Griffin as well. Although Alex lost in the first round, it was a great effort on his part. He got quite a few nice blows in managing to cut Griffin's upper eye. Though, once Alex was on the ground, Griffin took control and it was over quite fast. Oh well, Still entertaining :)

agasfas

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:26 am

Gah..its my own fault for reading your post...but for the love of all thats good just and right...use spoiler features man.
Stephen

Postby agasfas » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:31 pm

Opps, my bad.. forgot to take into consideration that not everyone's seen it, my apologies/ I'll do that next time. :)

agasfas

Postby bbboy21 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:14 pm

Yeah I have been watching this show for a while and I swear it is a darn good show. Proably the only reality show I seem to enjoy.
:hug: You gotta love it ^.^
bbboy21

Postby agasfas » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:23 pm

On tonights UFC episode was a fight between Chris Leben and Kenny Florian. Both from team Couture. I guess the creators decided instead of 2 oppossing teams going at it, that the remaining middle weight fighters from the same team will duke it out.

Results:
[spoiler]Basically the whole fight was dominated by Leben, throwing punch after punch. First round was obviously Chris's. Then in the middle of the second round, Florian throws a lateral elbow that connects puting a gash/cut on Chris's upper eyebrow, whcih didn't really affect or stun him. The doctor had to stop the fight because the cut was too deep. It pisses me off, Chris had the darn fight won... Guess it's a case of bad luck, huh? I hate to see him go, he's been one of my favorite fighters, it's so frustrating.

Kenny Florian advances to the middle weight finals, to face the winner between Diego Sanchez or Josh Koscheck.
[/spoiler]

Next weeks fight:
Team Liddell- Middle weight semi-finals: Diego Sanchez vs Josh Koscheck

My prediction will be for Diego, I think he's just an all around better figher.

agasfas

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:48 pm

Wow..just watched the latest show.

[SPOILER] I felt bad for Chris...just bad luck I guess. He ruled Kenny the whole fight...then Kenny got one lucky shot in. It was a great elbow...but desperation I think. It does not matter anymore. Nathan and Chris were the only 2 who could beat Diago...the contract is Diagos now. The interesting fight will be Swick or Wick or whatever and Stephan. I like Stephan in that...but who knows. I think Forrest will fight...and I think he will beat the snot out of fat boy there...[/SPOILER]
Stephen

Postby Stephen » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:43 am

Having just got to see Mondays episode...[SPOILER]I think Coscheck was a little better then anyone expected...but he still got his face turned to hamburger and I am glad Diego won.[/SPOILER] I think this coming show Stephan will beat Swick. Swick I guess *from reading on the UFC message boards* got knocked out by Chris before they picked teams...they were sparing around and Chris knocked him out. Stephan hits pretty hard...
Stephen

Postby agasfas » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:19 pm

Wow, Can't believe I forgot to update... Been quite busy this week.
I must agree, the fight between Diego and Koscheck was really intense.

[spoiler] I'm so glad Diego beat Koscheck... To be honest I don't know how it was a split decision because the only round that was fairly hard to judge the points was the 2nd. Other then that, Diego dominated. And yes, I'm Glad to see Koscheck leave. I thinkit's something about his arrogance. And yeah, his face was all purple... :P

Middlweight Final
Diego Sanchez vs. Kenny Florian[/spoiler]

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that this weeks show will have 2 Light Heavyweights:
1)Stephan Bonnar vs. Mike Swick
2)Sam Hoger vs. Forrest Griffin (or Bobby Southworth; pending on Forest's eye injury)

If not.... Opps.
My picks are: Stephan over Swick. I agree w/ Shatterheart, Shephan is a hard hitter.

Second, I predict that Forest will be allowed to fight, and he'll knock out Sam Hoger (that thief :P )

Ohh and heres the Fight Card for Aug. 9th

UF Finale Fight Card
Middlweight Final
Diego Sanchez vs. Kenny Florian

Ken Shamrock vs. Rich Franklin

Non-televised preliminary bouts:
Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Sanford
Chris Leben vs. Jason Thacker (chris will KO Thacker).

Lodune Sincaid vs. Nate Quarry
Alex Karalexis vs. Josh Rafferty

more fights to be announced soon...

Guess more info can be found at: http://www.theultimatefighter.tv/articles.php?id=4

It's getting really interesting and I'm so glad to see Chris Leben on the fight card! I would love to see Diego and Chris battle it out in the octagon. You never know, the winner of the show is guaranteed a title fight, but they don't state with who. So perhaps if Chris can win all of his preliminary bouts, he'll be able to fight Diego in the UFC title fight.... Because by looking at the fight card, all the fights (besides Ken Shamrocks) were all contenders in the UFC show.

agasfas

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:24 am

Its a bummer so many of the fights will be non televised. But I agree that Stephan and Forrest will emerge as the final 2 light heavy weights.
Stephen

Postby agasfas » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:40 pm

WOW, WOW, WOW! Today's 2 fights were quite entertaining.

Fight1: Sam Hoger (thief) vs. Forrest Griffin (Forrest cleared to fight by doctor)
[spoiler] To be honest, the first round surprised me as Sam Hoger landed a few good kicks onto Forrest's Head. Though, it seems Sam only got that lucky because Forrest was taking extreme caution to protecting his split eyebrow. The second, round is where it picked up. After about a minute of stalemate, Forrest goes in for the clinch. From there, Forrest kept plowing in knee after knee (one hitting Sams chin). Then as Sam goes down, Forrest's was on top creaming Sam w/ punch after punch. The referee stops the fight because Sam was unable to "intelligently defend himself." I agree. My hats off to Forrest for a great fight!.[/spoiler]

Fight 2: Stephan Bonnar vs. Mike Swick
[spoiler] Yet another intense fight! The fight started off how I expect, both exchanging blows. Then something I didn't expect to happen, happend.... During the first take down, Swick gets a dreadful gaete choke (sp). Man, Swik had the choke deep! So deep, Stephan was gagging... That was scary b/c I predicted Stephen to win. Then, somehow Stephan overpowers the hold- barely (face purple). Then Swick basicly controlled the ground fight, mostly. Though, Stephan did get a chance or two to exchange blows. Then w/ about 17secs left in the first round, Stephan somehow sinks in the triangle chock (using his legs). Very scary. Then out of desperation, Swick pulls onto the cage (illegally) and leaves his arm wide open for an Arm Barr. Stephan grabs that arm (still in the triangle choke) and submits Swick w/ 2sec left in round one.
An awesome fight! If Stephan didn't get that submission when he did, it was quite obvious that Swick would have won the first round. [/spoiler]

Yep, 2 great fights in one night... So fun. Now, April 9 (saturday) will be the finals constisting of:

Middle Weight: Diego Sanchez vs. Kenny Florian
Light Heavyweights: [spoiler] Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar[/spoiler]

Can't wait to see the fights on saturdaying, it'll be so exciting... first live UFC fights w/ some really good Fights planned w/ Shamrock and such...

In conclusion: [spoiler]Bye, bye Sam Hoger... You thieft [/spoiler] :P

ALso, I predict that Chris Leben to climb his way back into the UFC picture... After he wins his preliminary bouts of course. :thumbs:

agasfas

Postby Stephen » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:47 pm

I loved both fights. Hopefully by now everyones seen the episodes that plans on it. Final prediction time.

Diego vs Kenny

Ya know, I almost think I would like to see Kenny win..being the underdog...but I like Diego...and I think Diego is better UFC material. I think this fight will go 2 rounds, with Diego getting Kenny to tap late in the second round.

Forrest vs Stephan

Tough call for me since I like both fighters. I like Stephan a bit more because after seeing the heart he showed in his last fight...and the skill at both reverseing, getting out of, and using submission. I think that this fight will go 2 rounds as well. Same story late in the second round submission, Stephan makes Forrest Tap. I cannot wait till Saturday...gonna be awesome. Lightbringer and I are gonna get some good food together and catch these fights. I want to see Shamrock beat Franklin...but it don't look good for him.
Stephen

Postby agasfas » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:55 pm

Can't wait till tomorrow!

Now to my picks:
Kenny over Diego.
ALthough I do agree that Diego has the better odds, I really respect Kenny. Underdog or not, he can take a punch. Against Diego, Kenny has an advantage on the feet. Though if it goes to the mat, Diego will dominate. But I like to see an underdog win, so I pick Kenny to win by whatever means neccessary. Though in reality Diego will most likely win... But yeah, I respect both fighers. But I usually always pick at least one underdog in my predictions.

Forrest vs Stephan
Ohh, this one is too hard to pick. Both have awesome power in their punches, but Stephan has a bit of an advantage w/ the sibmissions. I really hate to call this fight because I really like both fighters.... Both can exchange punches, and both know sibmissions. But I think Stephan knows more. Too hard to call so I'll.... *Flips a coin* Stephan wins in by points. I just don't know...

Also, I may change my prediction before the fight. :P THat's how Indecisive I am

Ken Shamrock vs. Rich Franklin
Shamrock will return w/ to the UFC and win w/ a submission.

Non-televised preliminary bouts:

Koscheck by stalling

Chris Leben vs. Jason Thacker
Chris w/ a KO

Nate. Wish I could of seen his potential during the show. To bad for that anckle injury.

Josh Rafferty winning by points.

Me and my brother are going to my dad's house to watch the fights. We are all huge UFC fans, so we'll also be getting ready w/ Chips and soda :)

Edit: I change my prediction for the fight: Forrest vs. Stephan.
I have a feeling Forrest will win. Plus, knowing he has more on stake, he'll go twice as hard. Still it'll be a close fight. But Forrest will win.

agasfas

Postby agasfas » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:49 pm

Warning: *Spoilers*
I figured since not many actually read this thread, I'll just put a warning.

WOW, tonight was amazing!

First the fight between Kenny and Diego... When pretty much how I expected. I knew Kenny was a long shot, but I had to pick at least one underdog. Well done Diego.

Now the second fight between Forest and Stephan... WOW. That was one of the most exciting UFC fights I've ever seen... And I've seen a lot! I knew the two would go all, but man... blow after blow, exchange after exchange. After the first round, I was in awe. Both were about pretty much even. I agree w/ the decision for Forrest. Forrest kept coming at Stephan w/ knees and punches. Stephan threw a few a bunch too. It was too close... I think the constant knees and throwing against the fence helped win it for Forrest. Wow. Words can't really describe the total excitement or energy that this fight had. Both were beaten and bruised- Forrest even had a bloody nose after the first round. I feared they would stop the fight, I'm so glad they didn't. Wow, I'm at a lost of words.
Forrest wins by decision, I was correct. :P

Also, I'm glad the both Forrest and Stephan were offered contracts. They both showed a lot of heart.

Now the fight against: Franklin and Shamrock.
One word, "stunned." Shamrock came early w/ a foot hook submission. The fight started as I expected. Then as Shamrock tried to land a high kick, he slipped. Dang, that lost him the fight. Franklin kept throwing punch after punch. The Ref. had to stop the fight w/ a TKO.

I'm so hyped up, I acutally exhausted. Some really awesome fights. WOW!

agasfas

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:11 pm

I hear ya...I just got in from Lightbringers house where we watched it...my thoughts.

1.Diego vs Kenflo- I was really hoping the underdog here would show up Diego...but things went exactly how everyone figured it would..bummer...congrats Diego

2.Shamrock and Franklin- I am suprised Ken lost as easy as he did...he really is losing his edge I think...retirement might not be a bad idea...congrats to a rising star in Franklin.

3.Forrest vs Stephan. Before I say anything...I think it should have gone to a 4th round. Round one was clearly Forests round..but round 2 I think Stephan housed him. The third round was way to close to call...things should have gone to round 4. Stephan came close to knocking Forrest out like 2 or 3 times....He was dominating the fight. But, the judges saw it differently. So congrats to Forrest. I would have been seriously angry had they not given Stephan a contract...but, since they did...I can live with the fight as is. It still should have seen a 4th round though. UFC baby there fighters too much.
Stephen

Postby girlninja » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:59 pm

heh yea saw the fights too

^^ never saw the shoe persay but i enjoyed the fights. i know what the styles are cuz i do them so it wasn't too hard to catch up. THought it was really cool how Diego gave credit to God ^^

Shamrock well i'm glad he lost and he was done before the fight started..he just can no longer compete with these new up and coming athletes.

And for teh Forrest fight......all i can say is it was awesome. I actually expected a split decision though..not unanimous and i'm glad that both got a contract..should have both are excellent excellent fighters.
"If not now then when? If not me then who?-anonymous

and of course now i must instill the Dancing BANANA'S!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

WHY AM I CRYING IN FRENCH-Vash the Stampede

ORORORORORO!-Himura Kenshin

:jump: :lol: :thumb:

"It is not weak to value human life!"-Raiden, Mortal Combat II

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

*ADOPTED BY* ..yea i know scary I got a adopted ~_^

Nami
girlninja

Postby agasfas » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:16 pm

Yeah, Forrest I believe won the first and 3rd round. THe second went to Stephan. No doubt. Although many may disagree, I think the judges made a good decision w/ calling Forrest as the winner. They both had pretty hard punches- that's for sure...

THought it was really cool how Diego gave credit to God ^^

I agree, that was awesome. Many would just run their mouths about how they creamed the other... but he maintained his diginity and gave credit to where credit was due. Nice. Diego has my respect.

Also, as an update about the eight-fight card preliminary bouts... for the play by play results check out: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=2646

Brief summary:
Koscheck

Chris Leben vs. Jason Thacker
Leben

Nate

Alex

Mike Swick vs. Alex Schoenauer
Swick

Sam Hoger vs. Bobby Southworth
Sam... Dang that theif won...

If you want the specific details on how they won, check out the site.

agasfas

Postby Stephen » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:11 am

Sam Hoger vs. Bobby Southworth
Sam... Dang that theif won...

Take into consideration that all you saw is a tainted view on the show of what they wanted you to see. And, Bobbys attitude sucked. I would have rooted for anyone over him.
Stephen

Postby agasfas » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:56 am

I'm quite aware fo that... I only like to joke :P

Actually last night I was reading the contracts of the show. Basically they have the right to edit any material how they feel..

"2. Right to Edit: Without limiting any other provision hereof, I hereby grant you the right to edit, change and dub any of the Recordings with any other material, as you determine in your sole discretion."

Reality TV always make things appear the way the producers think will bring in the ratings. I doubt Sam wasn't the only one they protraded differently. It's all about ratings.

agasfas

Postby Stephen » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:46 pm

I think it was ratings and popularity that gave Forrest that decision. Stephan was not as popular as Forrest. I think Dana saw that, and realised he should give them both a contract. I don't know what fight the judges were watching...because Stephan was the aggressor that whole fight pretty much.
Stephen

Postby agasfas » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:24 pm

Dunno about that... I mean regardless of which side anyone was going for, it was pretty even. I mean, all 3 of the judges scorecards were 29-28 in favor for Forrest, that's only 1 point. Also, judges aren't suppost to score according to popularity but by points. I mean no scoring method is perfect and sometimes people are persuaded by popularity, but I wouldn't necessarily say that Forrest's popularity won him the fight. At least I don't think.

Oh, they are going to have a season 2 w/ different weight classes. Should be interesting. Also, the UFC is also thinking of doing weekly UFC fights on SpikeTV in the future. Nothing is set in stone, but it's up in the air.

agasfas

Postby Stephen » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Welterweights and Heavyweights were confirmed for next seasons TUF.

I agree, that was awesome. Many would just run their mouths about how they creamed the other... but he maintained his diginity and gave credit to where credit was due. Nice. Diego has my respect.

I actaully don't respect him very much. He never goes to check on the other guy after fights...watch almost 90% of UFC fights or TUF fights...and they go and congrat each other after the fight...Diago does not. I think he is a very cocky fighter who will learn very fast he is not top dog.
Stephen

Return to General Entertainment