why are religious movies so bad?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:13 pm

I think the reason for the popularity of Mel Gibson's Passion was because
it was one of the rare religious movies that was actually rather good.
Or so I have heard as I haven't seen it myself.

As far as Christian music goes...I can look back and remember what it
was like in the late '70s and early '80s when Keith Green was still alive
and before Amy Grant and a lot of others decided to crossover to do
Pop or Country.That was certainly a better time as the music was lot
better back then.IMHO. :)
Btw:Did anyone else read where Petra is going to call it quits?
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:34 am

Technomancer wrote:There are religiously oriented films that are masterpieces, and that do deliever the goods so to speak, but there aren't too many of them. In addition, one is forced to wonder at times just how many of the Christian audience "get" such films when they are speaking from a denominational tradition that is not there own. Then again, there are those members of the audience that seem determined to miss the point no matter what any one does, 'The Last Temptation of Christ' being a prime example.

That is definitely another aspect that must be considered: does the audience (as a whole) truly want "good" films? Most likely, I think that many want only films that treat operate under a very strict set of beliefs. Because many groups with this philosophy have very different beliefs, any one movie that satisfied one group would be shunned by the others and unpopular overall. One aspect of good writing in general is that it forces the person experiencing it to look beyond their comfort zone, and many people do not wish to do this.

Obviously, CAA is not representative of the general audience.
uc pseudonym

Postby creed4 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:20 am

mitsuki lover wrote:I think the reason for the popularity of Mel Gibson's Passion was because
it was one of the rare religious movies that was actually rather good.
Or so I have heard as I haven't seen it myself.

As far as Christian music goes...I can look back and remember what it
was like in the late '70s and early '80s when Keith Green was still alive
and before Amy Grant and a lot of others decided to crossover to do
Pop or Country.That was certainly a better time as the music was lot
better back then.IMHO. :)
Btw:Did anyone else read where Petra is going to call it quits?

Yes and I'm so Sad :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: :waah!:

Any way I think Christian movie are starting to get better. Look at Billy Gram movie... and a few others
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Uriel » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:58 pm

I havent seen Mel Gibson's passion...do Christians really need to?
Peace be with you...look not on our sins but on the faith of Your church.
Uriel

Postby inkhana » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:29 pm

Should this thread head into an actual discussion of the Passion, it will be locked due to unpleasantness in the past. Let's not go there, ok? :)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Heed » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:05 am

Ok... AHEM Constantine, Stigmata and the Excorcist are NOT Christian movies.

Chrs\istian movies genre includes those movies made by Christians (e.g. Left Behind, Escape From Hell, The Passion (Well director is Catholic, but closer to Christianity than most) and some others.
The Straight and Narrow

I chose to walk the straight and narrow road, but one day I lost balance and fell off it. I had fallen onto some sharp rocks and injured myself. There were people passing by who would merely stare at me, and then keep walking. Thoughts of worthlessness entered into my mind, and as I chose to believe the lies, my wounds grew worse. I was so overcome with grief that I nearly gave up... but then a man walked up to me and stopped. Without saying a word, he started to wrap my wounds, he gave me some water, and then lifted me up and embraced me. He then whispered these words into my ear, "I love you my child." As he said those words I could feel all the worthlessness and despair fall away. He then held out his hands. They had huge holes in them. He then said, "Walk with me." I then took his hand and we walked together. Every now and then I would fall from the road, but no matter where I fell, he was always there to pick me up and tell me that He loved me.

-by Micah Smith
Heed

Quick Passion Review

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:32 am

Uriel wrote:I havent seen Mel Gibson's passion...do Christians really need to?

What a strange question. Well, I don't think God will hold it against you when Judgement Day arrive - the "Passion" is merely an artistic representation of a Biblical event and wether or not you'll like or admire the movie can not be used as a barometer of your faith. The movie has it flaws (and does go overboard on occasion) but I think it is a good movie that focuses on Christ's sufferings. I do consider it to be a Christian movie but it is incredibly violent.

If you want a much better telling of the story of Christ (all of it) try finding Franco Zeffirelli mini-series called "Jesus of Nazareth". It's 371 minutes long but its worth it (although most DVD editions have been edited down). It also has an A-List cast (for 1977 when it was made though) that includes Robert Powell, Anne Bancroft, Ernest Borgnine, Claudia Cardinale, James Earl Jones, Stacy Keach, James Mason, Laurence Olivier, Donald Pleasence, Christopher Plummer and Anthony Quinn
bigsleepj

Postby Technomancer » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:27 am

Uriel wrote:I havent seen Mel Gibson's passion...do Christians really need to?

Well, St. Peter won't ask to see your receipts ]http://www.decentfilms.com/commentary/vaticanfilmlist.html[/url]
(Scroll down to the bottom to see the actual list)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:59 am

Heed wrote:Ok... AHEM Constantine, Stigmata and the Excorcist are NOT Christian movies.

I thought the same at first, but realized that the language was ambiguous and I was interpreting it in the wrong way. Uriel said that current religious movies were bad (true, from a Christian perspective if not a filmmaker's), and wished that there were Christian movies available. But the later use of the word "Christian" needn't apply to the previous titles.
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:23 pm

Once again, religious does NOT equal Christian.
Stephen

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:16 pm

I havent seen Mel Gibson's passion...do Christians really need to?

We didn't need to a few years ago and there's no reason why we would now.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kireihana » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:58 pm

Heed wrote: (Well director is Catholic, but closer to Christianity than most) and some others.

Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity; in fact it was the first.
Kireihana

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Stop it. A mod posted about not getting into the whole Passion debate, and you guys are heading right at it again! Get this thread back on topic or its getting locked. And if someone gets the great idea to ignore Inks words again, we can start passing out strikes.
Stephen

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:32 pm

[quote="Kireihana"]Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity]

Thank you sheesh I don't know how many Christians who I've had to tell that to. It gets really aggrivating and I'd find it actually insulting if I didn't hear it so often.:eyeroll:
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Previous

Return to General Entertainment