Superman Returns

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:54 pm

I didn't even know some of those... while I like kryptonite as a plot device (for the reasons that termyt pointed out) I think it has gone too far. It only made barely acceptable sense, originally, and different varieties really break down the suspension of disbelief for me. Why do they have these different effects? Because Superman needs a weakness, really...
uc pseudonym

Postby Agent Anderson » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:38 pm

Crappy movie. Too much drama.
Plus, contains worst movie quote ever:
"The world doesn't need a savior."
Agent Anderson

Postby Linksquest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:05 pm

Agent Anderson wrote:Crappy movie. Too much drama.
Plus, contains worst movie quote ever:
"The world doesn't need a savior."

Yea... that sorta bothered me as well.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:47 am

Except Superman refuted that immediately afterward by saying "Every day I hear people crying for one."
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Linksquest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:39 am

Yojimbo wrote:Except Superman refuted that immediately afterward by saying "Every day I hear people crying for one."

I know... but still she wrote that article... which was so weird. "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman."
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:38 pm

Yojimbo wrote:Except Superman refuted that immediately afterward by saying "Every day I hear people crying for one."

I initially blinked at the savior statement, but when followed by the one just quoted I think it is making a very different point. At least, I see it as indicative of how many humans constantly deny their need for anyone and yet do cry out in their lives and actions. Or perhaps we're reading too much into it altogether.

Linksquest wrote:I know... but still she wrote that article... which was so weird. "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman."

Related to that, I'm not quite sure what to make of at the end while she's sitting in front of her computer with the title "Why the World Needs Superman." Is she just not typing because of worry? Or is it intended to be symbolic of something more?
uc pseudonym

Postby creed4 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Linksquest wrote:Wow, I saw this today and I definately must say it was a WEIRD experience. [SPOILER] I agree with what some other people have said here that is was weird how they changed the way that SUPERMAN was portrayed: he slept with Louis Lane... they had a kid. (though in the orginal movie series I think he DID sleep with her... The kid wasn't even focused on half as much as they should have if they were going to make it THAT much of a twist. It was like: louis and her son are staring at the door when they are trapped in the room. *cut scene* 10 minutes later they are STILL staring at the door! If the kid had THOSE kinds of powers I doubt he would have been THAT sickly. When Superman flew over that island he should have fallen instantly... Kryptonite was like... within the entire thing! When he's flying up with it away from the earth huge chunks of Kryptonite are jutting out from the bottom right next to him! [/SPOILER]

As UC mentioned about the references to the previous movies, I did catch them. I thought it just aided in the weird feeling I was having. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone because the people who made this movie didn't want to make a definitive stance: whether to make the movie completely different or completely follow the old movies. It truly did feel like the guy was acting like Christopher Reeves acting like Superman.

[spoiler] Before he went to dly the crystal into space he got a heavy dose of solar radiation so that supercharged him before he was in contact with it.[/spoiler]
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby SnoringFrog » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:52 pm

I didn't really care that much for the movie, but I'm not really a Superman fan.I mean, he was quite original, seeing as how he was the first superhero, and that in itself can be excuse enough for him having too many powers and being too perfect. Now, he seems like just another generic superhero with everything else that's come out, but in actuality he is the original, and the rest are just generic spin-offs.

But, due to the numbers of super heros and comics nowadays that have been much improved since they began, I believe his time has come and gone, and he doesn't need to be as prominent of a present figure as he is. I think he should live on in memories only as the original, but he definately does not need to be kept a contemporary character.

That's why I don't like Superman, but even so, I didn't find the movie to be that great either. It might be because of how I feel about Superman in general, or maybe it was actually the movie, I really don't know, all I know is that I didn't care that much for it.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby bbboy21 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:39 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Another thing is that Superman is also vulnerable to magic.
Um...maybe because Magic is a non-scientific weapon?

I really, really loved the movie; I mean, so what, he's the original. I mean, just watching the beginning just gave nostalga and hair raising feelings. BTW did you noticed how many times Lane got her butt handled? Talk about "tough nails". =/

BTW, you probalby would love it if you were raised wearing Superman underwear...

The reason you don't seem to like him because you take this on as more of a artistic approuch but you know as well that most people don't love him because of that...we need a "hero" that doesn't deal with all the drama crap alot of other heroes go through, just a guy who's there you when you need him. :P
:hug: You gotta love it ^.^
bbboy21

Previous

Return to General Entertainment