Neil Gaiman's Stardust

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Neil Gaiman's Stardust

Postby Maledicte » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:21 pm

I just saw this today. What a fun little movie! I think my friend described it best: "The Princess Bride with updated graphics." (In tone, not in plot)

It was a bit lumpy at points, but the acting was good and the story fresh and sweet (I read the book a while ago but I forgot how it went). The special effects don't look very realistic but I think they were going for a more magical look rather than a realistic one.

Favorite characters: the brothers. Especially when they are dead.

And it had Robert deNiro. Though what kind of Robert deNiro I'll not say because that would spoil the fun.

"Arrrgh!"

Too bad the marketing for this movie sucked.
Maledicte

Postby Sheol777 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:58 pm

I wanted to see Mirrormask when it came out all those years ago (also by Gaiman), but I never heard much good about it, so I have yet to see it. This looks interesting, I might have to see it.

Man, Gaiman needs his big break. Especially while comic book movies are still hot. I would LOVE to see a great adaptation of The Sandman, but I know that Hollywood could screw it up badly.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Maledicte » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:39 pm

I'm pretty sure his big break will be the Beowulf movie. He co-wrote the screenplay. It was also the first trailer they showed during Stardust. After that, Coraline is coming out and Gaiman himself is going to direct Death: The High Cost of Living.

Mirrormask is a very good movie in my opinion. Worth a watch.
Maledicte

Postby Sheol777 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:52 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:Gaiman himself is going to direct Death: The High Cost of Living.

Mirrormask is a very good movie in my opinion. Worth a watch.

What? The supporting character from The Sandman is getting a movie before the book itself? Where did you see this at? Do yo uhave a link I can read?

On your recommendation I will have to look into Mirrormask now.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:17 pm

I've been waiting for this movie for ages! Im so glad its getting positive reviews.

I did like Mirrormask but I think I over-hyped it cause when I finally saw it, I was a little disappointed. But ya its a good movie.

And ya I've been waiting for Coraline for a while now too :D I love the book. The movie is gonna be stop-motion directed by the guy that directed Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach which I think will suit the story perfectly :D
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:34 am

I want to see this movie badly. Not as badly as Beowulf, but still badly. I'm glad to hear that it is good.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Puguni » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:27 am

I want to see this movie, and will probably rent it. All my real life friends suck and would rather watch Rush Hour 3.

I need new friends.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Tarnish » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:26 pm

I saw it, and it was pretty good. Can't say I really liked any of the characters much, though. And the plot was pretty predictable, but I can definitely think of worse ways to spend five dollars.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 am

I totally wanna see this movie. Haven't read the book yet (my reading list is long enough already and it doesn't seem to be getting any shorter), but Gaiman is one of my favorite writers and I'll look into pretty much anything he's done. I even have one of his children's picture books, "The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish."
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Sheol777 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:30 pm

Ok, I finally saw this..AND IT WAS FANTASTIC! ...if you liked The Princess Bride you NEED to see this. Wow this should have done much better, just another movie that suffers from poor marketing and slips through the cracks.

From the set up you can tell where the movie is going to end up...but man, the ride there is not as predictable...I think that was he whole gimmick of the movie. Predictable plot, non-predictable execution.
Sheol777

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:57 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:Gaiman himself is going to direct Death: The High Cost of Living.

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa. Seriously!? I thought they'd scrapped the idea!

I've seen the movie, and I don't think I've ever been able to say this in my life after just one or two viewings (twice in one weekend. Heh) but I think this very well may be my favorite movie. Fantastic. Simply fantastic.

Arrgh!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby creed4 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Curious but haven't seen it
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:41 pm

creed4 wrote:Curious but haven't seen it

Do so. Soon. It's done so poorly it's very nearly out of theaters.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby creed4 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:11 am

sorry, I have money issues right now, that keep me from doing so
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby greyscale42 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Good movie. I recommend it to anyone looking for something in the fairy tales genre.
greyscale42

Return to General Entertainment