Once Upon a Time in the West

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Once Upon a Time in the West

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:54 am

Has anyone seen this movie? I saw it recently (relatively) and I found it to be a very good yet uneven movie. The story is about one of the most complicated non-thriller plots I ever encountered in a movie: a vicious killer murders (Henry Fonda as the most vicious badguy ever to horrify a audience) a family for no apparent reason (you only find out why 90 minutes into the movie which is more or less 150 minutes) only to discover that there still is an heir who is the lovely Claudia Cardinale, beautiful women with a seedy past. At the same time Charles Bronson arrives in the district as a nameless drifter with a harmonica, looking for someone named Frank. At the same time the murder of the farmer is blamed on Cheyanne, a bandit who roams the area and is played by Jason Robards channeling Humphrey Bogart who falls in love with Claudia Cardinale. Got that? :grin: ;)

The movie was directed by Sergio Leone who made Clint Eastwood a household name with the "Dollars Trilogy". "Once upon a time in the West" is both very different from the preceding westerns yet essentially the same: creepy, oddball music by Ennio Morricone, Spain standing in (mostly) for the old west, large barren desert landscapes and a hero with no name. And the flashback to the traumatic event in Charles Bronson's past is one of the most haunting pay-offs I've ever encountered in a movie.

What made the movie uneven is that the characters are neither fully evil nor totally good (with the exception of Fonda's character who has no redeeming feature). There's nothing wrong with that, usually, because a lot of people tend to be like that but in "Once upon a time in the West" this is not pulled off quite as well as you'd hope; it does not feel (at least for me) as realistic and more like a bad attempt at so-called "realism". I found this (as well as some "adult"-themed scenes which comes off as ill-conceived) rather off putting.

Still the brilliance of Leone lies in his epic, operatic, visual story-telling style that inspired several film-makers for years to come. "OUATITWest" is a good movie and I'd watch it for several years more to come, but I prefer "Fistful of Dollars" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:19 am

yeah, I like the G, B, and U way better than this film...this one nearly put me to sleep several times, and was too long for such a (relatively) small story. At least there was the quarter-or-half-Indian guy. Good music too.
Maledicte

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:18 pm

I only saw bits and pieces.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:57 pm

To me, High Noon was one cowboy western movie that put me to sleep. That was the longest 11 am to 12 pm in history.

I like Gary Cooper and he did a good job in this movie, but the others and the music was blah!

So far, I like The Magnificent Seven as the best cowboy western movie and Support Your Local Sheriff as a Comedy western.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Maledicte » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:09 pm

Support Your Local Sheriff! I've been looking all over for that one!
Maledicte

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:19 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:Support Your Local Sheriff! I've been looking all over for that one!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056H2F/qid=1109884701/br=1-15/ref=br_lf_d_15//104-5509097-2220750?v=glance&s=dvd&n=291056

Amazon is the only place that I have found it. I have the VHS tape of it and haven't got the DVD yet.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Return to General Entertainment