When the Worst Soccer Teams Collide.

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

When the Worst Soccer Teams Collide.

Postby the_lizardqueen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:13 pm

Did anyone else watch 'The Other Final?'

In light of the current World Cup Final, 'The Passionate Eye' aired this quirky soccer-related documentary just last night. After reading a summary of 'The Other Final' in the Entertainment Section of the newspaper, I knew I just had to watch it and I wasn't disappointed.

In June, 2002, on the exact same day that the final showdown between Brazil and Germany was occurring, a Dutch soccer fan (who was dissapointed that his team had not qualified) decided to stage a game between the two lowest ranked teams in the world, the Caribbean island of Montserrat and the Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan (ranking 203nd and 202rd respectively). The game went ahead without sponsorship or any aims of making money, it was soccer for soccer's sake.

It was incredibly fun to watch the different cultures interacting and the multiple mishaps during the game, like a dog wandering around the field during the game and the Montserrat goalkeeper kicking the ball to the opposing team. Even better, this documentary totally appeals to those that love rooting for the underdog :grin:

The only problem I had was the fact that I couldn't for the life of me figure out which team to be rooting for, as I wanted them both to win. Overall, it was a very dynamic, entertaining documentary with a very warm and fuzzy ending ^^

http://www.theotherfinal.com/
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:16 pm

Sounds really fun.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Return to General Entertainment