Criss Angel/David Blaine..Disturbing much?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Criss Angel/David Blaine..Disturbing much?

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:22 am

Ok I saw a David Blaine thread but I didn't want to grave dig..and this is mostly about Criss Angel..and his show Mind Freak.

On Wednesday night, my sis makes the entire family turn it to his show...and we caught the tail end of it...and in this particular stunt He walks on water!

now...this was the very first time I have ever seen this show..and I was was really disturbed..how can..a mere mortal walk on water? I want to believe it was an allusion..but there were people swimming under him and he even dropped his shoe... and it fell to the bottom..

I gotta say..as I watch this..I get a creepy feeling..and I almost want to cry....

David Blaine is no different...

The bible says to watch out for stuff like this...so...what I am asking is your opinions on this show...and stuff like that..

btw here is the addy

http://www.aetv.com/criss_angel/index.jsp
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:00 am

I've seen much of this Criss Angel on metacafe. Among them I think it was things like levitation and such. Though I have no ansver to your question somebody decribed him as the worlds no.1 magician.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:10 am

Magicians are by nature illusionists. A good magician also never reveals his secrets. I can understand your distaste and even uncomfort with this stunt, but like all other magicians, there is a trick to it that we don't know, and never will.

To quote Wikipedia

Magic, including the arts of prestidigitation and conjuring, is the art of entertaining an audience by performing illusions that baffle and amaze, often by giving the impression that something impossible has been achieved, almost as if the performer had magic or supernatural powers. Yet, this illusion of magic is created entirely by natural means.

Unlike in the past, almost no performers today actually claim to possess supernatural powers (although there are exceptions to this, they are regarded as charlatans). It is understood by everyone that the effects in the performance are accomplished through sleight of hand (also called legerdemain), misdirection, deception, collusion with a member of the audience, apparatus with secret mechanisms, mirrors, and other trickery (hence the illusions are commonly referred to as "tricks"). The performer seeks to present an effect so clever and skilful that the audience cannot believe their eyes, and cannot think of the explanation. The sense of bafflement is part of the entertainment. In turn, the audience play a role in which they agree to be entertained by something they know to be a deception.

I can understand your unease and discomfort at such a thing, and don't watch it if it bothers you, I cannot fault you for that. But you can rest assured he has no supernatural powers, and there is a trick to it we don't know.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby the_lizardqueen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:17 pm

I find Criss Angel to be way, way too far over the top to be threatening. His illusions are so theatrical that I tend to automatically roll my eyes and dismiss them as really fancy tricks and special effects.

David Blaine on the other hand, is slightly more convincing. Especially back in the day when he mostly stuck to card tricks, now those were convincing, or at the very least impressive. But now he's too busy living underwater and enclosing himself in ice to worry about practical illusions *shakes head*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:55 am

You can find out how to do most of David Blaine's tricks with a quick search. Me and my cousin a year back or so tried alot of them. Even the "levitation" one I could do and still look convincing.

Yes it is kind of discomforting but I would not get too worried over this. After all they're not claiming to have supernatural powers. They know what the things they're doing are illusions.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Linksquest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:37 am

That's weird. I have never heard of these guys, but the walking on water thing is understably strange. I think it was definately illusion... there is such a clear thing as glass! I would have to see it... but these people are masters of illusion; they try to make it look real. I wouldn't worry about it.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Eastkun » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:03 am

Yeah, all of their stuff is obviously fake. I'm not disturbed by it. Sometimes I watch Mind Freak just for the entertainment.
Banned by my own request.
Eastkun

Postby Pent » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:27 am

Illusions only, but still bewildering.
Pent

Postby dyzzispell » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:49 pm

David Blaine freaks me out, but I still know he's an illusionist. The bigger tricks are, to me, obvious illusions. Some of his smaller stuff is creepy though... :eyeroll:

As for Criss Angel, although he is impressive, he doesn't scare me so much. I notice the handy camera editing, and sly camera angles that would easily hide anything that would give the trick away. Besides, I would have to see him in person on the street do one of these tricks before I believed them. I have trouble believing anything I see on TV, despite the crowd response. I try REALLY hard not to be gullible about stuff (for example, chain emails!).

I've always had a problem with magicians - tell me if I am the only one here. Their whole profession is built on deceiving people. Am I the only one who has a problem with that? :lol:
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am

[quote="Linksquest"]That's weird. I have never heard of these guys, but the walking on water thing is understably strange. I think it was definately illusion... there is such a clear thing as glass! I would have to see it... but these people are masters of illusion]

It would have had to be really strong actually, since there were people swimming under him... though I would vote for tricky editing and camera work right now unless I saw it live.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to General Entertainment