Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow

Postby V8Tsunami » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:54 pm

Anybody seen this one yet? It's got a great 40's-era sci-fi look to it, and I've heard it's pretty good.
This message has been brought to you by the Members of the My Job Drives Me Nutz Association. :dizzy::hits_self:lol:

"I probably won't enter heaven nice, clean and neat. More like sliding in sideways saying, man, what a ride" :lol:

@)}~ Carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA moderators.
V8Tsunami

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:53 pm

i really want to go see this, my friend said it was good

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Gypsy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:03 am

I really liked this movie quite well. I plan on getting the dvd when it comes out. The overal originality of Sky Captain wins out over the somewhat cheesy (even considering the genre) dialogue. And the relationship between the captain and Polly was hilarious.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Lightbringer » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:08 am

I liked how the color gradually become more normal through the whole movie. The look of the film was good, it was certainly different. Definatly a movie better viewed in a theater. i dont think i would have enjoyed it much on vhs or dvd, not unless i happen to find a plasma screen on the side of the road anytime soon.

I understand how it was supost to look, but the robots bothered me,they are like zoids. their built in a manner that would make it impossible for them to turn. Other then that, i did like the robot planes. (wich are also pretty unrealistic but they did look cool) The ending bothered me. (wont say why, if you've seen the movie you'll know)

If i had to rate this movie, it would get a 6 out of 10. Better then average B flicks but not that good.
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Ashley » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:17 am

Eh, I didn't like it so much. I had been very interested in it from the previews, especially since I like Jude Law, but I found it disappointing--in my mind, it didn't deliver the stealthy, plot-twisting sort of action hero movie I was expecting. Focused on the action and blowing things up and left the plot rather shallow. I did have sort of an Indiana-Jones-y feeling with all the travel and locales and pacing, but that didn't save it in my opinion. I guess it was alright, but I definately wouldn't go see it again. B- in my book.

I must say though, the company made it worth it. ^^ (Me, Aaron, Shatterheart and Gypsy saw it together)
Ashley

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:29 am

It was ok...it was so unique that I won't say anything really bad about it...a few small things bugged me. Overall I thought it was worth seeing in theater. Not somthing I aim to own someday...but still, very interesting.
Stephen

Postby Gypsy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:28 am

From what I gathered it was supposed to be shallow and a little cornballish. It had similar pacing and tone as movies from the 30's and 40's back when the art of motion picture was still being developed. The composition is vintage - that's why there was dramatic close-ups, shots of hands pointing upwards and over the top music scores - not to mention the archaic display of "future" technology. That's classic stuff, but like many "classic" things you have to take it at face value. When compared to the latest filming techniques and trends, of course it's going to seem way off. I saw the movie as more of a fitting tribute to a bygone era rather than shooting for Oscar winning elements.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Technomancer » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 pm

I went to see it with a couple of friends (hard-core gamers all), and we had a blast. We were expecting something corny and cliched, and got what we paid for. Basically, it's 1930's a style pulp thriller (which is what Indiana Jones really was anyways) done with better special effects. It probably helps if you've enjoyed stuff from that period (e.g. Flash Gordon). A good time was had by all, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Galant » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:20 pm

I enjoyed it. It was fun, had good character interaction, action, and I left with a smile on my face.

I mean what do you go to the movies for if not an enjoyable time? To be honest I'm a bit tired of all the usual cookie-cut action movies with 'super-duper' effects and characters who need an attitude adjustment or reality check.

Less and less I want 'super-cool' and much more prefer 'real' characters, preferably with a self-deprecating wit - rather than a 'rip everyone else apart' wit.

...so... when's Blade 3 coming out?

:)
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Adopted by Starfire!

OATS - for Shoobie goodness!
Galant

Postby madphilb » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:18 pm

I haven't seen it yet, and the movie seems to be getting mixed reviews. Amongst my RL geek friends who went to see it most didn't care for it.

Honestly the movie wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention if Microsoft didn't win stake in the movie over it's similarities to Chrimson Skyes.

I might see about going to see it tomorrow afternoon... still waiting for power to be turned back on at my house, might be good for a afternoon showing.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:36 pm

IMHO, the unique retro look of the film made up for its weak plot (robots takin' over the world. I've never heard that one before!!!) and poor scripting. I rather enjoyed it.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:38 pm

I saw it! It was cool!
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby agasfas » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:33 pm

I heard good things, but i don't really want to go see it. The look of the film kinda gets under my skin and the atmosphere didn't seem to interest me when watching the previews. So i think i'll skip this one. :)
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby noeleon » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:33 pm

sky captain was awesome i recomed that everybody see it.but hey just an opinon.
jesus wasnt born for christmas.
but was born for the cross.

"dont worry about the world coming to the end tommorow its alredy tommorow in Austraila"
charles shultuz creator of "peanuts"comic
noeleon

Postby Ssjjvash » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:36 pm

I loved the movie! the way they made everything look was kinda difficult to get used to, but it was definitely worth watching. Some of it was very funny! And I don't recall anything nasty in there.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Jasdero » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:32 am

Hmm... so... most of you liked it. When I saw the previews for it, I thought it looked pointless and ridiculous. Maybe I should see it... I do like Angelina Jolie... but... I dunno...
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Inferno » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:31 am

I liked it alot I liked the 30's/40's style it was in.
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby SwordSkill » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:35 am

I liked how they took the effort to make it appear like a comic book unfolding, especially with the graphic's texturing. Story and dialogue I'm far from being wild about, though. Resurrecting Sir Laurence Olivier was quite interesting. XD
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:55 am

Saw it recently at a lesser known theater in town, and there was absolutely NOBODY but me and my friends in that theater. (And this was a really long theater) So that really added to the element of watching it. Was so surreal with all those empty seats and you're watching this sci-fi movie that seems like it's from the 40s. Anyways, the movie was good, but not really the best. Some of the CGI was great, while some just stunk. The story was pretty similar to Blue Sub No.6 with that classic crazy scientist guy who wants to rid the earth of "evil" or make it reborn and such. But it was still pretty good. The Robots in the beginning were, ahh, magical. ;)
Ichigo_89

Return to General Entertainment